TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@marmora and @gr82cu2 I talked to my mother and she said that they were Irish tea biscuits with currants in them. She thinks Mrs. Cronin gave her the recipe years ago. She's going to see if she can find it.
 
@Yorkimom Hopefully if you mom finds the recipe you'll be able to get the needed ingredients. I've found with some old recipes the exact things are no longer available or the way the person wrote the recipe is hard to decipher what they meant. Recently I had a cousin email me about one of Grandma's recipes. It listed the ingredients and how much but one of them said "1 blue bowl of flour". LOL! She wanted to know if I remembered grandma's blue bowl and how big it was.
 
@gr82cu2, Janet, that is too funny and oh so true. I know from recipes that I have of my grandmother's some of the measurements for the ingredients are questionable. Hopefully I'll be able to follow the recipe if my mom finds it. I like to cook, but don't like to follow recipes. I usually just make it up as I go along. Many times I'll make soup, or whatever. My family loves it and then the next time I make it, it's not exactly the same. I have learned now that when I make something and they really like it, I go and write down what I did!!
 
@Yorkimom I used to only cook from memory or like you, throwing stuff together. I'd say now, I do more 1/2 & 1/2. I've become much more adventurous with cooking in my older age :) And as a result I've found some really fantastic recipes. I don't like things that call for ingredients that are hard to find or something that calls for some expensive spice that you wouldn't use any other way. Those I avoid. A little over a year ago I went on the Dash Diet and lost over 20#. I got the diet book, the cookbook and went on the internet to a site called Spark People that has lots of healthy recipes. I also follow a blogger via facebook called Kaylyn's Kitchen and she does wonderful, healthy recipes. I've fallen off the wagon since we went to Europe and then my surgery but plan to get back with it once I can stand longer in the kitchen to do all the prep work. I really loved, loved, loved all the fresh ingredients and vegetables. And I felt sooooo much better not eating much processed foods. I've been feeling so blah lately and I know it's because of how I'm eating.
 
@gr82cu2, great job on the weight loss. Eating healthy and not much processed foods really does make a difference. Four and a half years ago I went on South Beach, which while low carb, it does stress eating fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats. In a year I lost 60 pounds. Unfortunately I have gained back 20 pounds. While I wish I hadn't gained that much back, it is still better than I have done in the past. I would always lose and then gain it all back. Eating healthy really does make you feel so much better. The one thing you have to do though is cook and prep food more. I guess I got lazy before and the processed food was always there for a quick fix. Now I try not to buy it, but of course occasionally you are going to eat something that's not so healthy.
I have Kaylyn's site in my favorite places. I have found lots of great recipes. Anne
 
I wish I could say I've kept it off. I gained 3# while we were in Europe which I didn't think was bad at all considering we wined and dined our way through for 6 weeks. But, we got lots of walking and stair and hill climbing in. I haven't weighed since surgery but I know I've gained. I can feel it and see it. Blah!
 
I just got home from pre-op testing :shocked: Second verse, same as the first only I was able to get a flu shot and this time they swabbed my nose for MRSA which they didn't do last time. They said since I had now been hospitalized in the past year they had to do it. No biggie! I'm sure I don't have it.

I saw the same doctor I saw for the last pre-op testing. Of course he asked how I'm getting along with my already done knee. I asked if he wanted the truth or the sugar coated version, LOL. He wanted the truth. I told him that while I recognize it is getting better it is just so frustrating to be 12 weeks post op and the first and last thing on my mind every day is my knee. That it is still swelling and inhibits how much time I can be up and moving around on it before it gets so stiff, tight and uncomfortable I have to get off of it. He asked if I wanted him to call Dr. Randolph. Noooooooo!!!!! Please don't do that!!!! I know Dr. Randolph and I also know if he thought there was the tiniest bit of doubt that I could get through this next one he would call it off and that's the last thing I want. I told Dr. Reeder that I feel very confident that nothing is wrong and also that my operated knee is now strong enough to compensate when I get the right one done. It's just all taking longer than I had hoped for but I also told him that everyone I know (all of you!!!) that have gone through this tell me there is nothing unusual about still feeling this way. So, he agreed he wouldn't call Dr. Randolph and he would stay out of it. Whew!!!!

And I got weighed :bawl: I've gained 10# since the last one. It doesn't surprise me but I hate it. Why is it so much easier to put weight on than take it off? My appetite has never been affected by this and with being so sedentary the weight came. Blah! Also, I haven't been eating the healthiest and have tended to go more for whatever is quicker to get on the table. I can't wait until all this recovering is over and I feel like spending more time in the kitchen and cook healthy, fresh foods again and get away from the quick, processed, convenient foods. Oh well, it is what it is and I'll get it back off eventually. I just hope I don't gain another 10# with the next one!

Hope you are all having a great, pain free day. @madinana you are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
@gr82cu2 Glad the doc will keep it to his self. Steve had to do the MRSA test with both knees.
Don't worry, you will get well and you will be able to start eating right again. That nasty word again (don't hate me)- patience!
 
@gr82cu2, your doctor sounds great in that he wanted to be an advocate for you, but I'm glad that he's going to keep it to himself. You reminded me that I have to get a flu shot. On my pre op visit my doctor mentioned it but wanted me to wait because it was in late August and he said that was a little too early.
Sorry about the weight gain. It's the pits that's for sure. It just doesn't seem fair how hard it is to lose and how easy to gain. But when this is all over you will get it off. I have been very fortunate because while I might eat something, I don't eat much and for some odd reason, I crave canned fruit, so I eat that when I'm hungry. I have lost weight since the surgery, but am scared to death when I'm off the pain meds I'll gain.
I hope you have a great day! Anne
 
@gr82cu2 I know how you feel its been 12 weeks now from my LTKR and I still have an achey knee and this is what I'm doing here now its 2 am in the morning is AUS and I'm up because the ache woke me up. I still get a bit tight and sore.

Im not sure if its swelling at this stage as my legs were not thin to start with due to my weight as well with limited excise before of due to the terrible arthritis that limits us to do a lot.

As i said before you are fantastic though in all the things you have done while recoverying I am lone lazy girl and wouldn't have done half as much as you so imagine once you are back on track what you can do.

I still can't go down stairs like i would like but i can go up but very tiring as i go up and down about 40 steps to get to my car once I get of the train coming home from work and gee that is a work out in itself.

I dont do any excise apart from getting up and going to work and coming home again 12 hour days will do that to you but still I should be doing more.

My right knee is giving me so much grief at the moment as well so that also is making it hard so I think that will have to be done soon.

Julie
 
@Yorkimom I almost wish the pain meds upset my stomach a little bit, LOL!! They do not and I don't even have to eat to take them. I must have an iron stomach. Of course, I've been off narcotics for awhile now except for a couple of times when I needed just a little extra relief. It's just because I've been eating junky foods like chips and crackers and stuff when I get a twinge of hunger and that's bad, bad, bad. Since I dieted last year my stomach has shrunk which is a very good thing. I can't eat as much as I used to but I find myself hungry 3 or 4 hours after a meal and that's when I eat the bad stuff. I was never a snacker in my life until now so I'm not sure what's up with that.

@jul Julie if you are able to go up and down 40 steps you've got me beat. I haven't tried that but I don't know if I could do it, yet. Maybe after my next knee. I've been down to my basement a couple of times. Going down wasn't too bad but coming up was rough on my unoperated knee. My knees have been my reason for not getting good exercise for years and the gig is about up! I won't be able to use that excuse much longer, LOL!! I don't think I'll mind though as long as I can do things pain free like walking, cycling or using our Nordic Trak. I used to do 3-4 miles a day on our Nordic Trak but haven't been able to for years now. With every stride my left knee would pop real hard and hurt like heck. With you working 12 hour days you're doing enough, at least for now and until you get your next knee done. I can't imagine working 12 hours even if it's a sit down job. No way! So, I think you're doing fantastic. Don't be hard on yourself. I hope you got back to sleep :sleeep:
 
@gr82cu2 We were good and had salad for lunch. Our problem is snacking too. We need to get back to our walks, didn't walk while our friend was here. We'll start again today. You have a great day!
 
@gr82cu2 i know exactly how you feel. My right knee doesn't like you g up either I just take my time wait until l the people have gone up but going down my op knee just won't quite bend enough with out it hurting I can use one crutch to assist it but I don't want to rely on that.

That has been my excuse for a long time (I can't exorcise because of my knees) which is really though as I couldn't walk far at all the end now I still can't but it is better not the arthritic pain I had i. The tkr one but still in the right and worse now.

You painted that would be the last thing on my mind to do weekend come around at the moment and I just want to rest but hubby wants to do things. He works 5 min from home I have to travel about 45 min to and from work.

I didn't get back to sleep only really dozed on and of the up for work. Knees are a bit sore I think it's the stairs.

Hope you feel better soon and don't worry about your weight so much that will all come together in time. You look good in your photo.

Julie
 
@jul Yes, I painted and I paid for doing that. But, it really needed to be done. We're coming into winter here. Also, you have to remember (or maybe you didn't know) I don't work. So, if I over do a bit I can just kick back for a couple of days and heal back up. I'm finding now though that over doing isn't really setting me back any longer. It's more of an in the moment kind of thing. I'll get stiff, sore and ache but once I get off my leg, ice and elevate for a bit I'm ok again.

I just got back home from PT and a Walmart run. When I walked in to PT Michelle commented that I looked like I had some pep in my step :) I do feel good today and hardly hurt at all! It's still a little stiff but not so much painfully stiff. Whoohoo!!! Two more weeks and I get to start from zero again. Blah!! At least next time I'll know to be really, really, really patient for about 3 months, haha! I've noticed the past couple of times in PT that my non operated knee struggles more now than the operated one. Today I was on some machine (don't know that it's called) that strengthens your hamstring muscles and my right leg was shaking way more than my left leg. It didn't like it at all today as I could really feel that horrid bone on bone pain in my right knee. I've done that machine a bunch of times but Michelle added more weight to it starting last week. It's ok though cause I need to get that right leg as strong as possible before surgery again.

Hope you all are having a splendid day :)
 
Hi Janet @gr82cu2

Your surgery date is soon approaching and knowing what you know now "should" make the next recovery a bit easier. You said it - Patience, Patience and more Patience is the only way to get through recovery.

Healthy eating, we all know what we should do, but for me temptation is hard to resist.
Like @Jane B., I did The South Beach Diet in 2007 and lost 49 pounds, in 2012 I did the Dukan Diet and lost 30 pounds, now back on Weight Watchers and going to a weekly class since week 7 post - op and have lost 8 pounds ! Still need to lose another 20-25 pounds to goal.

The 30-40 pounds keep re-appearing and post TKR know that I need to eat more healthy and control my weight to help in walking and other activities.

Stairs- going up no problem, it's the going down that is the hard part for me. Think that I mentioned it before, there are 31 steps from the ground floor to the top floor of our house, so it's not from lack of practice. It's just the knee isn't flexible enough at 105 to go down without discomfort.

It's almost 11:00 pm here, so heading to bed. Been laid up the last two days with heavy cold and cough and feeling miserable. Don't think it's the flu, as had my flu vaccination about 10 days ago.

Take care and enjoy your next two weeks pre- surgery,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just talked to my sister awhile ago. I'm so happy she is coming for the weekend!! We haven't seen each other since the end of March. We only live 150 miles apart but somehow time gets away and weekends go by and it just doesn't happen. I saw her before we went to Europe in April. Then we were gone 6 weeks. And before I knew it I was getting my operation and I couldn't drive over there. So, she's coming here. She is a rural mail carrier and works 5 days one week and 6 days the next so she only has a real 2 day weekend ever other week. Then, of course, there are all the things working people can only get done on weekends so she doesn't make it over here more than once or twice a year. Anyway, I'm excited to see her. She is my best friend in the whole wide world and we have such a good time when we are together. It's funny we are so close now because when we were kids that wasn't the case. She is 3 years older than me and my brother is 5 years older and I was closer to my brother when we were kids. Totally the opposite now!!!!

@marmora I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Hopefully it will pass quickly. It can take a couple of weeks for your body to build immunity from the flu shot. Hopefully you only have a cold and not the flu. You've done great with weight loss. Years and years ago I lost 50# on weight watchers but slowly let it creep back on plus some more! I'll get it back off eventually.....I hope! It takes a lot of willpower and determination though. When I was doing the Dash Diet last year I had a buddy....an online friend....doing it with me and that helped tremendously. We would "talk" about what we were eating or not and what seemed to be working, or not. We shared recipes and tips. Kent didn't actually do the diet with me (although he needs to lose too!) but when I started it I told him I'm not preparing 2 different dinners every day so eat what I eat or you're on your own, LOL! He didn't mind and is not a picky eater at all. We actually found a lot of things that are now favorites and don't seem like "diet" food at all. It's just all the prep work I can't handle right now but I'll get back at it. I need to read the book again to refresh my memory on the program and how and why it works. I know I felt really good both physically and mentally....well, other than my knees!

You'll get better on the stairs. I think it was around 110 flexion where it got a LOT better for me. At 115 it is even better. I don't want to be selfish but I'm really, really, really hoping to get to 125 in the end. I think with that stairs will finally not be an issue at all. One stretching exercise Michelle showed me to do to help with flexion is to get on your knees on your bed (it's soft so it won't hurt your knee) and then lower your butt towards your feet as much as you can without feeling pain. Hold the stretch for a few seconds and repeat. It did seem to push me past the 115 threshold. You might give it a try :)
 
Oh! I almost forgot my 12 week scar picture.

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2, I'm so jealous!! Seriously though, your scar looks awesome. Like I said, I have a lovely keloid scar and still have the staple marks. Oh well, I don't wear clothes that show my scar so it's okay. Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I'll be checking in on you :)
 
@Jazzy4564 I was just over on your thread reading that you are still having pain. I'm so sorry! I hope you can get to the bottom of what it is. This recovery has been the most trying thing I have ever been through. So many ups and downs. Pain that moves from one place to another, good days and bad days. Sometimes it feels like your head is spinning and it gets so discouraging. Hopefully Jamie will have some idea of what is going on with you. I kind of had the feeling from your description of your 12 week follow up appointment that your concerns got brushed off. My OS did that at my 6 week appt. too and it made me kind of mad to be honest. I doubt there is anything we are telling them that they haven't heard hundreds of times before and to them it's just more of the same but to us, it's all new and scary. Maybe they are right and it will go away or stop happening or get better but gosh darnit we deserve better explanations for what we are feeling and why. I hope you get your answers and feel better soon! (((hugs)))
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom