Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

It is so frustrating and because I can walk around people think you are find well I am not.
I hear ya there! Last week Kent was saying how my bruising was getting better and it must feel so much better. Uh, not really no. That was far from my biggest pain source. The other day I walked to the kitchen without my cane and he commented I seemed to be getting around pretty good. I guess so but as I told him that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt!

The only reason Christine gave was that it's not good to ice for too long.
I wonder sometimes if I ice too much. I've always read no more than 20 minutes an hour with ice. I guess I should research it and see why that is.

I have done it longer if it helps though.
I just know it feels so good. Without ice my knee feels stiffer and it feels like it is on fire a lot of the time. I'll put a frozen ice pack on and over my knee cap will melt and even get warm while the surrounding part of the ice pack is still semi frozen. That sucker is HOT!!

You already have excellent ROM for having such swelling issues, so I think there is hope of great progress coming soon
I sure hope you are right. I keep thinking maybe I will get lucky and that will be the case. My ROM is spot on and actually better than my OS looks for at my stage. I'm just hoping the anemia was a healing set back and once I'm back on track with my blood issues my knee will go fast forward. It better! I'm going to Vegas for real with my sister in March and I'd hate to be miserable with pain and swelling.

so you can enjoy dinner with family tomorrow
LOL, that was this past Sunday! I did enjoy it, just being with my family is always great and I didn't have to do the cooking for the first time EVER! I think maybe I was extra sore yesterday and some today because I went in and plunked myself down on their couch without really assessing the situation. It is a much lower couch than ours and very soft and I sunk right down in there. I couldn't get out of the darn thing!! My youngest son (who has a bad back) tried to help me up and I just couldn't get there. Finally I had to have them push the coffee table out of the way and I sort of rolled over onto my front and stood up from there. I felt pathetic. But, I think the attempts at standing might of strained some stuff.

and you are done with both knees.
That is the only thing getting me through this one. I will never have to do this again! Once it's over, it's over and it will be over eventually, right?

Way to go on the shower!
It felt great and since I had gotten myself in there and no one was waiting on me I took a nice, long, hot shower. Exfoliated my face and everything. I've been just letting my hair air dry. I'm not to the point yet where I can stand long enough to shower and do my hair all at once. Not related but over the past 10 years or so my once stick straight hair has turned wavy. I wish it was about 10% wavier and I could just let it go and it would look pretty good.
 
LOL, that was this past Sunday!
@gr82cu2 Oops! I really am behind on your posts or else I misread it. I am glad you had a good time with your family. I know the feeling of sitting down and getting stuck. I had to have my husband and daughter help me up from our couch downstairs.
 
@Minnie's knees I had to laugh about not being able to get off the couch I sat down on the floor to give my dogs some love and I could not get up and had to scoot on my butt across the floor (rug-----equal rug burns on hinnie) and get to chair and after about eight attempts managed to scoot pull my self up the chair I was exhausted and thought should have been thinking about how you can't get up very well.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet Happy Thanksgiving!
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
Hi Kathy @Minnie's knees and thank you. It's just been a very quiet, lazy weekend for us. Nothing special at all going on. Boredom is building :)

How are you feeling? Do you have another blood test this coming week?
 
@gr82cu2 Lazy weekend here too. I have been shopping online trying to get Christmas done. With 5 grandkids ages 3-10 it takes awhile. They usually get 3 gifts each for now but that will change as they get older and gifts get more expensive. Hoping to wrap gifts next week.

No followup blood tests until Jan at next appointment as they came so far down. I have only taken 2 pain pills in last 8 days so it should be ok. I see OS on Monday afternoon and will find out when he expects me to go back to work. I am hoping for at least 2 more weeks.
 
@Minnie's knees I haven't done any shopping at all. I told our kids I hope they are happy with cash this year because I just can't get out and shop and it gets harder, especially with the guys, when they get older. I can usually find things pretty easy for the girls though. They seem to like my taste in purses but I got them each one when we were in Italy this year. I wish I had little ones to buy for. That's so much more fun!

I totally forgot you have to go back to work! Ugh! I hope you can get more time off. I wouldn't think it should be a problem with your OS. It's only been a little over a month now, right? Do you have an office job where you sit a lot? Still, that gets painful having the leg down all the time. Hopefully you'll have a way to elevate and ice your leg now and then through the day.
 
@gr82cu2 Hope you're having a comfortable weekend. Every day you make it through is a day closer to feeling better........how is the swelling? Hopefully the pain is under more control. I know this has been a hard time for you and it's easy to get down - but just know we're all cheering you on and you've got this!!

I have been enjoying spending time this weekend with my two older boys home for Thanksgiving - loving every minute of it. We've spent a lot of time watching football, movies, etc. Today I am making my middle son Split Pea Soup, meatballs and chicken pot pie biscuits to take back to college with him tomorrow so he will have some real food in his apartment. My knees are not happy with all the cooking, but it does my heart good :) I also told them I'd do their laundry before they leave. It's nice to be needed - not that I've done my own laundry yet, LOL. They both leave tomorrow and my husband is heading out of town, so we'll be going from 5 to 2 in the house. I go full time on Monday - I'm a bit nervous as I know it will be hard. But, it's all part of the process of recovery!
 
@gr82cu2 I'm giving my kids cash too. Only shopping for the grandkids because they like gifts to open. Mostly online and my daughter is helping.

My Dr originally told me 6-8weeks for returning to work. It will be 6 weeks on Wed. I do have a desk job and will be able to ice and elevate as needed. But I also have a 45min commute in heavy traffic and its my right knee. So I have my arguments ready and hopefully the Dr will agree to give me at least 2 more weeks.
 
@gr82cu2, Hi Janet! Dropping by to say hi and see how you are feeling. Have your pain levels gone down any? I sure hope so. I did some Christmas shopping yesterday....from the computer, which I'm finding that I like more and more. Being an Amazon Prime member is a great way to shop. Our son, Marc really wants a Play Station 4. With starting his own business he doesn't really have any money and has to cut out going out with his friends. So he plays on his Play Station 3 all the time for entertainment. It's a little pricey but I figure there is only one of him and five in Jodi's family so I always spend a little more on him. Plus I don't know what I would have done without him during this recovery. He has done so much for me and is still doing things. There is no way I could have decorated yesterday and today if he didn't bring all the boxes up from the basement and then bring stuff back down for me. My granddaughters love to shop at the mall, so I'm getting them gift certificates from the mall. They are good in any store, so that makes it easy. I'm still trying to decide what to get Jodi and her hubby. Like you I'm trying to make things easy. Christmas is my favorite time of the year, but I still can't seem to get in the spirit of the season. Have a good night. Anne
 
@ljrfrm @Yorkimom and anyone else, just a little update at almost 4 weeks post op on #2 :)

Good morning! I feel like my anemia is much better now. I don't feel nearly as fatigued as I did for the 1st 2-3 weeks. That was awful! My swelling is still there but quite a bit better. It often feels like there is something pressing on the back of my knee or like a tightness there when there isn't anything there. It has to be swelling. The knee is still very stiff and the usual ligaments, tendons, etc. are still very, very sore. There is about 2" of my incision just at the bottom of my knee cap that is being stubborn with healing up. The incision looks wider there and is filled with scabs as opposed to being scabbed over. I guess the skin will heal from underneath since it isn't really joined back together on top? The scar will probably be wider there.

I've cut back on how many pain meds I'm taking. I have oxycontin 10mg that I do take on schedule every 8 hours. Then I have Percocet 7.5 mg. that was prescribed to take 1 or 2 every 6 hours. For a few days I took 2 on schedule but am now only taking 1 and if that doesn't kick the pain I throw in a Tylenol. I've been averaging about 4 Percocet in a 24 hr. period for several days now. I could take more and ease the pain more but I'm worried about developing a dependency and also it makes me so sleepy and I'm tired of being tired from the anemia. So, I'm trying to balance everything out so I'm not in too bad of pain but not taking too many meds either. I also would like that Percocet to last awhile longer in case of bad days here and there which you both know all about. I also have about 60 Tramadol for when the pain eases to the point it can be handled by that.

My leg has been aching a lot. It aches either in my thigh just above my knee towards the inner side or in the muscle that runs along side my shin. I told someone the other day it's the kind of pain that keeps you squirming trying to find a position that will ease it up some. I've put the heating pad on those areas a few times and that seems to help.

I'm still spending the majority of my time here on the sofa, icing and elevating and resting. I've been really slack on doing my home exercises but don't think I'm any worse off for it. I just feel like I'm teetering on the verge of the pain coming back with a vengeance like earlier on and the thought of that makes me shudder.

Knee #1 (4 months old yesterday!) didn't catch my attention at all for about 3 weeks. I don't know if it was because #2 just hurt so much more my brain couldn't show them both attention or that I was taking more meds in the beginning and now that I've cut back #1 is not as happy as it was for awhile, LOL! All in all though, #1 is doing really well. I feel like it is bending even better. I do bend it and push it several times a day so I don't lose ROM in it. At first when I would stand I would shift my weight onto my left leg and after a minute or so it would get shaky. It's not doing that quite as bad now. I don't know if I'm shifting less weight now or it is just getting stronger still.
The pain in my ankle and foot has eased up considerably the past few days. I think there was old blood trapped in there causing that pain. My foot towards my toes is still a very light yellow from the bruises. I guess because of gravity it is the last to go.

I'm bummed that I won't be able to decorate for Christmas this year. I love, love, love my Christmas tree and my Christmas Village and all my Christmas decorations. Since my Christmas dishes are stored here upstairs I may have Kent get them out and we'll at least have those. The one good thing about not getting everything out is I don't have to put everything away. Next year will definitely be better and we can go all out then. Hopefully by a year from now this will all seem like it was just a bump in the road and will be long gone in the rear view mirror :)
 
@gr82cu2, thanks for the update Janet. It sounds as though you are finally improving. You have been through so much try not to cut down the meds to much. You mentioned that besides them making you sleepy you worry about becoming dependent on them. You are taking them for pain and it would be rare that you become defendant. I am 10 weeks out and just got another refill on my oxycodone. I called my OS to get the script and was worried that with being over 8 weeks he wouldn't fill it. The script is for 60 and I didn't need that many but knew that the few I had left wouldn't last me. I'm down to taking maybe 2 a day but still take 2 before therapy. On those days I take 3. I have gotten to the point that sometimes I can go 12 or so hours until I need one. Joe picked up the script on Friday the 20th and left it in his briefcase. I got it out Sunday night with plans on getting it filled. Well I had about 10 pills left and forgot it on Monday. I wanted Marc to fill it on Wednesday but it was snowing and so miserable so he said he would get it filled on Friday if that was okay. He went on Friday and they couldn't fill it!! The pharmacist said that Delaware has a seven day limit on getting refills on controlled drugs. Thanksgiving was the seventh day. But he did say that Maryland doesn't have that law, so we went back, got the script and went to the Walgreens in Elkton, which is just 20 minutes away. So what I'm saying is that you are still very early in recovery and I don't think you have to worry.
I know exactly what you mean about the feeling in the back of your knee. At times it feels like something is there and I keep rubbing it. It feels a little swollen compared to my other knee. It that's it. I remember earlier in my recovery that was where I had most of my pain and I would just literally cry from the pain. It is nothing like that now, but I still get that feeling. I often wonder if part do it is the Baker's cyst that I have.
Do you think Kent could just get a couple of the decorations down for you? I haven't been in the Christmas mood at all, but with putting up some decorations it has helped. Maybe it would cheer you up. All I have left to do is the tree and I have to wait for Joe to being it upstairs and then we can decorate it which won't take much time since it's already pre-lit.
 
@Yorkimom Thanks for the reply. The other thing on the meds is when I saw Darrell at 2 weeks when he gave me what I have now he said if I run out of these and need more I'll have to see their pain management doctor. I'd really rather not go through that. I'm not sure why he feels that I would need to see the pain mgt. doc because with my first knee I called for more meds after 4 weeks and they gave me another Rx. Granted, this time the first meds I had didn't last as long because I was in more pain and taking 2 each dose instead of 1 like the 1st time. When he wrote the Rx's I have now, if I took 2 each time they would last 2 more weeks from when he wrote them which would make me 4 weeks post op. So, I don't know???? I am on stronger meds this time than last time though. 1st knee I had oxycodone 5mg & Tramadol to start. Then he refilled with hydrocodone 5 mg and Tramadol. This time I started with oxycontin 20 mg (in a tapering dose), oxycodone 5mg and Tramadol. Then he refilled with oxycontin 10 mg 3xday and 7.5 mg. percocet so my meds weren't really stepped down in strength from the first fill to the 2nd like they were last time. In fact, the percocet is stronger. I think I'll be ok. If not, I'll suck it up and go see the pain management guy they have. I'm just scared if I go see him and answer a question the wrong way he'll think I'm just after pills. Paranoid? YES I AM!! LOL!! I thought pain management doctors were for people who either have chronic painful conditions or people who need to be watched closely as to whether they are abusing their meds. Not for people like me who are in post surgical pain which although it seems like forever, is temporary.

The other thing with this knee unlike the 1st is it is not straightening as well. And those extension exercises hurt! Especially with those hamstring tendons being so tight and sore. I never noticed or realized but Darrell said my right leg (#2) was bow legged so they had to do some more straightening with that one. Maybe that's why it's being more stubborn.

We do have a small table top tree I'll have Kent bring up. He said he would haul it all up here if I wanted him to and I was like, Noooooooooo!!! LOL!! He did that one time back when I was working. I had mentioned that I would decorate over the weekend and when I got home on Friday he and the boys had hauled every box up here. OMG!! You have no idea how much Christmas stuff I have, LOL! It was overwhelming. What I usually do is bring it up a little at a time, put it up or out, take boxes back down (packed up with my every day stuff that has to go somewhere to make room for Christmas) and repeat until it's all done. Our tree is pre-lit too but it is a huge 9ft tree and invariably I have to fix some lights and it takes forever to decorate because I have to use a ladder and on and on. So, we'll just skip the big tree for this year. We're going to #2 son's house for Christmas so it will be ok. I'll just get out the little tiny tree and the dishes and call it good :)

p.s. was the 7 day limit because you had the script for more than 7 days before getting it filled? I'm not sure I understand. Glad you got them in any case.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, Hope your hubby can put up a few decorations for you! We don't decorate a lot any more. Mainly just our little fiber optics tree. I wish you were having a speedier recovery, but if you see improvements then you are recovering. It will get there, really it will.
 
@gr82cu2 I get the same achiness that makes you squirm so I totally get it. All the more reason to keep up on your meds. Cut back if you can, but don't allow your pain to get too high. I'm thinking that the reason Darrell wants you to maybe see the pain management guy is if your pain is still not in control. Hopefully if you call and them them it's controlled, but you still need the meds, they will give you another prescription without bringing in the new doctor. But, if you have to go to the pain managment doctor, it can only help. I know that it's a pain to go out to an appointment, and also it's hard to see yet another new doctor, but I bet you would probably get some really good advice, and pain support which might really help you in recovery. You need to be comfortable to rest and heal - so don't skimp on the meds too much.

That's great that knee #1 is doing so well - it seems it could be easy to lose some ROM with stiffness though so it's great you're still working on that. Glad you're feeling a bit stronger - and keep up the great work! You've made hug progress!
 
@tiredwife Having Kent put out any decorations would be like turning a bull loose in a china shop, haha!

@ljrfrm You know, you made me realize something that I may be mistaken about. What Darrell said was "If you need more than this I'll need you to see our pain management specialist." I took it to mean if I run out and need another refill. You may be absolutely correct. It may be that he meant if that strength and dosing isn't enough I'll need to see him. That makes more sense to me. I can totally understand that. I mean, my goodness, he has me on Oxycontin for heaven's sakes. I'm almost paranoid typing that here for fear some criminal will read it and come and find me and rob my house. Personally, I don't think it's that great but I guess it does the job of keeping the pain on more of a level line instead of spikes when the Percocet is wearing thin before the next dose is due.

Maybe tonight I'll go ahead and take 2 Percocets at bed time. I haven't been sleeping as well with this leg because the pain wakes me up over and over all night long. It's not excruciating pain but definitely enough to be very uncomfortable and unable to rest well.

Thanks for making me realize I may have totally misunderstood what he meant when he said it. Whew! Not gonna go crazy just in case I didn't misunderstand but when I need it I'll allow myself a little more. Friday I got through the day on only 3 Percocets and a couple of tylenol over 24 hours. That wasn't pleasant. Good luck going back to work full time this week. I'll be thinking about you and wish you well. Rest if you can when you get home :)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom