TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2, luckily the meds don't make me feel sick. I just don't have much of an appetite. On Sunday, Joe and Marc dropped off my car as it had two dents on the driver's door where someone just let their door swing open and marked it down to the metal. My car (a 2013 Audi Q5) is my baby. It took me a long time to get a new car and then it was a tough decision as to what to get. Some people are so careless and just don't care. Anyway on the way home they called and asked if I wanted dinner from Arby's. I haven't had anything from there in over a year. I got a beef and cheese and curly fries. I was starving when they got home. I ate half the sandwich and half my fries and felt sick to my stomach for the rest of the night. Before I would have finished that off with no problem. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm hoping long enough to lose 15 more pounds. I can really relate to your weight woes. I have been struggling with my weight ever since I went on fertility drugs when my daughter was three. I hate it!!!!! The one thing I do have to say is that exercise has been one key factor in helping keep most of the weight off. It was hard after the first surgery and there were some things that I couldn't do because of the replacement (jumping, running, etc.) and then my left knee started acting up. So now after two new knees I will have no excuses except for the things that I can't do with a replacement.
@marmora, sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you feel better soon. I hope you both have a good night. Anne
 
I dont have a problem going down steps UNTIL I get to the bottom. That last step is a killer.
Going up I have to concentrate so I dont drag my leg sideways when lifting it up. Still a bit stiff near the end of the bending limits.
Manageable, but I have to think about it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Janet @gr82cu2

Still in my pj's and it's 12 noon !
Feeling a bit better and not as chesty, as I write this also have my EMS unit on the knee & listening to the radio, so "multi-tasking" :heehee:


When you were talking about your sister coming to spend time with you, I can understand how happy that makes you feel.

My sister and I are Skyeping this afternoon, like you I don't see her often enough.
She is 13 years younger than me & lives in Illinois outside of Chicago.

She and her family were over for my sons' wedding in June and DH and I went to our nephews' wedding (our brothers' son)in California in March, so were together twice this year.

As these were family weddings, not much sister to sister bonding time.
Before, my TKR came about, we had planned to travel to London or Rome and have a sister to sister week this Autumn. Now postponed until the Spring.

Your scar looks very good ! And I looked at the other site, where you compared them through recovery and you can definitely see the difference.

Anne @Yorkimom - if you get the Irish Biscuit recipe would you send it on.
I'd love to try to make a batch and hang the calories, as I'm making them to explore an Irish biscuit tradition !

Hello @Reebok- I'll send you a batch of the Irish Biscuits when I get the recipe.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@marmora I frequently multi task with either my EMS or ice pack on :) I hope you are able to schedule some sister to sister time soon. There's nothing like it, especially when you really love your sister. My sister and I go to Las Vegas every year for a week, usually in January around my birthday and we have so much fun. Kent and I have a timeshare there and we stay there which is nice because it's like a 1 bedroom apartment and gives us plenty of room without being on top of each other constantly. It's also a very nice place to get away from the crowds when we want to and be comfortable catching up with each other. I think the next trip is going to get pushed out to March though. I want to be sure I feel good and can be up on my legs for as long as I want. We'll probably decide for sure this weekend while she is here.

@Reebok is your first stair higher or something? I remember in my parents house, which was the better part of 100 years old, the first step going up was higher than the rest.
 
@gr82cu2 Hi Janet, Good Morning! Hope you have a great day! When you go to Vegas do you drive or fly? My husband was there a long time ago TDY while in the Air Force. He said it was great because the meals were really cheap. We have heard that they are really expensive now. We have driven through it several times, but haven't stayed.
 
@tiredwife Oh no, we fly! 4 hours in the air vs many, many more hours in a car. It's the only way we go! There are still very reasonably priced places to eat out there. You just have to get off the strip though, for the most part. Many of the "locals" casinos off strip have great restaurants and buffets with very reasonable prices. And of course, they have all the usual chain restaurants all over town. Down on Fremont Street, in the old Las Vegas, there are good places too that don't cost an arm and a leg. We usually only eat twice a day when we are there. We'll have late breakfast/early lunch and then dinner later on. We always rent a car when we are there. Rentals are pretty cheap and it really saves the legs and feet and allows some time away from the craziness of the center strip. Typically what Carol and I do (Kent too when he goes with me, he is not allowed to come on the sister's trip!) is we take the car and get away from the strip area during the day. Then late afternoon we come back to the timeshare, relax for a bit, maybe have a glass of wine and/or a snack and then head out on foot for the evening to eat or see a show. We gamble a little but not a lot. I just love the excitement on the place, the lights and glitter and the people watching is superb, LOL. You see absolutely everything in Las Vegas, trust me. Lots of people love the shopping out there but it isn't for me. First of all I don't go on vacations to shop and second, all the designer boutiques are way out of my price league and their clothing looks ridiculous anyway, haha! And I sure don't need a $1,000 designer Prada purse. I'd rather put $1,000 in my cheapie purse :) Anyway, we have a great time and some very much needed sister time. It's something we started doing together about 10 years ago when our parents were going downhill and we needed to get away from the stresses of dealing with them and do something for ourselves.

Now, I better get back to dusting!!! I have company coming and need to get this house cleaned up. I'm starting today so I can do a little each day and not wear myself out. I want to feel good while she is here this weekend.

xox
 
@tiredwife It is fun! If you guys go through there again you should plan to stay over for about 3 nights, at least. There are other things you can do there too like Red Rock Canyon, Hoover Dam, the Grand Canyon isn't too far, Valley of Fire too. I don't like to go for less than a week if I can help it. That way we have plenty of time to do and see all the things we want without running ourselves ragged. I've even been there alone a couple of times. The first time was when I was mentally breaking down over my mom and dad and I just needed to get away and have something else to think about so I went for 5 nights and I actually really enjoyed it. I was on my own schedule and could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. The second time was last fall. Kent and I went together for 6 nights and then I stayed on for 3 more nights. We had points to burn on our timeshare, I was buying the airfare anyway, so I figured why not? He isn't as crazy about Vegas as I am so he didn't want to stay longer. The last time was kind of boring to be honest. I think it was because I had already been there 6 nights and was getting tired.
 
I don't really think of Vegas as being a big city. It is so easy to get around in with a car. Places like NYC, LA, Chicago, St. Louis, Miami, etc. have no appeal for me. I'd be scared to death to be honest. We were in NYC overnight one night prior to a cruise a few years back and I was scared to wander more than a couple of blocks from our hotel. The Cirque shows are fantastic. We've seen most of them over the years. Well, if you ever decide to go I'll be happy to help you pick a show or two and help you decide where to stay. Vegas is my magical place :)
 
@gr82cu2 Thank you Janet, I will let you know, won't be for a couple of years though. We were stationed at Andrews once outside DC, there are some really bad areas of DC. We have also driven around LA, not fun and the air is filthy, we've been through Salt Lake City, Denver, Nashville, and a few other cities. I don't like cities but I think Nashville is the worse to drive though, some of those people are scary.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, OH. MY. GOODNESS!

I cannot believe that you are so close to another knee! I am ahead of you and still have wretched stiffness and pain. You are so brave!

The weight gain thing is the story of my life, even though 15 lbs fell off after my tkr. The nausea was horrible for me and food was the last thing on my mind. You may have read that Cathie and I were both WW leaders in past lives. So, we sure do relate. Since then, I had a pain management doc suggest paleo to me. I tried it, loved it, dropped a good amount of weight. My problem now is, I just haven't been able to do much cooking. maybe when we are all back to normal (whatever that is) we can support each other in our weight loss endeavors!

Mary
 
@wolf woman Mary, it is so nice to hear from you. How are you doing? I've been thinking about you a lot but know you need your time to grieve. Losing one's mother is never an easy thing and with your loss being so sudden you had no time to prepare yourself. I hope things are getting a little easier for you. I know everyone tells you it gets better with time. I hated when people told me that but it is true. The only advice I can give you is to remember all the happy times you had and try to focus on that. And when you need to cry, go ahead and cry. But know your mom would not want you to be sad and she would want you to celebrate the life she had. With a daughter like you I'm sure she had a great one!

Yes, I'm getting frightfully close again aren't I? Physically I feel ready. I think that will be ok. I feel I've gotten quite a bit stronger over the past 2-3 weeks as I've been more active. Mentally I'm dreading starting the whole recovery process over again. But, with all the wonderful and supportive friends I've made here I'll get through it one way or another. I'm pretty stubborn and won't let anyone tell me or convince me I can't do anything I set my mind to and my mind is set to pain free knees! I figure just another 6 months or so and ALL of this should be behind me and my knees won't be the focus of my life any longer.

I'd love to be dieting buddies with anyone willing once we get to the point where we can focus on that. It really helps to have the support of others. I don't know too much about paleo but what I do know tells me it makes sense for our bodies and what we really need nutritionally. We'll definitely revisit this idea in the future. Deal?

I'm so glad to see you back with us. :)
 
@ljrfrm @gr82cu2
Okay girls, it's a deal! Now, let me say this about that....hehehe
I think we could each select the program we want to use and go from there. Any weight loss program works if you work it. And, there is no reason why a support system can't be divere in program. Let's all think it over and look forward to such a time. Just throwing it out there, maybe right after the holidays?
 
@gr82cu2, @wolf woman, @ljrfrm please count me in on the dieting group too. It really does help when you have others going through the same thing. Like I had mentioned before I really don't have much of an appetite right now but I know that won't last long and I need to lose another 15-20 pounds.
Janet, I love Las Vegas. It's been several years since I've been there but I like everything about it. I remember years ago we went with my parents and my brother and sister-in-law celebrating my mother's 70th birthday. We stayed at Caesar's. It was very nice and then we would shop the shops at the hotel. They had lots of them, but like you I think they are just way over priced and I can think of other ways to spend my money. I'll never forget we had tickets to see Celine Dion. We were sitting In the audience waiting for the show to start and you have to know my husband Joe. He is like the energizer bunny and just keeps on going. But once he sits down, he usually falls asleep at the drop of a hat. Well we are sitting there waiting and sure enough Joe falls asleep. You know how they have the teleprompter screens up throughout the audience. They had a camera going through the audience and all of a sudden, there is Joe sound asleep shown on the screen. Everyone started laughing and he woke up all embarrassed. We don't let him live that one down.
@marmora, I'll have to remind my mother to look for the recipe. She doesn't cook much anymore, but hopefully she'll find it. Lately she has been having trouble with her hips. She went to a different OS than mine and he said luckily her hips were strong, but she had a severe case of bursitis. He gave her a cortisone shot in one hip and two weeks later one in the other hip. She was feeling better and yesterday was out with friends for lunch and fell. She went to the emergency and thank God she didn't break anything, but was bruised pretty badly. So hopefully in a week or so I can ask her to look for the recipe, and as soon as I get it, I'll send it along.
I hope everyone has a good night. Anne
 
Yay! Our little dieting group is growing. I think this will be great! And after the holidays sounds good to me. And I agree, whatever works for each individual is good. I will say that the Dash diet was great. The food was fantastic and there are lots of opportunities to get adventurous in the kitchen. When I was doing it full on I would print off recipes and I made a binder and kept them like a cookbook. I have lots that are super yummy. I don't have diabetes but it is supposed to be a great diet for diabetics. I do have high blood pressure and it is good for that as sodium is kept minimal. We'll have to share recipes too which will be great. I'm excited!!!

@Yorkimom Anne, thank God your mom didn't break anything. Frequently a broken hip in the elderly spells the beginning of the end. Maybe the shots she got will help to keep the pain down. Bruises can hurt pretty bad though. I hope she feels better soon!

I just had a chat with @ConnieJOS on facebook. She is amazing! Absolutely amazing! She is doing really well, feeling not bad at all and was quite lucid during our "conversation". She feels like this knee will be easier than the last. I sure hope so for her sake. She's been through an awful lot this year.

Everyone have a good night!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom