Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

I'm sorry the pain med situation is so difficult. :( I like having my Christmas village too. Last year I put that out but didn't bother with the rest of my decorations. :(
 
@gr82cu2 Glad I can help!! Keeping your pain minimal needs to be your priority right now or you will never heal.

Thanks for the good wishes about work.....I'm pretty worried, as I tend to get pretty achey by the afternoon. Plus, my husband is out of town so I'm on my own with my youngest son. I'm sure it will all work out fine though :)
 
but when I need it I'll allow myself a little more. Friday I got through the day on only 3 Percocets and a couple of tylenol over 24 hours. That wasn't pleasant.

@gr82cu2

Hi Janet,
It's not a month yet since your surgery. You still need to be taking regular pain medication. It's too soon to try and cut back.

This may help to explain:
Pain management and the pain chart
 
@gr82cu2, Like you I always thought a pain management doctor was for someone with chronic pain, not recent surgery. I remember you telling us before they were stingy with the meds and maybe that's why. I think you would have a valid argument if you wanted a refill since it's past the time of a refill using it at the full dose. When I called for my first refill I talked candidly with the nurse and she said that if I was six weeks out needing a refill taking the maximum dosage then they would be worried. But they can clearly see that you are cutting down and that should not be a problem. I am so thankful that my doctor understands the need for the meds within reason. I wish your doctor was that way.
Try not to worry about your leg straightening. That was a big hurdle for me with my first surgery. The doctor said he had to straighten my leg as I was very knock kneed and he said another five degrees and it would have given way. Anyway I just couldn't get my extension and it hurt like heck each time during therapy. When I left therapy I got down to 2 and that was with Christine pushing down to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. I worked on it over the next year and I was so proud that it was finally straight. So try not to worry, you will get there.
I laughed out loud when I read about Kent bringing up all the decorations. Like you I have boxes and boxes and can just image the look on your face. A smaller tree sounds perfect for this year. You will have the best of both worlds, a little decoration but more importantly little work when it has to be put away!!!
 
Hi Janet and all the TKR people,
Thought I'd drop in to say hi! Janet, yesterday was our 4 month anniversary of having our knees done (your first knee)! Happy Anniversary!! I've been following the saga of your second knee - you've gone through so much and I'm sorry all that happened to you but I hope things are getting better. From the posts it seems to be better. I wish the best for you. I'm concentrating on trying to walk up stairs one at a time - hard for me. And am going to my PT who is putting me on a "stretching machine" for my back which has been painful. My knee is stiff but does not hurt and wonder of wonders I'm only on 3-4 Tylenols per day. I never thought that would happen. It still is a long road but I know we can do it. Think of you lots and hope and pray you feel better every day. I did read a post from Daystar so I know how she is doing. Take care!
Sending a cyber hug,
Foxsea
 
@gr82cu2 just popping by to see how you are? Hope the tiredness is improving after your very rough start to recovery. The pain situation is weird, isn't it? Today is my sixth day and no two days are the same regarding pain although a pattern of slightly higher pain is appearing in the evening In the day, I feel reasonably comfy. Anyway, hope things keep gradually improving.
All the very best
Mary
 
Well, last night was NOT a good night :boohoo: I took my oxycontin at 8 when it was due and took 1 Percocet when it was due at 9 and then another at midnight when I turned out the light. I woke up 2 hours later in so much pain. I just could not get my leg comfortable no matter what I did or what position I tried to lay in. Then it was a pattern of sleeping/waking every 30-45 minutes all night. When I finally got up this morning I wasn't at all sure I could even walk to the bathroom, it hurt that bad! I took my oxycontin again, 1 percocet and 1 tramadol and it has calmed down considerably now thank goodness. Why does it have to hurt so much more at night? Is it from not moving as much or moving too much in sleep? Or being asleep and getting it in some weird position and not moving it again until the pain wakes us? Ugh! I'm so over this! Sometimes I think this is never going to end and I feel so sad. I wish I would have never done this 2nd one, it's been such a nightmare. I'm trying to stay positive but it's getting harder and harder all the time.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, I wish I lived closer so I could visit and cheer you up. Hubby had the same thing at night, just couldn't get comfortable, especially with knee 2. It will end, you will get better. Remember try to remember how it was a week ago, is it better? This is just about the time for the TKR blues to hit. Keep telling yourself it will get better! HUGS
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2
I'm sorry you had such a bad night, Janet. Somehow our knees do seem to play up at night. I've often wondered if it's just reaction from the daytime activity. I guess you tried ice and elevation?

Yes, sometimes the recovery does seem interminable, but your knee will get better. You've had a hard time, so it probably seems longer to you. Hang in there! Things will improve.
 
@tiredwife Thank you! I wish you could come by too. Kent has been great, don't get me wrong and I even broke down and cried this morning in front of him. I usually try to hide it but I can't whine on and on to him constantly about all of this for some reason. I know if I was him I'd be way past sick of hearing about it by now.

@Celle Thank you. Yes, I had my cryo cuff on all night as well as my ice pack knee wrap over that. It stayed plenty cool all night. I stack pillows in a pyramid to elevate and keep my legs straight at the same time. I can't blame it on daytime activities because all I do is lay on this stupid couch.

Here's a few pictures I just took. They don't mean anything i guess other than it shows on the outside how slow it is healing compared to my first knee. I'll put 4 week pictures up of my left and my right. Left (1st) knee is top picture. Bottom is right.

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!


Close up of the problem area in the incision. This area is filled in with scabs as opposed to being covered over with scabs. It is very tender in this area but doesn't seem anymore red compared to the rest of it. I honestly wonder if it needs to be debrided.

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!


[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!


This is how my entire lower leg is peeling. My right leg did this too, about 3 or 4 times before it was over. Is this a result of the horrible swelling I had?

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, OMG, that looks so painful. Your OS thinks that's okay? I think Josephine needs to look at those photos! Why don't you tag her in!
 
Close up of the problem area in the incision. This area is filled in with scabs as opposed to being covered over with scabs. It is very tender in this area but doesn't seem anymore red compared to the rest of it. I honestly wonder if it needs to be debrided.

I'll ask @Josephine to look at your photos and give her professional opinion.

I have to say though that your right leg looks very much like my right leg did after I had my revision from PKR to TKR - and it has healed perfectly. Those areas where the scabs are will heal, but you may find that the scar is wider there. That's what happened with mine, anyway.

And no, they don' t need to be debrided. The scabs will take a long time to come off, but they will do so. Just leave them alone.

The rest of your leg is very dry. Mine was like that, too. I put loads of moisturising cream on it, avoiding the wound, of course.
 
@tiredwife It was pretty much like that when i had my followup with Darrell on the 20th. Apparently he didn't think it was a problem. I see Michelle tomorrow. I'll ask her what she thinks and if she thinks I should call Dr. Randolph or Darrell. She did remark one of the last couple of times I saw her that it looked still open in that area. But, it doesn't weep or seep fluid or anything. It is completely dry. It is tender around that area but believe me, my pain is coming from inside my leg, not the outside for the most part.
 
@gr82cu2 maybe you can show the photo to the thread OS and see what he thinks. The outside of the leg is showing the pain from the inside.
Hi Mini!
 
No, it's not a problem. All that has happened is that the wound opened up a wee bit in places so the healing delved into the crack and created a scab there. It will do that quite readily. They are very tiny and will heal all on their own. No need for any intervention, especially not debridement!

And yes, if your leg was grossly swollen, the skin gets stretched beyond its tolerances and is briefly deprived of nutrition so it peels off just like it had suburn. You might want to help it on its way by applying an emolient cream like E45 on it daily. It will make a mess but it will help the old, damaged skin get shed and the new skin to be exposed.

I had a leg just like that after I'd had cellulitis.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom