Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are so funny! You have inspired me to do something fashionably daring myself... II went out for the first time since my surgery to a barbecue and managed to wiggle myself into vinyl pants! I have never worn shiny pants before in my life ... but wanted to look extra exciting and mysterious for my first appearance since the surgery. You could see the still raised through the material, but I thought it made them look extra hip ;) The shiny, tight pants showed off how well my new knees bend and straighten just slightly short of graceful.

Change and new experiences all around! How daring this surgery had made us... The Affect of having mobility taken away and then given back I suppose.
Good luck with crank knees. And take care.

Jesse- You are SO RIGHT about how this surgery changes your outlook on life! I did go get my hair cut and LOVE IT! It suits the new Joan, who it not the old pain ridden miserable unhappy limping person I use to be.... I am full of life, ready to go, I say on with the show! Those vinyl pants sound amazing!! :thumb: Show off those new legs lady! I wore tight skinny jeans yesterday out shopping... I have to say I am proud of my straight legs!:dancy: We have been given new lives in a sense! Have a wonderful week Jesse!
Joan
 
Gazelle
Go go go for the short hair! Mine has never been this short - and it's great not to think about it so much. I saw someone yesterday I hadn't seen in 6 months - in that time, my hair has grown out completely white, I got it all cut off, got new glasses & new knees. We BTKR folk don't mess around when it comes to makeovers.

My "good child" (left knee) now has become the cranky child - so I know what you mean about wanting them both to be good.

I hope by now the bad knee has calmed down and you can Nordic walk some more. Me, I have actually been swimming some laps - it feels so darn normal - at least until I start climbing out of the pool.

Take care, BTKR buddy!
j

Miss J, Wow we sound like twins-- I cut my hair really short and sassy and got new glasses also. Now, I need to brave it up and let my hair go its natural white that it is... that is next! These new knees really do a change on a person. I did my walk yesterday and felt great. It is so interesting how this right cranky knee can go from feeling great to not feeling great in a matter of 24 hours... I suppose it is just part of the healing process... and hopefully we both will have more good days than cranky days. Thanks for being one of my bone smart buddies... you guys have meant so much to me as no one understands what going through this is like until they have the surgery and experience it... You guys are my life line. I only wish I could stay in touch in the long term not just through the journey.... to lose touch with you all would be sad. Perhaps we could form our own club online just to keep intouch in the future. I sure hope so:friends: Joan
 
Good morning gazelle,
How are you doing ? Good I hope :) you & Jesse are really strutting your stuff, 2 divas in the making :heehee:
Sassy hair cuts & tight pants ( oh, my ) what next ? I think I have finally figured out this knee replacement thing :happydance:
It is all about " balance "just like a balanced life is wonderful, the same applies to our knees.
If we baby our knees & understand the aches & pains along the way....we can't help but get better. :dancy:
Thinking of you always,
Diana......June sunbeams :SUNsmile: .....friends to the end :friends:
 
DAY 88, AUGUST 29, 2013, THURSDAY

A warm rainy Seattle day here. Also very dark! Looks like fall, but very warm (70 degrees) for Seattle. I just walked out to the mailbox and was remembering when walking to the mailbox was so painful prior to surgery with my crutch... and after surgery difficult and uncomfortable( but a bit better) with my cane... TODAY I walked with no assistance, PAINFREE! Even my cranky right knee felt good doing my heal toe bend and walk. It was so inspiring to realize how far I have come in almost three months... makes me excited to think about 6 months and year!

I am FINALLY sleeping better! I am dreaming again, and getting 3- to 4 hour windows of sleep... I still am getting up early, say 3 am.... but I am also going to bed at 8PM now that I am not working. It is so wonderful to eat supper at 5 or 6 pm and go to bed at normal time. When working I was getting home at 8pm and eating at 9pm... getting to bed at midnight... I was always tired. I think my health is going to improve with this new pain free, stress work free life! LOVE IT! Also loving my new SHORT hair!! I feel like a NEW PERSON!:spin:

My bonesmart friend Calamityjane just had her bilateral surgery on this Tuesday last and I am hoping to hear from her soon how she is doing..... Wishing Harplayer, Miss J., Diana, Jesse,Puffin, Morgaine, L. Marshall, Roy and anyone else who has shared in my journey these past few months good health and peace. How much I treasure you all!! You have been the light and hope when I was not feeling my best at times.

:thankyou: JOAN
 
hi Joan - fantastic news that you are progressing so well and can walk unaided now and are able to do normal things:yay: Especially good to hear that walking is painfree

Sounds like the sleeping problem is improving even if you are going to bed early
 
DAY 90, SATURDAY, AUGUST 31, 2013

A beautiful day today for the last day of August! Sunshine and 80 degrees! I went for my longest Nordic walk ever this morning. One full hour! I just started walking in my neighborhood and ended up somewhere I had never been before.... ended up a bit farther from home than I planned... but made it home! Knees feel good today! I decided by spring I may try for a 5k walk for charity... kind of a goal of sorts. They usually have the breast cancer walks etc... so I may shoot for that. I do not walk fast... so it better not be a race for best time!

I went for a total physical yesterday. My internal medicine doc said it is good to have a post surgery blood work up to see how things are from the stress of surgery. Makes sense.

Hope everyone has a stellar Labor Day weekend! :bicycle1: Joan
 
:thumb: wow - you are making great progress with the Nordic walking - planning a 5km sounds like a great achievement :yay:
 
Dear gazelle,
You are on your way now, girl :yahoo: nothing can stop you now !!!!
I think a walk in the spring is a worthy goal & you will help so many people.
I walked a mile yesterday along the beach :happydance: no pain today,
But, I am now fighting the energy drain :hissy: I am just wiped out today.
Thinking of you,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: .....there's no stopping us now......
 
Dear gazelle,
You are on your way now, girl :yahoo: nothing can stop you now !!!!
I think a walk in the spring is a worthy goal & you will help so many people.
I walked a mile yesterday along the beach :happydance: no pain today,
But, I am now fighting the energy drain :hissy: I am just wiped out today.
Thinking of you,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: .....there's no stopping us now......


Diana! A mile! I am so impressed! I wish I was near a beach...how nice to walk in the sand! Must feel good too! You better get some poles and start Nordic walking. You just use different tips on the end if the poles for different surfaces. :)
 
Hello gazelle,
What kind of poles do you have ? I am going to order some tomorrow from amazon :yahoo:
I may start a new trend around here, you never see anyone around here with them.
Can't wait.....
Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....just walking along....
 
Gazelle, your story has been really helpful information for me! Thanks for the link.
 
Hello gazelle,
What kind of poles do you have ? I am going to order some tomorrow from amazon :yahoo:
I may start a new trend around here, you never see anyone around here with them.
Can't wait.....
Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....just walking along....

Hi Diana! Here is the company that sells the poles I bought .https://skiwalking.com/ you can order direct from them or ---they sell on Amazon and that is where I bought them off of. They ship very fast- I had mine in two days! They will ask your height in an email you will get after purchase and they will send you the perfect size for you. The ones I bought were $69.95.
I am so excited for you to join me in Nordic Walking! I also ordered some books on it off of Amazon.. you may want to see if any of them interest you. The only thing you may need to replace in a year or so are the rubber tips IF you are walking on asphalt like I am. Let me know how it goes once you get them! Joan:dancy:
 
Gazelle, your story has been really helpful information for me! Thanks for the link.

I am so glad my journey has enlightened you! It will be the most wonderful thing you have done for yourself- really! Just remember the first month or so you will question what you did.... and then suddenly you will see why! I look forward to following your thread on your journey! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Gazelle
I haven't been on Bonesmart for a week or so - and look at you, a missionary for Nordic walking, short hair, ditching work...it's interesting that we all anticipate one journey but then end up going on one we couldn't have imagined. Hooray, I say!

I also loved your mailbox moment. Mine had to do with getting dressed/undressed/dressed at the gym, which at first took me about 20 minutes because I had sit to put on/take off/put on my pants, swimsuit, etc. This weekend I realized I'm standing up to put on pants and can even balance on one leg. Also we had a mtg. at work that demanded a long wait in the lunch line (20 mins. at least) - no problem. Last year I would have either passed out or felt that I needed to sit.

Sleep: Well, it's better. I went ahead & started on the antidepressant the dr. prescribed, though I can't decide whether to stay on it. I certainly fall asleep much better (quieter mind?) and a few times have actually been asleep when the alarm went off, but am not convinced that using an SSRI as a sleep aid is a good idea. I did have a real dream the other night - yay! I'm glad to hear you've found a sleep schedule that works.

OK - since I still have my job, I had better go to work, haha! Take care my friend!
j
 
Hi gazelle7777
Happy that your Nordic walking is going so well

new knee in June - gazelle is right that you can get different tips/feet for you poles. Mine came with 2 types - a flatter rubber foot for roads/fields/forrest/beach and a sharp one for ice and snow. It is important to get the right length/type for your height
 
3 MONTH ANNIVERSARY!! SEPTEMBER 4, 2013, Wednesday:happydance:

Wow! Three months! If feels longer to be honest. From that first day in the hospital, looking down at my bandaged stapled knees swollen.... in a drugged stupor.....:groan: And today, looking down at my straight legs, both with a scar down the center of each knee like a badge of victory! But, It has not been all easy. As I read through my thread about the journey... there were days I was wondering if it would ever get better... and you my friends encourging me to know it would get better... and it did! Then, there were those days where something clicked and I saw changes coming that were postitve. Would I do it over again knowing what I now know??? YES YES AND YES!

I feel impowered to now be able to go for my walks each morning. You never appreciate something until it is taken from you. Something as simple as walking most people do not even think about it,( which is perfectly normal) or just standing on my feet in one spot. Two simple things that before my surgery I could not do. Those two things were given back to me... PRICELESS!

On this three month anniversary I can say that I no longer need my cane any more. Another milestone of sorts. Going down stairs is still something I need to work on. I have to THINK about going down with both legs, not favoring the right one. And it is still painful to step down on that right leg, even with holding on to the rails. Hopefully my next anniversay at 6 months I will have the stairs as another milestone.

Thanks to this forum and my bone smart friends, It has been a great journey! I look forward to sharing my journey for another three months to see where I go from here. I have a ways to go.... but I am on my way!

Joan:bicycle1:
 
Thursday September 5th

Huge weather change today... rain, thunderstorms.... wondering if that is why my knees ache so? My right knee especially. Anyone else find this to be the case?
 
I think that damp weather affects things - I have noticed that I have had more aching on damp days
 
Hello gazelle,
How are you ? Good I hope :) I will not be getting the walking poles. We just had a new rubber track put in
Where I work & you can't have anything sharp on the track. Work is going great... :happydance: I only ice
Every other day.
My os just discharged me this morning, I don't have to see him until next june :yay: I am done with everything knee
Related. I don't know what I will talk about :rotfl:
Take care,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: everyday is an adventure....
 
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 7, Day 90 something!!

Dear Diana and other BoneSmart buddies and June Sunbeams2013:

Onward we go into our new lives... sounds like most of us have returned to our previous lives.. minus the pain and misery of our bad knees! The past couple of days I have been a bit in a slump.... I feel good, I know I am so much better than when I was in constant pain and using crutches... but I feel a little cloud hanging over my head??:sad: The entire process of surgery and rehab I never once cried or felt depressed.... I can not understand quite what I am feeling right now... and I need to work it out. Perhaps it is that for the past three months healing was what I did day in and day out... going to PT, etc. Now , I am feeling pretty much normal except for some stiffness and achyness. I am sleeping better as time goes on. No more PT so that is off my schedule... which is fine.... I am glad I am not going back to my old job so that is not it.... I think I need some kind of challenge or goal. Maybe joining a group or taking up golf.... Not quite ready for bowling yet:umm: My walking is very healing and I enjoy that... but I think I need more. Have to work on this!

Wishing everyone a stellar Weekend! Stay strong and think Yes I can!

Joan:spin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom