Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2 I hope you are having a better day. Reading your post quickly brought memories if my first TKR. I feel as though I really did well in my recovery and when I was four weeks out like you I still wasn't doing much. I had mine on December 3rd and we went out to dinner for New Year's Eve. We stayed long enough for drinks and dinner and I remember being anxious to get home so I could elevate and ice. My leg felt like it was going to burst. You have been through a lot this year. Be kind to yourself. Do you think the doctor would give you more meds if you called. I was on my meds for over two months. I remember worrying a out taking them and my PT told me that I nether them if I had pain and would know when to stop. Of course I tapered down! but if I found it wasn't enough, I would go back and decrease slowly. Hang in there! Anne:froggies:
 
Wow bonesmart, not alerting me to new posts on my own thread is a pretty low blow :rofsign:

Well, I made the trip to Walmart today with Kent. I rode in a martcart. That's what our boys (both Walmart store managers call them). Towards the end it was beeping to alert me the battery was about dead but we made it anyway. It first started when we were at the back of the store and I was sweating bullets, dreading the walk to the front of the store to get another one! That store is huge! I drove us there and back. Kent loaded everything in the car and put everything away when we got home. Not a bad deal for me because I hate putting groceries away, haha!

@Yorkimom I'll find out tomorrow if he will Rx more meds. I'm going to call and ask. I think, at this point, he will. The paperwork they gave me pretty much said after 8 weeks they will not but I'm not even 5 weeks yet. I have Tramadol but need something a little stronger. Problem is Vicodin keeps me awake so I don't know if they would give me Percocet or Oxycodone again, or not. Tylenol with codeine upsets my stomach so I'm not sure what else they could try.

I feel like overall I'm doing well. It's just getting boring.....all this sitting, doing nothing and watching TV and then when I try to be up on it more it reminds me why I'm down for the most part, LOL. Ugh!
 
@gr82cu2 I HATE grocery shopping! The whole time I am there I keep thinking, ugh got to carry these into the house and have to put them up! I would rather go to the garden section of Lowes! Glad your cart didn't die on you!
 
My scar today at 4 weeks and one day post op.
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
My doctor must be very generous with pain meds. With all three surgeries he gave me a prescription for 60 10/325 hydrocodone with three refills. I didn't take much at all with the hip surgeries. I've had much more with the knee, but I still have refills available.
 
@ConnieJOS hydrocodone (Norco) is a step down from Percocet and doesn't fall under the tighter regulations. Percocet you are not allowed refills. You have to have a new script each time, and it can't be a call in script either, it has to be a paper one. Luckily we just call his doc on the base (retired military) and he puts it into the base pharmacy for hubby. It is a pain in the butt, but Norco doesn't help him.
 
Yes, hydrocodone is a Schedule III narcotic and oxycodone is Schedule II. That's about to change though. I saw in the news that they are changing hydrocodone to Schedule II in October. I didn't know that meant they couldn't do refills though. What a pain. Do they really think these controls are going to keep these pills off the streets? I don't think the criminals selling them care about the laws. They will still find a way to get them. It just makes it harder for the people who really need them to get them.
 
So, I called this morning about more meds. Blah! What a pain in the ..... I told the nurse I talked to that I had been taking oxycodone but didn't feel I needed something that strong now but I do have plenty of Tramadol but by itself it isn't doing a very good job. I told her I can take hydrocodone during the day but not in the evening or at night because it keeps me awake. Ok, she calls me back after she talks to the doc and says he called in more Celebrex and Tramadol!! Urgh! I have Tramadol, don't you people listen??? I explained again about the hydrocodone. She called back and said ok, he's calling in enough to get you by until your next appt. on 9/11. Also gave instructions to not take more than 8 total pills a day of the combined medicines because of the tylenol it it. Fine! Later on I get a text from CVS that a prescription is ready to pick up but I don't trust any of this so I call. Sure enough they don't know anything about the hydrocodone Rx but have the Tramadol & Celebrex ready.....WHICH I DON'T NEED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! I guess I'll wait till later or tomorrow in case the doctor got backed up and didn't have time to send it in yet.

@ConnieJOS You are right! All these restrictions are not going to keep these drugs off the street. They are only keeping people who really need them from getting them in a timely (and non frustrating) manner. I really pity people who have chronic debilitating pain. The hoops they have to jump through to get their meds must be horrible. Who is writing all the prescriptions for pain meds that end up on the black market anyway? My old boss' girlfriend got herself hooked on Vicodin and was taking 30 a day! Wow!!! It's a miracle she didn't kill herself. Last I knew she had gone through rehab and was ok.
 
That is ridiculous! It shouldn't be that difficult to get what you need. Isn't it strange how meds affect people different ways? I like taking hydrocodone at night, but in the daytime it makes it hard for me to stay awake! It zonks me right out. In the hospital they gave me two every four hours and I continued that for a while after I got home. That's 12 pills a day! Now I take one every four to six hours during the day and two at bedtime and two more if I wake up hurting when the bedtime dose wears off. I guess they don't care if I kill my liver with Tylenol. Lol.
 
When the nurse called back the first time she said doc said I shouldn't need anything more than Tramadol by now. Well la di da!! Everyone is different. Everyone experiences different pain levels and everyone reacts differently to different pain meds. I'm not upset with him. I know he just doesn't want his patients to get into "trouble" but jeez! When I came home from the hospital they gave me an Rx for 90 Oxycodone to be taken 1 or 2 every 6 hours. If I had taken 2 every six hours I would have been out in a little over 11 days. Today is 28 days since I got out of the hospital so it should be clear I am not abusing them. After about the 3rd day I only ever took one at a time, including during the night so that was 4 a day. Then I stopped setting an alarm for the night and have only been taking 3 a day supplementing with Tramadol as needed but I've never taken more than 3 of those a day either. Oh well, hopefully it will get sorted tomorrow and not go on through the weekend. If I don't hear something by noon tomorrow I will call them again.
 
I was just emailing my father-in-law, the greatest man who ever lived with the exception of my own father, of course. Anyway, he had emailed us about Kent's mom who is receiving chemo for a blood disorder she has and is doing well. He asked how I'm getting along which caused me to think back over the past 4 weeks since I got out of the hospital. 4 weeks ago I was discharged and it was exhausting and very painful getting in the car and riding home. The effort to get out of the car, into the house and make my way to the sofa to lie down was torture almost. Today 4 weeks later, I can get up and down unassisted and walk safely (and at a pretty good pace!) with no aids whatsoever. It's funny how you don't necessarily notice the little differences day to day but when you look back like that, over 4 weeks, you realize just how far you really have come.

This may have a side benefit I never predicted too! I think Kent is getting into this whole cooking thing! A lot of what he's done has just been baking or reheating things I had frozen for us while I recover but he has also made a few things on his own. Nothing too complicated but what he has done has been very good. I know you all are not going to believe this but he has never cooked on the grill. That's usually the man's domain but not his. Tonight he got all brave and stuff and grilled us burgers and they were fantastic! Cooked just right, not too rare, not too well done. He's getting really good at making mashed potatoes and his breakfasts of bacon and eggs are to die for. He has a way with eggs, I'll give him that :rofsign: I don't know why some people think they can't cook. If you can read and follow instructions (a recipe) you can cook. Anyway, I'm hoping he will still want to cook now and then when this is over. It would be a welcome break for me after 37 years.
 
@gr82cu2 I got to brag that my hubby is a great cook, always trying new recipes (some good, some not so good). Glad your hubby is learning, he might decide he likes it. Hope he isn't as messy a cook as my hubby is!
 
@tiredwife You are so lucky! I did teach both our boys to cook and they are both good cooks. The younger one does ALL the cooking at their house. The older one shares cooking duties with his wife or they cook together. Their wives are very thankful that I taught them to cook.
 
Hi @gr82cu2 I don't know why your doctor has to give you such a hard time with your meds. Like you said, they should have to have had a TKR and then they would sing a different tune! I'm really hoping that my doctor hasn't changed from the last time. Whenever I needed more meds, they would write up a new script (no refills) and Joe, my hubby, would go the office to pick it up.
The one thing that Joe enjoyed during my recovery was grocery shopping. He never did it before and found that he liked it. The only downfall to this was when I was doing well enough to go with him he would tell me I didn't need this or that and that I buy too much stuff and then it goes bad. I should only buy what I need and then go again when I need more. We'll see what happens this time.
I hope you have a god night. Anne
 
Back
Top Bottom