Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2 had you on my mind, now know why it was your big day.
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
I am praying that they get that pain under control . Hope they drug you up good and get a good nights sleep
 
**I'm just going to copy and paste what I just wrote to friends on facebook, it's easier that way**

Well, they changed their "protocol" between #1 and #2 The first time they went in my leg in 3 places guided by ultrasound and deadened 3 nerve bundles which kept my leg asleep fully for 12 hours and then it gradually woke up over the next 6 hours or so. So I didn't have a lot of pain over the first 12 or so hours. He said they changed just this month to this new regimen. They did something in my spine which was described to me as an epidural by one person and something else by another. It was only to last a couple of hours after surgery but he claimed the pain wouldn't spike when it wore off. Well, considering it didn't do anything at all that didn't happen. The anesthesiologist did the "epidural" in the OR before putting me to sleep and I remember it and him asking if my leg was feeling heavy and numb. I answered, no not at all and then I don't remember another thing until I woke up in recovery wishing they had just amputated my leg. The pain was excruciating. They hussled and got another anesthesiologist that did God knows what but it was supposed to numb my knee area and it did not. Prior to going into the OR they had given me ONE Tylenol extra strength. Pffffttt! The recovery room nurse claimed she gave me all the IV pain meds she was allowed in the recovery room but I didn't feel a bit of relief from them. Kent and I have both told these people, over and over, that I have a high pain threshold but if they let it get away from me it takes a LOT to bring it down. I will say though that my OS seems more understanding and compassionate about handling my pain this time after I go home so we'll see what that leads to. I can't take Celebrex or any NSAID's while i'm on blood thinners and that scares the heck out of me.

.....not on facebook below :)

Pain is much better wavering between 3 & 5 depending on last pain dose. They are giving me two 7.5 Percosets every 4 hours, 2 long acting oxycontins every 12 hours (I think that's what they told me it is) and some sort of long acting morphine something or other here and there :)

One thing I've definitely noticed so far, the whole 2 times I've stood on it, is that horrid burning sensation is not in my lower leg like last time. My knee feels tender on the lateral side but fine for the most part on the medial side. It does feel swollen and tender behind my knee in the crease area. The whole darn leg is aching of course but with the meds but it is tolerable. So far swelling doesn't seem too ridiculous and it is definitely bending easier than the last one. So, hooray for that!

Thanks to all for the get well wishes and thanks @Yorkimom for the beautiful flower bouquet. They smell heavenly!

My night nurse just came in and I had to kind of set her attitude straight and I think we'll get along fine now for the rest of the night. :eyebrows: She said the WRONG thing to me. :bignono: She had asked how my pain was and I told her 4-5 right now and she said, "That's not bad". I said, "Easy for you to say." And she said, "It's not going to be pain free" in a not so pleasant tone of voice. I informed her this is my 2nd knee replacement in 3 months and I'm fully aware it will not be pain free! :sos: Sheesh!!! I'm very emotional right now probably from all the stress and the pain meds in my system and quite frankly, when I'm in pain I get mean, LOL. Just ask Kent :) Later she asked where I'd like to try and keep my pain levels, asking 2 or 3? I said 2 would be wonderful but I realize that isn't necessarily very realistic. I just want the best I can get! Wouldn't any of us say that? Or are we supposed to grin and bear it? Anyway, after our little "conversation" she couldn't bend over backwards far enough for me so I WIN!! LOL! I brought one of my homemade ice wraps for my other knee and asked her if it would be possible to get a frozen gel pack for it. She happily obliged which I thought was very nice. I considered bring my own gel packs but figured they wouldn't be keen on storing in their freezer because they came from another environment. I figured if they wouldn't at least I could have Kent bring me a frozen one in the morning and that would be better than nothing. My left knee has never gone without ice as long as it has today so it is a bit happier now too.

Night nurse is coming back in about 10-15 minutes with more pain meds for the night and to get me tucked back into bed. I asked to be able to sit up here in the recliner for awhile. I felt like I needed to bend my knee for some reason.

And I had ANOTHER PIECE OF CHOCOLATE CAKE with dinner tonight!!!! YUMMY YUMMY! Hey, I'm going to take advantage of it while I'm here :) I had the roast turkey like last time. It really is good here. I wonder how they fix it because it is so moist and tender. Surely they don't roast turkey breasts through the day. I would think they would get dried out and gross. I also ordered a fresh fruit cup and some vanilla yogurt in case I'm up in the night and hungry. Night nurse (Ivy) even (on her own, without me asking) got a big cup of ice and put my yogurt in it so it would stay cold.

The wifi keeps cutting me off so I'm going to post this now so I don't lose it. If I'm awake in the night I may be back. Hope you all have a good, restful night! I'd like to go see if we've heard from Mercy's Peace. Take care everybody and I'll update again tomorrow. xox (((hugs))) xox
 
Good morning everybody!!!!! I slept really well for the most part. When Ivy came in around 2 am she scared m to death, haha! I had ear plugs in and didn't hear a thing and wasn't aware of the lights coming on at all. In my sleep, all of a sudden, I had a feeling of someone standing over me. I opened my eyes and there she was. She had even already taken off my one sock to check for warmth in my foot, brought ice water and some other stuff and I slept through it. Good drugs, I tell ya :) She did all the other stuff....vitals, gave more meds, helped me potty, etc. and I fell right back to sleep till about 5:30. I knew she was due to come again in about 15 minutes so I just stayed up. I had a super yummy omelet and another vanilla yogurt w/fresh fruit. And my first coffee in 2 days! Tastes like heaven :) I have to say the food here is off the charts good for a hospital.

Pain is very manageable this morning. At a 2 maybe??? Although I told Ivy 4-5 cause I don't want them experimenting with cutting back on meds already! At this point last time I was at a 7 minimum and running as high as 10 a lot of the time so this is much, much, much better. Ivy was very good about keeping my meds on time every 4 hours. When I first stand up it's kinda ouchy but not intolerable by any means. I'm kind of anxious for PT to come and see what she thinks. I really feel confident that this one is much better than the other one both in flexion and not as much pain/stiffness, so far. It doesn't feel like extension is quite as good as last time but I can feel a build up of swelling behind my knee so that probably explains that. But, I realize I've been mostly in bed and off of it now for a little over 24 hours. They have managed my pain much better this time and I'm very grateful for that and I will tell them that when the OS and PA come for another visit. It's hard to imagine but sometimes I think they don't really realize how important good pain management is with this. Like they think we should just power through the pain and do our exercises and normal activities despite it. If only it were that simple.

Ivy and I are old pals now :) She said she works tonight again but won't be sure if she will have my room until she gets here but she said she hopes she does get me and I said I hoped so too. I don't think she meant to come off the way she did in telling me this won't be pain free. I was probably being a tad bit too touchy but we kissed and made up and all is right with me and her :) I just met my day nurse Lana and her CNA Lauren. Everything seems fine with them. Soon my OS and or PA should be coming by for a visit and Lauren said she would be back to help me clean up a little and get dressed.

Oh! Another thing.....they have a different style of TED hose this time. You can adjust them at the top thigh area and they seem much better. If I get elephant leg up in my thigh I will be able to loosen them up a bit so they don't try to cut my leg off :)

Will wrote more later on. So far, so good!!!!
 
@@gr82cu2 - so happy to read that you have your pain med sorted out. It's the main thing that worries me about this. I had to laugh at you exaggerating your pain level in case they cut down on the meds! :heehee: That's something that I would do.
I am sure that the nursing staff don't realise how much their attitude can affect a patient - well, it's to be hoped not anyway.
Hope you continue to recover well and enjoy the chocolate cake :flwrysmile:
 
@gr82cu2 Janet glad things have gotten better for you! I was hoping this leg would be easier for you! Remember don't overdo it!
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
Glad you had a good night! I did the same thing with my meds. I'd exaggerate the pain level a bit just to make sure they wouldn't cut me back too far. I'm glad they have good food. Hospitals are getting much better about that! Have a great day, and it will go quickly. You'll be home in your nest before you know it! Love and hugs to you!! :loveshwr:
 
Hi @gr82cu2

I'm so pleased you're going into recovery so well. I was alarmed thought when I read about the spinal block not working. Oh and waking up in pain. Aaaaarrggghhh. I'll check in later on you. Just want to say to you well done and wish you a speedy recovery with minimal pain. That's realistic x.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 
Janet @gr82cu2

Very happy to read your first post-op post and hopefully, by now they have your pain medication sorted out and that you are comfortable.

Thinking of you,
Cathie
 
Back
Top Bottom