TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@tiredwife That is awesome! Great job! Waterfalls and everything.

I decided my incision is dry today so I took a shower. Kent helped me in and out. Man, that felt good but it wiped me out. I have a huge black bruise on the upper part of my hip/side of butt and my ankle is definitely bruised too. Waiting on legs to get completely dry now so we can get the hose back on.

When did your hubby's swelling definitely start to decrease? I know it's going to come and go for a long time but am interested in when it might start the downward trend. That's the most painful thing for me right now. I really am not having a lot of tendon or muscle pain.
 
Again, it seems we all get told different things. After both THRs and my TKR I was told I could shower soon as I got home which was two days after surgery. I have that dura bond stuff on the incision. Doesn't seem to cause a problem. :-)
 
@ConnieJOS They told me I could shower when the incision was dry. I have glue too but it has been a tiny bit weepy until today. I guess their thinking is if something can get out, something can get in? I have no idea, really. I'm sure they err on the side of caution. Afterall, it's not them going days with showering :swoon: But then, it seems to me too, that washing any possible bacteria off our bodies wouldn't be a bad thing either. You can only get just so clean with a sink bath. How is your day going today Connie? Good, I hope! :phone:
 
I'm trying to be optimistic and say it's better than yesterday. But the truth is it's pretty much the same. The swelling hasn't improved. I'm really hoping it will go down some for PT at 7:45 am tomorrow! I'm mostly laying around with ice packs. Also stressing about my work situation. I'm a small business owner and it's hard to be able to be off and rest. We had a situation come up Friday that caused me to have to go into the office for 4 1/2 hours yesterday to research and resolve some problems. I didn't FEEL like it! But there was no one else to do it. I need to be able to focus on my recovery right now.
 
@gr82cu2 at physical therapy they used that machine on my thigh muscles as they were very tight today all it felt good but had to run two errands and then carry groceries in so anyway they are not tight now I just have aching gonna ice and elevate and rest I took care of what grocerys had to be put in fridge I got to rest now it wipe me out only 3 weeks and 5 days since surgery I am exhausted!!!!
 
@gr82cu2 I would have to go over hubby photos, I posted one every week on my thread to see when the swelling went down. He never had much compared to a lot of people! I elevated his leg in the hospital so he got an early start on getting the swelling down. I think at 4 weeks it eased to just when he overdid it.

The pond has an upper pond with 5 waterfalls falling into the lower pond. It isn't huge, about 750 gallons, but we like it. Our yard slants down from one side to the other so it was perfect for it. We have a little brick patio at one end that has a fire pit.
 
@ConnieJOS Hopefully they will go easy on you tomorrow. Mine is supposed to be an assessment. I guess they will see what I can do on my own exercise wise and measure my ROM and all that. I think that will guide them with where to begin with the first real PT session. I hope so anyway. I'm sorry you had to go in to work. It's way too early for that but when you own your own business and there is no one to step into your shoes you do what you have to, I guess.

@madinana you are super woman! Just don't set your progress back by doing too much. You have done well so far.

@tiredwife It's very nice! I would love to have something like that. We pullet out our deck and had a paver patio put in 2 years ago. This spring we finally got around to landscaping around the patio. I would love to hear the water trickling like you have.

I just woke up from what seems to be my daily 90 minute afternoon nap. Was having a very strange dream I was happy to wake up from. I think these meds are giving me weird, scary, vivid dreams. Normally I don't do that.
 
@gr82cu2 The pond is in the back and so is our bedroom so when the weather is nice we can open the window and listen to the water and frogs (they moved in on their own) at night. Nice to fall asleep to. We still need to do a lot to the yard, it is a slow process. Hubby says his dreams are always weird so he can't tell if the drugs gave him weird dreams or not!
 
@gr82cu2 my surgery is scheduled for September 22. It seemed like so far away when I scheduled it, but it will be here before you know it. My OS said my knee isn't as bad as my right one was and I could probably wait a little longer, but I'm losing my health insurance the end of October and will have to switch to Obamacare. My premium is almost twice as much and my deductible goes from 2500 to 6300. So we decided to go ahead with the surgery before it ends.
I was working out this morning with the trainer and my left knee reminded me of why I want to have the surgery now. The knees are so unpredictable.
I've just been reading posts for the past few weeks and I guess I'll have to start my own thread soon.
I never had the e-stem machine or the hose when I had my right knee done. But I did have the ice machine and used it constantly. You sound like you are doing great!!
@tiredwife you sure are handy! You remind me of my mil. When I first got married years ago she would teach me how to do so many different things around the house. My FIL and husband were both mason contractors and they could both build a house, but forget about getting anything done around your own house. I've been pretty handy over the years....painting, wallpapering, etc., but haven't done much the past couple of years.
 
@gr82cu2 if my memory serves me right, you will have swelling for quite some time. It is only a week tomorrow so you are still in the very early stage.
@ConnieJOS I can't imagine how you went into the office so soon after surgery. I understand your dilemma with being a small business owner as my husband has his own business also, but it had to be really hard. In the beginning whenever you are on your feet for any amount of time, it increases the swelling. At least that's what happened to me. Both of you should just keep elevating and icing.
 
Believe me I wouldn't have gone to work if I didn't just have to. The girl that had worked for me for many years had to quit two weeks before my surgery. I had to hire someone with only two weeks to train them before I left her on her own. And I hadn't gotten a chance to do a month end with her. Things got so messed up we were not going to be operational on Monday if I hadn't gone in. I felt bad, leg swollen badly, I hadn't slept much. I was upset, shaking, and almost in tears trying to concentrate on finding the problems and fixing them. Well, I saved the day. (Yay me). Yes, we do what we gotta do.
 
Here's the e-stem on my leg in the swelling setting. When I use it for strength and exercise I only have 2 pads on my leg. I've been doing the swelling one after I do my exercises. It's an Empi Phoenix.

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2 your leg looks great for only being a week!!!
@ConnieJOS I figured you would only have gone in if it was absolutely necessary. That's a shame the girl quit right before your surgery. That wasn't too considerate, that's for sure. It's tough having your own business.
 
@gr82cu2 I live in Knoxville. It's great here, come on down?
@Yorkimom The girl who worked for me had no choice. Her elderly mother lives with her and she went home to find that she had fallen on their front porch and laid there injured for hours before Linda got home. She couldn't leave her alone anymore.
 
See my ice pack! I love this thing. I filled it with two parts water to one part rubbing alcohol. It stays firm but slushy and stays very cold for a long while. It molds and shapes to wherever you want to put it. My husband Melvin says that's the kind you put on your head. But I think that's only in cartoons. :-)
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@G82cu2 @tiredwife @ConnieJOS @Yorkimom
Showers - my special de stress moment of the day, even though I had 40 staples/clips they were covered by a large waterproof dressing and also 3 small dressings were the drains inserted, I had my first assisted shower in hospital on day 2 post-op and the hit water on my back and limbs and being able to shampoo the hair really sets me up for the day. Today is day 18 post-op & have had a shower daily without any assistance and for about a week now, can get the TED stockings on & off myself..
@G82cu2 - thank you for the picture of your e-stem unit, have never seen or heard of one here in Ireland. But, saying that there may be done physio departments that use them .
@ConnieJOS - I had tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat resting about your returning into the office for 4 1/2 hours. I previously had my own business and know the added responsibilities that go with that role.@Yorkimom - the swelling is what bothers me the most and even with icing, elevating .& resting it hits me several times a day - it is sometimes worse than the pain . If anyone knows a solution please share !
 
@marmora Sadly the swelling is an issue that stays around. Elevate as high as you can for as long as you can. Hubby says hang your foot from the ceiling! Really, your foot needs to be elevated high! It might have helped that his BP meds has HCT to reduce fluid in the body. Maybe that's why he was never as bad as some are.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom