TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

I feel that I'm behaving like a little child! All day long I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat but when nighttime comes, it takes me ages to get sleepy. Silly, contrary body. Had a good day today, went for a walk to oon hour neighbourhood Starbucks. So nice to get out into the fresh air. As my walker is not designed for outside - and doesn't work well outside at all! - I used a cane and my husband's hand and that worked out very well. I thought I was doing very well with pain control, actually having very little pain, so today I cut out the T3s and took extra strength Tylenol instead. That worked fine but by 6 this evening, my knee was in some pain. So I caved and took a T3. Maybe I will continue taking one or two a day, depending on how I feel. Yeah, yeah, let the knee be the boss.
 
Sleeping is really good for you. When you're asleep, your body can concentrate on healing even more. So, sleep away!
 
Grandma Chris, sleep disturbance is part of this recovery, I'm afraid.
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

It's only a month since you had this major surgery and your body needs more time to adjust to that and recover its normal patterns.
Meanwhile, sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can. All those daytime naps will add up to the amount of sleep you need. Don't try to stay awake during the daytime, in the hopes that you'll sleep better at night. It doesn't seem to work like that.

Sleepless nights are very common - most of us have had them. I moved into the spare room after each of my knee replacements, so that I could put the light on or watch TV during the night, without disturbing my husband.
 
Thank you both! I tried sleeping in our bed the first night I came home and that didn't work at all! I've been nesting on the recliner in our living room. I can't seem to sleep flat yet. It will happen, I'm sure.
Edited to add thanks for the article about sleep. I've read all the recovery articles, more than once, but I still need to be reminded!
 
I really have read all the recovery articles over and over and still it seems not everything sinks in. Have I hurt myself? I have been quite adament about doing this the bonesmart way. I ice very frequently, many times a day. I elevate any time I am not walking or standing. I have been for some walks in my neighbourhood and as of week four I am getting out for a twenty or thirty minute walk once a day plus adls. I am currently taking two. 500mg Tylenol two or three times a day and in the last couple of days have taken two t3s per day.. I am not feeling pain, that is all good. I have a small exercise cycle thingy that only has pedals and I've been doing that. Somehow I missed the part about heel slides as Josephine endorses. I have not been doing them lying on my back at all. I tried today and was appalled at my lack of Rom. It's it too late for me? I will start doing those now as recommended but really, have I greatly diminished my chances of success?
 
I have not been doing them lying on my back at all. I tried today and was appalled at my lack of Rom
Many of us find our ROM quite a bit less when we are laying down. I still do!

You are far enough along that you really don’t have to do this type of heel slide. Many times I’ve read that Josephine didn’t do heel slides. I think she has that in the articles for some people who feel they must do something.

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Walking is very good! I do think 30 minutes a day at 4 weeks is a bit much, though, unless you feel sure it’s not bothering you.
but really, have I greatly diminished my chances of success?
Relax, you are doing great. :santa hug:
 
You are very welcome! :loveshwr:
 
I have not been doing them lying on my back at all.
You don't walk on your back, non do you ride a bike or shop, etc. Trying to increase your bend on your back isn't necessary. It's best to just walk. That improves your ROM, bend and extension.
It's it too late for me?
Absolutely not!

One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience! Bertschb says:

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.
 
I think you are doing fine . . I am not doing any exercises currently except walking and stretching on my stationary bike - and I was only able to pedal backwards a couple of days ago. My flexion is slow to come - currently between 85 & 90 at almost 6 weeks but I'm confident it will come. Your surgery was a week after mine - we're still healing. Try not to stress about it. :tree lights::dancing:
 
Today was an amazing day! I got about 6.5 hours sleep in my recliner last night. We had one more gift to get and it was a short drive away - across our lake, about 20 minutes. We went early and got the gift card in a skateboard shop, a gift for our grandson. Although it was a skate shop and not the least bit interesting to me, I took the opportunity to walk around a little to check it out. I am STARVED for a little retail therapy! LOL Then we drove back to town and went to have coffee in a local upmarket grocery store (they have a nice little cafe). While my husband was getting our coffee I walked up and down the aisles checking it all out. It was magnificent. Then we had the coffee and went home. Today was the only day I did not snooze - just not tired. I made dinner, cleaned up, had a good productive day and felt good all day. It feels like I've really turned a big corner, even walking with my cane instead of the walker all day. I took 2x tylenol 500mg three times and now I'm getting ready for bed. It's been a wonderful day. I am at 4.5 weeks. There will be backslides, I don't expect that there won't be, but today was great. This is a meant to be a diary entry.
 
Merry Christmas everyone! I believe I joined the ODIC yesterday but was able to overcome. Christmas day of course, although I shared the burden with my girls, plans fall apart! My first husband - the father of my daughters - lives in a care facility close by. Sadly he was widowed a few years ago. Our new family tradition has been we cook the bird, or ham or whatever, and bring all the fixings up to his care home and have the celebration together. It's good for everyone and both he and my present wonderful husband get along very well. Well one of my daughters got very sick on the 23rd with viral pneumonia. There was no question of her preparing food or coming to the party. So in addition to the bird and stuffing, it was potatoes and veg for me With my lovely man's help, w did it Lots of time in the car, lots of stairs, lots of sitting with my leg down. Happy to say I iced when I got home and for half the night, took one T3 before bed and I feel pretty good this morning! I hope you all had a successful Christmas day!
 
I’m glad you had nice family time, what a lovely tradition with your first husband.

I’m sorry your daughter is so sick.

Try to keep your activity low for a few days, if you can, so you can recover well from a day of overdoing. To continue to overdo can push it to a point where it can take a while to recover.
 
It's good for everyone and both he and my present wonderful husband get along very well.
What a blessing! That is very, very unusual! That is so good for your children, you and both husbands!
Well one of my daughters got very sick on the 23rd with viral pneumonia.
How is your daughter doing?
 
My daughter sounds a little better today but has still not been able to eat, it's been days. I feel sick that I cannot come and help her. I sent food yesterday and am urging her to eat at least a little bit.
 
My daughter sounds a little better today but has still not been able to eat, it's been days. I feel sick that I cannot come and help her. I sent food yesterday and am urging her to eat at least a little bit.
I'm glad she sounds better. I'm sure she understands why you can't come to her. At least you sent her some food. If she can't eat solid food, maybe she can drink some protein drinks. They will help her to heal. Is she home?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom