TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Hi @Foxsea It's wonderful of you to stop by. I'm glad you came out unscathed from the earthquake. I can't imagine the helpless feeling that must produce. We've had little ones here in Indiana but I've never felt it. We do carry earthquake coverage because it is so cheap here. They say one day we'll get a big one. We'll see, I guess.

So sad about the blood clot but it's a good thing you were proactive about complaining about your swelling and they got it checked out. Thankfully it was caught before it broke loose.

I watched several of the knee replacement videos on youtube before my surgery. It didn't make me any more or less scared, I don't think. It did give me a greater understanding of the trauma we and our knees go through. Without that I'd probably be sitting here now wondering why my knee won't listen to my brain and bend more!

Take care Foxsea and feel free to stop by anytime :)
 
@Foxsea Glad they found the clot early!

@gr82cu2 Stopped in to say hi, and found once again I wasn't getting my alerts on your thread. Oh well, hope you are having a drier day! It is hot and muggy here, ugh, hate it. Hope you are doing good, and not overdoing!
 
I wasn't getting my alerts on your thread.

You haven't missed much. It was very quiet around here this weekend. I was just telling Connie on her thread about coloring my hair this morning and how much it hurt to be up on my leg that long. It's getting frustrating. I don't expect to be pain free at this stage but I do wish I could do things without feeling like my leg is going to explode. I feel the pressure building and it just aches in the bones and gets even more stiff and less flexible. I only have a couple more days of good pain meds left. I have quite a bit of Tramadol but I just don't feel like it does much to be honest. I've been alternating it with my oxycodone, trying to make the oxy last longer. They gave me 90 in the beginning. I've never taken 2 at one time since I've been out of the hospital. I only take 3 a day. I don't know if they will let me have more or not. Hydrocodone would probably do the job during the day but it keeps me awake at night. Anyway, I just feel like by now I should be able to be up on it more and taking short walks. Maybe I just need to grin and bear it and force myself through doing more.
 
@gr82cu2 And you are about to the depression stage! It does get very frustrating, especially if others around your same surgery date may be doing more or feeling better. Hang in there and remember every knee heals at its own pace! You aren't that much further along than hubby is with his second knee. You are still very early in stages of this recovery. Be kind to yourself, listen to your knee! Hubby is complaining about the stiffness, his 1st knee still gets some stiffness but not as often and not as severe. It takes time for the stiffness to go away. Hang in there and ice and elevate often.
 
Not really depressed. I've been there and done that in the past and this is not like that. I guess I'm just growing weary of all of this. I've been down and out more than up since a year ago March. I went through 6 months of severe pain and agony with degenerative disc disease in my neck starting March, 2013. You know how it is......you see your doctor and he tries something. Doesn't work. Go back. Try something else. Go back, get an appointment with a specialist that takes weeks to get in to see. Then more tests......more time...treatment that doesn't quite do the job so have to do it again and then again a 3rd time. Blah, blah, blah! Six months later in late September I start to feel better and get 8 days of normalcy until I tore (or eventually wore through, who knows?) the meniscus in my right knee. It blew up with swelling and bloody fluid that had to be drained several times and was far more painful than this TKR has ever been. Again, weeks of doctors appointments, tests, specialists, etc. and 3 days after I got that feeling better the left knee did the same. Now I'm rehabbing this TKR knee all the while knowing the other one is only a little over 2 months away. I could wait on the other one but honestly, I just want this all over with! Kent's been a sweetheart through all of it but I can see he is tiring of it too. He wants his wife back and I want my life back. So yeah, I'm feeling a little more sad these days but not depressed. If I iced or elevated anymore than I have I would have to have a catheter! The ice wrap they gave me in the hospital stays cold for about 2 hours. I do that, including an ice pack behind my knee, several times a day. Like 2 hours on, 1 hour off all through the day. My only activity has been showering, using the restroom and doing my home PT which isn't really very strenuous at all and then out patient PT twice a week. I really couldn't do less, I don't think, LOL. Kent has hinted that I should push it more but he doesn't understand, I don't think, that if I do that the swelling will increase as well as the inflammation and it will only hurt things in the long run. I'm moving it around plenty so that it doesn't freeze up on me or anything. My ROM is increasing, although slower than I would hope for but still well on track for being 4 weeks out tomorrow. I think it's just the accumulation of everything I've been through over the past almost year and a half now. Oh! And in that time I was in a big bout of colitis for 6 months before finding out that's what it was. More doctor appointments, specialists, tests and that all takes a lot of time. Blah! I'll be ok. I have to be.
 
@gr82cu2 I know how frustrating it can all be, hubby has had 8 surgeries in the last 8 years. Both shoulders cleaned out, both knees cleaned out, umbilical hernia surgery, Achilles tendon calcification surgery, and now both knee replacements. That on top of years of joint pain in every joint from OA. He gets so very tired of it all! His job just adds to the pain. I have a bad shoulders but I can rest them if need be, but he works and doesn't have that luxury. My biggest problems right now are allergies and asthma. Hang in there it will get better, hubby's 1st knee is almost 13 weeks post and is doing so much better than before the surgery! He is so glad he got it done, you will get to that point too.
 
@gr82cu2 I know just how you feel. Each day seems to blend in the next, and it's hard to keep doing the same thing day in/day out feeling like there haven't been huge gains. Hang in there - you (and all of us!) will get there soon!!!
 
@ljrfrm I know, right? I'm not sure how much more HGTV I can watch either, LOL. At this point I'd be happy to clean the house or go to the grocery store. That's how bad and boring this is getting :rotfl:
Yeah, I've reached my Love It, or List It quota for the year I think. Bring me on some House Hunters International though, so I can dream I'm off in the Caribbean somewhere.
 
@ljrfrm Oh heavens, I've watched them all. There is also a series called Caribbean Life you might enjoy. They did an episode in St. Croix and I was shocked at what they got for $165K. Also, House Hunters Renovation and House Hunters Where are they Now? I can't stand the hosts on Love it or List it so I rarely watch that one. Flip the Block has been fun.
 
@gr82cu2 I've seen some of the Caribbean Life shows - and I told my hubby that we are so there!!! I also can't stand the hosts on Love It or List It. Flip the Block is fun!!

Today was the day that I was supposed to report back to work at my schools........and here I am sleeping until 10 am and watching HGTV. I can't decide if I need a life or not!
 
I understand the weary feeling you describe Janet. I've been feeling it too. I've had three joint replacements in five months. None of it has been unbearable, but the drudgery of dealing with it day after day really wears on you! I too have felt that it may be wearing on my husband, but he's been great about it. He's 63 and just bought a Harley though. So his need to get out of the house may have contributed to that. But he goes out and rides for about an hour and comes back happy, so I guess that works.
 
None of it has been unbearable, but the drudgery of dealing with it day after day really wears on you! I too have felt that it may be wearing on my husband,
I feel this way, my husband is 8 years older than me and hale and hardy. And here I am since 2000 with limited activity. He skiis for relaxation, and I encourage it. New skiis every year, and new boots this year. If we do not have snow he will travel.
We all just need someone to come and wave a magic wand and sprinkle fairy dust over us and we'll be all better
When you find this magic wand let us know. :tada:
 
Same here @Pumpkln My husband is 6 years older than me and in way better shape physically. I do think that he believes my aches and pains now though. For years he dismissed it when I would say something because I was younger and couldn't possibly feel worse than he did :no-fin:. It was frustrating for me being that I had been diagnosed with not only OA but also psoriatic arthritis. I've never been one to drag him to doctor appointments with me but I did with this knee, finally. I felt like he needed to hear it from the doctor that I needed this surgery and he did.
 
@pumpkin How do you copy those little parts of a message to quote? I see the "quote this message" button, but it quotes the whole thing.
 
@ConnieJOS
Highlight the part you want to qoute, and a little qoute button appears. Click it and you will see under your new post another Get Qoutes button. Click it when you want to put your qoute in the message.
The highlighting may disappear in the message you are qouting, click on the Qoutes button anyway, it works.
Hope that helps,
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom