TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

I don't know @Yorkimom They have some sort of pride in stating their patients require 2/3 less pain meds. 2/3 less than what, I don't know? They made a big deal about prescribing Lyrica and Celebrex and I assumed that was the reason less narcotics were needed/prescribed. The thing is, there was a big commotion over the Celebrex Rx, which I eventually did get, while I was still in the hospital and they never did Rx the Lyrica. The reason remains unknown to me. It was just a little unbelievable to me today when I called and the nurse called back saying doc didn't think I needed anything stronger at this point. How would he know? He hasn't even seen me yet. My 2 week follow up was with his PA. At least they did finally agree to give me about 2 weeks of hydrocodone but somehow they never sent it to the pharmacy, I guess. Now I will have to call again tomorrow. In the meantime, for the 3rd day, all I have is Tramadol. When I am just resting it's fine but when I try to do more it gets to be a painful problem. I need to be up and moving around more. Just sitting here with my muscles wasting away is not a good plan, IMO. I do my exercises but even with that it's not like moving, ya know? Oh well, hopefully things will get sorted out tomorrow, before the weekend. Sweet dreams!!
 
Hope the pain meds are sorted in the morning. My OS nurse had me go cold turkey, I ended up in the ER with through the roof blood pressure, from the pain. OS apologized at my visit. I am now seeing my back Dr. who is a pain specialist and have good pain management with him. I went to my primary, she gave me enough meds and made the pain management referral for me.
Call your primary and have them take over pain control.
Good luck tomorrow!


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
thanks @Pumpkln It's sorted now! I have to go pick them up. Doctors make no sense to me, I swear.

Yesterday
Doctor: I don't think you should still be needing pain meds other than Tylenol or Celebrex
Me: :hairpulling:
Today
Doctor: Here, have 70 Hydrocodone.
Me: :what:

If it wasn't so frustrating it might be funny. Anyway, I'm sure this is all he will let me have from here on out. If I can manage with taking 3 a day it will last me another 3 weeks. I have plenty of Tramadol to supplement it with. That will put me almost 8 weeks post op. Surely it will be better by then :beg:
 
Happy to hear you have this sorted out, with the holiday weekend, it would have been a long 3 days for you.
I have gotten the same go around, only from different doctors. :shrug:
Maybe he did not want you bothering him over the holdiay :whistle:.
Have a good weekend.
 
I'm glad it's finally resolved! What strength did he give you? Mine are 10/325. Sometimes they do 500 on the Tylenol part then want to limit it more because the Tylenol is hard on your liver. It concerns me that I've been taking it daily for over four weeks and I usually have 6 or 7 a day! But I only take it when I hurt, and that's most of the time. I do feel that the pain is easing up some though and I will slack off accordingly. I hope this gets you where you need to be!
 
@ConnieJOS they are 5/325 I was actually feeling better this morning pain wise until I showered and was up on it 30 minutes or so. Then, like usual, everything started tightening up and aching. And I had taken some Tramadol a couple hours before. I'm sitting here now with my ice wrap, just chilling. Gonna take it easy until PT at 2:30 and then I'll go pick up my prescriptions.
 
Pretty decent day at PT. I did the bike for 8 minutes as usual. I talked to and showed Michelle how hard my lower leg is and how it's like the skin is stuck, even below, well below my knee. She agreed it was strange. She got out the tools and worked it all over real good with coco butter and worked on my scar some and showed me how to do it so my scar will flatten out and loose the lumpiness. In the end I was able to flex, with a little push from Michelle, to 110. On Tuesday she said she would probably have a new home routine for me to bring home today but she didn't say anything about it so I guess not. I left there and went to CVS to get my prescriptions. Home now and icing :) Ahhhhhh!!!
 
@gr82cu2 Glad PT went good! Hope the working over she gave you helps loosen everything up for you. We need to start a thread about odd stuff that happens to people after TKR, seems like most everyone has at least one odd thing that happens to them that doesn't happen to many others. You have a great day!
 
Hi Janet,
@gr82cu2

Been reading your posts on your thread and yes beside the pain, it's the loss of independence and not being able to or having the energy to do what we would like.

Re-having one TKR and knowing that you have another TKR waiting for you is a lot to have on your mind.

You have been through so much this. year, tests, doctor appointments, surgery, etc.
It does get tiring and zaps all of our energy.

May you have more good days than not so good days, it is a long road, and we on BoneSmart our here to travel it with you.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gr82cu2 My os gave me a hard time for just getting tramadol for the third time at first was taking them like I was suppose to.. I only use now when having a real bad pain day!!! I wish my husband would cook as he a good cook but lucky me had to start cooking after two week when my daughter in law left. I am wondering what he is going to do for second rtkr I told him my second one might not go as easy as the first We will see Have a nice holiday week hope all goes well!!!
 
Hi Cathie @marmora I have had two great days and think I finally on the end of swelling. I hope all is well with you and if Ireland celebrate have a great memorial day week end
 
I found out that when my husband walked into a cold, dark empty kitchen that he began to cook more!!! I have not started cooking again--he does everything!!
 
@gr82cu2
Hi Janet,

Must be the time difference, after my last post you you. @10:19 pm Dublin time, then your posts along with @ConnieJOS & @tiredwife & @Pumpkln & @madinana appeared. Theses were all on the topic of pain medication.

I saw my OS on Tuesday and at that appointment I asked about additional or renewing my pain meds.
I had last taken Tylex 2 tablets 3 times/day on the previous Thursday and was now only taking over the counter Paracetamol 2 tablets four times per day & maximum of 8 per day.

The Paracetamol doesn't take the edge off the TKR pain and my OS felt that at 6 weeks post- op that should be all that was needed for pain relief.

He said stick with the paracetamol and ring him on Friday, if I felt needed something else.

Rang his office today to find that he was away for the day & his secretary suggested that as it was Friday & he wouldn't be back in the office until Monday to contact my GP/PCP.
The OS secretary said she would put my chart on his desk for review when he is back on Monday.

Luckily, my GP's office is at the end of my road and was able to see him between his other patients.

He gave me a 7 day script for Tylex (30mg codeine / 500mg paracetamol.
The pharmacy is next door to the doctor, so filled the prescription and two 2 Tylex about 6pm and by the time we had finished dinner at 6:45, lay down on the couch and napped for about an hour.

For the first time in days, the addition of the codeine hit the pain. Will take 2 more Tylex when going to bed.

Really, it should be a requirement that all OS have a TKR so that they understand the pain and learn to listen to their patients when we ask & need additional pain medication and not have to fight for it or be
made to feel guilty that we can't handle the pain.

Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@marmora Cathie I agree with you they should see what its is like. I pray that you get the pain under control and thank goodness for GP I feel bad for you and it is so frustrating that they think we are drug addicts. Why does it have to be a struggle Why do you have to be feel guilty. i don't have a high tolerance of pain either. My thoughts and prayers are with you!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom