TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

It does not work well on my iPad either.
Just qoute the full message, and delete the parts you do not want.
 
good morning @gr82cu2 I was checking in to see how you are doing I have my other knee done Oct 20 and see you are in Nov. #We sure have come a long way. I wondered is your physical therapy doing strengthing exercise on your bad leg, Mine is giving me a hard time because I don't go down steps the adult way, I can do it just really have to fight my brain to make the step down, it like it says no no no, He does not measure ROM anymore. I get frustrated people say oh you look fine, May look fine but just going down slight elevation from a hill I pulled my hamstring on my bad leg. I thought thanks for the help. Well did not mean to whine there I just wondered about the exercising. I feel a little whiney this morning but did not sleep well Thank goodness for Bonesmart or I would probably go off the deep end, I know one day at a time, it all takes time and soon we will both be tackling number 2 Are we crazy :rotfl: too go so soon, I do know why we both wanted them before end of the year. Thanks for listening Sorry :tada:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@madinana You will have to concur the stairs before knee 2. Because knee 1 will have to be the strong one. Don't know how people with BTKR does it! practice when hammy
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
quits acting up!
 
@madinana No strength training for me, yet. Honestly, I don't feel I've lost strength in my legs although I probably have from being so sedentary. At PT we work on loosening things up and then flexing. It's really nothing I don't do or couldn't do at home except the time on the recumbent bike. I enjoy my time with my therapist though. She's a sweetie :) The only stairs in my home are 2 from the garage into the kitchen and yes, I'm still going down sideways but I think that's more because I had to do that before my TKR so it's habit. I go up one step at a time, good leg first but could probably at this point do it normally. Again, habit of going one at a time from before TKR.

For the most part I walk normally. I don't think most people would realize I had a TKR from observing my gait. My PT says I'm "smoothe", LOL. Cool! I think that's probably due more to my good extension which I've had from the beginning.

Oops! You asked about strength training on my BAD leg! Again no, but I have the NMES (neuro muscular electronic stimulator) that I used pre-op to strengthen my quad and will do it for my "bad" leg before the next op. My PT thinks that probably helped me a lot. I use it now when I do my home PT exercises and also I use the setting it has to reduce swelling and sometimes another setting for pain relief.

You and Connie and myself will have to stick together awhile longer, I guess :)
 
Hope you are having a better day today!

Good morning Jackie! So far, a little better today. For whatever reason I was a little weepy yesterday and maybe throwing myself a bit of a pity party. It just gets to be a bit much after awhile, ya know? We all just want to be back to normal, whatever that is. I kind of forget, to be honest.

I'll tell you one thing I'm very grateful for and that is being able to sleep well. I seem to be the exception around here.

Today is 4 weeks since my surgery. Hard to believe! On the one hand it seems so recent and on the other it seems so long ago.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet hubby is so tired of being home! We went to pick up his meds and went to the base commissary to pick up a few groceries. He didn't make the whole store (it's a small store) before he went and sat down. It is frustrating for him because he could do more sooner with the first knee. TKR really has such a slow recovery, it is hard. Hang in there, it will get better. Just think how you were 2 weeks ago and realize the improvements. It will happen, baby steps.
 
@gr82cu2 hang in there. I'm 6 weeks today and I feel I have turned another corner in recovery. About 4 weeks is when I started feeling really sorry for myself. But made it through it and now I'm sleeping better, turning over from side to side and not waking up. Off all meds except Tylenol/Iburphorin(sp). My ROM is good and after PT messaged the heck out of knee and quads I think everything is finally loosening up and doesn't take me so long to get the stiffness out. I think you will be surprised how you feel after another couple of weeks.
 
@jsm This is great news! I'm also at four weeks today. I'm doing better than is expected, but have still felt discouraged the last few days. I'm tired of the stiffness and pain! Really looking forward to better days so your post is very encouraging.
 
@jsm Thanks! I've read from others how 6 weeks seems to be a turning point. I sure hope so. I'm really hoping for 4-6 weeks of somewhat normalcy before I go through this again. I think what makes this even harder is just sitting here with my leg up I feel 99% normal and perfect and think I should get up and do this or that. Then I try and nope! Right back down I go. I don't want to force things and set myself back or heaven forbid cause damage but I'm just frustrated by not being able to do more by now. I just need more patience is all. I'm really happy for you that you've turned a corner in recovery. Stop by anytime :)
 
Today has turned out to be a pretty good day. I've been up more and have done 2 loads of laundry, made chicken salad for lunch and also went to PT. I even drove! Kent wouldn't let me go alone, just in case, but I was fine, really. Maybe Friday he will let me go on my own :) Just like a big girl, LOL!!

Michelle worked me a little harder at PT today because I told her I was feeling pretty good. She put me on the recumbent bike for 8 minutes like usual but put it on a "random" program which would occasionally add some resistance in varying degrees. She had me workout more on the stairs. By the time I was done my leg felt tired but ok and not painful. I'm not sure why but she didn't measure me today. Maybe she's worried that my only gaining a degree or two at a time will get discouraging, and it does. She said probably on Friday when I come in she will have a new routine for me to do at home.

All in all, not a bad day! I think tomorrow I'll try to tackle some grocery shopping with Kent's help. I can ride around in one of those motorized cart things if I need to. In the past month Kent has only been to the grocery store a couple of times and the cupboards are getting mighty low on supplies.
 
@gr82cu2 So very glad you had a good day!!! Wow, driving yourself is a big leap forward! Outpatient PT only measured hubby every 5th day.
 
Glad you had a good day! Melvin had a doctor appt same time as my PT last Monday, so I drove myself and it was fine. I've driven each time since, but it's just a few miles away, maybe a 10 minute drive at the most. Your left leg doesn't do much for driving anyway. I know I will have to wait longer when I get the right one done.
 
I feel/felt like I could have driven after the 2nd week but he wouldn't let me. I've got to regain a little independence here because like @ConnieJOS says with the right one it will probably take longer.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet I think hubby was driving at 4 weeks with the first one, but I would have to check. I rode with him except for once or twice when I had the grandson. He waited until he was pretty much off the narcotics. It gave him a feeling of not being so dependent.
 
I also was driving at about 5 weeks after I had gotten off the narcotics. It sounds like you are doing great. It definitely will get better.
 
Back
Top Bottom