Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @gazelle7777 - happy 7 month knee anniversary. Glad to hear that the knees are generally behaving themselves but sorry to hear that you are having hip problems and hope that you can get these resolved. Could the hip issues be related to a change in gait after the BKR? Hve you talked to the PT about the hip issues? Mine has given me some extra ones to help with back issues that have been a problem after my TKR

Take care
 
Hi Puffin and Diane! my Bone smart buddies! Puffin, my hips started bothering me in my early 30's, way before my knees! I have had hip issues going on for over 25 years.... the left hip has a big bone cyst in it and it is my worst hip over the two. I have arthritis all throughout my body.... My surgeon knows about my hips. They were feeling ok the first few months after surgery, but, when I started becoming more active again.. where for the past 10 years I was very passive, I think it is making the bad hips start acting up with all the walking movement. I have not gone on a walk now for over a week and my hip is behaving -- there is a certain amount of discomfort you live with with bad hips. But, I do not want my hip telling me when I can or can not go on a simple walk around the block! So, since with being less active I am not in terrible pain, I will just wait until June to see how they are and by then will know if I want to set up an appointment for surgery. Now that I have had a taste of life without pain( how wonderful is that life!) I want it back!!! Take care you two!:friends: Joan
 
Hi @gazelle7777
Is there anyway this cyst could be aspirated ? Possibly that could relieve some pressure:)
I do hope you feel better:friends:
Thinking of you,
Diana:snow dig:
 
8 MONTH ANNIVERSARY BTKR!
February 4, 2014

Hello Bone Smart friends! Just my monthly update. Hope you are all doing well on your journey . On June 4, 2013 I was preparing for my total knee replacement this day... and what a life changing day that was for me! I have been doing very well. My knees have settled down nicely. I am kneeling on them now( it feels strange but not painful) , and, have better bend and stretch now that any swelling I had has gone away. The best thing is NO PAIN!! The only thing that keeps me from being 100% is my hips. They are fine if just home and not striding in my step like you do walking outside, but if I go shopping or walking any distance my left hip starts to tell me it is not happy...:hissy: It is controllable discomfort if I take it easy, but, it is also something I will have to address sooner or later.... I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE IT EASY!! I want to walk and dance and enjoy these great knees!:happydance:

So on to the 9th month in the journey.... I can not wait to see how much better these knees get!:) Thanks for listening my friends!
Joan:thankyou:


 
@gazelle7777
Happy 8 months knees Anniversary !!!!:dancy::happydance::yay:I am so happy your knees are doing well:yahoo:
Now, if we could only get your hip to behave:skep: I hope you find something to help with your hip
Before June.
Great to hear from you:friends:
Diana.....JUNE SUNBEAMS:SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
Hi, my friend Gazelle!
It's been a long time - funny how I don't check Bonesmart very often anymore. In part it's due to my new job (I am now a dept. chair at my college) - and partly just living life.

It's great to hear how well you're doing. Kneeling?! Wow! I've decided I can live a wonderful life without it. I tried a few weeks ago, with a pillow, but yikes - those incisions started yelling.

I am sorry to hear about your hip, though. Argh. As for me - my back acts up occasionally, though the "bad spells" are farther apart and less serious now that I'm able to move around and work out a little more.

My knees: They are fine. I do have pain and achiness on a fairly regular basis, but I blame that on the relentless cold fronts that Nebraska's enjoyed this winter. Yesterday the knees ached in the a.m., then felt fine once the snow began to fall! The other thing I've discovered (confirmed by others I work with who have replacements): the implants get cold when I'm outside in really cold weather (teens and under; today our high is 8 degrees).

Still. A year ago I couldn't grocery shop, couldn't walk up and down stairs in a normal fashion, couldn't walk for half an hour on the track at the gym, etc. etc. Life is good with the new knees. I "lose" my handicapped parking pass at the end of the month & don't need it. The only times I take tylenol are when my back acts up - not for my knees.

And how about those Seahawks? I rarely watch football, but loved seeing them win so decisively.
Take care!
J
 
9 Month Anniversary March 4, 2014

Greetings To all my BoneSmart Friends! (Hi Diana!, Hello Mrs. J, Hi Skigirl, Puffin, Calamity Jane, and everyone!) Another month goes by!~ My recovery road is pretty straight and smooth:bicycle1: at the 9 month mark since my surgery! My knees continue to get better and better. My stiffness is much less, only perhaps a little stiffness in the morning if I walked a lot. No pain, no swelling. My scars are lightening up some, not quite as angry looking as before. I heard a doctor once say that men usually hardly have any scars and for some reason women have much thicker and darker scars.? Interesting! I continue to wear the compression hose, for the circulation issue I had in the right ankle months ago.... probably should back off on them and not wear them as much to see if I really need them as much now.

I purchased a manual treadmill ,as, my outside walking for some reason bothered my bad left hip. The indoor manual treadmill does not bother my hip for some reason when I walk on it. Perhaps my stride is not so long inside and that is easier on my bad hip... so, I am back to my walking and working out again after about a month and a half not walking. I missed it! My knees actually feel better with the half hour walk on the manual treadmill than if I do not walk at all. I also do an upright bike and an elliptical bike. Trade off between the three of them during a work out. Just about 40 minutes.... I watch Dr. Oz and listen to music! Anything to distract me from watching the clock, as, working out is still WORK :wink:.

I just made my one year post op appointment for my knees for this coming June this morning by phone. The office is so booked that I needed to make it 3 months in advance! Going to also talk with my surgeon about this left hip... what he thinks. It is not bad enough to take pain medication... it just bothers me and I deal with it as I have for 15 years. I now know not to wait until things get so bad you are miserable, then again, if I can put off having surgery by all means I will.

So, that is about it for this monthly update. Spring is just around the corner here in Seattle. We have had a really pleasant Winter compared to the rest of the country. Fortunate! I should be able to get out into the yard and do some things that for years I did not do because of my knees. Plant some flowers:flwrysmile:, pull some weeds, just enjoy the little things in life that for years were stolen from me.... that I now can enjoy again! Talk to you next month!:SUNsmile: Joan




 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great update, Joan! You always find a solution in order to be active and keep improving. I hope the dr. has some helpful thoughts about your hip. It's frustrating to have these great knees and then have other joints act up.

A co-worker was in Seattle last week for a convention (I was green with envy) and the weather was gorgeous. We've been lucky in Lincoln - lots of below-zero and single-digit temps but very little of the snow that has crippled many other places.

I just realized that either yesterday or Saturday will be my 11-month mark. Funny how I thought I'd never forget the date...guess I'll have to check my Bonesmart profile, haha!
j
 
Dear Gazelle,
:goodpost:I have a wonderful picture of you planting flowers. I remember last Fall planting
Mums :) It was so relaxing. Alas, It is freezing here in MA. :shocked:I love the Winter, but not
Polar Vortex weather.
I am so Happy you are back on the treadmill & your hip is fine with that :happydance:Every day my
Knee gets better. My knee always hurt when it was sideways ( laying in bed, tying my shoe )
But, in one day I can whip my leg up & tie my shoe, no pain:egypdance:I can also sit cross- legged &
I kneeled at a wake this past week-end. I wasn't going to, but I did it :yay:
Here's to another month, of recovery:cheers:
Take Care:friends:
Diana...."JUNE SUNBEAMS":SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
Give Lola a hug from me :puppysmooze:
 
Yeah---we got 14 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. Instead of skiing--it is wet, heavy snow---I had to spend three hours shoveling us out of the mess!!
 
APRIL 4,2014----- 10 MONTHS SINCE SURGERY:SUNsmile:

Greetings to all my BoneSmart buddies and everyone! I am updating for another month in my healing process. Feeling pretty darn good these days! Occasionally I will overdo walking or knee bends and my knees do complain a bit for a day or so... but then they feel better again. For the most part I have very little stiffness now and no pain. In fact for the first time just two days ago I had my first experience with not thinking about HOW MY KNEES FEEL in probably 12 years( including before surgery). I got up did my morning routine and about 2 hours into my morning, I realized I did not give my knees a thought. They just were doing what they should and I felt like a normal person who has not knee problems...:happydance: It is a small thing, but huge at the same time. :)

I continue to walk on my manual treadmill and also use my bike and elliptical bike. About 40 minutes 6 days a week. For some reason the manual treadmill does not bother my hips like walking outside did.... perhaps I take smaller strides? Anyway, I get a good workout, and my legs have gotten much stronger, after many years of not using them hardly at all pre surgery. I am sure It is good for my heart and my bones as I head towards 60.

I will update again come May 4th.... and again on June 4th.... I want to do a full circle of one year of healing with BTKR. I hope my thread lets people see what a wonderful surgery this is for giving back your life. You do not have to live in pain. :yes: Joan
 
I always look forward to your reports!! And they continue to be excellent. I'm so happy for you....
 
Thank-you Jamie! I so appreciate your helpful and knowledgeable information and insight all these months. You are a blessing to us all here:angel:
 
Dear @gazelle7777
Happy 10 month knee Birthday :happydance::yay::dancy::spin:How can you say not thinking about
Your knees is a "small" thing ? It is HUGE..... I am soooooooo Happy for you :dancy:You are
Exercising way more than I am :happydance:LIFE certainly has been "GOOD" to us.
As we continue on our recovery, I wish you health & Happiness :friends:
Give :puppysmooze: A big HUG from me,
Thinking of you,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Joan, you are doing very well and I'm so happy for. Being pain free is certainly a big plus! I too have occasional knee strain days, but nothing like before BTKR, which is also a big plus! Long live our new knee, and continued success to you kiddo!
 
Congratulations on your 10 month anniversary! I have to say it is an excellent way to keep others encouraged as you post every month. Here's:cheers: to your continued success! So happy for you! :yes!:
 
Hooray! Today is my ONE YEAR anniversary and I'm about to post. I'm so glad you found a workout routine where your hip doesn't hurt. In a month or two I will attempt riding a real bike (not just the stationary). We have come a long way! The #1 thing that amazes me now:I always take the stairs.
xoxo!
 
Hi Joan, So glad to hear that you're doing so well! Wow! No thought of your knees, that's huge. I'm looking forward to that day. I'm so excited for you as you approach your 1st anniversary :cheers:(my birthday by the way).

Thank you for all of your encouragement, for myself and all the other bonesmarties that you've encouraged. I remember getting the card you sent me in the hospital, it meant so much and was very comforting. :friends:
You're such an inspiration with your walking and motivation. I need to get moving to improve my endurance.:dancy: I finally updated my thread, it's been a long time since I've posted anything. I'm going to try and check in more frequently.

Take care,
 
:happydance:May 4th, 2014 11TH MONTH ANNIVERSAY!!!

Greetings BoneSmart friends! Another month goes by... towards my one year Post Op date of June 4,2013. My, as I look back at the last year, so many changes for the good in my life. My new knees I give thanks for each morning as I step out of bed to start my day PAIN FREE, and with each step I take each day PAIN FREE!:yes!: It is still such a blessing to me, and I am so grateful. It is the first spring after 10 years... that I could go out and work in my garden, plant flowers and pull weeds FOR HOURS! No pain or stiffness at all! I am exercising again each day for my health:upright:, which I had to stop doing for 10 years with my bone on bone pain... I feel stronger and healthier for it! I can go shopping and walk and walk:hiking:, these knees support me throughout my day! My credit card is not happy... but I am thrilled! LOL!

Next month is my one year Post Op month..... I go see my surgeon for my one year checkup June 12th. I am having some arthritis with my back and hips... and may need to deal with those issues down the road. But, TODAY I feel great and I will focus on the now and today and all the blessings that come. Best to all my June 2013 sunbeams:SUNsmile:.. Diana; Jane; Miss J; SKI GIRL; Puffin and so many others that, although I have lost touch, I send you good wishes! To all of those bonesmart pre op and post op members I do not know, I hope my thread gives you hope and on those difficult days know that you have a bright future ahead! Thank-you Jamie :yes: for answering questions that arise and helping those here who need guidance through the process! See you next Month! :loveshwr: Joan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom