Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2, Janet first off an am so happy that there is no infection:dancy:. I have waited to reply because I've been trying to figure out what to say. Right now I could just slap your OS. He's so worried about you getting hooked. That is bull ****. You are still in severe pain and only five weeks out. If you were taking more than the recommended dosage, I could see him being concerned but you aren't. I have always read that if you are in pain and taking the recommended dose you will not become addicted. Did he say anything s out the pain management doctor? I'm sorry. I should keep this to myself, but it just makes me so angry.
On the bright side you said you were feeling better today and hopefully this is the start of feeling better and lower pain. Sending hugs, Anne
 
Relieved to hear you have no infection, and just need longer to heal.
Here are some Bonesmart extension exercises: Extension: exercises for improvement
If for some reason you need pain medication longer, see your primary or a pain specialist.
I think you may have turned the corner, no more worries about infection, just patience needed to wait for your knee to heal. Kind of like watching water boil. :santawave:
 
@gr82cu2,another thing that I forgot, and maybe I shouldn't be saying this, but with the pain you are already in, I think your OS is off the wall with having you put 8 pounds on your knee while extended and doing it for 12 minutes. That is going to be excruciating. I would think that you can work up to that, but not all at first. Maybe a little less weight and do for 5 minutes. When you can tolerate that, gradually add more weight and more time.
I know I do my exercise for flexion where I sit in front of the wall with something between my feet and the wall and then scoot my butt in the chair more and more. I do this for five minutes. When I first start it's not too bad, but then I keep trying to bend it more and more and it is so uncomfortable. When the five minutes is over, I have to slowly push my chair back and very slowly get up. I can hardly stand on my leg. Now I hold onto the chair and take my bad leg and put it behind me and more or less lunge on my good knee stretching my bad leg. Once I do that I can walk comfortably again and the stretch feels so good. What I am saying is that I am only doing this for five minutes and work up to uncomfortable, let alone 12 minutes and start out uncomfortable.
Like all our moderators on Bonesmart say if you push too much it is only going to make you swell and your knee angry and you certainly don't need that!!
 
@gr82cu2, I am sitting here laughing so hard. I just re read my first comment and in the third line meant to write "that is bull ****". I must have made a typo and my IPad auto corrected it to "bull mess". Oh my!!!!!
 
Hi Janet! I'm glad today went well. I think it's "bull mess" too that you can't get more pain meds. :nah:I mean, it's obvious just from looking at your knee that it hurts, and if it hurts you shouldn't have to go without pain meds! But other than that, sounds like a good report.
 
@Yorkimom It hurt but wasn't unbearable when I did it. Close but doable. Now, if that had been my left leg I could not have done it because my hamstring tendons in that leg were very sore for a long time. This leg, they don't hurt...at least not yet, LOL!! I know if I can get this leg straightened it will feel better overall because a lot of stress will be taken off my muscles and tendons. If it makes me worse or the pain is too much I will stop, I promise.

Here's what I did on pain meds today and it seems to have worked ok. BTW, by the time we got home this afternoon my pain levels were back to close to what they have been. I must have just had an especially comfortable night sleeping last night. Anyway, pain meds.......first thing this morning I took 2 Percocet at around 8. At 2:30 on the way home from OS I took 1 Tramadol and 1 Tylenol. At 4:30 I took another Tramadol and another Tylenol. Just now at 9:15 I took 2 more Percocet. I'm watching my Tylenol milligrams. That's 2,950 for the day. I have enough Tramadol to do that for 2 weeks and enough Percocet for 35 days if I only take 4 a day. Hopefully by the time the Tramadol runs out I can supplement with Tylenol only and be ok. this has got to start feeling better soon. Surely it will????

Thanks everyone for being here for me, I appreciate it so much.
 
@gr82cu2
I am so happy you have no infection & you get to keep your leg :heehee: I have gone to my doctor
& have been reduced to tears more than once :bawl:He just gives me a big hug. If he ever
Has to give me bad news, God help the poor man.
I was going to say some parts ( deeper in the skin ) take longer to heal, but, I am not a doctor.
I only play one on Bonesmart :snork:
Again, My condolences on the loss of your Mom & Dad, They never really leave us.
They both reside in your heart forever :console2:
Love Always,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
Janet, @gr82cu2

I'm so glad that your doctor listened to you and that he was able to reassure you. I'm even more glad that he said there was no infection! :happydance::yay:


I think you might find the extension exercise he told you about is a bit easier if you start with a lighter weight and gradually work up to what he recommended.

This article might be useful, too:
Extension: exercises for improvement

Best wishes!
 
@New Knees in June giving bad news is really hard. I got call.to.say wifes daughter had been killed. Wife saw my face. It was horrendous trying to think of he right words. Anyway sorry for stealing thread.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@new knee in June I've been on a real crying jag lately and yesterday with my OS was ridiculous. Thank goodness Kent was there with me cause I was a mess. The poor girl that checked me out probably wondered what in the world was going on.

@Celle I'll ask Kent what other weights he has and may try like 5# or something to see if that works but doesn't hurt as much. Thanks for the article :)

@Legin I can't imagine having to give news like that, I really can't. I'm so sorry about your wife's daughter.
 
I will take their faces to my grave. Even.though wasn't my fault well you know

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@gr82cu2 Hadn't gotten your alerts so didn't know that you had posted on here since seeing your OS. Man, I've got to start just checking on everyone every day! Glad it wasn't infected, did he do blood work? Some how I just don't trust your OS, sorry but anyone who doesn't adequately medicate is not a nice OS in my book. Glad you were able to get some sleep. I agree with Anne about starting out with a lower weight don't want to cause more pain. Hugs to you, and hope you start seeing real improvement soon.

@Legin I am sorry about your wife's daughter! I know how hard that was, I had to tell my mom that my sister died. Very hard to do.
 
@gr82cu2 That extension exercise is great. I've been doing it daily for about a month - and I'm convinced that's what got me to 0. I will say though from experience tht 8 pounds is a lot to start with. You are much better off with less weight - and doing it for longer. I actually started with no weights at all - as my PT told me, gravity is your friend. Then I started adding light weights. You don't need to use real weights - you can use anything - a book, or whatever. I had my PT laughing in stitches when I told I used my husband's power drill, LOL. It was the perfect weight. What I do is use a pillow on my knees to protect them from getting uncomfortable and it also creates a platform to put the weight. Then place whatever on top of the pillow. I use a hand weight now only because I worked up to it - but again, my advice is to start with something very light - or even without any weight which really does still help.

Here's hoping your pain pill routine works to help you stay comfortable - although I agree with others....poo poo to your stingy doctor!
 
@gr82cu2, @ljrfrm my therapist has me do the same exercise, but always starting with no weight and then gradually adding more. What I do is get a canvas bag or anything with straps. Put the weight or book or whatever in the bag and then put your leg through the straps, having one strap above the knee and one strap below the knee and let the bag hang while your leg is extended. It really pulls on your leg to make it straighten.
 
@Yorkimom Reading your last post reminded me that my PT told me to use a bag at first as well - but when I told her I didn't have one handy, we came up with the pillow. Great idea though - forgot all about it :)
 
Thanks for the suggestions! The first time I did it yesterday didn't bother me much at all. The 2nd time by about 9-10 minutes into it I was really hoping for the rest of the time to pass quickly, LOL. I'll try a tote bag with a couple of books and see how that goes.

I slept allllllllll night longggggg till 10:30 this morning!! :wowspring: I think I went to sleep around 1 am but never woke once for 9 1/2 hours solid. I couldn't believe it when I looked at the clock this morning. Kent said he thought a few times he should wake me to make sure I was ok, haha! I guess I must have been really comfortable. When I woke up my leg barely hurt even though yesterday afternoon and early evening I was fairly miserable and couldn't find a comfortable position for my leg. But I did have PT yesterday afternoon so maybe that's why.
 
@gr82cu2 ive been lurking reading posts on your thread and just wanted to say what great news about the long sleep! That's brilliant and both you and your knee obviously really needed it! You must feel so much better. Maybe you've begun to turn a corner now. It's such a relief when sleep happens for a decent length of time. I've not managed more than 5 ish hours in a stretch yet but generally go back off to sleep for a few more hours,

Keep up the great work!
 
@gr82cu2, :wowspring:that was awesome. I'm sure that must have felt wonderful. Hopefully you are turning a corner. I certainly hope so as you have had such a hard time, you truly deserve a break!
 
gr82cu-- Just popping in -- been following your thread. Just want to wish you the best. Glad you had a fab nite of rest. Keep trucking' - Hugs, Foxsea
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom