Gonna be long wait for me & others sagas as well - help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update, after being really active and losing just about 100 lbs, now need to stop losing too thin.
I may have MS, not new thought, had docs telling me that past 9 years, I see a neuro on 5-1. was soonest I could get in.
So anyway kinda struck down after being very active, my body has decided to shut down on me.
Was dx with Interstitial Pneumonia last Friday which I dearly hope is an error on their part, look it up, it aint pretty.
i am being treated for common pneumonia which i have apparently had for quite some time, over a month ago i went to diff doc, she chalked all my symptoms to anxiety( which I am), but ignored the on going wheeze i was complaining about, so finally over a month later i get this dx.
and after a week on a nasty antibiotic, almost rather just die than take it, I finally feel human again, and angry because i could have felt better a month ago, had she taken an chest xray as i requested!!
So i am left with very little activity I can do because for whatever reason body is attacking itself.
Left knee has decided to act up again.
Instead of the pebble in shoe feeling Josephine describes, its got a feel like its pulling to the left extremely far, and is extremely painful going down stairs, and for some odd reason getting in my car, only my car, not a truck, just my car??
It kinda has the feeling of wanting to pull out of socket like it used to before my lateral releases.
Question to anyone who may know, can the patella still slip out of socket even after a lateral release is preformed?
And if so, why?
Its been since 06 since the releases.
while i have had many probs with knees since then, this hasn't been one of them, so i am kinda curious as to what my left knee is up too now?? Sigh!!
Thanks for any insight :flwrysmile:
 
Hi there Sheryl..wouldn't you get better advice and support in the "pre-op" area, since you have yet to have the TKR surgery? Just wondering.
 
Hi there mrs fix it, um my thread here is a bit okd, but I am fairly sure my current thread is being posted in the pre-op area as that is where I originally posted it, unless something has changed or occured to change that. so as far as I know this thread should be in pre-op area. If a mod can tell me if this has changef please let me know or please place back in pre-op if it isn,t already. Thanks
 
Oops..you're one hundred percent right, you're over here now!! I must slither between the two when I get thread follow-ups in my mailbox..but I was assuming it was only taking me to post-op. My bad!

Good, I just wanted to be sure you had the best kinds of feedback for what you're dealing with. I'm glad to hear your lungs are responding to treatment. I had a bout of Pleurisy once and that's as much lung stuff as I want to experience.
Don't know about the patella thing, but someone who does is bound to be by any time, so good luck!
 
Than Ms. Fix it, i thought i had lost it, an it somehow went to port op. Yeah i am glad lungs are responding to treatment to and sorely hope that interstitial pneumonia was an error, that's bad stuff!!
I was born with bad knees, first bout of disolcation was 12, from there on it all went down hill, but those releases did the trick for nearly 7 years so i am perplexed why left one is deciding somehow to find its way to dislocate the patella again, i was under impression lateral release would at the very least fix that prob. we shall see, thanks again!!:flwrysmile:
 
Sheryl, I want you to know that I am thinking of you. You are a courageous lady who has been dealt more pain than anyone can imagine. Just the IC is horrendous enough. Add to that the bone on bone joint pain, and now this. I am feeling the same way. Like my body is attacking or rejecting itself. I had my hip replaced and am experiencing a cascade effect of life long debilitating conditions. I now have gastroparesis. I am having a hard time feeling nauseous everyday, especially in the early morning and evening. It feels like I have the flu everyday of my life. I have never heard of interstitial pneumonia.
Is this something you can bounce back from. How was it diagnosed?
I can't answer your question but hope you find answers.
I want you to know that we care about you and are listening.
 
Thanks Barbie j. it just goes on and on, i am now typing w/left hand, right hAND Hasnt worked since sat afternoon, goin to dr thurday. Interstistial pnmonia is not cureable, google it, i am hoping they are not correct on that dx, its pretty grave, as far as i could tell, often requiring a lungtransplant.
i feel exactly like u flu everyday. i too have gastroparesis, but have greatly reduced symptoms by drastic change of diet, check out elimination diet. sorry so sloppy, left hand very tired of taking up slack.
do wish a mod would at least try and answer my lateral release question, as it does pertain to knees.
I kinda get the feeling, this board is tired of me, and for that i apologize.
 
do wish a mod would at least try and answer my lateral release question, as it does pertain to knees.
I kinda get the feeling, this board is tired of me, and for that i apologize.

Please don't think like this - noone is tired of you and your problems - you are really having a bad time at the moment and I hope that you can get some help soon

I think the main issue is that you have to mark the posts that you want a Mod to respond to to distinguish them from your general *chat*

I have marked this one for the forum nurse @ Josephine
Hopefully she will be able to answer your specific medical queries about lateral release
 
thanks puffin, i googled my lateral release question, and still come up empty as to an answer if the patella is still prone to dislocate?
 
Sheryl, what are the doctors saying was the cause of your interstitial pneumonia diagnosis? The medical articles suggest a link with an auto immune condition. Do you have RA?
I wish I could help you with your knee question regarding lateral release.
Btw, I am following an extreme diet of only cooked foods and small portions and also following a strict IC diet. Basically, I have very few safe foods and eat like a senior except I am 56. I only drink water or milk. I am afraid of becoming extremely thin. Before my hip replacement I was right as rain and had not one single health issue, except osteo arthritis.
The surgery caused internal pelvic problems since day one. I believe my IC was caused by too many urinary tract infections and the antibiotic treatment. I had not had a urinary tract infection for 5 years prior to my hip replacement and I was hopeful that I had it under control. I got one urinary tract infection a year ago and never was able to get cured feeling, the burning persisted. I was put on antihistimes for eight months for the ic. First Atarax then switched to cetirizine. I believe the antihistamines caused my gastroparesis.
I believe now that I should never have had the hip replacement with my record of urinary tract infections. I had one or two every year with a couple years having more of a problem. Patients considering Knee and hip replacement surgery should be only people who have a rare history of this problem.
No one told me that.
I would not do it again if I had known this. I guess I did not realize I had a problem that was such a big deal. I know that sounds strange.
 
hi barbie j, apologize for lack of proper grammar, left hand is extremely taxed since right hand gave out sat.
i am beginning to agree with u, and am now convinced more than ever that a knee surgery is the very least of my worries right now.
i have lost another 8 lbs in 10 days, not trying to lose any more.
The ip i have no clue, all i know is that is what my lung xray indicated, and looked it up, the internet is a dangerous tool.
i do not have Ra, well as of 04 i didn't, but to look at my right hand my suggest otherwise.
i go in Thurs for recheck on lungs, i am still coughing, and labored breathing, was feeling better a couple days ago, but have went downhill quickly.
have been doing my own instinct pt on hand til i see dr Friday although it hurts a bit, my pt seems to be working ever so slightly to strengthen the hand, plenty of arm strength, tho painful, the strength is there thank god.
I still can in no way write with it tho.
I imagine she will splint me til, i can see neuro on the first.
after many reflux meds, have discovered Protonix works well with gastroparesis for me.
I keep forgetting to ask for b-12 shot, as i cannot take orally, also low iron, and cannot take orally, so wondering if i could tolerate an iron shot if such a thing?
hopefully i will get SSI, and can still get it, the Protonix, as its all that works for me. i haven't had to take any Zantac in ages.
I used to vomit in my sleep it was so bad. i was on reglan, to quicken the digestion so the food would not just sit in there, but it was ineffective for nausea.
i found by eliminating gluten and dairy, citrus and tomatoes, and potatoes and raw veggies, and eating 6-7 tiny meals, has proven to be very effective in quickening the digestion w/o the reglan.
Today saw psychiatrist , well NP, see real one on 30th, she renewed Valium removed effexsor, as it has only been 10 days, and suggests i was on way to many serotonin so that could be a reason for increased headaches and nausea. She added Seroquel to the mix, as no serotonin, and may greatly lessen the anxiety we hope.
Also tho i hate it dearly, I think with the ip and everything else snowballing at me, i could prob benefit from a steroid pack,hate it to death, the side effects are horrible, but body may need it to boost healing for me at this time.
OK left hand has had it, i wish u well, and appreciate your kind words, do wish someone could shed some light on if the lateral releases can still be prone to dislocating patella, from what i am experiencing i am gathering that yes they can?
Googled it, but not really any definitive answers??? sigh!!
Hope u get to feeling better yourself, if you want so we dont take up off topic issues as that seems to annoy others, u can pm me, so we can chat more. Ok take care...Sheryl :flwrysmile:
 
Sheryl, thanks for the information. I will remember it and try to use it to help my own situation. I will ask further questions if I have any in a pm.
I wonder if RestAssured can help you with your question regarding if your patella can slip out of its socket after you have had a lateral release done.
 
you are very welcome. Yes restassurred, aka Sonja may shed some light, but i do not recall her having lateral releases, two tkrs though. And apparently in her situation, even with the tkrs , her petella seems to slip out, so by common sense , I guess i have answered my own question, that it appears that lateral releases can indeed and do fail. I had blind sighted pain that nearly made me pass out with left knee this morning going down stairs, but despite that, still not so gung ho about a tkr, unless its wheel chair or tkr, til then i will remain status quo and remain with the pt that i have been over and over since i was 12. Funny i was told at 12 i would not be walking by age 35, and at 19 was told do to deteriorating condyles in jaws, that without surgery i wouldnt be talking by age 35, depends on how you look at it, i still talk very well, some may not like that. and though not well, i am still walking, was running a month ago. so i outlived those pedictions by 9 years.
My mistake, i think sonja had 3 tkrs if i recall correctly, terrible probs with mrsa, i have been battling similar staph infections with bladder.
Ok pm me when ever you like tkae care..Sheryl :flwrysmile:
 
Sheryl, have to gone to see an OS? Did you have a lateral release? If so, until you get it strong enough to stay in place and doctor may suggest brace, then you might have issues. Call your doctor and schedule an appointment. :)
 
Sheryl, have only just caught up with your new thread. WOW, I can see from your new photo just how much weight you have lost. You look amazingly good, girl - well done on the weight loss:flwrysmile:

You have been through so much and I really do feel for you when you get absolutely no support from your family (except perhaps occasionally from your son now). As said by someone else earlier, the three of them need a good kick up the butt and a few strong words. I would gladly tell them if I could, I can assure you. How selfish are they? You need to be more assertive with them and not let them dictate or walk all over you. It makes me so angry :whistle:

I am so sorry you are not in the best of health. You must come on here regularly because you will get the support and comfort on here that you so deserve.

I can't offer you any practical advise as I'm no expert, but am here for you with moral support :console2:
 
Question to anyone who may know, can the patella still slip out of socket even after a lateral release is preformed? And if so, why?
I'm so sorry I missed this, Sheryl. But the answer to your question is that a lateral release can heal itself because mostly not the entire band of the lateral retinaculum is divided. This is because they are mostly done 'blind', meaning the surgeon inserts a guarded bladed into the area, feels where retinaculum is and pushes the blade along until he feels it loosen. So if he has only partially divided the band, then it can easily heal up again and cause the same problems it did before.

And the patella doesn't actually have a 'socket', just a groove on the front of the femur where it slides up and down within the quads tendon where it lives. That's why it is easily pulled out of place by a too tight band.

[Bonesmart.org] Gonna be long wait for me & others sagas as well - help??
 
do wish someone could shed some light on if the lateral releases can still be prone to dislocating patella, from what i am experiencing i am gathering that yes they can?


Sheryl, this is quite a complicated topic. From your signature it seems that you are talking about a lateral release without having a knee replacement. From what I remember from other posts you had decided to hold off on a TKA for now, correct?

The tracking of the patella on the femur can be quite complex. Josephine has alluded to some of the problems specific to the anatomy. There are several described procedure to improve patella tracking, of which one is a lateral release. In some cases the actual patella tendon (and tibial tubercle) need to be moved to improve tracking; other times the medial soft tissues need to be tightened. Also the manner in which the lateral release was performed is important (arthroscopic versus open). Some patients have very lax tissues and dislocations may not be helped by a lateral release alone. Other patients have a very shallow femoral groove (see the picture above) and a simple lateral release may not be totally effective.


Orthodoc
 
Sheryl, have to gone to see an OS? Did you have a lateral release? If so, until you get it strong enough to stay in place and doctor may suggest brace, then you might have issues. Call your doctor and schedule an appointment. :)
yes sonjia had lateral releases in 06, recent xray remains the same ostoearthritis, havent had ct on it yet, but my question was merely, do lateral releases fail?
I am guessing yes, as mine seems to be failing specifically my left knee. but have so many health issue sright now,have to put with knee pain, as right now least of my worries, with the more vital health issue surfacing now, a ling disease, loss of use of right hand, an so on, but thought some one on her a mod anyone could simply give me any advice experience anything as why and do lateral releases fail?
 
Sheryl, this is quite a complicated topic. From your signature it seems that you are talking about a lateral release without having a knee replacement. From what I remember from other posts you had decided to hold off on a TKA for now, correct?

The tracking of the patella on the femur can be quite complex. Josephine has alluded to some of the problems specific to the anatomy. There are several described procedure to improve patella tracking, of which one is a lateral release. In some cases the actual patella tendon (and tibial tubercle) need to be moved to improve tracking; other times the medial soft tissues need to be tightened. Also the manner in which the lateral release was performed is important (arthroscopic versus open). Some patients have very lax tissues and dislocations may not be helped by a lateral release alone. Other patients have a very shallow femoral groove (see the picture above) and a simple lateral release may not be totally effective.


Orthodoc
Thank you OD , finally an answer, i appriciate that, my releases were in 06, correct no tkr in near future. my releases were arthoscopitic, you ask that, does it make a difference,is an open one more sufficient? for the time being when i see os next week just going see if he can properly brace it for now, and continue pt, being doing pt so many years, since 12 years of age, that i am profcient enough to do on my home, quad strenghting, hip flexors and so on. And very important, is strechtes along with the strenghting is important Thanks for shedding some light for me greatly apprciated :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom