TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Hi @marmora tiredwife is Jackie :)

It sounds like you had a lovely day with lunch and shopping with your friend. And hubby let you nap while he prepared dinner. What a guy! Kent isn't a cook at all so for several weeks before my surgery I would cook extra and freeze for these first few weeks of recovery. We're starting to run low so I may have to force myself back to the kitchen before I want to. I did make chicken salad for lunch today which we enjoyed. I'm so tired of ham sandwiches or leftovers for lunch. Needed something different. This rainy afternoon allowed me a nap for about an hour. There is a nice breeze blowing in the window beside me. This weather is so unusual for this time of year here. Usually August is so hot you can barely breathe outside between the heat and the humidity. We aren't complaining!

Does your son get home tomorrow Cathie?
 
@g82cu2
Hi Janet,
Des is good in the kitchen, nothing fancy, just good old fashion home cooking.
But, love that he does it and just gets on with it.

When the 3 boys were living at home, I would devise a Monday to Friday dinner menu plan on Sunday evening & get all the major items in and then put the weekly menu on the fridge with a magnet.

So, who ever came home first( me or Des or any of the 3 boys) and saw that Monday was 'Chicken Curry' Would know to chop the chicken, get the vegetables ready, prepare the curry sauce, get the accompaniments of chutney, raisins & coconut into small bowels, and set the table.

It usually worked out that soon after the first person came in between 5:30/6:00 the next person or persons would also arrive in and together we'd all get the dinner ready.

Happy then to send my 3 sons out into the world knowing how to cook and help prepare a nightly dinner meal- their girlfriends have thanked me for this life lesson.

All 3 boys did a basic "boys only" cookery course when they were about 12 as part of a summer programme and if pushed could even bake a apple pie,homemade pizza dough and lasagna
from scratch.

Heading now to do set of my PT exercises before I get too relaxed.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@g82cu2
NYC flues out of JFK on Sunday @ 9:00 pm local time and arrives in Dublin on Monday at 8:30 am local time!
:wowspring::welome: :wowspring:
 
Hi Cathie - great to see that your kids cook so well. It is funny my son loves to cook hates to clean and my daughter loves to clean but not cook. Both very close in age and brought up the same way.

Glad to see your recovery continuing so well!
 
@gr82cu2 We are seeing an improvement in his pain, no bad spikes
If it is the weather effecting your knee maybe sitting under a warm shower would loosen it up!?

@marmora It is Jackie. Sounds like you had a nice afternoon walk. Is it fairly flat or hilly were you walk?
 
@tiredwife

Hi Jackie,
We are very lucky that we live in the flattest part of Dublin city.

We are (when I can really walk) a 20/25 minute walk to the centre of downtown & in our area about a 10 minute walk ( with good knees) to Herbert Park, lovely city park and 10 minute walk in the other direction to Sandymount Strand a lovely stretch of beach front - but not for swimming that has a long about 1.5 mile boardwalk that the city council has now installed outdoor fitness equipment along the pathway.

So, no excuse for taking my 3 daily walks - except the sometimes unpredictable Irish rain . :walking:

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora I bet you are on pins and needles for you son to get home and knowing he will be staying and not returning to NY has to make you very happy.

I returned to the work force when our boys were 10 & 13. By that time Kent was working from home and the boys were old enough to look out for themselves after school here at home. I taught them some cooking skills and dinner was their "job" Monday-Friday. They would take turns. They actually did a really good job and seemed to enjoy it. Now, their wives consider me a hero for teaching them. I also taught them both how to do laundry and how to clean a house. Too bad those skills can't be passed up the line to their dad, LOL!! Kent can do laundry and is pretty good at vacuuming and doesn't mind helping me with that. It's just that he won't look around and on his own think or see that the vacuum needs to be run. It needs to be done now, for instance. If I tell him he will do it with no complaints, I'm sure. I just wish I didn't have to point it out and he would just take it upon himself to do it. Oh well, he is amazing in so many ways I really can't complain. We've been married for 37 years so I guess I'll keep him. :roseshwr:
 
@gr82cu2 Janet we have been married 37 years too! Hubby is the same way, he will do dishes sometimes, and he does most of the cooking. Then again I don't work other than on the house and watching the grandson, so I don't mind. When we both worked we both cleaned the house.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, I have been wondering how Mini is doing? Give him a chin scratch for me. You have a good night! Pleasant dreams!
 
:kitty:Mini is doing really well!! He's been playing with his little puff balls and acting all frisky. I told Kent the other day I'm worried about Mini because he's being so active :heehee: He has a big basket of toys but loves his puff balls most of all and always has. There is one particular one that he especially likes. Don't ask me why. :shrug: Last night I was here on the couch and he laid down in front of the TV console cabinet and started reaching under it for something. He stretched and reached and out came his paw with his favorite puff ball, LOL. :catbutterfly: When he was young he would play fetch with Kent every night. Just a little bit ago he was digging again under the console trying to get to something. I got out a flashlight and looked under there and sure enough, his favorite ball was under there again. I shouldn't have :bignono:but I got down on the floor and scraped it out with a yard stick. I accidentally got on my op knee for a second. Ouch! :groan:

Mini has never been an only child. When we found him he was our 5th at the time. Our son rescued him out of the middle of a country road on a cold, rainy November day. He was skin and bones and absolutely filthy. Now, I told him, he's the last man standing. I think he's liking being the only one. Even though he and Tucker were inseparable, whenever we would show attention to or call Mini, Tucker would get in there and hog the attention. If we ever wanted Tucker all we had to do was call Mini, LOL.

Long story short, I think he's going to be ok. He's 11 now but hopefully he'll be around a few more years. :kittykiss:
 
:groan: My leg is still aching for the 3rd day in a row now. From the bottom of my knee and up it just aches. Pain medicine doesn't really seem to help. I took a 5 mg oxycodone and a 5 mg hydrocodone and now, almost an hour later it still hurts. It's a bone ache, not so much a muscle ache although my quad is tender to touch. The swelling doesn't seem any worse so I don't know what is going on. Maybe something is waking up in there. I wish it would go back to sleep :xmark:
 
@g82cu2
Hi Janet,
Can give you any advice, as have never had any similar problem and must be especially troubling as you have taken both 5mg Oxycondone and 5 mg hydrocodone and still without relief. A summer that you are also icing and elevating.

Can only send you healing thoughts and perhaps another BoneSmartie with this experience will be able to offer you advice.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:

Ps. NYC son landed at 9 am, home and showered and then into his new Dublin office for a few hours - these USA companies certainly have a different work ethic than most Irish firms.
Well, at least he shouldn't have any problems falling asleep tonight.
 
@gr82cu2 Hubby is having a bone ache with this knee that he didn't have with the first, some days it is worse than others, he also aches behind the knee cap. I think he is having a more 'normal' recovery this time, the first was a lot less pain. He is still on blood thinners so I can do any massage for him yet. It is really true that no two knees heal the same. Don't think it is your nerves waking up because nerve pain is usually more a burning, or stabbing sharp pain. I think (and I could be wrong) the dull ache is from internal bruising. You have a good day! Ice and elevate!
 
@g82cu2 / Janet and @tiredwife / Jackie

I am on blood thinners and have been since age 25 and currently on Xarelto 20mg daily.

The Physiotherapist in the rehab centre ( there 14 days) and my own out-patient physiotherapist both massage the area around the knee front & back with light oil to help loosen the area before starting the PT exercise programme.

And they are both aware that I am on blood thinners- so light Massage and have instructed me to do the same at home.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@gr82cu2 I have been having a very similar ache the last few days as well. I hope your pain subsides, or at least the meds will start reducing it so it's not so bothersome.
 
Thanks everyone! It's probably just a bump in the road. I'm sure it will get better.

I just got off the phone with my OS' surgery scheduler. I'm penciled in for my right knee for November 4th. :scare: That's 11 weeks from tomorrow. I am not looking forward to doing this again but it needs to be done and over with.
 
@marmora I'm so happy for you that your son made it home safely. Yes, Americans and their employers are workaholics. No rest for the weary and all of that. It seems like after such a long trip they could have given him a day or two to recoup. Sheesh!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom