MUA Good Strong Knee - No Bend<

@Gel-girl just read your thread. Have you tried crank shortners on your bike. My knees were so bad I couldn't pedal my bike. I did some investigating and found crank shortners. Before I fitted them to my pedals I was pedalling with heels on the pedals only. Once I fitted them I could turn the pedals with my right foot in the correct position and left foot in the arch. I am only 8 weeks post op on left knee op haven't tried my bike since. Hoping I can get back on it soon though. They cost me about £80 from Avon Valley Cycles in Bath if you want to have a look at them.
 
Sounds good @Mollymax. You’re not the first to suggest it so maybe I should look into it. I can’t get my head round the mathematical angle stuff of how it works and wasn’t willing to spend money if my knee suddenly healed and gained flexion! That was quite a few months ago now and I’ve almost given up now trying to bend it.

Off away for a few weeks at the weekend but when I get back I’ll research again the short crank. Thanks for the support.

I nearly fell this morning while out walking. Thankfully my husband managed to catch me. I’d had a long, on my feet, ups and downs and lots of steps day at Dover Castle yesterday so my leg was tired and so I caught my sandal on a bit of uneven ground and nearly went flying! Stopped to sit on a bench (we have a lot round where we live) and was fine after that. Spent the afternoon resting and elevating. I don’t ice much these days as it doesn’t really help with the swelling which is still permanent what ever time of day.
Let’s hope the OS can do something-I’ll take anything at the moment to fix the problem.
 
My husband was only too happy to send the money if they worked. You have a smaller circle that your leg has to go through to pedal. You do need to raise your seat to accommodate it though. There are 3 settings on the one i bought and i needed it in the 3rd setting. I went from not being able to cycle to get out ding quite a lot of miles once fitted. Give them a try.

Hope you have recovered from your near fall.
 
Thanks Mollymax. I recovered fine from near fall. Yep will look into them when we get back home. When you raised the seat were you still able to toe-touch the ground? The idea of adjustable ones sounds good too. I have looked into this option before but could only find the items in the US.
 
If anyone is following this thread I found out what was causing my groin pain! An old comfy pair of shoes that must have worn to my gait before my tkr. I can still wear them but only to walk slowly on short journeys! I must look for some new sketchers for Autumn.
 
@Gel-girl I couldn't touch the ground with both feet but could always get one on the ground. I really can't remember to tell the truth. I just get on the bike and pedal but the seat isn't high enough to make it unsafe. I just had to raise it a little. I will get the bike out this weekend and have a look and see just how high I have the seat up and let you know. I did have to sell my racing bike because I couldn't pedal it any longer but that was before I found the crank shortners. Now I have an e bike so it's an easier riding position.
 
My bike in the uk has suspension so the saddle is high till you sit on it! It’s why I fell off in the first place! My bike in Spain is a lot easier to handle. I’ve been doing more research and reckon I’ll give them a try when we get back.

I’ve been reading some old BS posts about knees one year and more old and feel happier about my warm swollen knee. The only differences were they still have aching and stiffness when they’ve done too much but they can do more and are pain free. I can have a few days of rest but still have great pain when I bend and I can have days of lots of activity with aching which dissipates after rest but the pain is still there when I bend. I sound like a long playing record so I’ll shut up now!

All that said I’m having a great weekend having big birthday celebrations with my family.
 
If anyone is following this thread I found out what was causing my groin pain! An old comfy pair of shoes that must have worn to my gait before my tkr. I can still wear them but only to walk slowly on short journeys! I must look for some new sketchers for Autumn.
We often advise people to buy new shoes, because the tread pattern that has been worn before surgery is wrong for after surgery. I'm glad you discovered this.
 
Is the pain when you bend from any bending or just when you try to bend to the max?
 
Cells I’ve seen the info about new shoes - good excuse I think:-) - to buy shiny new ones.
@kneeper it only hurts when I bent to the max which is 90 on a good day and 80-85 on a not so good day. It is sometimes painful when I try and straighten but I can only do about 20 degrees. Neither is a problem walking, in fact, I think I walk very well considering the lack of bend and straighten.
 
@Gel-girl I have just tried my bike for the first time since operation 9 weeks ago. With the crank shortners on I pedalled no problem. Operated knee was fine it was unoperated one that hurt. My physio said it's fine to cycle just be careful I don't fall off. I didn't go far, just a few layouts of the caravan site just to check my knee would go fully round. I still need the crank shortners on but maybe once other knee is done I can adjust them a little and reduce the seat height.
 
@Mollymax good to hear you managed the bike. Great stuff. Not too bothered about cycling over next couple of weeks as we are in Spain and it’s too hot to cycle.
Sorry to hear about your other knee -does that mean it will need doing soon? My other one plays up some time but very occasionally.
I have been trying to exercise my knee in the sea by bending and straightening it but it’s not budging and the pain while doing it really getting me down. It aches more at night too.
I rested today as we were out late last night. I did manage heels (ballroom shoes very flexible, 2” heels and pretty) and dancing without too much complaining of the knee and I slept well with no ache. That’s why I say the knee is strong it’s just the flexion and extension that I can’t do - amazing how much you need it in life.
 
I rang Benenden health 2 days ago to see if they could put me through as a different case. No such luck! It’s classed as the same as my tkr and I cannot do anything with Benenden till the case is over two years. They did suggest I ring Benenden hospital in Kent where I had the tkr. I tried and got put through to patient appointments to see if the had received the e-referral from my GP. Waited 20 mins on phone, decided to ring another day. Rang again today and persevered, first with reception who told me I would just have to wait for the appointment time to come through. Managed to explain I needed to know if they had received my e-referral and also how much longer I would have to wait. She put me through and a brilliant guy answered. He check my file no appointment pending or e-referral received! I was a little disappointed to say the least. I think my heavy heart was noticeably in my answers and so he asked me to wait and he would contact the orthopaedic secretary. He came back 7 mins later with an appointment to see original surgeon for 19 October. I nearly cried and thanked him so much. I did cry when I came off the phone- what a relief something is going to happen. I just hope the surgeon can do something and not send me off with no hope like some have on this forum. Onward and upward is my mantra.
 
I'm so glad you finally got an appointment!
 
Update: ROM flexion is getting worse and it’s more painful to bend. I reckon it’s about
75 - 80. Knee constantly swollen ranging from puffy looking to almost medium. It is constantly warm in comparison to the other knee. I elevate and ice most days for about an hour. Gel pads still very cold from frozen afterwards. Still walking with no pain.

I have almost given up the static bike as even rocking is too painful these days. I occasionally get on to see if there’s any change. I don’t have the courage to even think about outdoor cycling even with short cranks as when I accidentally go too far on the indoor bike the pain can be quite a jolt - I reckon I’d fall off a real bike.

I do try different ways of stretching to the point of pain which is how I know it’s getting worse as I used to be able to get 90 degrees. All my exercises are very gentle and I stop as soon as the pain hits. The pain jolts come from the back of the knee and to the inside. I occasionally get a pain from the outside but almost nothing from the front.

I can extend painlessly to about 15. If I close my eyes it feels straight as it won’t physically straighten. My calf muscles seem strong and I can engage them. Also my quads seem strong and I seem to be able to engage them too.

My knee doesn’t wake me at night but if I do wake (for some other reason) and can’t sleep, like tonight, it’s not the fault of my knee but it does ache slightly as I’m laid here. One paracetamol will take care of that.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading, lately, mainly Bonesmart library and some threads in preparation to see the surgeon.

I wasn’t keen on the solution of working through the pain and pinging the adhesions. I seem to have symptoms of arthrofibrosis apart from being able to engage my quads although they aren’t strong. If this is the case I hope it can be cleared by arthroscopy.

My apologies to anyone medical reading this if I’ve got my words incorrect or spelt wrong or my thoughts are way off line in my diagnosis. If I have got it wrong please let me know.
 
Oh no! I hope you get some answers to what is happening with your knee to be having so much pain and stiffness. :console2: Yes, flexion can take a while to fully get to where it needs to be, but you’ve been patient and now it’s time to find out if there’s a problem and what can be done.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom