Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Hi @gr82cu2 - glad things with knee two are being managed! I, too, have a body that loves to inflame...3 years ago I went on an anti-inflammatory diet, not easy, but it really does work. No added sugar - no grains and add things like turmeric and cayanne to as many thing as possible. Didn’t delay things indefinitely but it did buy me a good bit of time and even now, my inflammation is nothing like it was before. Will be interesting to see how it responds after surgery. Prior to the diet I’d have a massive swelling response to a cortisone shot!
 
Interesting about spices and potential health benefits. I've heard cinnamon may help with diabetes. Unfortunately I'm sure the dose does not come in the form of a cinnamon roll. :heehee:
 
@gr82cu2 I take one supplement pill per day.(I think it's 500 mg - need to check though). I plan to ask my rheumatologist when I see her (first week of Dec.) if I should up it since I'm still having swelling from surgery in addtional to my regular inflammation. I also have the spice that I'll use sometimes with chicken or rice. I honestly think it helped me with inflammation prior to surgery - not sure if I notice any difference now or not. She gave me three or four other supplements to take too. Prior to the surgery, when I was taking the supplements religiously, eating clean with no preservative and going to the gym, I felt so much better with pain and energy.

I also stopped all my supplements before surgery - and took awhile to start them up again as I was taking so many pills, I didn't want to add more. I just started taking them again a few weeks ago.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gr82cu2 I swear, having someone truly listen to you and obviously care about you is as good a medicine as anything else! I just now have finally caught up with your entire thread, and was so dismayed to see how poorly you've been feeling. I'm glad your appointment went well, and I hope your pain and swelling diminish quickly. :thumb:
 
Thanks everyone! I want to look into an anti-inflammatory diet.

I haven't been on much that past day or so. Yesterday was really rough. I woke up with extreme pain in my leg. I sat here and cried for a good while thinking, is this ever going to end? Every step I took yesterday until evening was excruciating and to top it off I had therapy yesterday and she pushed me harder with this leg than she has to date. I came home exhausted and took a nap which helped a little. Then, yesterday evening I got out my NMES and put it on the swelling setting and left it on for a couple of hours while we watched a movie. Then I put it on the pain setting and left it on for another hour at least. It felt soooooo much better! This morning I woke up feeling pretty darn good! I've just done another long session with the swelling an pain settings. Hopefully it will hold me for awhile. I'll definitely do it again this evening. Tomorrow we are having our family's Thanksgiving. I'd like to feel good enough to enjoy it.
 
@gr82cu2 Sorry you had such a painful day. You had a long day out at the doctor, maybe it was angry with you!! So glad you feel better today!
 
@gr82cu2 Haven't got my alerts again. Sorry you had so much pain yesterday, glad it is better today. Remember you can say no. You know how your legs feel, your therapist doesn't. If you have a bad day tell her it's a bad day and you aren't doing as much.
 
@gr82cu2, Hi Janet! I am not getting alerts and was thinking a out you this morning and realized that I hadn't heard anything the past day or two and became worried. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad day. That machine you have sounds like it really helps. Try to take it easy today, rest, ice and elevate so you can enjoy your day tomorrow. Take care. Anne
P.S. You had mentioned an anti-imflamatoey diet. My daughter is a vegan and is always researching the benefits of diet, exercise, etc. If you are interested I can ask her what she knows about the anti-inflammatory diet. She has mentioned it several times to me. I swear she should have went to med school. She is very informed on many levels and is really into holistic health. Right now she is a massage therapist specializing in medical issues, practices Reiki, is in the process of getting her personal trainer certification and is educated in essential oils.
 
@Yorkimom Hi Anne :) My thread has been quiet for a few days. I guess I just don't have anything to say that hasn't been said. I'm feeling pretty down thinking this is never going to end. I know it will of course, but right now it sure doesn't feel like it. This leg has been a much greater challenge than the first. I think the anemia, which is getting better, really set me back. Today is 3 weeks and my leg feels like the first one did on probably around day 5 or so. The pain meds don't even seem to help all that much. I think they just make me care less about being in pain.

I will look into the anti-inflammatory diet. I just don't have the concentration for it right now. Yesterday I started taking my supplements again which includes turmeric and I'm hoping that will help some. My swelling has come down quite a bit thankfully. I weighed myself this morning and I've shed 8 of the 11 pounds I gained in this surgery from the fluid in my leg so I guess that's a positive. A gallon of milk weighs 8 pounds so when you think about it I had an extra gallon and a half of fluid in my leg. That's a lot for one leg!

How are you feeling these days? I asked you somewhere, maybe in your own thread, why Christine had asked you to stop icing at night. Maybe you answered me and I just didn't see it. I'm curious why she did.

Kent has gone to meet his mom and dad to look over an assisted living place. I think I'll take advantage of the peace and quiet and take a little nap. I feel like I just can't get enough rest and sleep even though rest and sleep is about all I do. Take care Anne! See you in Vegas tomorrow :wink:
 
@gr82cu2 Hi Janet, I'm glad your swelling is going down! You sure have had a rough go of it! I think a day of rest might do you good. You need to heal. Take care of yourself! That's an order from mom! :)
 
@tiredwife Thanks mom :) I took about a 90 minute nap, made myself a sandwich and took a shower. That's my 1st shower without my assistant to help me get in the tub. He'll probably be upset with me when he gets home but oh well. I was wanting a shower and not wanting to wait until he gets home. I got in and out just fine. I'm not nearly as shaky as I was in the beginning with the anemia. If I still felt like that I wouldn't have done it.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, I am sure you know what you are capable of, just be careful. Glad you are feeling stronger, a step in the right direction. Day by day you will get better, I'm sorry it is such a slow process for you!
 
@gr82cu2 I remember telling you how awesome we would do with our second knee boy was I fooled. You had it much much worse than me. It does get depressing which part is my own fault as think if I don't do this or that it won't get done and each time I pay for it. Just like I had to drive so did not take pain meds sure did when I got home and I feel like something got pulled. But had to get my last refill on pain meds. It is so frustrating and because I can walk around people think you are find well I am not. Today I am resting between chores I am so ready for vegas and some fun. Hope you have a good day tomorrow and see you in Vegas (is it not wonderful to dream and think about Vegas) instead of our no 2 knee??
 
@gr82cu2, sorry Janet. I completely forgot to answer your question. The only reason Christine gave was that it's not good to ice for too long. I know that, but disagree because as you know the cyro cuff isn't as cold consistently as ice is alone. After not using the cuff on Friday and Saturday night and being so uncomfortable, I went back to using it during the night. Now I have also started using heat on the back of my knee. It had been bothering me and Christine put heat on it Monday while I was doing the exercise where you lay on the table with your legs hanging off. It felt so good and she suggested that I do it at home also. It has really helped.
Great news on taking the shower with Kent not home. Joe was the same way with making me wait until he was here. In the beginning it is fine, and of course you had to wait longer because of all you went through, but isn't it nice to just do something yourself?? I hope you have a good night. Anne
 
@gr82cu2 Glad you started back on the supplements. They can't hurt - and I really think they do help. Hang in there - I know it's so very hard now, but hopefully once you're over this initial hurdle, this knee #2 recovery will go quickly. You already have excellent ROM for having such swelling issues, so I think there is hope of great progress coming soon :) Enjoy your trip to Vegas with the family :)
 
@gr82cu2 like so many others I have not been getting my alerts. And with the stress over my LFTs the last few days I haven't been on the forum as much and just getting to everyone's threads today. Sorry you had so much pain yesterday. Glad the NMES is helping. Hopefully you will feel better so you can enjoy dinner with family tomorrow. I can sympathize about your ups and downs but we need to look at the positives: your ROM is awesome even with swelling, the fluid and swelling are decreasing, you are able to shower on your own, and you are done with both knees. I still have one to go. Wishing you a restful night and a great day tomorrow.
 
Way to go on the shower! This is a great sign that you're improving.
 
Back
Top Bottom