Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

I wonder how long it takes to build your blood back up from anemia. I've only had it once and that was before menopause when my hormones were causing me to lose, uh... I'll just say "iron". I had a D&C which fixed the source of my problem, but I can't remember how long before my blood was normal again. When do you get rechecked?
 
@gr82cu2 How are you feeling today? Is the swelling continuing to slowly improve? I think you need to feel good that your ROM is so good with such swelling - imagine where you will be once that swelling goes down? You will rock that knee bend :)
 
Do any of you suppose this anemia could be slowing down my healing?
Are you on blood thinners? I know that really plays a part in the swelling, fluid build up, etc. which will totally slow down healing. that was my biggest problem. Once I got off of my Coumadin, I had such an immediate difference in the swelling.

After I had my third son, I had a lot of bleeding problems post-delivery and became very anemic as a result. It really took a lot out of me energy wise, and took awhile for me to feel myself again. Your body needs energy to heal - so I do think it's somewhat related. The best thing you can do right now is keep resting and not fight it - as it's your body working hard to heal.

I think you have a triple whammy of the blood thinners (if you're on them), the RA and then the anemia.
 
@gr82cu2 anemia will slow healing feel sorry for you as its frustrating. We are all diff im our healing just takes time my leg was huge till recent and I was always pushing it then regretting it later with the odd oww, well I am odd. Hope anemia thingy can be sorted would give you a girder but tha may hit me with it

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@ljrfrm @gr82cu2

Have been on anti- blood clotting medication nearly 40 years.
It should effect your iron levels or blood count or cause anaemia.
It prevents the platelets from sticking together and that can cause blood clots.

Cathie
 
I wonder how long it takes to build your blood back up from anemia.
I just talked to my daughter-in-law who is a PA. I tend to forget she is because as long as I've known her she hasn't been practicing. She was working on her doctorate and is now teaching. Anyway, she said it could take 6 weeks. I see my family doctor tomorrow for a blood test.

How are you feeling today? Is the swelling continuing to slowly improve?
Still really tired. I just had a nap.....again. The swelling sure doesn't seem better. It's awfully stiff today. When I laid down for my nap my right hip was aching so bad. It's still horribly bruised. I thought a heating pad might feel nice so I had a heating pad on my hip and an ice pack on my knee, LOL. What a mess!

Are you on blood thinners?
I'm on Xarelto and take the last one tomorrow. I don't recall that the swelling improved before when I was able to get off of it. But, at least maybe these bruises will finally heal up! I'm also taking Meloxicam for inflammation which I don't think is doing much to be honest but they have me on a low dose to keep the blood thinning part of it to a minimum.
 
@gr82cu2 LOL, on the heating pad/ice combo. I have an area on the side of my knee (calf/hamstring area) which has been giving me problems. So I had the heating pad on it and ice on my knees. I think my body was very confused too :)
 
Hi Janet, @gr82cu2

About the tiredness - you've had two TKRs in one year, the last one very recently. As well, you're anaemic.
At the moment pretty much all of your body's energy is directed towards healing your latest TKR.

It's normal to feel so tired. Just rest as much as you can. I think it could take some time before you get all your energy back.

Did you read this article, which helps to explain the energy drain?
Energy drain for TKRs
 
@Celle

I have looked at the energy drain illustration a couple of times and I don't understand it. What does "child body" and "parent body" mean? Both examples show both bodies during a given time frame, but somehow they represent my one body? And I don't understand the lines and arrows or the pinks and the Reds. I'm sorry, but I guess the concept just totally escaped me. Could you explain?

Connie
 
Yes, they both represent your one body.
The "child body" represents your wounded body, that needs care and nurturing, just as a parent cares for and nurtures a child.
The "parent body" represents your whole, healthy body, with its energy reserves.

Josephine has explained it here: "Just as a baby will take from its mother regardless of her health and well being, so will this 'child' body drain energy from the 'parent' body. This is the reason why, when a person wants to be up and get going on with things, they very quickly run out of stamina and end up feeling totally fatigued and washed out! This 'child' body takes no enemies! It will take what it needs when it needs it and you better get used to accommodating its need "

In other words, even though you may have had plenty of energy before your operation, healing your knee and the rest of your body is going to sap all of your energy at first. As time goes by, a decreasing amount of energy is needed for healing, although it could take several months before you feel completely back to normal. It's totally normal to feel tired and drained after such major surgery and you won't bounce back quickly.

The energy needed to heal your body is drained from your total body reserves - represented by the "parent body".
The arrows represent the drain of that energy, and where most energy is needed. The colour shading represents how much energy is drained, from deep red at first (which means lots), fading to the lighter pink as time passes. As you heal, you will gradually begin to feel less tired, although you will lack stamina for some time.

As a personal example, it is almost 9 weeks since I had my left TKR. At first, all I wanted to do was lie around and sleep. Gradually, I became more mobile, but I had no energy for doing anything except my basic body cares. I would need to lie down and rest for a couple of hours, even after only taking a shower.

Now, my knee is doing well. I have taken back most of my household chores, but I still find that I only have enough energy to do one major task per day. If I do cleaning or baking in the morning, I need to rest for most of the afternoon, or else I feel totally wiped out.
I went to town last Thursday and walked around the mall for a while, but I had to find a bench to sit down, because I suddenly felt very tired. Normally, I would've been able to shop for a couple of hours without stopping, but I haven't reached that stage yet.

My left knee still feels hotter than my right knee. That's a sign that, although the wound looks healed on the surface, deep healing is still taking place. It can take up to a year before all your soft tissues are completely healed.

I hope that this explanation helps.
 
@Celle Thank you and yes I've read all the articles several times. I think my biggest challenge this go round, so far, has been dealing with the anemia. I recognized the energy drain when it happened with the 1st one but this is different. It's a kind of tiredness I've never experienced before under any circumstances. Also, this knee has been much more painful than the first one was. As a result I've taken more pain meds which doesn't help with feeling tired. I've never been anemic in my life so it's all new to me and frankly, I don't like it, haha! You know, we all think these things happen to other people :)

I had 14 weeks between the two and the 1st wasn't 100% yet by any means. There was/is still plenty of inflammation going on in there. It's still warm to the touch although the swelling seems to be pretty good as of now. I was a little afraid of over burdening it when I had the 2nd one done but I don't think it's done any harm. Actually, even though I complained about it right up until the 2nd one was done I've barely noticed it since. The 2nd one rules now! And #1 is happy to skim some pain meds off #2, LOL!!

I just worry about regaining strength in my legs at this point and how big of a challenge that is going to be. I was off my feet a lot before the 1st one was done and barely back when the 2nd one was done and now I'm really off my feet, most of the time. I notice if I stand for more than a couple of minutes even my left (#1) leg feels very weak and shaky. My PT tells me I have really good muscle tone though so I try not to worry.

Thanks Celle for helping!
 
This picture didn't turn out very well. It looks more dramatic in person but I thought I'd show you all my lovely leg :) That is the Kinesio tape Michelle put on. One of the "fingers" came loose so I cut it off. Can you see where the bruise under where the tape was is greatly diminished?

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
Just take it one day at a time, Janet, and you'll get there. Try not to expect too much of yourself, and celebrate the littlest achievements.

With two TKRs and anaemia, your body is dealing with more than a double whammy, so patience is going to be your best friend.
 
@Pumpkln has just been to a course about kinesio tape. She might be interested in your photo, Janet.
I can certainly see a line where the bruising has decreased. I wonder how that works?
 
Back
Top Bottom