TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

I dream about kneeling or getting down on one knee. I also dream about mounting a horse easily. The dreams first appeared around three months post-op, when I couldn’t do any of those things. The dreams still show up on occasion.
 
Something weird today. My knee feels much less tight. I can see that it's still swollen but the really tight feeling over my kneecap and scar is not there. Also, the skin over my kneecap is much more loose. My bend seems a little better too. This is quite thrilling and I hope it carries on tomorrow.
 
That’s a great development!! Fingers crossed it continues for you
 
As the swelling goes down, the ROM improves. Since it looks the same outside, your inside swelling must be less. Great!
 
I have Dreams that I wake up just before the surgery, RIP out the IV and run out of the hospital. In the dream I'm running, something I havent been able to do in years. It must be the way I am handling my regret.
 
@Elad1002 I'm sorry you are regretful. I am not at all. Although I don't yet have the bend I had before surgery, I also don't have pain. I can go up and down stairs foot over foot and that arthritis pain is gone. I'm slow when I'm doing it, but it's getting better every day. I went back to the pool yesterday for half of the aqua therapy class. I told the instructor I would only stay for 30 minutes so she made those 30 minutes all about the legs, and then cautioned me when something was a little harder. I ended up feeling great and this morning, I unconsciously crossed my right leg over my left - and it was great! Also, last night for the first time I was able to sleep all night without my wedge, just a pillow between my knees - I slept on both sides and on my back. It was stellar! I continue to have a great recuperation. I sometimes had doubts about following the Bonesmart way but I don't doubt any more. It's working out exactly the way it's supposed to.
 
It's been a few days since my last post. Quite good days as it happens where my knee, although still very swollen, feels a lot better. @sistersinhim I think you are right when you say probably the internal swelling is going down. When I cross my leg over the other one or otherwise slightly twist I can feel a kind of flanking in there. It doesn't hurt but it feels weird. Thank goodness I've been reading Bonesmart and I know that this is okay. And very biggest best news is that tonight I had a bath!!! Yes, I knew that getting in would be no trouble but I was not sure about getting out. My bath is quite deep and I had a wonderful long hot soak. Hubby and I had a dry run that worked well but when it was time to get out I got scared. I rolled over so that I was face down and tried to pull myself up. The bath still had water in it and I got scared about slipping and bashing my face. So I let the water out and then put a towel down. It was easy then to get myself up by standing on the towel. I am a happy camper!
 
So creative to get out of your bath! I would love to be able to get in and out but no prayer of that. You are doing well. Must be such an emotional relief now too
 
Oh, those wonderful, relaxing baths! You figured out a way out of there! That's another big step forward in this recovery!
 
Oh, baths are lovely! You handled it perfectly by thinking things through. Eventually you won’t have to think so much, but at first these new knees can be a little challenging. :bath:
 
Just past eleven weeks and feeling great. Stairs are getting easier every day, knee feeling better too. Hasn't been sore for ages. Still swollen and no idea what my flexion number is but extension must be zero or close as I can lay my leg flat and walk without a limp. Still using a cane outside for security and when I first get up after sleeping as I am very unsteady then. I have never had a zinger (quick find some wood to knock on!) and no numb spots. For the last couple of weeks I've been attending a gentle aqua exercise class for an hour twice a week and I think that has helped immensely. This post is meant to be part of my record and I hope it can be encouraging to others. I will try to attach a picture of my incision. Life is good. Can't upload from my phone. I will try a different venue.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Grandma Chris gets a new knee!
    knee 11 wks.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 265
That’s such a great report all around!! It’s the best feeling when you sit back and realize you are posting positive things isn’t it?
Knocking on wood for you you never experience the zingers!
Keep going... great inspiration for us!!
 
Wow, no zingers!:happydance:No numb spots!:wowspring:That's amazing!:yay:
 
I went to aqua exercises yesterday and enjoyed it mightily! My knee has been feeling better and better and yesterday in the water I really did the lunges and the squats. I didn't feel any pain at all and found that later during the day I was a lot more limber. I wonder if I'm having success with that is that I waited so long? At some point I will go upstairs to the gym part of my Y and ask someone to actually measure me. For now, going up and down stairs foot over foot becomes easier and faster every day. Last night I was able to cross my right leg over my left with no stiffness and in the most natural way since my surgery. I continue to elevate whenever I'm sitting at home and I ice about twice a day for as long as the ice lasts.
 
So I had joined a couple of knee replacement groups on my fave social media. In the end I had to leave them. The insistence on pushing through the pain and doing vigorous exercise was more than I could take. Poor them. I continue to recover well. This morning I woke up with a greatly less swollen knee. I'm pretty excited about that! I don't imagine it will stay that way, I know I get more swollen in the evening, but this is a very good sign! Still feels a little unbending so maybe it's time to do some more stretching? I do some when I'm sitting in a normal chair with no elevation. Just gentle stuff. I'm a happy camper! Have a great weekend everyone.
 
Back
Top Bottom