Guest viewing is limited

TKR Graduated!

Met with the OS. He approved of my stride and extension and flexion. Did not measure them, but he said I had enough extension for a normal gait and way more flexion than most folks get. He wants me to keep up the exercises, gains will be incremental. He would not give me a number for too much flexion, He said if i could get 60 degrees past 90, or 150, there would be no problem, but not to make it a numbers game, just work to what you need. He said my extension was limited by the hamstring and scar tissue. If I don't reach 0, don't sweat it. If I want to cross my legs, work to it slowly, same for sitting cross legged on the floor. slight pain pushing it is ok, big pain is a no-no.
Next appointment in February.
He did X-Ray the other knee. It will join the first one eventually. Not nearly as far along, but definite OA.
 
At my last OS visit, I mention I had no problem with stairs and in fact could easily run down stairs. He admonished me about running down stairs, as running is not permitted on a prosthetic knee. I knew that, but I see "running" down stairs essentially on your toes as a wholly different thing as heel running with the jolts on the knee. Does anyone know if it really is as destructive?
 
Well, I violated rule 1. I ran. Jogged really. I was crossing a wide street on my walk, and the light changed. I looked to my left and a solid block of cars was bearing down on me. I'm sure they would not have actually hit me, but my normal reaction kicked in, and I ran to the curb. Then I noticed I had run! Oh well. all seems fine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that running was your best choice. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm glad you suffered no ill effects.
 
Good weekend. Went grocery and Sam's shopping, Saturday. For the first time in probably 2 years I did not need to push the cart, for pain relief, endurance or stability. I think I was there last weekend, but habit kicked in.

Also, the metal knee is no longer warmer or swollen compared to the right. My wife says they look the same size. The skin flexibility has returned to about normal, and I can sort of feel the new structures in my knee if I rub around a bit.

I am forgetting about my knee more and more, which I think is helping it. I try to move it in a way it's still stiff in, with the full intent for it to go there, and it tries it's best before I realize it's not ready. But by "forcing" it without the mental-imposed muscle tension when a PT guy tries it sure works out better!
 
Our center zone furnace is not working. Tomorrow is going to be a knee test. It is in the crawl space under the house. I have knee pads, and I am praying my knee will allow this. I have successfully kneeled, but not yet crawled. :bolt:
 
Crawling with knee pads was a total, painless, success! I even make it almost all the way to full cross legged sitting on the ground. A circuit breaker had tripped, it is old, slightly rusty and needs replacement. But I got it back on for now, and I'll replace it later, after I get one.
 
Since i am crawlspace rated, now, I have been changing filters on the 4 systems. What is unusual, is that my knee is willing to bend in ways I need it to get around, twist my torso into sitting, etc. without really thinking about it, that it objects to when I simply try to exercise it to that position. Maybe the leg "knows" it can get to those positions when I crawl under a house from doing it many times in the past, but does not "trust" the movement as a PT exercise.
 
If your knee will bend that far, I don't think you need to keep doing the exercises.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll know for sure, tomorrow. I'm known to come in from working on my car with blood dripping off my arm, without :what: a clue how it happened. I tend not to notice pain much when I'm focused.
 
one last trip under the house and I was studying my knee. I get much more flexion, almost heel to butt, when I am bearing weight on my knee. I wonder if that is shoving the top (whatever it's called) back on the bottom and giving more clearance to bend.

edit: After pondering the geometry, that does not make sense. But it did flex further, easier.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No pain this morning. The crawling did not bother my knee at all. I do admit my shoulders are a little sore. :)
So glad for you that your knee is doing what you ask of it.
After your knee is basically functional, I think just using it as you need is the best PT.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom