Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

My first PT session :dancy: is recorded in history! It wasn't bad at all. She measured me first. 0/82. The 82 didn't really surprise me but still disappointing considering a week ago, in the hospital, I measured 92. At the end of the session I measured 0/90 so got a little improvement with movement. Hey, I made a rhyme! :rotfl:

Then she put me on a machine called a new step. You sit on it and with your legs angled out in front you pump some foot pedals (no resistance) and it works your arms too. I did that for 8 minutes. Then she took me through some PT exercises, most of which I've already been doing at home. She never pushed me too hard or hurt me.

She said she thought no more than 6-8 weeks, twice a week and I'd be out of there. She said I'm doing very well. She gave me the ok to use only a cane at home but said to continue to use the walker if I go out.

I told her I really feel like the swelling is the only thing holding me back, even 8 days out. Why does the swelling have to be so bad? Why??? It seems like there should be some sort of magic anti-swelling pill we could take. :chillpill:

I go back Friday again and then Wednesday and Friday next week. After that I'll be on a Tuesday/Friday schedule for the duration.

Resting, icing and elevating now and thinking of a nap. Hope you all are having a good day!

@Yorkimom How are you feeling today?
 
I went back today too! From here on out mine are M-W-F. I'm glad you didn't get one of those "physical terrorists" that we've all heard about!
 
@ConnieJOS Does it hurt your incision? Ouch! I think it swelled me up a bit but mostly the top of my incision hurts.

How did your PT go today?
 
@gr82cu2 Well he had me sit down and stand up 10 times. That really hurt right at rhe top of my knee cap. That's the only thing I've done that hurt. It still hurts a little from that. I don't really notice my incision. Everything does feel really tight like I have a tourniquet wrapped around my knee. Not pleasant. The nice thing is, at the end of my session he has me lay down, puts ice packs on my knee, turns out the light, sets a timer by the door, then leaves! I feel like a kid getting tucked in at night! :)
 
@gr82cu2, glad your PT went so well! Your therapist sounds great. @ConnieJOS, I always went on M-W-F when I had my first one done too.
I'm feeling good today. The one side of the mouth is pretty tender but not hurting enough to take the pain meds. They want me to stay on a liquid or real soft diet for at least 24 hours. I had a smoothie for lunch and I am really getting hungry. Think I'll have cream of wheat for dinner. Hope you two have a good night
 
@gr82cu2 Doing great, know the swelling is frustrating but it will get better.

@ConnieJOS the dreaded tight band feeling. never forget the day hubby came in all excited because his tight band feeling majically disappeared. It will go away.

You guy are just newbees be patient.

oh, hubby is sitting up in a chair watching tv.
 
@ConnieJOS I had to do the sit down stand up 10 times thing too. That's what hurt me the most I think. She asked if I wanted to ice there or wait till I got home. I said when I get home. It's only like 5 minutes from our house.

@Yorkimom Be really careful you don't get dry socket. No drinking through a straw, I'm sure they told you that.
@tiredwife your hubby is my hero!!!
 
@gr82cu2, I can't believe you said that! I said the same thing to my doctor yesterday. I never knew about a dry socket until my daughter had a tooth pulled a couple of years ago and she got a dry socket. She said it was horrible. The doctor said he doesn't think I'll have a problem....but you never know. I'm being very careful, that's for sure! Thanks
 
@g82cu2 @Yorkimom @ConnieJOS @tiredwife @Jozilla
Trouble h
Greeting on to BoneSmart forum yesterday, but o.k. Now that I am back home.
Left the rehab centre about 11:30 am this Morning (Wed 6 August). After my friend and I had a sandwich in the garden lay down with knee iced & elevated took my 1 Valium and1 Oyxnorm and slept soundly on the couch from 1:30 to 5:15 pm!
It's only less than a ten minute drive from the rehab centre to my house, but wiped out. Although, my last night there my new roommate was in terrible pain and was very restless and needed lots if nursing care, so I didn't sleep very well, so that could explain my long homecoming nap!

Naturally, can't sleep now & it's nearly midnight, so catching up on posts, sleeping in spare bedroom, so husband can get a good nights sleep !


Take care all :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora, glad that you are finally home. That last night in rehab must have been hard with your roommate having such a hard time. Sleeping that much in the afternoon probably got your inner clock messed up. Now that you are home you can rest, ice, elevate and relax. Hopefully your eyes are heavy now and you are falling asleep. Sweet dreams:sleep:
 
Welcome home @marmora Yep, that long nap probably is what is keeping you awake now. Although I don't know. I've been sleeping great at night and still can't stay awake during the day. I have to force myself. I'm sure the pain meds have something to do with it but they have never made me this sleepy before.

Ok everybody, my left hip has just been very tender. I finally got around to checking it in the mirror and it is BLACK! A place bigger than a soft ball. It's way higher than anywhere they could have tied a tourniquet. My entire leg is bruised but this is way darker than the rest of my leg. I don't know why I'm telling you. There is nothing you can do but dang! :tantrum: And after PT today I feel like my knee is back to day 2 even though we didn't do anything too terribly strenuous, I didn't think. :nah:
 
Gosh @gr82cu2, I don't know what to say about your hip except that I have heard that they aren't very gentle with you in the operating room and maybe they bumped you into something.
Unfortunately you will find days where you feel like you are going backwards in your recovery. I remember one day doing really well in PT and then two days later when I went back my knee felt like a balloon and I could hardly do anything. My therapist said that you will have some days like that.
I hope your leg and hip feel better tomorrow.:loveshwr:
 
Thanks Anne @Yorkimom You have to wonder if they tried to be more gentle if things would heal quicker because there would be less damage? I'd hate to think what I'd look like if I hadn't quit taking my Aleve a month ahead and everything else 2 weeks ahead of surgery.

Now I'm worried I won't be able to do as well at PT on Friday. My knee is really hurting tonight and it had been getting so much better. Boohoo!!!
 
@gr82cu2 I can't think of why you hip would be black. They didn't drop you did they??? Maybe it was from blood backing up from the torniquet??? Let your pt know, maybe it is more common than we think. How is Tucker doing??? You have a great day!!
 
@gr82cu2 That's pretty strange about your hip, bit I 'd say you can bruise that far away just from the knee surgery. My ankle is probably the darkest bruising I have and I don't think anything hit it. Strange how the brushing spreads out. When is your follow up with your surgeon?
 
@tiredwife If they dropped me they sure didn't tell me, haha! It's just strange because it's so isolated. My upper thigh is not bruised although it is tender from where they put the tourniquet I assume. Good idea about asking the PT. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow when I see her.

@ConnieJOS My follow up is on the 14th unless it gets changed. I called and requested to not be seen by my surgeon's PA and they said they had to have his permission to do that. They haven't called me back. I guess I need to get on the phone today and see what's going on.
 
@gr82cu2 Of course they wouldn't tell you if they dropped you! I went home to clean the litter pans and check the cats. Emily had crawled in her favorite cabinet and closed the door behind her. She loves sleeping in there.
 
Back
Top Bottom