Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Dang! Too bad we spent all our Get Out of Jail Free cards in Vegas. If we hadn't we could share our pain meds with YOU!!!! (So sad, it's illegal.) :bignono: I wish there was something I could do to help you, but so glad you have an appointment tomorrow. And you are NOT going to lose your leg!!!!! :no-fin:

((HUGS)) :friends:

Connie
 
@gr82cu2, I'm so glad that you have an appointment with your OS tomorrow. Make sure you make a list and like everyone else says don't back down concerning the pain meds. I would be very frank with him and tell him exactly how he/his office is making you feel. You have never abused drugs and don't intend to start now but your pain has to be controlled. Remind him that being in this much pain only slows down the healing process...something he knows or should know. I know you are at your wits end, not only being Iin so much pain buy worrying about the unknown. They will fix this, you will get through this and like Connie said "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LOSE YOUR LEG". Hang in there! Anne
 
Well, the trip to the rheumatologist today was uneventful except there must have been an accident on the highway (465, the loop around indianapolis) and traffic was standing still. We managed to inch our way to and off the next exit and then had to fight the traffic caused by the highway being a parking lot to get there and I was about 10 minutes late. I called while we were in traffic to let them know and they said to come in anyway. I told Kent I should go late more often. They whisked me right in and the doctor followed me into the exam room. I was in and out in about 10 minutes!! When he saw my right knee he said, 'Yeah they need to keep a close eye on that' He thought it was unnecessary that they made me go off my Humira injections for a month before and a month after each surgery too. He said 10 days either side of the op would have been enough. Oh well, it's all over and done now.

Then we stopped by Dr. Randolph's office to pick up the script for the Percocet. I could have gotten it tomorrow but I decided I'd better get it before he changes his mind or something. I didn't get it filled though and have it in my purse in case I can get him to change his tune on the dosing tomorrow.

Thinking of you at your Fathers Anniversary, it's a hard time of year to
Deal with :console2:
Thank you! It is very hard for me. Dad passed away on 12/17 and we buried him on the 21st. 94 days later I lost my mom :boohoo: I miss them so much especially at times like this. I want my dad to hug me and say 'It will be ok Jannie, don't worry.'

I hope your hubby can go with you
Oh he is. I can't drive yet so there's no other option.

And you are NOT going to lose your leg!!!!! :no-fin:
I know, it's just your imagination goes wild when you're scared.

Make sure you make a list and like everyone else says don't back down concerning the pain meds.
I do need to make a list this evening because otherwise I'll get in there and forget a bunch of stuff and complaints. I'm not going to take any pain meds before I go so the pain will be so that I can exactly describe it to him.
 
@gr82cu2 glad your appointment went okay today. Hope your appointment with Dr. Randolph goes as well. Sorry this is such a hard time of year for you.
 
Ok everyone, can you think of anything else I've been whining about. Here is what I wrote up to take with me tomorrow to see Dr. Randolph.

Incision is not healing in 2 places. The upper area seems to be very slowly changing. The lower area has not changed at all in several weeks. Michelle Jones (PT at IOH Brownsburg) is concerned there might be some drainage and infection. The lower area in particular, is very tender to the touch. I have never noticed any drainage or been aware of any wetness in that area.

Pain in bones from about 4” above knee to 4” below knee and in knee cap runs from about a 5 or 6 most of the time, peaking at 7 or 8 when pain meds wear off at around 4-5 hours after taking them. This pain is constant, not throbbing, but there is occasionally a random stabbing type pain under my knee cap. Tendon pain is very minimal unlike my left knee had been.

Usually once or twice a day my entire leg will ache from above my ankle on the outside to mid thigh on the inside. I have been using a heating pad on these areas when this happens (never on the knee itself) and it seems to relieve the pain after 15 minutes or so.

My knee will not straighten and I cannot bear full weight on this leg when standing still. It causes almost unbearable pain in the knee area. Pain radiates up and down my entire leg.

I cannot get my leg comfortable and am constantly changing positions with it to try and find comfort. Sleep is disrupted many times a night due to this. I am still not able to sleep in bed so I sleep on our sofa with my leg elevated and ice packs on.

I ice my knee for around an hour at a time 6-8 times per day for pain relief but also to cool it down. This knee is HOT!!! It will quickly melt the ice in the center of the ice pack while the ice around the edges is still frozen.

I kept notes with my left knee knowing that the right would soon be following and these are some of the differences at this point in recovery. While I had to pace myself some to avoid a flare up of harsher pain, at this time with my left knee......

Pain was down to around a 2 or maybe a 3 occasionally with peaks to a 4 or 5 rarely and I needed Rx pain meds only on an occasional basis, sometimes not for days at a time. I would take 1 Tylenol when pain was uncomfortable and if that didn’t help I would take one hydrocodone as necessary. I was still icing several times a day after activity to reduce the resulting swelling.

I had been walking confidently and safely without even a cane for 3 weeks.
I was driving when not on narcotic pain meds.
I was able to do housework, laundry, grocery shopping and prepare meals.
I was able to stand long enough to shower AND dry my hair.
I was able to go up and down stairs the normal way.

At 6 weeks post op with my left knee I walked into PT and Michelle and Amanda, both at the same time said, “Whoa, you’ve got some pep in your step!” There is nothing close to pep in my step at this time :’(
 
@gr82cu2, Janet, I think you've covered most everything, except for the severe swelling like Jackie suggested. I'm not sure if you should list the comparisons between the two knees. I would bring it with you in case, but from what you've said about their attitude, I think they will say that every knee is different and you shouldn't compare. I would say something like I know every knee is different and you shouldn't compare, but the difference between the two is startling. Make them wonder and ask you what the differences are between the two. Don't give them ammunition to squash your concerns. Good luck tomorrow. I really hope you get this resolved. Ane
 
@Yorkimom I see what you are saying but here's what I was thinking if they say no two knees are the same, which they will! **But, all patients have the same pain levels????? How does that work?** I also was looking for an opportunity to point out that I only took meds as needed at this point before and how I was so much more comfortable that I was getting back to somewhat of a normal life. Ugh, I just know I'm going to get in there and chicken out on the pain med issue. Hopefully Kent will speak up!
 
Good luck Janet! I know you will let us know how it goes. I hope he can give you the very best solution to all this!

Connie
 
@gr82cu2,Janet, you have a valid point comparing the pain and how you took the meds. I think you have to just go in there and have your feelings validated. Also I would talk to Kent about what you want to say. That way he can back you up. A united front is your best defense. Isn't it a shame that you have to do this to "prove your case". This is your doctor and he is supposed to have your best interest at heart. Hopefully your OS will see the light and help you be on your way to recovery.
 
@gr82cu2, Janet I forgot to say that you had mentioned that you weren't going to take pain meds before you go so you would be experiencing the pain so you could describe it. With you being in pain that will give you the strength to not chicken out. Just remember this......your doctor works for you, so don't let him intimidate you.
 
@gr82cu2 glad your RA appointment went okay. Your list for OS looks good. I am glad you wrote it out and agree you should discuss it with Kent as he will be your back up if you miss something or get push back. You shouldn't have to go through this but since you do it is better to be prepared. I hope it goes well tomorrow. I will be thinking about you.
 
Hope your OS has some answers for you today. No two knees are alike, what a difference between your two recoveries.
 
Good morning, almost afternoon! Well, of course I woke up feeling pretty darn good today. Not much pain at all. The best I've felt yet. I haven't been up and moving around much. I took a shower and it didn't take the stuffing out of me like usual. What to do? What to do? Could I be turning the corner?
 
Ok, sorry for the delay. I needed a nap when we got home and I've been freezing so couldn't come out from under the afghan.

I lasted a whole minute before I turned into a blubbering fool. I hate that about myself.

No infection......repeat......NO INFECTION!!! But also, no more pain meds. He said he just can't take the chance with me getting into a problem with them. He actually held my hand and told me how important I am to him as his patient and he only wants the best for me and that eventually I will have it. Then he gave me his personal cell phone number which he said he only very rarely does and told me to call him anytime if I need to talk to him. He wants to see me again on January 5th. The pain meds I have now will last me till then so I suppose if things aren't better then we can talk about it again. He was concerned with my extension and gave me a new thing to try which I just did. Man, did that hurt! He said to take a 8# hand weight (which we already had) and rest it just above my knee cap, suspend my leg on a coffee table or chair seat and keep it there for 12 minutes twice a day. Ouch! But I will do it if it will get my leg to go straight. I think the lack of extension is just putting a lot of stress on everything else.

We talked about all the other stuff on my list and comparing this knee to the other one and all that. But, it was the usual no two knees are alike explanation. I just expressed to him how depressing this is getting and how down I've been feeling because I don't feel like it's getting any better like the last one did. The left one, during the first month especially had it's ups and downs but the differences day to day with healing were pretty apparent. This one? Nope! There's not doubt it's better than a month ago but it sure isn't where the left one was at the same time.

I'm just really relieved there is no infection. He said that bad spot is going to have to heal from the inside out and it will. A few years ago Kent slipped in the bath tub and split his shin open. It was so gross! We went to the ER and they sewed him up but the swelling caused the stitches to pull out and he was left with this gaping wound in his shin that couldn't be re-stitched. It took quite awhile but did eventually heal. So, I guess it's just one more thing I need to put on my 'be patient' list. I'm tired of being patient :'(
 
@gr82cu2 I have been behind on your thread, I just got caught up. I am so glad you do not have an infection. My OS tells me the second is worst and have to agree with him. I go see my OS the same day as you. I have some pain meds left over wish I could help you out. I don't want to get arrested so just know my thoughts are with you and I hate those words NO TWO KNEES ARE ALIKE AND PATIENCE
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom