TKR Graduated!

over the past week, my knee has developed a "klunk" at times. No pain or sensation, other than feeling the slight bump feeling as I walk. It seems to stop after a little while of walking. Any thoughts?
 
I tripped "gracefully" over some junk, by leaping over it. my left heel hit my butt again. It's so funny I cannot get it there manually, but this is twice it has happened "automatically". :shrug:
 
Hope it didn't hurt. And if you could give me some tips on tripping gracefully I would really appreciate it.
 
For the first time id a couple of years, I stood in line at the office for a catered lunch. I had been either first in line, or I sat out the line because I just could not stand on my knee that long,
I kneeled on the TKR knee at a Verizon store on thin commercial carpet without pain. I was working on my laptop on a low table. Didn't think about it before I did it. Visually, the leg is straighter. It's in the last degree or so, hard to measure as an amateur. I'm still the only able-bodied person in the family, with the two injured big toes on my wife and son. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Since my TKR PT, I have been told my stride MUST be heel-toe. I accepted that, thought it felt unnatural, but I assumed my bad knee caused a change in my stride. I sometimes heel-toe, but often I find I am forefoot-toe. I researched the topic and found and interesting article.
broken link removed: https://www.somastruct.com/walking-the-wrong-way/
I grew up mostly barefoot, and still prefer it. Perhaps that's why I favor forefoot-toe stride.
 
One of the most telling reasons we recommend walking with heel-toe is because it extends your knee fully. That's important, especially for people who are slow to recover full extension.
 
I'm not saying it's bad, just that it seemed strange to me. I'm sure that was the reason my extension improved after the state fair, I forced heel/toe all day. I was just looking forward with concern to the prospect of forcing it the rest of my life! It's not becoming natural for all strides.
 
I guess that once your knee is completely rehabbed you can walk any way you like. Your strike is going to differ between walking and running, too.
 
actually, I think forefoot/toe running likely would not hurt the knee, the impact is 1/7th that of heel/toe running, but I am not likely to test the theory.
 
Arrgh! Still can't sit cross legged on the floor. I'm guessing the Medial collateral ligament is fighting me, there is a semi-sharp pain where that ligament seems to be on my knee. It has progressed over the weeks, but is moving slow. :bawl: I can sit nearly cross legged, but the TKR leg has to be extended in front slightly. At least getting up and down on the floor is fine, and I can kneel. :)
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom