Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2
As the others have said, I too will be waiting to hear how it goes with Darrell tomorrow! I hope you sleep well tonight!

((Hugs))

Connie
 
What in the world is going on here today? I've only had 2 email notifications since last night. Did everybody leave? I hope BS didn't drop me off everybody's threads. I'll have to go find you all again.

Ok, so......we just got home from the doctor, or rather seeing the PA Darrell. What a long 4 hours that was! my leg is killing me! We went a bit early so we could eat some lunch on the way and got to the office on time. Had to wait quite awhile for x-rays, then wait to see Darrell, then wait for prescriptions to be written, go to CVS to drop off prescriptions which they didn't have one and wouldn't till next Tuesday which isn't an option so we went to Walgreens and finally home. Whew!

First, I want to say I would like to take back every bad thing I ever said about Darrell. He has really won me back by being so kind and listening to me, actually listening and showing he cares.

He said he was a little delayed in getting in to see me because he was actually talking to their pain management doctor about my pain levels (I had filled in a form about how my pain was when I got there) and they were putting their heads together on how best to deal with it. So, he brought all that up before I even could, which was nice. I didn't have to feel like a begging junkie. He actually increased my meds over what I've been taking. He's now having me take (1 or 2) 7.5/325 mg. Percocet every 6 hours plus one 10 mg. Oxycontin every 8 hours. What I had before was (1 or 2) 5 mg. oxycodone every 6 hours plus one 20 mg. oxycontin each day. I'll have a lower dose of oxycontin now but 3 times a day should help keep the pain from peaking and obviously the 7.5 mg. percocet is stronger than 5 mg. oxycodone plus it has Tylenol in it. So, he told me not to take my Tramadol with tylenol while I'm on the percocet which is fine with me because I don't think it does much anyway. At least not at this pain level. So, thankfully we got that sorted out. He did say though if I'm still having a lot of pain when I get to the end of these meds (he gave me roughly 3 weeks worth of each) that I will need to see the pain management doctor who agreed to see me if it comes to that but let's hope things settle down soon and I won't need to. I do still have about 60 Tramadol so if the pain lessens I can take those.

The first question I had for him was about the bruises on my rib cages and my right boob. I felt like such a fool because he thought about it and came up with a very plausible explanation. It likely came from the nurse using the gate belt on me the first several times they helped me get up. The did have it up high around my rib cage. I'm not sure that explains the bruise on my boob but Darrell said he was in the OR the whole time and he explained how they move patients from the OR table onto a bed and it really doesn't involve hands on the patient at all. I was never aware that that belt was that tight or that they really pulled on it or anything but honestly, especially on that 2nd and 3rd day I had so many drugs in me it's a wonder I remember anything at all.

He had already heard from Michelle so he was aware of the fact that she really worked with me to get swelling down and that we hadn't done much actual PT yet. He was very pleased with my ROM as am I :) We discussed how bad the swelling was this time compared to last and decided it was probably because I couldn't take the Celebrex this time like I did last time. I really feel like it made such a difference. He did tell me I can now double up on the Meloxicam and take 15 mg. a day rather than 7.5 since I'm off blood thinners. He said if that seems to really help to give him a call and he will send in a refill for me.

We talked about the anemia and how that is likely slowing down healing for me this time. I told him how my number had increased and I'm to go back in another month to get checked again. Considering it came up 2.4 points in a week I'm sure by then I'll be back to normal. I can already feel a difference even though it is still below normal, or was on Monday this week.

I asked about my ankle hurting so bad and he said it's because of the swelling and bruising. It has felt a bit better today so that is probably about to resolve on it's own.

I told him about my right leg now feeling longer than the left. He said it is the same length as the left but it is longer than it was because they straightened it and I will get used to it. I did recall thinking my left one felt longer when I had it done but I thought once the right was done they would feel even again. I guess it's just my brain getting used to that difference in what it is now vs. what it was for years.

And that's about it. No harm, no foul other than it all took way longer that I wanted and my leg was very unhappy with being down all that time. I'll just rest it and ice it all evening and it will be ok, I'm sure.

I see Dr. Randolph again on January 12th. He's taking off work for the holidays for a couple of weeks and they didn't have any openings at all in 4 weeks from now. It shouldn't matter I don't think, anyway. If something were to happen in his absence there are lots of docs there that could see me if it's something Darrell can't handle.

So, that's my report from seeing Darrell.
 
@gr82cu2 was wondering how you felt. So glad to hear the PA was helpful and gave you good answers. You must feel a lot better after such a good review. Sounds like the anaemia is resolving a little too. It's great you have a good ROM after little PT. Keep on posting and I hope the new increased meds really help you.
 
@gr82cu2 I haven't been getting all my alerts either, but that is normal. Most people are on my and Laurie's threads.
Glad Darrell behaved himself today (must have been me going after all your OR people :heehee:). Hope the new meds help. I believe when Steve had that blood pooling he was on 2 5/325 Percocet every 4 to 6 hours and the 12 hour Oxy 1 pill twice a day. It helped.
 
Hi @SuperSnapper Thanks! Honestly, I think getting back ROM is at least 50% involved with swelling. A swollen leg just will not bend, plain and simple. The rest is up to stretching and muscle strengthening which is also hard to do with a swollen leg. A week ago Tuesday my ROM was only 70 degrees flexion and my leg was absolutely huge with swelling. By Friday last week it was coming down and my flexion was 92 and this Tuesday it was 102 with even less swelling. The gains in ROM will slow down now because the swelling isn't as big of an issue as it was. At least I understand all that better now than I did with my left leg. And I have a better understanding of the need to be patient although it isn't always easy. You're coming up on your Op date very soon now. Are you ready?
 
That's a great improvement in ROM!
I'm sort of ready, thanks for asking but the waiting does get to you, doesn't it? Last minute shopping done today and lunch out with my husband so had a good day really. I just want to get it over with.

Actually, you've proved the Bonesmart mantra about rest and swelling really works! Even though the anaemia sucks!
:wowspring:
 
@gr82cu2, oh Janet! I am so relieved for you that Darrell was so helpful today and was able to answer your questions. It sounds like you have a good plan set for your pain levels. I hope they work for you. I know it's been a long, painful road for you, but hopefully you are on your way!!!!!
 
@gr82cu2 It sounds like it all went as well as can be expected. Remember when you are on blood thinners you bruise easier, so Darrell's thoughts about the rib cage bruising do sound plausible. I'm glad to think they didn't beat you up on the operating table! :)

Isn't it nice to not have to beg for drugs. I had to call today for more Tramadol and I was so sure they would ask me why I still needed them. Luckily they didn't question it and sent the prescription in. Hopefully the new pain management plan will work - you will be able to rest so much better, and I think feel stronger if you can get that pain level down.

So glad all went well.....now rest up from your long day!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gr82cu2

Janet,

Just in a little while ago and it's 11:50 pm here, but wanted to hear about your appointment with Darrell today.
I could sense the relief in the words you had written and could almost sense the tension lifting.

With your increased ROM and haemoglobin levels increasing, will help in your recovery.
So very happy for you.

Cathie
 
I just want to get it over with.
I totally understand! I felt that way more with my 2nd than my first if you can believe it.

Actually, you've proved the Bonesmart mantra about rest and swelling really works!
It really does! Please remember that for yourself. Actually my left leg has improved quite a bit more these past 2 weeks by being off of it so much. I don't feel there is any lingering swelling at all now and it bends easy until I get to my limit and even then doesn't feel so tight anymore. Of course, I have no idea what it would do at this point if I was suddenly able to put it to the test but for now it's a pretty happy knee :)

I'm glad to think they didn't beat you up on the operating table! :)
Me too! I even cried when I was telling him about it. Not because it hurt (it never really did) but because I felt like they had been careless in dealing with my unconscious body when I couldn't defend myself. I do believe him though. It makes sense to me.

I could sense the relief in the words you had written and could almost sense the tension lifting.
I do feel relieved. When I was in the hospital they did a better job of managing my pain this time than last time. Darrell had told me they got in "big trouble" for not properly medicating for pain. Who "they" are, I have no idea. Who they got in trouble with, I have no idea. They do send out a survey after each discharge from the hospital. Maybe they got too much feedback that pain wasn't being taken care of well enough. Before I was discharged I thanked Dr. Randolph for giving me stronger pain meds right off the bat this time, unlike last time. He told me they had ramped up all their pain medications. So somebody must have come down hard on them. Plus they knew this time I can't take the Celebrex and they were huge fans of that and used it in combination with Lyrica to control inflammation and nerve pain. But, the Celebrex was a no no for me this time.
 
@gr82cu2
Hi Janet! "Ditto" on what everyone has said about your positive meeting with Darrell. I'm so glad he is caring and is working well with you. Just want you to know I'm thinking of you and I care.

Connie
 
@gr82cu2 what a relief that your appointment went so well and you harmless to control the pain. I really believe you have turned a big corner with this knee and hopefully your recovery will be easier from here forward.
 
@ConnieJOS Thanks! I think that day we really clashed in the hospital with my 1st knee was just a really bad, no good, very ugly day for both of us. I'm positive that he read the email I sent Dr. Randolph which bothers me but at the same time if I got through to him that you can't be rude to me he apparently got the message and things are good now. When I saw him for my 2 week appointment with #1, in the hospital with #2 and today he was really nice and showed compassion which he definitely lacked with #1 when I was in the hospital. Whatever, it's all good now :)

@Minnie's knees I think that corner is up a ways still and I've yet to go around it. But, I'm hoping with the increase in the Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory) things will begin to settle down and as my anemia gets better that will help too. For whatever reason my body loves inflammation. Last year I had my rheumatologist all wigged out when I tore my meniscus. He aspirated the yuckiest looking fluid out of my knee and sent it for testing. My inflammation levels were dozens of times above "normal" and he freaked! My body seems to overreact to any kind of trauma. I need to look into some sort of anti-inflammatory diet or something, I swear. I would really like to be able to stop taking anti-inflammatory meds. I think they are bad to take for a very long time and I've already taken them for a very long time. Once these knees are 100% healed that will go a long ways towards being able to get off them, I hope! My knees have been the source of 90% of my pain complaints for a long time now. With having RA you know how it is and I certainly don't have to tell you. Here's hoping things settle quickly now and life gets a lot better and back to normal for all of us!
 
@gr82cu2 Has your rheumatologist ever talked to you about taking Tumeric? Mine has me on various supplements for my autoimmune issues and one of them is the Tumeric for inflammation. If you haven't tried it, you might want to ask your doctor what they think about giving it a try.
 
@ljrfrm Yes, I take turmeric but I've done it on my own. How much do you take? I stopped all my supplements for my surgeries. I need to get back on them.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom