Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, so true. And it goes beyond recreational drugs (and those sidetracked for recreation) to an all-or-nothing distaste for any commercially manufactured pharmaceuticals because "Big Pharma" is a multinational industry and per se not to be trusted (or so the argument goes). So many physicians who should know better are claiming that eating properly obviates the necessity for all medication that those who have developed diseases (even cancer) are made to believe that they brought it on themselves. (Look at how many outside our particular online community believe that "proper" natural remedies and lifestyles would have rendered our joint replacement surgeries unnecessary). It's a philosophy particularly rampant in the creative arts--a group that, ironically, was in the vanguard of expanding the use of recreational drugs a generation or two ago! Alternative practitioners are very heavily favored over conventional physicians and surgeons among my fellow artists.
 
DAY36 July 10

HAd a very miserable night last night. Legs and knees so achy.....Finally got up at 4am. I am so tired, but at the same time wired out??? How can that be? My knees feel extra stiff today. I am trying to focus on my gait when walking, bending the knee, heal, toe. My left knee is good with it, my evil right twin wants nothing to do with it. Thanks Vickie forthe barefoot tip!

My doctor switched me to Hydrcodone from Oxycodone. I know that the Hydrocodone is less strong, and I am OK with that. I have cut back pretty much to just nighttime doses and prior to PT.

I am worried that this right knee will never become normal...where I am not feeling it with every step. I hope over time the tightness and discomfort will go away. I would feel pretty good if my right knee felt like my left knee.

PT this afternoon late today...at 3:20 pm. I am feeling a bit depressed today...need to snap out of it. Think it is lack of sleep,feeling sorry for myself, worrying about paying the bills and me not working...I just feel sad...Hormones!

Tomorrow will be a new day. Best to everyone!
 
Dear gazelle,
I am glad your doctor did not just cut you off all meds :shocked: I know you were worried
Please don't get down on yourself...your doing so well :) the tightness is the worst. I have the
Same problem, I treat it like pain :tantrum:
Here's a little trick you may not know about......if you call your bills & speak to customer service....they are more
Than happy to work with you...tell them you have had surgery...I don't even have to send proof :SUNsmile:
I would hope these tips are helpful :ok:
You should only be concentrating on recovery :yes!:
Ask your p.t about the leg that you are wondering about....
Hugs,
Diana :martini:
 
Thanks Diana for the encouraging words! How's that knee of yours doing?
 
Hi Gazelle
Oh, the down days...my heart goes out to you. That right leg might never feel AS good as the left, but it will feel better down the line. And as you say, lack of sleep doesn't help a thing. Hang in there - we're thinking of you.
 
Gazelle, you've hit a rough patch but that's all it is--a patch. Once your system gets used to the switch from oxycodone to hydrocodone you should be fine. It takes a few days but you'll get there. Maybe your doc will let you take one extra pill (or supplement it with Tylenol up to the difference between the 3000mg. U.S. daily recommended max and the amount that's in your hydrocodone pills) or use a topical NSAID like Voltaren gel--works better on inflammation than do systemic NSAIDs and pretty much stays out of your gut). I rolled on a little Bio-Freez on the outer, rear and inner surfaces of my knee (not the scar) this morning and it really relaxed things.

And I agree with Diana that "I just had major surgery" works wonders not just with bill collectors but also with telemarketers, charities and causes whose reps are curious as to why you suddenly are less generous with your money and your time! (Doesn't seem to faze the local blood bank, which keeps sending me "we want you back, how about a t-shirt" e-mails despite informing them on the phone that it'll be months till my blood will meet their standards and I'm in any condition to donate it)!
 
Dulcimer Diva, thank you for all your sensitive and helpful suggestions! I am not worried about bill collectors , I just worry about not being productive in the sense of bringing in an income,as I have my entire life! Boy, I had a hard PT today, and my bionic knees are talking to me! I took a little extra pain meds so hopefully I will not be up all night again. That bio freeze sounds interesting...drug store product?
 
Gazelle, if ever you earned a break from productivity for awhile, this is the time!

Bio-Freez used to be sold only through chiropractors, naprapaths and licensed massage therapists but is now available at some drugstores (usually the smaller ones, paradoxically). But the same mfr. makes a drugstore version called Max-Freez; IcyHot roll-on is similar, as is CVS' own brand. Active ingredients are menthol and aloe; capsaicin is listed in some formulations as an inactive ingredient, but not in sufficient concentration to be the counterirritant it is in the arthritis creams that contain it.
 
Dear gazelle,
I didn't mean bill collectors were at your door. You are like me p.t & no check. I meant for you not
To worry about anything & concentrate on recovery :) I hope you didn't take me the wrong way :tada:
How are you doing today :SUNsmile: I hope you have a wonderful day.
My best to you,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
DAY 37, THURSDAY JULY 11

Well PT was hard on me yesterday. The hardest thing is when she wants me to stretch the tendons in the back on my right knee/leg that are shortened from years of none use. I can get my Left knee straight... It is my right knee that is about 5 degrees short of being straight. And the tendon stretch is SO PAINFUL even if it is not a bad pain- it is a necessary pain to stretch them out. I could not sleep again last night and had to resort to my pain meds. Got up at 3:30 AM... again... have four days off now. I hope I can make myself do my exercises... I just find it so hard to want to do something painful. I use to exercise for health but there was no pain. These exercises are different and my brain says NO! The PT person always asks me what I did on my day off from PT... and I feel ashamed to say NOTHING. I basically try to get back to feeling better from having PT! I am not a good patient. I need motivation to do the work and I just do not know how to GET THAT.

Diana- I never took anything you said personally! Love You! And Miss J... going on three months after your BTKR--- how are the knees doing for you? What are your issues at this point?

Thank-you everyone! Hope each of you have a great day:puppysmooze:
 
Gazelle
Oh how I hate to see you beating yourself up about being a "bad" patient - because I did/do the same thing. I think any kindness we find in recovery needs to start with ourselves. What would you say to a friend who was in pain and wanting some respite?

My "issues" at 3 months: Well, I went back to work this week and my energy level is nearing zero - but I think that's probably all part of the next adjustment. Today my knees sort of feel like they did a month ago in terms of swelling and some weird pain that comes & goes in my right one. However, because overall I am stronger and not doped up, I function much better than I did a month ago. I am lucky to have a generous husband who yesterday (1) patted my shoulder while I cried just from being tired and (2) bought/cooked dinner.

My biggest issue is sleep. It's hard to tell whether the sleep problems arise from the knees or are a different issue. Working has facilitated a bit since I'm so tired, but I do still wake up tons & am not convinced it's knee discomfort that causes that. We'll see where I am in a week. A visit to the GP might be in order.

I believe my overall recovery is a little slow compared to some people, but that's OK - things are coming along. Thanks for asking!
 
Hello gazelle,
Please don't be so hard on yourself :sorry: you are not a bad patient, who would want to do something
That hurts :boohoo:
If you have 4 days off...do your exercises every other day....on the days you have off..Ice, elevate, pain meds
Gentle stretching only. :)
On the days you exercise start easy...gentle stretching in bed...do as many reps. As you want, at the rate you want.
If you get tired..stop & finish later.
You can only do the best you can,
Take care,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Gazelle, I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to do your exercises when you feel so bad. I have the same dilema. When I go to PT i give it my all, but at home, its hard to find the motivation. Take Dianas advice about trying to do it every other day. I tend to forgive myself more when I have had a busy day like when I go out and walk and actually DO things. I tend to not do a darn thing when Im having a bad day and thats when I dont even care about doing the exercises. I have the extension problem with my left knee, probably worse than yours, although we havent measured ROM in over a week. I try to look at the big picture and know that I still have time, but somehow I also lose sight of that when Im feeling down. Hang in there Joan....things WILL get better!! HUGS Luisa
 
Gazelle are all the exercises hurting? If not why not continue doing the ones that don't hurt daily?

Because I had leg problems from the age of 19 on I had to do daily rehab exercises. And honestly what helped me was having a certain set time to do it. So every day at x times I did those exercises. After a time it just became routine-something I did every day.

Now my other concern is does the therapist know the level of pain you are experiencing from the exercises? Because daily PT should not cause the kind of pain you mention.
 
Took me a while, but I finally made it though your entire thread. First of all, hats off to you and all those who have had BTKR. Although at times I wish I had opted for that, I cannot imagine how difficult it would have been. You are all very brave. I am glad you have each other--seems like you have all formed quite a bond and have given each other wonderful comfort and advice. Keep up the good work, and know that there will be better days--lots and lots.

I wonder: What kind of exercises are you doing at PT? My therapist has been very gentle and basic so far. When she measures, she won't even let me touch or push. The only time she has touched me is to massage. The therapist I had with knee #1 was quite different and we did lots of different exercises but none that I dreaded sessions. Just curious about the different methods.

About the bills: I have an HSA with a $3,000 deductible. Once that is paid, I never even see a bill. Of course, I got to that amount just with pre-ops, xray, MRI, and a few therapy sessions...I have honestly never even seen a bill for either of my surgeries or hospital stay. I am shocked, however, at how much an hour of OP therapy costs. WOW! I think I will encourage that as a career for my kids. I am fortunate with days off. Our teaching contract lets us accumulate sick days up to 100, so I was able to take off 10 weeks with pay with knee #1. I figured I better do #2 on my summer vacation instead of using more sick days, and because the deductible was met.

I hope you can find some sleep tonight. I usually get 2 or 3 hours, spend time awake tossing and turning, then another few hours into the morning. Part of the game, but it is getting OLD! All the best to you and your followers.
 
Gazelle and others:


- You can get an extension stretch just from walking; take long strides and feel the stretch in the back of the leg

- Also please see my exercises thread (linked from the sig below) for an easy at-home extension exercise.

Also Another extension exercise needs a partner.

- You sit on the floor, TKR leg out straight.
- Rest the heel on a fairly thick book or similar, to get it may 2" off the ground

- partner kneels at right angles to your leg, placing one hand about 6-9" below the knee, one about 6-9" above.
- gently pushes the leg towards the floor until you feel a good stretch through the back of the leg
- holds for about 20sec
- eases off, waits 30sec, repeats.
- repeat 3 or 4 times.

It's effectively the same as the self-performed exercise pictured in my thread on the subject, but more effective IMO.
 
DAY 38 July 12

Thank-you for all your comments yesterday. The encouraging words and great suggestions. I got up this morning at 2:30am....it is getting worse and worse as far as restless sleep. I am starting to feel like a zombie :shocked: I get up so I do not disturb husband.

Roy , I read your suggestions. I can not get down on the floor and up again yet to do the one stretching exercise. I also have not really began a walking regiment. I have been walking out to the mailbox. Practicing my gait....it is painful and uncomfortable on my right knee to do the extension. It feels like something is "off" on the knee cap...very tight and pain with each step. My left knee feels strange,but there is no pain. I hope this odd feeling in my right knee will go away...and there is not a problem with the tracking of the knee. I go see Dr. For post op on the 28th of July. I doubt he would confess to a mechanical problem knowing doctors and their egos.

It is hard to know what is NORMAL since this is all new territory. The PT is all into the measurements, and tells me the doctor will expect this or that when I go see him. That I will never have a normal gait unless I reach such and such degrees, that is a lot of pressure.

Just wish I could sleep for 24hours peacefully....THAT old be nice.....
 
Dear gazelle,
Could you possibly get a script for ambien or Ativan to help you sleep? Please call your doctor & ask..
I have Ativan & it works very well.
I can tell the not sleeping is getting old for you.
There are many meds. To help you...please call your doc. & hopefully you can have a :sleep: soon.
Wishing you well :friends:
Diana
 
I totally understand your frustration with lack of sleep and slow moving ROM. Extension is a big issue for me as well. If I do any exercises at home, it needs to be extension work each day. This is a commitment I have made to myself. I will write down 3 exercises I received from both my current PT and the one at Rusk rehab. I MUST do something about this extension that is driving me MAD. Lack of sleep doesnt help my emotional health and its spilling over into my days. I feel stressed and anxious, and this is WITH the dose of Xanax I take each night. I do get one run of sleep that lasts from 2-4 hours, then its one hour at a time after that. I end up staying in bed til 11 am (I dont get to sleep til at least 2 am). AND the kicker is I never feel like I got enough sleep :headbang:

Lets both pray for patience to get through this journey and also pray that months from now we will look back and wonder what we were ever worried about. :angel:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom