Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2 What idiots they are! I think you need to see your regular doctor, or maybe even a trip to the ER just to get it seen. If Michelle thinks something is wrong then you need to get it checked!
 
Hoping you get some answers soon. I'm sorry you had such a difficult phone call with that uncaring nurse!!! Keep us updated on what's going on - wishing you the best!
 
A strange thing happened just awhile ago. I was checking my email and there was an email from my OS office that said it was an appointment summary. So I opened it and logged into the thing (never had this before) and it was basically my medical record in summary form. It looks like they Rx'd another 120 percocet at the same strength 7.5/325 that I've been taking but it says "Take one or two twice a day". Are you kidding me? Ok, that's about 8 hours a day of pain relief, not being pain free but some relief, out of 24 hours in a day! How do I choose when I'd like to be in pain, or not? Ugh! I really am beginning to hate my OS and his practice. I will never recommend someone go there. Their pain relief protocols are for the birds. I'd rather they set me up an appointment with their pain management doctor to be honest. Oh well, at least I'll have the new script plus what I have left here and I'll manage as best I can. Hopefully they will call soon and tell me to come in. I'm freaking out over this possibility of an infection.

I can't remember; have you talked to your GP about the meds? Or your rheumatologist?
No, I haven't talked to any of my other doctors about it. Not yet, at least. The thing is, all these doctors send information back and forth to each other, especially to my GP and I don't want to get flagged for narcotics or something. That's the last thing I need right now.

If Michelle thinks something is wrong then you need to get it checked!
I agree. No one called me back so hopefully tomorrow someone will. I told the nurse when she called me back what Michelle had said and that she sent Darrell an email. The nurse said they were both in surgery right then and she didn't know if the email would get read today but she would make sure Darrell knew it was there. I was bawling on the phone when we talked so hopefully they won't drop the ball.

Keep us updated on what's going on
I will! Thanks!
 
On the right is 8 days ago and the left is now. Not much difference in healing?

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2 I think you need to see first if there's a reason for the pain (i.e infection). But once that is hopefully ruled out, it might not be a bad idea to see the pain doctor. Your doctor just doesn't seem sympathetic to pain medication needs, and you shouldn't have to go through what you did each time you need more. My experience with a pain managment doctor is very positive - both when I went, and when my mom went. All that said, I do think it's important to explore why you are having such pain - it almost seems like the past nights have been worse. I assumed it was because you weren't taking the pain meds enough, but maybe there is another reason. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon - and that it isn't anything you need to worry about!!

It's really funny how different doctors prescribe - and some more freely than others. I was given a prescription for Flexoril for my back a while back - my GP gave me 20 pills (which was plenty to get through the spasm I was having). When I was at my rheumatologist last week, I asked her if she could prescribe me some more to save me from having to see my GP, she had no issues with doing that. She gave me 120 pills, plus 3 refills of 120 each. That's one year's worth. Oh my. I wanted like maybe 10, LOL.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Janet, I'm so sorry you are having so much pain and worries. I sure hope it turns around for you soon and you will feel better. Enough is enough!! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :console2:
 
That is so painful to see! It looks tender and red around it.
It is! Right above where that bottom scab goes sideways is like a soft pocket of something that when barely pressed feels like my skin is being cut open. But, that yucky incision is the least of my pain. I just think, like I told Michelle, it is indicative of the slower healing that is likely going on inside too. You know I've had a lot of leg aches from hip to ankle and then there's the stabbing pain that seems to move around. And all that's when I'm off my leg, never mind when I stand or walk on it. This time though unlike last, I don't seem to have as much tendon pain. This is more bone and muscle pain :shrug:

She gave me 120 pills, plus 3 refills of 120 each. That's one year's worth. Oh my. I wanted like maybe 10, LOL.
Go figure, huh? None of this makes any sense to me. I agree with you about ruling out infection first thing. That is scary! I have no idea why Darrell didn't turn me over to the pain management doctor like he said when I saw him 3 weeks ago.

I can't really be upset with him or Dr. Randolph. They don't want me getting hooked on the stuff and I appreciate that but I know there are ways to handle things so that doesn't happen, including slowly weaning off when the time comes if that became necessary. What I'm most upset about is being made to feel like an irresponsible child who can't make good decisions for myself and not even being given the opportunity to talk to either of them on the phone. I just feel like the nurses are lacking compassion because they hear it all the time and probably aren't relaying my message the way I would.

It has been worse the past few days so we need to get to the bottom of that ASAP. Right now, there is no way I can get along taking one or two every 12 hours. No way! So, I guess I'll have to make up my own dosing schedule and take one every 6 hours and hope that at least keeps it down to a bearable level. I'm just feeling so discouraged because things should definitely be feeling better by now.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :console2:
Thanks sis!
 
@gr82cu2, oh Janet I'm so sorry you are still going through this. Enough is enough. I just don't understand your OS. Sure they worry about their patients becoming addicted, but they know how painful this recovery can be. Also you have gone through this just four months ago. They know from your past surgery you don't abuse your drugs.
As for whether there is infection or not, if you don't hear back from them by tomorrow late morning, I would call my regular doctor or like Jackie said go to the ER. This is so unfair to you. Sending hugs, Anne
 
@Yorkimom Thanks Anne. Yes, if I don't hear from them tomorrow I will definitely call my GP. I guess I would at least need a CBC to check for infection? And that will be the straw that broke the camel's back and my OS will hear about it. When I saw Darrell 3 weeks ago I remarked to him how this knee is so completely different than the 1st one was and his response basically was, it's a different knee and they are all different. Well, I get that but they need to also realize that not only is every knee different so is every patient and their pain medication needs as well as how they respond to pain medication. One thing that is and always has been true about me is that it ALWAYS takes higher doses to bring my pain down. I have no idea why. But, I've always been that way. My mom was the opposite. She would take half doses and be a sleeping, slobbering idiot, LOL! When I was in the hospital with this 2nd one and they had to keep giving me more and more meds both oral and IV, Darrell turned to Kent and told him if he had been given that much medicine he would be puking his guts up or passed out or both. And I barely felt a difference especially with the IV meds but I think they are pretty much all short acting anyway. What good does 10 or 15 minutes of relief do for you? Oh well, I'm just trying not to get depressed over this stupid knee. It feels like the light at the end of the tunnel is getting further and further away instead of closer. Cross your fingers I don't have an infection. That scares the living daylights out of me.
 
@gr82cu2 I hope you get some answers soon from OS. Waiting for them to call back is the most frustrating part and it is hard not to worry about what might be. If you don't hear back, please be the squeaky wheel. As you said everyone is different when it comes to how they respond to pain meds. But they know you and your history from both surgeries. They should be taking better care of you with pain relief and your concerns about how it is healing :prayer: that there is no infection. (((Hugs)))
 
Have everything crossed for you. Mind you does mean I have a.funny walk now. I know its sooooioo frustrating/depressing when never mind not making progress but slipping down the slope. I felt it when told it could take a year for nerve to sort itself. But it just means set new targets. I am really hoping its not infection. But you have people who love you both in real life and here.
Would say you.can.kick the ogre but there is a.big queue

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@gr82cu2 Janet I just want to take you in my arms and hug you and make it all better. I want to kick Darrell and the nurses butts for you! I can't, but I can pray for you and that is what I will do. I hope you get in to see someone soon!
 
They just called (good thing I took the phone to the bathroom with me) and Dr. Randolph wants to see me tomorrow at 1:30. Believe it or not, I slept pretty well last night. I think I was exhausted from crying all day. Everything, and I mean everything brought tears to my eyes. I was crying over Diana's kitty, thinking of my Tucker and how much I miss him, that stupid Senator Feinstein releasing that report putting our people in jeopardy, coming up on the 5th anniversary of my dad passing away, imagining I'll end up losing my leg and on and on and on. And just feeling frustrated by this whole pain med thing and how I'm going to manage that. Well, hopefully there is no infection. Thanks for the support everyone! I don't know what I would do without you all.

xox
 
@gr82cu2
Dear Janet,
I am so sorry for what you are going through :console2:Get to your G.P. Last time I
Was at the E.R. ( with my son, slipped disc ) the wait was 7 hrs. :yikes: I'm sure your regular
Doctor could see you today or tomorrow. You shouldn't have to worry about the unknown.
You need definately answers & while you are there, tell him about the problem you
Are having getting pain med's.
You are in my thoughts & Prayers :angel:
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
I'm glad you've got an appointment tomorrow with your doctor. I hope all goes well
 
@gr82cu2
So Happy, you got an appointment for tomorrow :yes!: Bring your list of Questions
& demand adequate Pain Control. Good pain control is absolutely necessary to recover
From this surgery. Thinking of you at your Fathers Anniversary, it's a hard time of year to
Deal with :console2:
Please update Tomorrow,
You are in my Thoughts & Prayers :angel:
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom