Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Before I forget to ask, does anyone have experience with Meloxicam (Mobic)? Darrell the dreaded now turned dreamy PA was just in to see me. We talked about how I had turned allergic to Celebrex and I told him I'm really, really worried about not being able to take anti-inflammatories to help with the swelling and just my overall arthritis which has been flaring up bad the past couple of weeks. He said he would Rx Mobic because at the 7.5 mg. dose it doesn't seem to thin your blood and would be way better to take than Aleve as far as that is concerned. Just wondering if anyone has taken it and what the outcome was. Of course I read the side effects which can be scary but aren't they all?

So further update since this morning.........PT came and guess what??? Guess what!!!!!! My flexion was 108!!! Whoohoo! I think it could have been more but he made me stop, LOL. Extension was at 3 which isn't bad for this point at all.

This knee is feeling soooooo much better and different than the last one, so far. It doesn't hurt nearly as badly. What actual pain I have is on the lateral side and behind my knee in the crease area extending down slightly onto my calf. When I stand I don't get that horrid whoosh of burning pain down my shin.

Darrell changed the dressing and it looks just about like last time. It is swollen obviously but for now at least, the bruising seems to be confined to just the area around my knee in the front only. I know that will likely change over the next few days. I'm stitched on the inside again and glued on the outside. There was a little blood on the dressing but not bad. Like last time I'll be able to shower as soon as the incision is completely dry.

I don't know if the lessened pain is just because this knee is being different or the fact they are managing my pain better this time. Probably a little of both. BTW Darrell brought up the fact of the prescription laws changing to say he can't write refills on the Oxycodone, Hydrocodone or Tramadol now which I was aware of. Even he thinks it's ridiculous and will make the underlying (black market sales) problem worse because physicians are not going to want to be bothered to write prescriptions over and over and will just write the initial one for bigger quantities. And that's exactly what he is doing. He is doing the same on Oxycodone as last time with an initial fill of 90 but he wrote my Tramadol for 150 instead of 50 with 2 refills like last time. I will see him again on the 20th so I'll be fine with the initial fill of Oxycodone and can get another RX for either that or Hydrocodone when I see him again then. I'm finding it remarkable the difference in their attitudes about it from last time to this time. It may have to do with my turning in the survey from last time with complaints about improper pain control, who knows? Or perhaps the fact that I only called ONE time following the last operation to ask for additional pain meds and if they did the math they would have figured out that I made a 11 day supply last for 28 days so I'm clearly not an abuser. He did say a few years ago they got in trouble for under medicating patients and causing them undo pain. I'm not sure who got on them about it, that wasn't clear. Maybe it was the hospital board or something.

I've not been impressed so far with my day nursing staff :( I'm creeping up now on waiting 4 hours for the cna to return. She said she would be back later to help me get cleaned up and dressed. Mostly I want to get to the bathroom sink and brush my teeth! I could stand to pee again too, LOL!

Kent should be coming shortly. I called him because PT wants me to have my NMES and I didn't bring it because they didn't use it last time. Thankfully he hadn't left home yet so he is bringing it to me.

Now you're all up to date!!! I can't even tell you how happy I am that this time has been so much better than last time, so far. It makes the road ahead feel like it may be just a little bit shorter and that has me breathing a sigh of relief because I really hope to have a fun, pain free time in Vegas with my sister in March!!

This is me doing the happy dance :)
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

So glad your pain is being controlled. Awesome on the flexion and extension. Congrats!
 
@gr82cu2
You are doing Awesome :yahoo:I have no doubt your trip to Vegas will go on as planned :)
I will not try to trick you out of your "HUNK", but he sure looks nice on a Ladder with the wind
Blowing:roseshwr:
Are you going to Rehab ? For how long ? Do they allow "HUNKS" ? If not, I am available to help
Out with that :yes!:
Keep doing what you are doing :friends:
Love,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@gr82cu2, Just catching up on my reading! Had trouble getting on site (forgot password and then my email addy was misspelled so had to have some help)
-- when writing your gmail addy, put @gmail, not @email! :bignono: :heehee:

Please add my name to the "through thick and thin" list. My major problem is emotional eating, if I get stressed, I want to eat everything in site! My number is going to be 60 lbs + as the total with aims for celebrations at each 10 pound marker reached!

Note to self: celebrations are not to include cake or the like.... :no-fin:

PS. I haven't read up to your latest surgery post yet... Hope all went well!
 
@gr82cu2, Janet, I am so happy for you that they are controlling your pain and keeping you comfortable!! Your nurses sound like sweethearts. Hopefully your knee will continue to improve and it will be an easier recovery than the first. Try to get some rest. Sending hugs, Anne
 
Everyone, I'm so upset and can't stop crying. I tried to take a nap this afternoon and the more I laid here the more my leg hurt. I was not overdue for meds. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and called the nurse. She gave me a shot of morphine and 2 Percosets. I rested awhile longer, like 30 minutes, and the PT came in. We did a few stretching exercises and she measured my flexion again. My leg has ballooned up so bad that my flexion fell from 108 this morning to 80 now! I'm just sick over it. This is why I need anti-inflammatories so badly. My stupid body just loves to swell. I asked my nurse to call Darrell to see if I can have the Meloxicam started here ASAP instead of waiting to pick up an Rx on the way home tomorrow. At this rate my leg will probably explode. The incision area is so swollen it is now bleeding through my bandages. I was feeling so up and happy this morning. Minimal pain, good flexion and it's all out the window now. Ugh! I need cyber hugs please.....really, really bad!
 
@gr82cu2 I am so sorry you are going threw this I know about the swelling I thought my skin would explode I would not like my leg to be bleeding either. At one time my RA doctor gave me mexolcame (sp) and it did nothing for me maybe it will help you as we are all different. Stay on them to get something done with that pain. Even if you have to bug them every 5 minutes don't worry about your rom you know when it swells your leg it decreases try to settle your self down and make them take care
 
@gr82cu2
Please don't despair :console2: This happens quite frequently. You feel so Wonderful to have
Made it through surgery, We are on cloud 9. The reality hits, swelling, multi-colored
Bruises, aches & pains in all different places. You treated the pain, now ice & elevate.:ice:
ROM will go down with swelling, so Please don't worry about that.
You are doing Great :console2:Don't let anyone tell you different :friends:
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

I hate when folks cry
I hope you feel Better,
Love,
Diana
 
Nurse just came in and gave me an injection of dilaudid for pain and a xanax to relax the muscles. The hospital doctor is going to come and has already ordered a doppler test to look for a blood clot. I'm not kidding you guys this happened in the span of less than 2 hours. I asked about a blood clot because my calf is hurting really bad and it hadn't been too much before. They don't carry the Meloxicam in the hospital pharmacy so I will ask the doctor that comes if I can start it now to call it in to our CVS and Kent will go get it and bring it here. They can keep control of the bottle or whatever, I don't care but I need anti-inflammatories in me like RIGHT NOW!!! It's just so scary because it happened so suddenly. I was lying down as it was happening so it's not like I was up moving around too much or anything. They have an alarm on my bed so I can't get up on my own. I'll let you know what the doctor says. They have to call someone in to do the doppler test because it is "after hours". Sheesh! She said it should be in the next 2 hours or so. I wish my PA daughter in law would show up cause she wouldn't be the least bit shy about telling them to make sure everything is alright. Thanks for the cyber hugs, they really do help. I don't know what I would do without you all.

@eldon You might have to remind me later. The written list I was keeping is at home. I'll try to remember to add you if/when I get home tomorrow.
 
@gr82cu2 One of Steve's PTs said if you have your leg out straight I front of you and bend your toes back to point toward your belly and the pain really increases then you might have a clot.
 
One of Steve's PTs said if you have your leg out straight I front of you and bend your toes back to point toward your belly and the pain really increases then you might have a clot.
That's exactly what it's doing. Very painful when I do that. My leg is hard as a rock with swelling. .......still waiting on the hospital doctor so come by. My surgeon was here around 1 and I was all smiling and fine then. His PA was here around 11 am and I was fine and smiling then. And sometime right before OS came the hospital internist came and I was all happy and smiling. This happened so suddenly it's very frightening.
 
@gr82cu2 Like I said, if it is a clot don't panic they will take care of it. They have dealt with probably everything that could possibly happen. Try to stay calm and focus on happy thoughts.
 
@gr82cu2 I'm so sorry things have gone downhill so quickly. I can understand why it's so scary. I'm glad they're checking for the clot, just in case! It does seem like it happened very quickly - but, swelling is normal and sometimes it's just part of the process. I know exactly how you feel though, as I went from around 90 to 72 degrees pretty quickly and it was so depressing. BUT, please keep in mind the good news is that you know you have 108......it's just the swelling. So once the swelling goes down, you will have a great ROM to begin working with. You know the drill when you get home - ice, ice baby! If you can start getting some anti-inflamatories in as well that would be great. But, you will get those degrees back. Don't let it get you down - think of it as one step closer to healing. I know, it's easy for me to say - but once you have swelling, you can only just work with it. The best you can do right now is rest and keep up with the pain medication so you can relax. Keep in touch and let us know how the dopplar goes. Cyberhugs!!
 
Back
Top Bottom