TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2 LOL @madinana is the queen of the overdoers! She makes me yell at her all the time! She would probably not have any pain or swelling right now if she wasn't always overdoing it! Right Laurie? Have to keep an eye on that girl!
 
@tiredwife thanks for the pain chart. I guess I would say most of the time it is a 3 moderate. I most definitely never forget it and I have had to make many lifestyle changes. But, I am independent.

@jul I hate that you are feeling the same way but it is reassuring to know that it's not abnormal. I hope you feel better soon. I see you need your other knee done also.

@ConnieJOS My surgery twin! Annoying isn't it?

@madinana I know Jackie works hard at keeping you in line :)

@kneeper Just standing is more painful than walking to me. It causes more stiffness for sure. I'm also trying to ease my knee back to good health and have been good about following the mantras for the most part.
 
@gr82cu2 Hi Janet! Sorry your knee is so stiff. I know you don't want to hear this, but you are still early in your recovery. I was trying to remember about the stiffness in my knee as I do remember it went on for a long time. I went back to some of my earlier posts in my recovery and there is one where I'm saying that my knee is still so stiff, and it was around 8 weeks. Back then was when I also started getting shooting pain below my knee. I had forgotten about that. In reading your post I could have written it. My knee was always swollen before surgery and swollen for a long time afterwards. Sometimes I would feel as though my incision would come apart when I would bend my knee because it was so tight. I remember I would start doing a few things and couldn't wait to get home to ice and elevate. I did that for a few months. Honestly it took me months and months for the tight band feeling to go away. Then eventually it went away, slowly but surely. Back then I would question whether it was worth going through the surgery, but now I can say most definitely yes.
I know that you have another surgery coming soon and it can be daunting but you will get through this and you will get your life back. Sending hugs. Anne
 
@Yorkimom Anne, thanks for the reassurance. You're so kind to take the time to go back to your recovery thread and see how you were doing in the first weeks. Your next surgery is coming up quickly now. Are you ready? I hope it all goes well for you.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, you are doing better I believe than I was at the stage you are in. I still have stiffness, tightness, pain, but not all the time. It's hard to swallow, but we must be patient! You are not posting any feelings that are so out of line with the rest, in my humble opinion.

The doc who took care of me at the rehab center said something very profound to me the other day. He said "Don't ask yourself how you feel compared to yesterday, ask yourself how you feel compared to this time a month ago." That really hit home for me.

@tiredwife Could I talk you into posting that pain scale on my thread? It's great!

Mary
 
@gr82cu2 Thanks Janet! Yes, I'm pretty much ready. I go on Thursday for my final pre op appointment and also have a hair appointment for a cut and color. This weekend I'm going to try to put away my summer clothes and bring out my winter clothes. I know it's early but I know I won't be able to lug the clothes upstairs for a long time after my surgery. This way they will be there when I need them.
Joe and I leave early Monday morning for a three golf trip with our Twilight golf group. We are going to a winery/ golf club in New Jersey. Three days in a row of 18 holes of golf will probably do a number on my knee and back but I'm looking forward to it. Luckily my OS said I can use Extra Strength Tylenol and the muscle relaxers for my back. We get back on Wednesday night and I have surgery at 11:30 on Friday morning. I just can't believe how fast it is approaching. Anne
 
@Yorkimom your weekend away will do you good and help keep your mind off the upcoming surgery. I don't golf, never did but I like the winery part! :cheers2: You need to get out there and have some fun before the long fall/winter recovery. The holidays will be here before we know it. I've finally passed the holiday dinner torch on to our sons & wives. They both built brand new homes this year and have plenty of room for everyone. I can't tell you how happy I am about that, LOL!!!
 
Everyone, I just got back home from PT with Michelle. I asked her on average how long I can expect to still have this stiffness. She said up to a year. Not what I wanted to hear but it is the truth I guess, as we all know. She said maybe at about 6 months it will be a lot better as the swelling continues to abate but maybe a year before it feels "normal" again. Blah! My hamstring tendon was really bothering me today so she worked that over with her tools. She said it's probably bothering me because I was on my feet a lot yesterday. I sure wish I could find the balance between being a sloth and doing too much. She warned me Friday will be a big strengthening day at PT. No measurement today. I think she has settled in to measuring me on Fridays only. Hope you all are having a wonderful day!
 
@wolf woman I know what you are saying. A couple weeks ago when I was 4 weeks post op I reminded myself of how far I had come in just those 4 weeks. It was a wakeup call. Maybe I need to set the alarm clock again and remind myself, LOL!!
 
@gr82cu2 I'm sure the stiffness will lessen with each passing week. By week 14 with knee #1 hubby says it gets stiff once in a while in the mornings. He feels like it is a normal knee most of the time.
 
@gr82cu2 Good Morning Janet! Hope the stiffness is easing up some? Maybe you can get hubby to rub the stiff areas. I rub hubby's thigh and the back of his knee every night and that seems to help. Usually I can feel a knot in the areas he says are giving him problems and I concentrate rubbing there. Have a great day!
 
Hi Jackie @tiredwife. Today is another not good day. I was reduced to tears at one point this morning. By the time I got my shower and got dressed it was hurting so bad. I just feel so discouraged at this point. If it wouldn't swell up every time I stand on it I think I could deal with it but that swelling just causes so much pain and stiffness. So I sit here and feel myself getting weaker and weaker. Just not happy at all today :( sorry!
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, I really wish you would see your OS, and if you don't get any relief get a second opinion. I don't think what you are going through is normal. Yes it is normal to have some pain, but each week it should be getting less and less, and you should be able to do a little more each week. I wish there is something I can do to help!
 
@tiredwife I see him next Monday. It was supposed to be today but they called to reschedule because he decided to take the day off or something. Who knows? I agree, it should be getting better but these past few days have felt anything but. I did manage to get dinner on the table without too much discomfort but I was here on the couch all day except for showering and dressing this morning. I've iced and elevated and used my NMES on the pain setting for a couple of hours. It seems to have helped. Honestly, standing is the worst of all for me. When I shower in the mornings that seems to set the tone for much of the day. Standing in the shower and then standing while I dry my hair. I have to blow dry my hair or it is a hot mess, LOL. Our weather has been really unsettled so that has probably played a part too. Even my toes are hurting today! Stupid arthritis!
 
@gr82cu2 Glad you are seeing your Doc. soon! Make sure you tell him about your problems. Make sure he x rays you again. Weather does make arthritis worse, hot muggy always makes my hands and fingers swell. Wet cold makes the rest of me ache. Hope you have a better day tomorrow!
 
@gr82cu2 I am sorry that you are having a difficult time right now. I have Rheumatoid and osteoarthritis and there are lots of triggers for me with the RA. Weather, stress, lack of sleep, etc. Hopefully things turn around soon. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.
 
thanks @Minnie's knees Unfortunately it isn't really feeling any better this morning. It's unfortunate I turned allergic to the Celebrex. I think it may have been more of a benefit that I realized. It makes me really nervous to go through this again without it, especially in the beginning.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom