Guest viewing is limited

TKR Graduated!

It took 2 days for the 5 mile walk to catch up with me! Just out of shape, no knee issues. Both calves almost refused to get me out of bed today! A couple of hours later, they are pretty much ok with me again!
 
I honestly feel guilt. :(

@jmdearras I kinda know where you are coming from and have shied away from posting too much on my personal situation for the same reason. Mind you everyone who has made the difficult decision to have a TKR or BTKR did this knowing that there were some risks but that the choice would eventually end in a better quality of life. The journey and time getting there is all based on each individual.
You have every reason to be upbeat and celebrate your quick and successful recovery. I for one don't believe that what you post is in any way being boastful....its your recovery.....plus your enthusiasm and outlook make me shake my head and laugh. Also, as part of the BoneSmart forum it helps to give a different side of the recovery story and provides balance......quick recovery can happen and some have more challenges.
 
It is something I struggle with a bit. I have had a personal friend ask me to help convince a friend of hers on FB to get a knee replacement. She needs it but searching on the internet, she sees nothing but the problem cases. Even here, if you browse the main page, it is generally quite depressing for someone considering a TKR. It is a VERY helpful site for help and information. But it's like product reviews on store sites, only the problems post, the happy just move on. TKR needs somehow to put it's best foot forward! :) I think you and I are not that uncommon!

Before surgery, my OS promised me that baring the unexpected, I could drive 2 weeks post-op. I did! He has that confidence for a reason.
 
only the problems post, the happy just move on. TKR needs somehow to put it's best foot forward! :) I think you and I are not that uncommon!
It's true that many people only post when they have a problem. This does tend to weight the forum towards negative outcomes.
I had three perfectly normal recoveries, with no problems, and I do post my progress. I have never regretted having my knees replaced.
 
I had three perfectly normal recoveries, with no problems, and I do post my progress. I have never regretted having my knees replaced.

Well, I'm going to continue to post my progress without concern, then!

I think I feel my knee starting try to lock or screw home on extension! That's the final goal!
 
I overanalyze everything, it's my nature. I think I figured out why I made sudden extension progress at the state fair. Over the past year or more, my stride has been getting shorter and shorter. My main issue with my knee was instability, and I was trying to avoid stumbling. I have been working on heel/toe strides, but the fair, with the rapidly moving crowds, I was kinda forced to take a long stride for speed, which really worked my extension. Even now, my stride is now closer to my pre-OA life!
 
My extension is improving, slowly. However, as a point of curiosity, is there a mechanical limit to extension, perhaps from surgical error, or if you are already at 5 degrees, are you pretty much guaranteed to make it to 0 or beyond? @Josephine?
 
What is a good brand and style of post-tkr walking shoes, for a guy with BIG bunions that normally wears flip-flops?
 
I don't have bunions but the spouse does, we both wear Brooks Glycerin.
 
Just sat on the floor here at the office looking through a huge pile of free books (we review books, among many other things) and I can *almost* sit cross legged! So close. Getting up off the floor is also becoming more normal and graceful! I walked to a local takeout for lunch, today, and met several co-workers on the way who were amazed to see me out of the office! I have been a prisoner of my knee for about two years, and now I'm free!
 
Wow! Congratulations. It's good to hear about good progress.
 
@jmdearras That's an interesting story about taking longer strides. Same here. My PT always wants to watch me walk down the hall and bugs me about what's unnatural about my gait. The biggest and best advice he gave me was to take longer strides and not be worried about swinging my hips to do so. Made a big difference right away!
 
My scar is slowly ejecting stuff that looks like parts of stitches. Every few days.
 
It feels so wonderful to freely trot up and down the A/V loft steep stairs at Church, now! I run the hymn verses screen, and for well over a year, once I made it up for morning practice, I was there for the duration. Now I can freely come and go! :wowspring:
 
In trying to sit cross legged, I encounter a sharp pain on the back inside of my knee as I move my lower leg inwards while sitting on the floor. Not a good description but does anyone know what it might be?
 
It's probably too soon to be sitting cross legged - and your knee is letting you know that.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom