TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

That is how the photos they showed us in the class looked. The theory is it works by lifting the skin slightly, decompressing the soft tissues underneath, and allowing more room for fluids to flow out.
Janet, Glad to see the tape is helping.
 
Ok now I see @Pumpkln replied, haha! Exactly what Michelle said. Also, I should add, the is the 2nd area she has done on my leg. This is the side wrapping around towards the back way high on my thigh. First, she did the front towards my groin. When she removed the tape on Friday I had stripes. Now the bruising is completely gone. Pretty cool, if you ask me.
 
Been following your writings mainly because of your location; informative. Especially interested in your PT, because I'm supposed to start and swelling has been one of my major issues. Saw your location; can you give me more info? My ortho didn't want any PT, but I'm 5 weeks post, on walker, and can't stand for more than 3 minutes. Your PT description sounds awesome! I want this. Where and who?
 
@forever39 I go to PT at Ortho Indy west in Brownsburg. The address is 7950 Ortho Lane, Brownsburg, IN 46112. If you know the area it is off of Dan Jones Road between 300 North and 200 North, between Brownsburg and Avon. Phone is 317-268-3601. My therapist is Michelle Jones.

I wonder why your OS doesn't want you to have PT? That is really strange. If your insurance covers PT you would need an order from him (or your family doctor) to go there. You don't have to be an Ortho Indy patient.

I'm sorry to hear you are still having such trouble at 5 weeks post op. With the swelling still being so bad, have you been checked for a blood clot? The pain with standing can go on for a long while. I still had it in my left leg when I had my right one done 14 weeks later but it was getting better little by little. Are you elevating your leg and icing a lot? A lot, as in, leg up with ice on more than off?

Let me know if you are able to come to PT in Brownsburg. I can't say enough good things about Michelle. My other favorite there is Amanda. I had her once when Michelle was on vacation and really liked her. Good luck!
 
I just got back from the doctor. She said with where my hemoglobin was in the hospital I was borderline for needing a transfusion. If it has come up from taking the iron I need to keep taking it and get checked again in 2 weeks. If it hasn't she will send me for a transfusion. She also confirmed the anemia will slow down my healing :(
 
Janet @gr82cu2

That is a good result, at least you now know why you were so unusually tired and lacked energy, as in the hospital you were borderline transfusion.

Hopefully, the iron will restore your haemoglobin levels back to normal.

Rest now, you've had a busy day.

Cathie
 
@gr82cu2, while I wish it had been better news, like Cathie said, you now know the reason why you are so tired. Hopefully the blood work will show that the iron is working. Hang in there. You are doing great. Hugs, Anne
 
@gr82cu2, Janet, here are some foods high in iron listed on Web

Iron-Rich Foods
Spinach may not give you superhuman strength to fight off villains like Popeye's nemesis Bluto, but this leafy green and other foods containing iron can help you fight a different type of enemy -- iron-deficiency anemia.

Iron-deficiency anemia, the most common form of anemia, is a decrease in the number of red blood cells caused by too little iron. Without sufficient iron, your body can't produce enough hemoglobin, a substance in red blood cells that makes it possible for them to carry oxygen to the body's tissues. As a result, you may feel weak, tired, and irritable.

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!


About 20% of women, 50% of pregnant women, and 3% of men do not have enough iron in their body. The solution, in many cases, is to consume more foods high in iron.

Continue reading below...

Breakfast cereals enriched with iron
  • One cup of cooked beans
  • One-half cup of tofu
  • 1 ounce of pumpkin, sesame, or squash seeds
Good sources of nonheme iron, with 2.1 milligrams or more per serving, include:

  • One-half cup of canned lima beans, red kidney beans, chickpeas, or split peas
  • One cup of dried apricots
  • One medium baked potato
  • One medium stalk of broccoli
  • One cup of cooked enriched egg noodles
  • One-fourth cup of wheat germ
Other sources of nonheme iron, with 0.7 milligrams or more, include:

  • 1 ounce of peanuts, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, roasted almonds, roasted cashews, or sunflower seeds
  • One-half cup of dried seedless raisins, peaches, or prunes
  • One cup of spinach
  • One medium green pepper
  • One cup of pasta
  • One slice of bread, pumpernickel bagel, or bran muffin
  • One cup of rice
 
@tiredwife @Minnie's knees @Yorkimom @marmora

Thanks! I hope the iron helps too. This is bad enough without feeling so blah on top of everything else. I guess the fact that I feel so far behind where I was before is evidence of the slower healing. I know no two knees are the same but it feels like I've gotten almost nowhere since I've been home for 10 days. Pain is still high, very high so I sure hope Darrell will Rx some more good pain meds for me when I see him Thursday. I've had to take close to twice as many pain pills this time (still within how it was prescribed but taking 2 instead of one like last time) to keep the pain from getting out of control but it still runs 7 or 8 most of the time. The swelling has come down some and bruises are getting a little bit better but it all sure feels a lot slower than last time. It was very painful walking today. Last time at 2 weeks I was getting around pretty good and about to ditch the walker for the cane. I was walking pretty normally, just at a slower pace. Now, it feels like I'm trying to walk around on a broken leg :boohoo:And I definitely have the tight band this time. Actually it doesn't feel like a tight band as much as a tourniquet around my knee. I keep checking my TED hose thinking they are wrinkled up around my knee and pinching but they aren't. I get to ditch those on Thursday too which will be nice.

We'll see what Michelle thinks tomorrow, I guess. Last time she sent a report to Darrell so I imagine she will do that again so he'll know I'm not getting along nearly as well this time. Boo!!!
 
Wow, what a rough time Janet. Hats off to you for handling it as well as you have. I know it's so hard. Just hang on to the fact that every day is a step closer to being well. It's a really hard road, but it really will be worth it.

I've had a rough day today too. I worked for five hours and we were busy. My knee swelled up terribly. I posted a pic on my thread if you want to take a look. Yuk yuk yuk, but I'm icing, resting, medicating, and elevating tonight.

Connie
 
Back
Top Bottom