Guest viewing is limited

TKR Graduated!

When will then be now? :)
That's hard to answer. It's a very individual thing.
Sitting cross-legged does involve different soft tissues from just bending your knee backwards and forwards. I should imagine it's a similar movement to bending your leg and extending your hip, to put your socks on.
 
That's hard to answer. It's a very individual thing.

Thank you for the reply. My question was really just a joke from "Spaceballs" :) i'm just curious what structure is stopping it, not trying to rush it!
 
Just had my longest lunchtime walk. 2.14 miles. 5200 steps uphill, downhill, many stairs and pedestrian bridges.
As I staggered back, exhausted, my knee was asking "what's wrong with you, I'm ready to do it again!" :snork:
I'm in much worse shape than my knee!
 
You're probably still feeling some of the effects of post-op energy drain. It can take quite a while to go away. have you read this article?
Energy drain for TKRs
 
Maybe part of it, but I think I'm just plain out of shape. No way I could have walked that far non-stop pre-op, either! :)
 
Still working on ROM. I am stuck at 124-129, I know that's not bad, but it seems to be swollen on the back of my knee, and that is pretty much mechanically stopping it. I assume the swelling will eventually subside. My extension is improved, I *think*, I'm hoping for 3. my wife can measure flexion OK (we have the tool, a digital scale) but is not as confident with extension and she is medically averse so I don't push her. I am diabetic, over 20 years and she still cannot even watch me give myself an injection, much less learn how in case I need her to. :(

sounds silly, perhaps, but I have an OS appointment Monday and I want to show him I can progress without PT.
 
It sounds to me as if you're progressing just fine!
Do remember that its still early days, in terms of this year-long recovery.

The swelling will gradually go, but it does take time. You can ice the back of your knee, as well as the front.

Extension is often harder to achieve than flexion, but it will come. Have you seen this article?
Extension: exercises for improvement
 
Thanks. Yes, I know I'm doing great, but last OS visit, I convinced him I did not need formal PT and he said we could re-evaluate this visit.

I do the extension exercises you mentioned.

I don't ice. I hate ice! :tantrum:
 
I'm amused at my fitbit. after my long walk Tuesday, it credited me with 12 minutes of running! There were a lot of stairs involved, but not 12 minutes worth, so I cannot figure out how it decided I was running. :walking::walking:
 
@jmdearras I dont think you have to prove anything. You have made an amazingly fast recovery, despite the bone headed PT you appeared to have had. Its been a relatively short time since your surgery and considering all the activity you subject your new knee including walking for miles, its not surprising that you have some minor swelling. Patience is the toughest thing to deal with particularly when you feel so good. I have no doubt your OS will be pleased with your recovery.
 
I am very aware I am doing great, and time is needed for recovery! However, I convinced my OS I could do better on my own, than in PT. He agreed to let me try, and Monday he will evaluate. I would like an improvement for him to see, so any debate about further PT is quenched. :angel:
 
I am having an issue with picking up my stride. If I don't watch it, I slow down to my preop walking speed. Walking fast is no harder on my legs, now, I just need something to remind me.
 
I've decided my stride issue is too much concentration on proper stride. If I just walk, I do better, and as far as I can tell, my natural stride is fine, again.
 
I am at Church at the moment, I run the A/V in a loft over the auditorium. It is such a blessing to be able to go up and down the steep steps freely, and even to the basement where the morning snacks are. :loveshwr:
 
2 month OS appointment today. I'm working on a list of questions. Anything I should ask?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jmdearras good luck with your OS appointment today, cant imagine your OS will be anything less than thrilled with your progress
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom