Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAY. 15

Thanks for your input on my meds I will call them today. I am not ready to cut back just yet and with PT starting this week.

I did a stupid thing yesterday ...
After going to check my warfarin levels, I told hubby lets go to the grocery store. I felt pretty good on the crutches. So we wandered all about. It felt good to be out, dressed, and functioning after two weeks of being holed up in bed.....

Well this morning I feel Terrible . Achy, sore, just wiped out. I hope it does not set me back. I am back to bed and can not get comfortable, nor can I sleep. PT this, afternoon....ugh! Hope I get feeling better. Thanks for listening my friends.
 
Hope that you get your pain relief situation sorted out soon

Not surprised that you feel tired and wiped out what with PT and being in pain - are you doing formal PT every day? Could you suggest a gentle day?

Take good care of yourself and follow the mantra
:friends:
 
All of us have gone out, feeling good, only to find that it was too much!!! Don't worry, a little rest and you will be fine. I agree with Puffin---make sure the pt is very gentle, just stretching and massage.
 
Aw Gazelle, dont beat yourself up, u were feeling good and went with it. Next time you know to be more cautious especially right before therapy.
 
Gazelle
Your first "go to the store" exeprience mimics mine (except I probably wimped out earlier). Mainly I'm impressed you tried it so soon after surgery! It took me probably four weeks to attempt store walking.

Keep in mind: Nothing you do is likely to actively hurt the knee or set you back for more than a day or two. And, as others here are saying, there WILL be setback days. I'm 10 weeks out and last night felt horrid. But...I had driven for five hours, gone to a water therapy class, gone to the store, etc. It was bed at 9 p.m. with meds for me!

You are doing well.
j
 
Thank-you MissJ and LMarshall for your encouragement!:)

DAY 16

PT was rough last night.:cry: I already do not like it.... and it is not the person doing it... it is just the PAIN!!!.
I am a bit of a baby and even though I have lived in pain for the last 15 years... this pain is different. It is an intense deep heavy pain that I have never felt before. My therapist is a gentle nice person, very encouraging but also will not let me talk her out of doing something that I do not want to do. She is firm. I need that so she is probably very good for me. I have cut my meds down in half as they never give me enough to last the week out- so that is probably most of the problem I have with the pain. If I could take enough pain pills to help me through PT I probably would do better.

Today I have no trips out of the house to take. Kind of like a day off- no PT and no blood checks. I am going to rest and try to do some of the exercises....I am just not motivated to do the ones that hurt so deeply. I need to start eating better. Still no appetite.

Sorry if I sound depressing... I think I am just in that space right now.. not seeing a whole lot of progress, in pain and not quite sure what is ahead. Thanks for listening!
 
Yes, you are down because the weight of the whole thing is bearing down on you and you can't see the end of it.

My therapist... will not let me talk her out of doing something that I do not want to do. She is firm. I need that so she is probably very good for me...If I could take enough pain pills to help me through PT I probably would do better.
Sorry to say this, but you would NOT do better. If PT is hurting you, it's not doing you any good, it's doing you HARM.

And if you took drugs to kill the pain, you'd just do more harm.
I am just not motivated to do the ones that hurt so deeply
Good! Don't do them!

This is not training, for which Jane Fonda was right "No pain, no gain."

But she is the curse of the recovery world, where "No pain, more gain" is correct. As we've all said, you can't train on a broken leg, you just rest until it's better --- that's what we have to do.

Recovery from surgery is just like recovery from a broken bone, or from a deep cut - and you don't pick at the scabs now do you?

Your body is sending you a clear message "This hurts, stop it!"

You must try to prevail on your prescribing doctor to get the correct painkillers, too.
 
I echo Sir Roy re: trying to get more meds. My dr. is still prescribing plenty (certainly more than a week at a time) and I'm "way out."

I'm glad you have a day to REST - do nothing else today (except to ice and elevate).
j
 
When I read your post, I really feel very angry----what kind of pt is this woman??? I think she is incompetent and you need to call the owner of the clinic to report her.

NO ONE can do anything to you that you do not want done. So, If you tell her that something is enough, she HAS to back off immediately. Does she even know the meaning of mal practice??" SHE IS NOT IN CHARGE OF YOUR PT---YOU are!!! Tell her off------but she is seriously out of line to do something after you told her not to do it. I think you could easily sue her. I think that if you want to continue with this person---and there is no way that I would----you need to film her with your phone----just say, that is enough and if she continues, you will have a video of her ignoring you. In the video, say no often.

I had two tkrs a year apart and then I had to have a spacer change after that----I NEVER had any pain whatsoever in pt----NEVER!! I also NEVER took any pain meds for pt.

MY pt did gentle stretches, heel slides, leg lifts and massage until my swelling was gone---about six weeks in each case. I have a rom of 150 so if this person tries to tell you that you will not get the right bend unless you endure pain, she is lying to you. Are you sure she is a certified pt?

kneesrus, David is a pt and he often talks about how pt should not hurt. The reason that your knee does not bend easily right now is that it is inflamed and swollen from the surgery. think of a garden hose---does it bend when there is water in it? You need massage, gentle stretching and assistance with your gait while you are walking.

When I had the spacer change my doc told me over and That if you push and bend an inflamed and swollen knee you encourage the development of adhesions (scar tissue). so she is doing you no favors by hurting you, not listening to you and by pushing your knee until you are in pain. Call the clinic and get another pt right away.
 
Thank you Skigirl for your insight. I always find what you have to say so interesting. It is hard to know what to think.. I want to do things the kind gentle way as some of you suggest ....then you have those people who say it is going to hurt, you have to do the work..work hard or you will not get full range of movement.... The scare tactic method I call it. Tomorrow I will see what she wants me to do and go from there. I certainly do not want to encourage adhesions pushing my swollen knee to the point of pain. I know my range of motion is poor mostly because of the swelling.

Miss J.. hello! I did rest, ice and elevate today as you suggested! I may have to lie to the PT if she asked what I did today...I did not do the exercise that hurt like heck!

Does anyon else have a hard time motivating themselves to do their PT exercises? I just can not get in that mindset to do exercises that hurt. Is it just me or is it common.?
 
I am 7 weeks post TKR. I've been very good listening to my body, until now! I feel slightly better so I think I can do more and frankly I'm just so tired I could drop. Think your doing a good job of listening to your body - it knows what it wants. I've found I sleep in short periods throughout the night. My surgeon said that is very normal.

I giggled when I ready about your pain med. and pharmacy issue. I've had the very same thing. So - what I did to handle it was tell the doctor I'm relying on friends to get my med's and they don't have time to jack around with refill nonsense. He looked at me blankly (a male!) of course. I said what I would like is for them to call in a refill right then - while I was there. Then for him to write to prescriptions with 2 refills each. Absolutely to my surprise he said that was a good idea!! And he did it. (Then I apologized for being snooty!) He said they have rules on refills so by law then always error on conservative side.

Hang in there - think your making great progress. And I'm heading for my jammies, ice & elevating!
 
gazelle7777 as others have said, don't let your therapist put you to pain. Next time you go, tell her you were not able to do your exercises because SHE pushed you too hard and to back off. :tantrum:
My therapist came this afternoon. She told me I was doing great. I laughed and asked her to think about how much better I would be doing if I actually did my exercises when she wasn't there. (I only do heel slides, ankle pumps, and walking right now when she isn't here). She just grinned and said it was too obvious that I was working hard.

Hope you get that pain under control!
 
Of course you are not wrong for not wanting to hurt yourself!!! think about it---if I told you to hit yourself with a hammer five times a day---would you do it? Even if I told you that you would be smarter if you did?

I rarely did any exercise outside of pt---heck, I was busy enough just surviving. I would walk the dogs, visit with friends, take it easy mostly. I think I read 20 books that first month or so. You are very early in your recovery---it is going to take at least six or seven months before you are back to living life without thinking of your knees, so don't expect to have full rom in two days. What is your rom right now? I would think that normal for a btkr at your stage would be between 70 - 90.

I have had the same problem that you are having----letting authority bully you. I have always felt that the "experts" know more than I do. Then, I began to look around---just think someone in that therapy class when your therapist graduated---was at the bottom of the class. Maybe it is your therapist? So, is she an expert? or a bully? or just someone who thinks she knows everything? Are you really dumber than she is? You are working from your gut and instincts about your own body---you are the expert about you.

You do not have to be nice to this person----you have hired her to perform a service. Would you pay a massage therapist who pinched you constantly? She HAS to listen to you---it is the law. I would try something like this----I do not want you to hurt me today. When I say that is enough, I want you to stop immediately. Be clear.

If she tells you that you need more rom---just laugh at her and suggest that she do some reading within her own profession. I talked to my pt today and he told me that he never tries to bend a swollen knee. He has to do massage to get rid of the swelling before he can really work on rom. He has a PHd in physical therapy--he is an expert.

Don't be afraid of standing up for yourself----who will pay the price for the over zealous pt??? you. You do not need to do that-----I always think this way now. If one of us is going to feel bad when I leave-----why should it be me?
 
One thing to note: The painkillers also contribute, big time, to that down-in-the-dumps feeling and to the energy suck. I'm not saying to live in acute pain or to let a PT hurt you; far from it. I am saying that you WILL be worse off if your quads and abs lose more strength -- it happens fast -- and if you don't exercise them. That doesn't mean running marathons. It does mean leg lifts, "donkey kicks", gradual improvement on the exercise bike. Have trouble with crutches? Talk with the PT about switching to a walker. Don't want someone else to bend your leg? Sit on a chair, feet planted on the floor, and scoot your butt forward, keeping your feet planted. Lie on your tummy and scoot back until your legs are hanging over the bed, just above your knees. (This last was a killer for me because my hamstrings were tight beyond belief. Ice cream after helped.)
True, I did just one knee done. My other really really must get done, and it will be, later this year. But I am so happy to be able to move around and walk and travel (first plane trip at 8 weeks).
Keep your eye on the prize!
 
I echo Sir Roy...
:) Cool!

Does anyon else have a hard time motivating themselves to do their PT exercises? I just can not get in that mindset to do exercises that hurt. Is it just me or is it common.?
Please, as we all have said, don't do painful exercises. They are not good for you.
 
Gazelle
I hated doing my PT exercises at home and frankly told my PT that yes, I did them, but not as "thoroughly" as when I worked with her. She laughed and said, "Of course you wouldn't!" The hurting part: It was always tough to do the ROM exercises, but it only hurt for a few seconds and now doesn't hurt at all.

At home, it was (1) more boring to do PT and (2) more frustrating as I focused so much on what my legs/knees would not do.

Yesterday my PT discovered yet another part of my right quad muscle that doesn't fire or do any work. We concentrated on it with new exercises, so that leg is sore today. I'm taking it easy - no exercise - besides I have to go to the store and (ugh) clean house a little. Life gives you exercise enough sometimes.
 
Gazelle,

You have been doing such a good job! As you know, I also struggle with the painful PT sessions...like you I dread them! We need to listen to our Bonesmart friends...they are so wise! Skigirl...thanks for putting a voice to my frustration! It is so difficult when PT tells us that we will cause problems for our recovery if we don't tow the party line that pain is good and to be expected. Gazelle...you have been inspiring me since our surgery date...I so appreciate your support!

Thank you everyone for your compassion...
Harplayer RTKR June 4,2013
 
Gazelle, when I first started rehab the PT I had initially made me feel tortured and I got depressed thinking abt how horrible it would be. ? They changed my PT and it was a gift from God!! This afternoon was my last session (we had 2 one hr sessions a day) and I was sad to say goodbye. I never liked exercise, but something mjraculous happened and I began looking forward to it. Of course sometimes it was tough pushing myself to the edge, but he never made me feel terrible pain, and I gained so much range of mtion. I was previously at approx -20 degrees flesion and 65 extension in both legs (one alittle worse) and I am now at _11 degrees extension and 92 degrees flexion. ? What i am suggesting is....try another therapist.
 
Gazelle, when I first started rehab the PT I had initially made me feel tortured and I got depressed thinking abt how horrible it would be. ? They changed my PT and it was a gift from God!! This afternoon was my last session (we had 2 one hr sessions a day) and I was sad to say goodbye. I never liked exercise, but something mjraculous happened and I began looking forward to it. Of course sometimes it was tough pushing myself to the edge, but he never made me feel terrible pain, and I gained so much range of mtion. I was previously at approx -20 degrees flesion and 65 extension in both legs (one alittle worse) and I am now at _11 degrees extension and 92 degrees flexion. ? What i am suggesting is....try another therapist.

Hello sweet Luisa :puppysmooze: I am so glad PT has become better for you. I felt very angry and upset about going to PT today and thus went in with a chip on my shoulder , but I left PT feeling good about myself. I have never felt deep pain like this and it is hard to try to do therapy when my body says not to. My PT-Ruthie is very dedicated and at the same time sensitive and sweet. I told her there was one exercise I did not want to do today...she said it was important that we do do it...that it is the hardest one for most knee patients...but she said let's try it a different way... So we did the same exercise differently and even though it was uncomfortable...I did not hate it like the other way !
What I learned today is that a lot of my progress to wellness is going to be my attitude..the rest is hard work and a dedicated PT. I look so forward to when these knees bend the way they should and I see why I did this. I will never love PT...but I know I could not and would not push myself enough to get through this initial few weeks of discomfort .

You get to go home tomorrow? I am so happy for you! YOU inspire me Luisa. ((Hugs)). :friends:
 
Gazelle,

You have been doing such a good job! As you know, I also struggle with the painful PT sessions...like you I dread them! We need to listen to our Bonesmart friends...they are so wise! Skigirl...thanks for putting a voice to my frustration! It is so difficult when PT tells us that we will cause problems for our recovery if we don't tow the party line that pain is good and to be expected. Gazelle...you have been inspiring me since our surgery date...I so appreciate your support!
Thank you everyone for your compassion...
Harplayer RTKR June 4,2013


Harplayer....You inspire me! Thanks for being such an understanding and caring friend to me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom