Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwww...My Sweet Friend,

I am so sorry that PT was so uncomfortable! I so can commiserate! It is such a challenge to walk that fine line between discomfort during exercises and outright pain from the Tx. I also feel that this time in our recovery is very difficult...but you are making such good progress! You are climbing stairs, showering...even doing short shopping jaunts and vacuuming! Not to mention your trips to town for blood work and PT sessions! You rock my dear! And you keep inspiring me!

Sending long distance hugs!

:console2: Harplayer
 
Gazelle
As another woman with a negligible butt, I feel your pain in terms of having pants fit! I went out and bought 2 new pairs after surgery as I had both lost weight and gained half an inch in height once the legs were straightened out. Pants shopping was good "sit/stand" PT, haha!

Not all docs are stingy with meds. Unfortunately I tweaked my back this week - much pain - so I needed yet another prescription for pain meds & my doc called them into the pharmacy with no questions. I'm bummed that I am back on pain meds AGAIN but grateful that doc understands.

I hope the bike went OK for you. Early on, that was my favorite thing as it felt somewhat natural.
j
 
DAY 27

Sleep....what was that like...? I dread night time now because it is so long and uncomfortable sleeping on my back.

Going on four weeks since surgery. I see many improvements but still have so far to go. I am walking without assistance if I choose, in the house. I do not so much feel pain...it is a deep ache in my legs...and sometimes sharp stabbing pain. It comes and goes. .

I have lost about 10 pounds in the last month...I look way too thin. My appetite is better now so hopefully I can put a few pounds on so my clothes will fit. lOL! Otherwise I might have to go clothes shopping much to my hubby's dismay!

Going to attempt to color my root grow out (hair) today. I do not look forward to it, but vanity rules! :) :)
 
Congratulations, Gazelle, on the four weeks! You are doing well.

Ah yes...the roots issue. I "grew my white out" last year knowing that I had this surgery coming, and also because it seemed that coloring my hair took up half of my free time. I get many compliments--but still have mixed feelings.

Once your hair looks the way you want it to, you'll feel better!
j
 
DAY 28

Oh the heat! Hot house and no air conditioning... makes it hard to rest in bed especially last night. House was 90 degrees inside. No fans could cool me off last night:hairpulling: ....

Seeing little improvements.. yesterday I went up and down the stairs WITHOUT my crutch. I even attempted to do one foot and the other foot like a normal person uses stairs.... my brain says it is not something I should do because of the pain( the old pain) and I have to get past that somehow. I have been riding my exercise bike and that seems to feel the best for getting the stretch without pain.
I think my biggest challenge is going to be learning how to walk normal. I have been limping and getting around for 10 years and have forgotten how to just walk.... with out a limp or a straight leg.

A highlight today , I pulled out all my favorite pants that I quit wearing because I was so bow legged...they fit me great now! I ironed them and look forward to wearing pants with no shame. Straight legs for me was such a wow wonderful outcome from the surgery. I just hope the clock does not stroke midnight and my carriage does not turn into a pumpkin ! It seems like a fairy tale to have straight legs. :)

My knees still feel stiff, and to bend them does not feel natural. Like they have rubber bands tight around them. The swelling is down some, but the stiffness makes it so hard to do PT. The Physical Therapist expects me to bend the knee past where I can stand it. I know you here say not to do that. It puts me on the spot so to speak. Do I tell her no, I am done when I feel I have done enough?

Thanks for listening!:flwrysmile:
 
Good morning Gazelle
I had heard from friends that Seattle was VERY warm yesterday. That's always a mixed blessing given that so many places lack air conditioning. I've sweat through many a "nice" meal in Seattle during the summer months! And it doesn't help that that sunset is at approximately 11 p.m. this time of year. My old apt. was in West Seattle - facing West - beautiful view of the Olympics but hot hot hot on warm summer nights.

That rubber-band-y feeling is one I had too, and still do sometimes to some extent. It does get better. My PT says it's because our brains and our knees aren't recognizing each other yet. Even when my legs felt so stiff, I could bend them for heel slides, etc.

Re-learning to walk is tough. Even now I have to remind myself not to do the "Frankenstein lurch" and to bend those knees & tuck my butt in to keep my back straight instead of hunched.

As for PT/bending: I told my PT's that I was never going to get the bend at home that I'd get during sessions with their "help." They understood. In the first weeks of PT they did "help" with the bend a little bit and it was tough for a few seconds- but I never felt they tortured me just for the sake of the bend. Tell them if you have had enough and see what they do/say. I think there's a fine line between pushing a *little* and going too far.

Good luck w/your session today and keep us posted!
j
 
Oh gosh, we are so hot too---I cannot believe that it is actually 90 degrees!!! Global warming has arrived in Montana. I HATE hot weather with a passion. If we had any humidity at all, I would think of moving!! We also do not have air conditioning and at least it is cool in the am and at night! I pity people in Arizona where it is 120===which is not compatabile with life!
 
DAY 28

Hello Miss J, hello Skigirl! Hey Harplayer, my buddie! Hello to everyone!
Another warm day here in Seattle, another restless HOT 85 degree warm bedroom last night..... oh so miserable!.
My Pt went well yesterday. The Therapist is incorporating new things which make it more interesting. The bike, some bands, .... my bend is coming along. At least she seems pleased. But I have a long way to go. I think it is the first time I looked forward to PT because they have AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!:dancy:

Today I go get my blood warfrain levels checked for the last time... I should be done with it on July 5th. I am going to have one heck of a big spinach salad with lots of avocado!! In this hot weather all I want is a cool salad and I have can not have one.... so getting off of the month long ordeal of this blood thinner will give me better food options so I will hopefully not lose anymore weight. I am starting to look HUNGRY:yikes: .

When I called in for my pain pills for the week, the nurse attendant was sure to tell me that "DR." only lets you have them for 8 weeks... so I have 4 more weeks... hopefully I will be feeling well enough not to need any by then. Right now it is so day to day, the pain, I can not really tell when I will need it. I now just take it by how I feel... not so much by the number of hours. I am taking less at this time, and only take 2-- 5 mg tablets Oxycontin prior to PT. Usually just take one unless I am having a bad night. Why are nights so bad?

Thanks for listening! Update again tomorrow morning:thankyou:
 
Hello gazelle,
I know what you mean about the heat...I'm in Boston & it's been in the 90's for a week :gaah:
Next week the same. I really hate the heat & my a.c just broke :shocked: if ieverneed another surgery it
Will be in the winter :) I hope your doing well in your recovery.
Take care, diana :kittykiss:
 
I think my biggest challenge is going to be learning how to walk normal. I have been limping and getting around for 10 years and have forgotten how to just walk.... with out a limp or a straight leg.
Gait is something that many of us had to work on---"mechanics is muscle memory"---and many of us--myself included---changed our gaits accordingly due to pain, and that became a habit.

There are many different exercises that one can do to change the gait---but the biggest thing is to concentrate on what you are doing---otherwise, "old habits die hard." My PT's had me practice walking over little tiny hurdles, and walk attached to elastic bands---forward, backwards, and sideways---left and right---front and back. It worked, and yo will get the gait re-established correctly, too.
 
JULY 4th...one month since day of surgery

Here I am. Wow what a month! Totally an experience I will never forget. I find myself feeling quite good this day. Oh yes, my bones in my legs ache, and I feel wiped out and so so tired from lack of sleep... but I am walking without a crutch if I choose to. I have none of the "OLD ARTHRITIS" pain when I take a step. I have different aches and pains but they are DIFFERENT. No more bone on bone grinding, no more bowed out legs. The past four weeks have been really quite amazing! I am on my way back from being practically wheelchair bound to having a new life with legs that work. Oh I have months of therapy left, and a lot of strengthening of my muscles left to work on... and I do still have some pretty ugly knees.... but I think I do see the light.... and it looks very good to me!:)

No more Warfrin- no more blood tests. Last day was yesterday. I did the warfrin for one month as per MY doctors orders having had bilateral knee replacement. They never did get my levels high enough... and I ended up with a 1.1 level which is about what someone has when they are not on Warfrin. ??? I will do my own natural things, nato, ginko, fish oil and low dose asprin.There are so many natural not chemical blood thinners today to take I really felt I could have done it myself... but I did what they wanted me to do even if their method did not work for me. Just glad to be off the rat poisen and detox from all the drugs and such that assalted my body over the last month. Now I can start eatting some greens! YUM!:yay:

I have cut back dramtically off of the pain pills. I am substuting some chinese herbs for pain and only taking the phamacutical maybe one at night and again right before PT. I hope soon to stop the pain pills all together but it may be to early at 4 weeks to do so 100%.

Everyone have a fantastic Fouth of July! It is going to be a beautiful day!:thankyou:
 
Gait is something that many of us had to work on---"mechanics is muscle memory"---and many of us--myself included---changed our gaits accordingly due to pain, and that became a habit.

There are many different exercises that one can do to change the gait---but the biggest thing is to concentrate on what yo are doing---otherwise, "old habits die hard." My PT's had me practice walking over little tiny hurdles, and walk attached to elastic bands---forward, backwards, and sideways---left and right---front and back. It worked, and yo will get the gait re-established correctly, too.

Thanks for the info! I am going to bring this up with my PT.:)
 
What I learned today is that a lot of my progress to wellness is going to be my attitude..the rest is hard work and a dedicated PT.
Attitude is correct -- if that attitude is to allow the knees to heal at their own pace. All we need to do in the early days (where you are, just a month out) is to do mobility stretches, just to stop them seizing up.

There is no call for 'hard work' for the knees. You can do any amount of work or training, as long as no force goes through the knees.

I am... only taking the phamacutical maybe one at night and again right before PT
Please, don't do that. If you're masking pain, you're masking harm.

I had to learn both to walk and to pedal my bike, right from scratch it seemed. For walking, I practiced what I called 'think-walking' (there must be a better name than that!), which is not doing it automatically, but deliberately pacing and thinking about each step. Consciously putting one foot in front of the other, not stepping with feet parallel ('train-tracks'); consciously taking long strides and feeling the stretch in the backs of my legs; swinging my arms in time; -- all this kind of stuff. It helped.



Good luck.

Happy 4th July, all colonials reading this :)
 
Gazelle...
Well Buddy, we've made it a whole month! Things sound like they are improving daily for you!!! This makes me so very happy! I am moving forward too! This week away from the rigors of PT is paying dividends both physically (less swelling, less pain, less tightness) and psychologically (less anxiety about PT sessions...less dread of possible pain). Sent my hospital bed packing...able to sleep in my own bed (heaven)! Climbing stairs, using my cane for distance walking...able to cook :yay:
Life is good!

Happy 4th of July!
Harplayer
 
Wow,
So many good posts..that's what I like to hear :) I am 1 month also 115-0 icane still walk unassisted,
Shower, cook, clean & am out & about. I must cut down on Percocet, makes me :cry: too much.
If I sleep & my leg is in one spot too long. I wake my self up :gaah:
Happy 4 th to everyone& continued success with our recovery's
Talk soon
Diana :kittykiss:
 
There is no call for 'hard work' for the knees. You can do any amount of work or training, as long as no force goes through the knees.
Bingo! It is not about working hard---it is about working smart. AS long as you do not force anything and do not go too far into the pain area---only to the point of discomfort---you will be fine. No amount of hard work will speed things up or make things better.

As Josephine pointed out in another thread a while back, "Recovery is not something that you do---it just happens." No amount of hard work will get things moving faster; in fact, the harder you work, the slower your recovery may be.
 
Good morning gazelle,
I can't believe this heat :tantrum: I have a.c in my front room,but not my bedroom. I was basically :boohoo:
Last night. Between my knee in the sheep skin cpm machine to me being surrounded by pillows it was :hairpulling:
So what I did was put my knee cyro cuff on my head & ice water bottles around my neck & down my shirt :)
It worked....I would give anything for it to be January...hate the summer....always have.
Take care my dear...& if you put cold on you neck & wrists it will cool you down.
All my best...diana :kittykiss:
 
Gazelle
You are doing so well! I admire your determination to get off of the pain meds - I still take 1-2 a day but am down to hydrocodone instead of the "heavy stuff," and have the complication of back pain that acted up last week.

Today is my 3 month anniversary for surgery - and I congratulate you on one month! It IS amazing how much can happen in such a small amount of time. I still get frustrated by many things (including nighttime comfort) but yesterday went shopping for plants and could stand, walk, etc. without limping.

I echo everyone else: Re-learning gait has to happen consciously - for a long time I thought about every step - bending my knee, pushing off with my toes, etc. Now I've progressed to remembering to lift my foot a little higher and lengthen the stride. Walking with a shopping cart at the store is the best practice for me, as well as water walking (which you aren't ready for yet!).

Happy 4th July, all colonials reading this :)

Ray, thanks for the shout-out. We spent the "celebration" inside, windows shut, trying to comfort the cat hiding under the bed from all the fireworks noise in the neighborhood. One group down the block managed to set off the whole neighborhood's car alarms with one huge (undoubtedly illegagl) blast!

j
 
One important thing about the gait that I failed to mention is that you should by new shoes. The wear pattern on the outsole is from your old gait, and it will most likely try to force you into the old gait, which is not desirable. Buy purchasing a new pair of shoes or two, you will start of with now wear pattern and it will help you re-learn the correct gait.
 
! here I am horning in again. Tim is correct re: shoes. In fact I just got back from the podiatrist with my new set of orthotics to correct my excessive pronation. Walking already feels better & I haven't even broken these devices in yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom