Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gazelle,
How are you doing ? I feel like you, done with everything "knee" related. What am I going to talk about :heehee:
I haven't been posting much ( once a week ) I think even though you are happy to of left work...23 yrs. is a long
Time & perhaps you are thinking " what now" so here are a few suggestions : could you volunteer a few hours a week
For something that interests you ? I volunteered to coordinate rides for folks with cancer ( cancer society )
A word of caution.....it became very stressful...because the cancer patients were so sick & the drivers
Had their own illnesses. All I heard all day was how sick people were. It started to depress me so I stopped. But, did it
For 1 year.
Also, do something nice for yourself..you did cut your hair......how about a facial....mani, pedi....massage....
I am sure you will figure something out you are passionate about.
Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: .....looking for passion in life....
P.s., at the moment, my big thing is to shovel snow this winter, I can't wait.....
This tells you about my long term goals :rotfl: I always was easy to please.....
 
Hi Joan!
I know it is hard to decide what to do when you have been used to the structure of doing to work. I was the same when I moved to Sweden so I did all sorts of things for the first 1½ years: went to Swedish classes, went to a pool exercise class, did a college class taught in English, sang in a gospel choir, went to a hobby class and even taught a hobby class myself - "English for seniors" :yes:

Hope you find something that excites you in your community
 
Hi Joan! gazelle7777 I caught up on your thread as I have been kind of AWOL, only posting here and there and reading other threads at a bare minimum. Im glad to see you are doing so incredibly well! Im 1 day to my 3 month anniversary and also see such positive changes, the last 2 weeks especially! The muscle tear I had in July really put in in quite the funk, but I think I have finally caught up with my progress and surpassed what I was up to right before my tear. I got a new job that I am starting on Sept 23rd, so I too am leaving the old behind. Its a completely new position, still in my field but NOTHING like I was doing for the last 26 years! Exciting...YES Nervous...YES YES!! I see you decided not to return to work...GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! I wish I had that option, but have another 10 yrs before I can retire, or afford to retire! Great thing is...this new job gives me a nice pension after 10 yrs in, so Im very happy about that! I always like volunteering for rescue animals, and did so up until my surgery...you may want to look into that. I know you share my passion for animals and it could be a great way to continue getting exercise (walking dogs at the shelter). Sounds like you've done a total revamp on your looks etc!! Im looking to cut my hair too right before my new job, but no drastic changes here! I also need new glasses, but Im waiting for my first few paychecks to be ale to do that. Ive lost some weight during this whole process and really firmed up doing all this PT, so Im looking forward to buying some clothes in a smaller size! Ive just been approved for 4 more PT sessions, but it seems as if my insurance is cutting back some. I really enjoy the aquatherapy so I plan on fighting them for added sessions. In the meantime, I am looking for a place I can use an indoor pool in the winter. I don't have a large number to choose from, so the search continues! Would help if I can get one of my friends to come along as well, to motivate me to get to wherever we decide to go. I really find the water to be wonderful as far as working out the stiffness I still feel. Oddly enough, my "bad" leg is the one that I did NOT get the tear in! Hope you are well....Luisa
 
GOOD MORNING! :SUNsmile: TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 10, 2013

LMarshall, Puffin and NewKneeInJune,SWEET DIANA, and all my bone smart friends! Hope this post finds you all well. Sounds like someone got a new job! STELLER Luisa! :happydance: You go girl! I am so happy for you, after everything you have gone through the past three months! You deserve it lady! BRAVO:yay: . PUFFIN: Thankyou for the ideas of how I can use my time in a positive way! Hope you are working through your difficulties and that things turn around for you! NEWKNEEINJUNE: sweet Diana: I also thankyou for the great suggestions of how I can contribute my time in a meaningful way to society I hope you are doing well on your journey.. it is still a journey for all of us! And on we go forward!

I am continuing my PT once a week for the next 6 weeks. I seem to have developed some siatica on my left side.:cry: It stems from my two bad hips. Now that I am more physical, and walking etc... it puts stress on my poor hips and such that are not too good, affecting my stride and all the muscles in theat area of the hip and thigh. My left hip is my worst of the two and I have less movement in that hip... thus why the siatica is there. Such a bummer as now my knees feel really good.... and this pain develops with my hips. Oh well.... life is just a day by day thing... and this is just another little tweek in the path I have to follow. It is not horrible... just A PAIN IN THE BUTT:rotfl: Thought I would throw a little humor in there:heehee: .

Pt person is going to give me exercises to stretch out my hip area which is very stiff. Has been for years. My surgon says I will eventually need at least one new hip if not two down the road... I hope it is WAY DOWN THE ROAD!

We are in for HOT weather the rest of the week. 90 degrees or so! That is really hot for Seattle as we have no air conditioning other than fans for most people. Summer is having its last hurrah! Thanks for following my thread and keeping in touch with me. I will do the same for you my dear friends:friends: Joan
 
Good morning gazelle,
I am so sorry about your hip pain :sorry: maybe with the new hip exercises you could walk every other day?
Take a little break on the days you don't walk :ok: you are doing so well. I find everything is connected from
The back on down to the toes, hopefully everything will settle down soon.
Thinking of you, my little sun beam :SUNsmile:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Joan!
Sorry to hear that your hip is bad - I have also been having some hip and back pain recently. I am assuming that the cause was my very strange gait for the previous 2½ years and that my muscles and tendons adapted to to that way of walking and are now less that happy about my new straighter gait.

I find it helpful that I have my warm water pool training programme 2 days a week so that I am not doing weight bearing exercise each day. Perhaps that is something you could do and walk alternate days with non-weightbearing exercises on the others such a swimming or cycling etc

Hope the pain eases soon :dancy:
 
Going through that myself now, I also need to buy a new mattress. My lower back (left side) kicks up, it goes away and then comes back. The last couple of days my hips were very tight and sore and I thought I had sciatica going on and I just may due to that mattress. I have not been exercising like I should either so I got moving and walking and do my bike every morning, I lower the saddle very low for the first 15 minutes to get better range of motion and then I raise the seat for the next 15 minutes. I am feeling relief big time today. I also limped for a good many years and I attribute the lower back pain to the fact that I am walking correctly again. Still feeling the tight band around my knees too, it seems to get worse when there is rain on the horizon...
 
Sorry about your hip pain Joan. Seems like we have other pains that show up once those wicked old knees were taken care of. My back acts up from time to time, and have even strained my hand from overuse with the dane and pushing off to get up from lower seats. SIGH hang in there! I know it gets better!

Heat is due for us this week as well. Take it easy on your walks for a few days! Take cafe....Luisa
 
Good Hump day Everyone! Wenesday September 11, 2013

Hot time in the city here in Seattle today!:SUNsmile: Summer's last fling I suppose. 90's today! I took my Nordic walk early this morning when it was cool. My hip felt much better today... I think the PT on Monday aggravated my hip as she was trying to stretch out the area... and that was why it was so sensitive yesterday...? maybe you have to have a little discomfort to have it get better?? I also find two tylenol sure makes it calm down... I know it is just masking the pain in the area, but it sure feels better. I will try to keep positive that it will get better!

I bought a FITBIT tracker to keep track of my steps, calories burned and such. It kind of adds to the work out to see what you have done. It can keep track of your all day activity or just when you work out. You sign up on their website for free and you can see what you do everyday.

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THESE TWO NEW KNEES!! I must think that a thousand times a day!:)

Take care my friends until next we chat!
 
Oh Joan...it was over 90 here in NYC too! Thought we were over the bad hot days. Still more to come tomorrow, but by Friday it should subside. Of course, PT tomorrow....but Ill be fine inside, poor hubby waits out in the car for almost 2 hours while Im busy.
 
SUNDAY MORNING, September 15, 2013

Good morning BoneSmart friends! I am checking in less often as there is just less to say( other than praise!) about my knees! They continue to improve each day. In fact I hardly think about them now....:) other than loving them!

A small thing I noticed the other day... I was out shopping( oh to shop and stand without pain:happydance: ) and just the simple thing of stepping down off the curb and up to the curb was pain free. Funny thing is that my mind tells me to BEWARE when I come to the curb as my body thinks it will hurt... Before surgery just to step down 5 inches off the curb was a HUGE FEAT for me. I also find myself going down the stairs better... not great but better.. My back feels a bit better- YEA! I just need to baby it some... it felt OK yesterday and feels OK right now. I do not know really why it is bothering me, so until I figure that out I need to just be careful. I am going on my long hour walk this morning in a bit and I will see how it feels after that. I try to walk a half hour a day and throw in an hour walk here and there. I think the walking is probably the best thing I do for building up my strength from years of not moving. The simplist act, but, it uses every part of your body!

Thanks for listening to my update! :thankyou: Joan

UPDATE FROM HOUR WALK: well... my lower back hurts some.... so it has to do with the long walks and I think going up hills. My half hour walk yesterday was just fine... maybe an hour is just too long right now. Will have to adjust my thinking on this....
 
Good morning gazelle,
Thank you for your update :) I'm glad your back is feeling better. I think as time goes on & everything
Settles down you will be just fine.
I am like you & don't post much ( knee is doing great, not much to talk about :heehee: ) I am so happy you can shop
& do everything you missed out on for so long :happydance:
Life is good !!!!! Keep on keeping on :egypdance:
Your sunbeam :SUNsmile: :friends:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Gazelle
I have not been on Bonesmart in a long time as the end of the quarter is upon me - I'm buried in grading.

It's great to see that your knees are doing so well, but I sympathize with your back/hip issues. Do you sleep with a pillow between your legs? I've done that for a year...first for back/hip pain, then post-knee surgery. A few nights ago I thought I'd try to go pillow-less; the next day, felt some back pain. So the pillow is now a permanent fixture of sleeping.

An hour of walking - impressive! I can do half an hour of the stationary bike, no problem; I'm swimming 20 lengths at a shot and about 1/2 mile total with no problems, but only last about 20 mins. with walking before stiffness interferes. Gar. I'll just keep working on it. Still, my husband insisted we join Sam's Club (an inferior Costco clone) last Saturday and then that we walk down every single aisle. You know the Costco syndrome: It takes twice as long to shop, and if the spending goal is $50 you'd better plan on spending $75 at least! I was pooped after that adventure.

I trust the Seattle heat wave has passed. Yikes! We had a heat wave too (100+ two days in a row and in the 90's for a few more)- but fall is finally settling in. Our high is predicted to be 92 tomorrow, but that will only last an hour or so and the low will be in the high 50's.

How is your sleep? Mine is better but still spotty. I took the anti-depressant the dr. recommended for a month and then stopped - all it was doing was giving me side effects. I tried going without any pain meds last night and my knees were so uncomfortable...yet I cannot take a hydrocodone at night forever. We'll see what happens next week when I'm on vacation and don't have to get up by the clock.

I'd better go to work...funny how those of us in our knee "class" (Luisa, you, me, Puffin, etc.) don't have much to say about our knees anymore!
best
j
 
MissJ its so true about us not having much to write or "whine" about. LOL I wish i was whine-free though. funny how my left leg which started out being my problemchild and got the muscle tear is now my good knee. my right knee is always so stiff feeling and feels like a tight bandis wrspped around it. compared to what used to beits better but this last stretch of recovery wants to take its time. starting work scares me alittle. gazelle7777 i wish i had the choice of staying home as you do! I know eventually i will feel great and not think about my knees at all...i am still waiting for that day.
 
SEPTEMBER 17, TUESDAY, 2013
good morning Luisa, Miss J and Diane and Jen8759, and Puffin ! Looks like all of us are all on the upward swing each on our own paths... but moving forward! I am enjoying my extended unemployed vacation (of sorts) as I have worked since I was 17 and it just feels so good NOT to have to get ready and GO to work... that sayin.. I do feel a bit unworthy not pulling my 8 hour shift. I am just in a life change... and when I find what it is I want to go for, I will know. Right now I am just rather in a holding pattern...

I so enjoy hearing from each of my bone smart buddies! Miss J! I LOVE Costco! I go about every two weeks. For several years I could not go with my Husband as I could not do the standing and walking... today I revel in being able to do both of those! Yes... you have to be careful about purchasing those things that you really do not need! :)

I have figured out that my walks are what agravate my lower left tailbone area. I think it could be a tight muscle... Hope in time it will calm down. Today I think I will do an inside workout for 45 minutes as it is raining a bit and I think the change will be good. It is much cooler this week....60's... which feels nice for a change.

Tomorrow I go to my once a week PT. I am not really sure if I need more... but with this lower back issue cropping up maybe it will be good to see what structurally might be causing it.

Take care everyone! please keep in touch and I will do the same! You are in my thoughts always.:yes: Joan
 
Lmarshall - I had a friend who's a year and half out from BTKR tell me yesterday I could expect to feel stiff for at least a year. She claims she has days when she doesn't think about her knees at all, then days when one/the other/both act up.

We need to remember these are not "real," 20-year-old-person knees. Yeah, they'll ache now and then. I might never be able to frog kick when I swim (sideways motions: not so friendly). As Gazelle notes - the important part is that when I need to stand and walk, I have confidence that I can. As now I must stand and go to class!
xo to all
j
 
Youre right MissJ I would love to have one of those days though....where I forget I had knee surgery! I agree with those sideways motions...I feel it when getting in and out of the car. I make sure to be very careful when doing so!
 
Good morning gazelle,
Wonderful up-date :) it seems the lower back pain happens too everyone, once they get moving :hissy: I
Think p.t will help immensely with that problem. Have you tried heating pads, massage from hubby :yes: I
Give my husband the best shoulder massage & it always helps him. Maybe, my way will lend you her rolling pin :heehee:
You are not in a holding pattern....you are on the road to recovery from a serious operation. You, are doing a great
Job listening to your body & adjusting your activities to what feels good. :ok:
I agree with the not getting up & having to rush to work in the morning. I give those bonesmartie's. :bow:
I am so happy I work nights.
Thinking of you,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: you are doing just fine, my little sun beam :SUNsmile:
 
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 20, 2013

Back has been feeling better the last week! Yea!:SUNsmile: I find it mostly aches after my walk so it does have a tie in to how I am walking... PT therapist says it is all connected and because both hips are not great and have bad flexabilty... it contributes to other parts compensating for that... will try to work on flexability as much as is possible....

I am feeling good though. Sleeping better! Longer stretches - still getting up at 3:30AM... but I am going to bed about 8pm so that makes sense. Hopefully I can sleep in a bit longer in time.

Hope all my bonesmart friends are well... thats about all for now.... Best to everyone! Blessings to you all:)

Joan
 
Great news about your back feeling better Joan! I have the same flexibility problems as you. PT tells me my claves are tight and my hip flexors are tight. I guess it also comes from years of walking funny.

I feel like things are starting to fall into place for me as well this past week. Sleeping better, walking more, just overall feeling more energetic! My PT is coming to an end. They approved me for only 2 sessions this round, so I have a feeling after those 2 sessions are up, they will decline any further requests. I really love my aquatherapy and will miss it, but truth be told, I probably wont have enough energy left to go during the week once I start working. Eventually I hope to join the aquatic center at my new job for the indoor pool.

Glad to hear good things from my BTKR buddy!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom