TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

So how are those people faring, who push through the vigorous exercises? Were there success stories?

I suppose they must work for someone, or I’d think the medical profession would figure out a better plan.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty that I did not do any formal PT for my revision. I have not been exercising like I planned. My knee is healing but I still have soreness, mostly in the upper thigh area. I sit for 1- 2 hrs. off and on at my desk top computer and my knees are bent at a 90 degree angle. I feel the pressure in the revision thigh leg area. When I get up, I hobble for a minute and limp some. I feel that if I started doing my leg lifts again and ride the stationary bike, my quads would be stronger and I would not limp. Last night we met a couple for Mexican food and sitting in a booth for 2 hrs. really made the knee feel uncomfortable. When I got up, I knew I would be limping....someone commented on it, asking about how my knee was doing. Asking if I was doing PT, etc.
I did take my 2 ES Tylenol at bedtime (even though I had a "skinny margarita") plus Robaxin 750 mg (which I have not done in about a month and half). I do know my knee revision worked and I am better at this time frame compared to my original TKR. Just wish things were further along. Oh, I also have been wearing different shoes (flip-flops) which have changed my gait....that doesn't help with the soreness!

Last edited:
This morning I woke up with a greatly less swollen knee. I'm pretty excited about that! I don't imagine it will stay that way, I know I get more swollen in the evening, but this is a very good sign!
A less swollen knee is definitely something to be excited about! To have it more swollen at night is normal. You're up on it a whole lot more during the day than you are during the night. That causes it to swell. But, seeing it is less is fantastic!

I don't feel guilty but I must admit to sometimes wondering if I'll be sorry some day! I don't think so, the evidence is there for me. I feel better week by week so something is working. My big test will be when we go on our holiday to Gran Canaria. A month in the sun will be wonderful and I know I'll walk a lot more than I do now, when it's cold snowy and icy out.

Okay - a real biggie for me! I had a bath tonight in my deep tub and unlike the last time (two weeks ago) I didn't have to empty the tub and put a towel down to get out. I got out of the tub all by myself like a big girl! My two biggest hopes after this surgery were that I would be able to go up and down the stairs properly and that I would be able to get in and out of the tub. I have achieved these aims now. I am incredibly happy. Everything else now will be gravy.

@grandma chris
Congratulations! I am going to attempt the tub this week. I can go up stairs normally now but when I go down foot over foot I have pain in my kneecap area. Hopefully will improve. You are doing great.

@Elad1002 thank you . It takes longer to be able to go down the stairs but it will come. I am still slower coming down but it gets better every day. Also, it's easier earlier in the day.

My two biggest hopes after this surgery were that I would be able to go up and down the stairs properly and that I would be able to get in and out of the tub. I have achieved these aims now. I am incredibly happy. Everything else now will be gravy.
Yippee! Achieving two big goals of yours have been met. No wonder you are happy.

Today is my three month kneeversary so I thought a little report was called for. My knee gets better and better almost daily. I keep saying how it is not as swollen but every time I measure it's really the same! So maybe the swelling is going down inside? Whatever, my bend is getting so much better. I have been going to aqua fitness in our warmer water wave pool and that seems to be paying off like crazy. Every time I go, the next day my bend seems to be so much better. One of these days I will go upstairs to the gym part of our Y and ask one of the people there to measure my bend. Tonight, the swelling feels down again and I noticed - for the first time - that my incision is not in the middle of my leg. It's a little closer to the inside. I think that's going to be very good for the future. I read here on someones thread that it's easier to kneel if the incision is not right in the middle. I haven't tried yet but... I haven't had any pain for a long time but until probably the last week I've had an ache on the lower inside part of my knee, a lot like it was before my surgery. Before I knew that I was bone on bone I thought that pain was from a ligament. When I still had the ache after my surgery I figured that the ligament was still compromised. Well, I realized today that I haven't felt that ache for a while - maybe a week or so. I have great hope that it's gone for good. I still can't discern my kneecap clearly and there is a little bump to the lower right side of my knee. That swelling is going down too but still there. I'm happy I had this surgery and although I don't have the bend I had before my new knee, I am hopeful. After all, I'm only one quarter of the way there, right??

What a lovely, positive post. As you say, you're only quarter of the way. It all sounds good to me. Happy Kneeversary!

I went to aqua exercise again today and it felt so good. I haven't been upstairs to be measured yet and I think that's because I'm afraid to, in case my number is not as good as I think it is. Maybe I'm just learning how to function with a lesser bend? I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as it functions!

Whatever your ROM is now it will continue to improve. You’re only 25% healed. You have lots of time. It’s probably better not knowing. Look how happy you are with your recovery. That is what really counts!

I had my TKR on 20 November. I followed BoneSmart way of doing things quite religiously as I really really didn't want pain!

So anyway, I went to pt a few times - only once a week, for about four weeks - and when I went I would do the bicycle and walk around the perimeter of the room.
Once or twice I did very mild stretching exercises but in general I was a very non-compliant patient!

Once I got clearance to go in the water, I went to the warm pool at the rehab centre and there was also non-compliant. I did the water cycling and some up and down the very low stair they had in the pool but mostly refused to do squats and lunges. The rehab technician was very worried about me, but I stuck to my guns.

As soon as my doctor told me I was doing fine (without measuring me - just eyeballing) and to only see him again if I developed a problem, I stopped going to pt. My ROM at that time was very limited. The last time I was measured, the very inexperienced therapist measured me at 100 and when I whooped with joy she measured me again and said it was 85. So I really don't know what it was!

Now I go twice a week to my local Y and do aqua fitness in the warmer water wave pool. I do the aerobics part and about three weeks ago started doing squats and lunges.

I still don't know what my range of motion is, it has not been measured since the 85 - 100 incident. But I do know that I can go up and down stairs foot over foot with no pain, I don't really need a cane anymore but I do use it because it's icy out there! I can get in and out of my rather deep bathtub without help the way I did before my surgery.

There is a gym upstairs from the pool and when I'm wearing shorts again, I will go upstairs and ask one of the fitness people to measure my ROM. I really don't care what the number is - I have the functionality I need.

I don't have any pain and I still get stiff sometimes, so then I elevate and ice.

On Monday I leave to go overseas and that involves three flights, one of them 10 hours long! I am bringing some instant cold packs, the kind you fold over and they ice up. I don't actually really think I'll need them but oh well, I bought them!

At my last appointment, my doctor told me that my ROM would continue improving for a year or more. He's right. I'm only past three months out and every week it's better.

@grandma chris ,
I've copied your post, above, from eaflorida's thread. I've also left your original post in his thread.
Thank you for giving him a very good testament to only exercising gently.

Your post was a very good update on your progress as well, and that's why I copied it into your own recovery thread.

@Celle thank you! I realized after I typed that quite long post that really it should be in my thread. I appreciate your moving it and the kind words!

Today we start our long trek to the sun. First, a one hour flight and a three hour wait. Then a 10 hour flight which takes us to Heathrow in the morning. A bus to Gatwick and an overnight in a hotel there. A very early morning four hour flight to Las Palmas and a transfer to Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria. Finally, our little hidey hole in the sky! I am bringing those squeezy gel things that turn into ice packs, an ice bag in case they confiscate the gel things, the leftover big meds from my surgery, lots of tylenol, and my cane. We have bulkhead seats for the long flights so that should be okay. When we get there, we have a flight of stairs to go down before we get to our apartment. I expect I shall be fine and I'm so looking forward to the sunshine and heat! I'll let you know how I make out.

@grandma chris,

Oh, that sounds wonderful. A lot of travel to get where you're going but then you have a nice long time there in the sun.
We leave in 2 weeks for a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean. We got snow and ice here again this weekend and I just want to be warm. I am taking so much stuff with me. Any and all meds I might need plus an antiseptic, antibiotic cream, bandaids, etc. I just had a partial toenail removal and I worry about infection, insect bites, etc. It's not as if there's a pharmacy on the ship.
Have a wonderful time and let us know how you're doing.

We made it! We are at our destination in beautiful Gran Canaria. Long long flights and here is my short trip report. No trouble at all with my knee in the plane. I went on a few walks to the back of the plane about 50 rows. I used a squeezee ice pack thing which was only marginally useful. My knee was not particularly swollen in the plane. I had not requested a wheelchair as I felt pretty good. I did use my cane and we did have bulkhead seats which have more legroom. A very long walk to luggage and I was still okay. Waiting for luggage was brutal! The standing around made my leg swell like crazy. I iced at the hotel and the next day my experience was the same. Good on the plane, great when walking, miserable when standing around. No pain though. Having the cane was lovely whenever there was a long lineup such as security and customs. Every time I was ushered to the front of the line, thank goodness!
I knew that might happen as many people on Bonesmart have said that about standing. So for the next four weeks we'll be here in the beautiful sunshine and warmth. As I've said before, lots of stairs and hills here. I will have to be careful! I'm going to try to attach a picture I just took of our view. I will have to post later

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back