TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2, Janet glad you received approval surgery. It's kind of funny, we know it will most likely be approved, but we hold our breath until we get that final approval! Have you tried to sleep in your bed yet. I hope you can before your next surgery. I talked to the PA and Christine about a heating pad on the back of my knee and they said that while I might get relief while it is on, they think the heat would only inflame the blood vessels more.
@marmora, Cathie, since you are talking about cooking do you make soda biscuits? I think that's what they are called. I remember as a teenager, our neighbor, Mrs Cronin who was close to 80 at gage time, made the best biscuits. They weren't sweet and she put currants in them. Soooo good with a cup of tea.
I hope everyone has a good evening. Anne
 
@Yorkimom Anne, I knew if they approved the 1st one they would approve this one. But, I wanted the printed approval, just in case! Don't wanna get left holding the bag to the tune of $50,000!! LOL!! That's a lot of vacations!! With the first one I questioned the OS office person about waiting till 2-3 weeks before surgery to contact them for approval. I figured I'd have to have all kinds of tests, x-rays, mri's etc. to get approval. She just laughed and said, "With Anthem? No, they don't require that and take our word that you need it." Ok, simple enough I guess. It's just such an expensive surgery that is hard to believe.

I've tried twice to sleep in bed and it was just a miserable experience. It's been probably 3 weeks since I last tried so I keep thinking maybe tonight I will try. But then, I get all comfy here in the recliner and I know I can and will sleep here so I just do. I guess it's my own fault for not really giving it another honest try. I sleep on my left side in bed and it's the sides of my knee that hurt the most. Even with a pillow between my knees it still hurt. I have no explanation for why I can sleep on my back in the recliner but not in bed. I guess because I'm not completely flat? Who knows? I feel all cradled and safe in my recliner, haha!

The biscuits you are describing to Cathie sound like scones.
 
@gr82cu2 You should give your bed a try!! I sleep on my side too sometimes (and other times on my stomach) and I have recently (this past week) noticed that I have a much easier time getting comfortable in bed. Maybe you will luck out and have some time in your bed before you next surgery!!! You will have a much easier time on your left side after your right knee surgery!! It sounds like you're overall doing better - I'm so glad :)
 
@ljrfrm Hi honey, how ya doing? I used to be a stomach sleeper until I developed degenerative disc disease in my cervical spine so that's no longer an option. It's kinda hard to sleep on your tummy and not have your head turned to the side. It took me forever to retrain myself. If I sleep on my back I have the sensation of falling and jerk. I really should give it another try, I suppose. I keep thinking if I take my jammie pants off I'll be able to move around easier under the sheets and I can strap on my ice pack to provide a cushion between my knees. And then, I just reach up, turn out the light and push back in the recliner and the next thing I know it's morning! Like magic :)
 
I wish I could explain how I slept on my side at the beginning - or show you. I must admit, I think the pain meds helped. I too can't sleep on my back. I found a way to twist my body (I had another pillow in front of me kind of hugging it) so I felt like my torso was on it's side, but my legs were not all the way sideways. (and I wonder why my muscles are so messed up, LOL). It actually worked well for the first few weeks. It's only been the last week I can go back on my stomach comfortably. I don't last long, but it's nice to be able to roll like that for a bit. My chiropractor freaked when I told her I slept some on my stomach - so bad for me. But hey, sleep is sleep :) My only issue now is I get muscle spasms from my legs from keeping them bent so long while asleep. So, I now find myself sleeping on my side but trying to straighten my legs. Always something, LOL. Go ahead and give it a try - and let us know!!!
 
@gr82cu2
hello Janet!

Was just reading about your dilemma with bed/recliner. A few years ago, we bought a split king articulating bed. Then almost two years ago, we bought sleep number mattresses for the bases. Wow, what a dream! I can move that bed in any configuration. It can be flat or head and foot up like a recliner. It can be firm or soft or in between. We love it! And no matter what body part gets worked on, there's a way to get comfy! Might go check them out at sleep number.

Mary
 
Hi Anne @Yorkimom

Janet @gr82cu2 is right about the scones.
If they are flatter than the muffin shape scone, then they are called "Drop Scones".
It is the same mixture, just a little runnier and the scone is flatter.

We also have "Rock Buns" which are a combination of a traditional Scone Shape and the runniness of a Drop Scone and "Rock Buns" have a dusting of Granulated Sugar to give a crunchy top.

The Scone mixture can also be used to make a round loaf of bread- with or without raisins or currents and that's called Soda Bread.

As the Eskimos have several words for snow, the Irish have several ways of using Scone batter.

Making me hungry, I have to walk to the pharmacy and next door is a fabulous bakery and will buy a scone for after my lunch. Delicious with real butter & jam.

If I'm up at Weight Watchers next week, I'll say It was because of you. :heehee:

Cathie
 
@ConnieJOS Since you tagged @madinana I'm sure she will be along shortly to spread the magic!

@wolf woman We have a sleep number bed, king size. We got it about 10 years ago and it remains the best money we've ever spent. But, it is one mattress, not two twins so what you describe wouldn't work. This is only a temporary problem anyway. One day it will be over!

@ljrfrm I just read your description of how you slept in the beginning. It sounds like how I slept when I was pregnant, LOL!!

@marmora Have a scone with jam and butter for me! :)

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@ConnieJOS I will try to help you but @tiredwife used a lot of my powers to get rid of the rain. So I am stirring up my potent
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
jflsdjfiejksd dksdkis sdjfdid fhsosleep djfsdfsdi (magic words) Please
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
sweep magic potent over @ConnieJOS and do fly over
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
and give Connie a good night sleep and if you pass by anybody else that needs it please help them and me while you are at it
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
and have a safe trip back home and no wild stunts
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
:heehee: :rotfl: :loll::loll:@gr82cu2 I did my best for her so hope it helps :snork:
 
@gr82cu2 The one night Steve was actually sleeping good and still asleep at 7 am and what happens, the phone rings and wakes him up! At least there is hope. Him and our friend are out drinking bourbon (yes it is early) and listening to music on the front porch. That gives me some time to sneak on! Have a great day!
 
@marmora, @gr82cu2, no they weren't scones. My neighbor down the street makes them and they are awesome!!!! The ones Mrs. Cronin made were biscuits. Irish biscuits....or maybe soda bread biscuits. I don't know, but I know they weren't scones. I'll have to ask my mother. Maybe she'll remember.
 
@Yorkimom How are you feeling today? I saw Josephine answered you and you answered her. It will be interesting to see what she tells you. I get the energy drain making you so tired after PT but I wonder about the shivers. That's really strange unless it is just the way your body is reacting to the whole healing/rehabbing process. I sure hope it gets better for you. I don't think I know where in the country you live but going into winter that won't be fun at all. It's cold enough without getting the shivers.

When we were in England in the spring we had a port stop on our cruise in Southampton. We hired a private tour guide to take us to the New Forest. But unfortunately, it was pouring rain that day so instead he took us to a beautiful old estate where we toured the mansion and grounds (between dodging rain showers) and after that he took us to a very quaint place to have what they call cream tea. It was like an entire meal, LOL. We had hot tea of course but also scones with butter and homemade plum jam that I still dream about. The jam was wonderful. Then, we were served 3 kinds of cake! They sure do know their tea there :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom