Guest viewing is limited

TKR Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon

Thank you so much for this. You and your wife sound like a pretty amazing couple.
You'r right about him handling emotions differently. Sometimes I'm all over the place, while he tries to keep me on a steady course.
My husband loves me to the moon and back. Right now we are also dealing with (have been) his father who is dying from a form of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). So to say he has been stretched thin is an understatement. He has been short with me but in the grand scheme of it all, he just needs a break, and it never comes. Something bad has seemed to happen everyday.

We have those challenges as well. With my wife and I, Mother's Day, Father's Day and Birthdays we try to let the other relax. Doesn't always work out so during the year we will do something to surprise the other to show how much we appreciate each other, etc. Neither of us know when it's coming and it could be as small as a candy bar that has memories attached to it, etc.

Obviously your physical condition can be a limitation but you would be amazed at how doing something fairly small can mean so much. My wife is disabled but having her amputation has given her some of her life back. That's my gift every day I tell her. I wish she wouldn't have regained all of her sassy-ness but I'll take that over what it was any day!

Look for one of those gift of the month clubs for guys. My wife always finds some "man thing" to surprise me with every now and then!
 
I sleep in a recliner next to my wife who's in bed. She's a good gal and takes pretty good care of me. But yeah sometime I can see it's taking a toll on her. She's having to take on my chores for the most part too. She needs a new car and I think we'll get her one as a reward for her dedication.
I'm restless and I am up by 4am every day. She doesn't get up till 6, so I find myself just staring into the darkness thinking about everything and nothing for two hours till she gets up and lets out our little chihuahua.
 
Has anyone heard of/used something called the "X-10" machine ? It is supposed to increase ROM without pain. It looks good but I think it's only for the early weeks post op. I'm in week 5 so may be too far out for it to be of use.
 
It’s just as easy, and free, to just gently bend your knee yourself. There is no fast track to recover quicker in this recovery. Extra equipment is just that, extra equipment.

Try to relax about your ROM, stress can do a big number on our recovery, the tension causes us more pain. Any time in my recovery I got really upset about something, my pain would increase. :console2:
 
Something that my surgeon has not taken into consideration is my history of chronic lymphedema in my right lower extremity...my right leg! The very odd thing is, since surgery, the usual edema I would have in my ankle/foot is gone! I have stopped wearing the support stocking and I still don't have edema in my foot...which has been the bane of my existence since I fell running track at age 11. At that time I suddenly developed chronic lymphedema in the right lower extremity and nothing was done about it.
I am thinking it definitely could be the cause of my slow healing, or at least my slow to flex knee. So why will no one take it into consideration? (I have also lost 10 lbs since surgery which may help my edema as well, but certainly has made me weaker.) Why do doctors dismiss our medical history?
 
Last edited:
@Gingerbread Yes, no one knows your body like YOU do. You are probably correct in your analysis. It would sure be a huge plus for you to have your edema gone as a side benefit of TKR! I have also lost 10 pounds during EACH of my TKRs, so I am down almost 20 pounds which is great with me! Sounds like you are on the "comeback trail"...good luck with your continued recovery!
 
You aren't having a slow healing, you are having a normal healing. Excessive, painful exercises can certainly slow down that healing. As we have said before, you can not speed up your healing but you can sure slow it down by doing things your knee isn't ready to do yet. Please quit stressing so much over your bend. You are only making things worse.
 
Well, my husband still thinks I am not doing enough. Despite the fact I am doing all the prescribed exercises everyday. Yesterday he said "you're not pushing as far as you can are you? You only have so much time until you need a manipulation. We can't go through that." And he berated me.
I tried to tell him again what this sight espouses. He will have none of it. He thinks I am behind and I need to work harder no matter the pain. He saw what the PT did to me on the bike the other day and knows what she is threatening to do on Tuesday and is fine with it.
I'm terrified. I don't want to live life like this. I am quitting my job so that adds to my husband's fire of being a "quitter". I am fervently looking for a new job; this one has been abusive to say the least.
Has anyone else struggled with unsupportive spouses? How do I advocate for myself when I am in such a state of dependency? I can't.
 
If I were you I would call an employment lawyer and see what your rights are regarding your job. None of my business but if your relationship with your husband was good before you had surgery then it can be again. The recovery doesn't last forever.
 
If I were you I would call an employment lawyer and see what your rights are regarding your job. None of my business but if your relationship with your husband was good before you had surgery then it can be again. The recovery doesn't last forever.
I have wanted to leave this job for a long time. What they are doing now is icing on the cake. I have put details about my struggles with my husband on here because I have no one else to tell. At least on here everyone understands at least part of what I'm going through. Our relationship has always been rocky. My husband really stepped up initially but now that we are past 5 weeks he is over it. He reminds me that I ruined the summer; that I better not ruin another. That's why I took my picture down; I don't want anyone on the off chance to recognize me. This is hard and embarrassing. I don't think I'll be posting anymore.
 
OK I might also suggest you confide in one of your children and have that child act as a mediary to assist your husband with his issues. I know in my situation when one of my children makes a suggestion to me, I listen very carefully and take it to heart.
It's the rare marriage that does not get at little rocky now and then over the years. Reach out to each other. Remember you have common goals and are partners in life.
 
From what you are saying, you are in an abusive relationship.

I am not sure the best thing for you to do without a job and disabled with the knee.

I am sure there are some people here that can give you solid advice.

Your knee should get better with time, not sure about your relationship.
 
I have wanted to leave this job for a long time. What they are doing now is icing on the cake. I have put details about my struggles with my husband on here because I have no one else to tell. At least on here everyone understands at least part of what I'm going through. Our relationship has always been rocky. My husband really stepped up initially but now that we are past 5 weeks he is over it. He reminds me that I ruined the summer; that I better not ruin another. That's why I took my picture down; I don't want anyone on the off chance to recognize me. This is hard and embarrassing. I don't think I'll be posting anymore.

What your husband is going through is called "caregiver fatigue". I have been taking care of my wife for what seems like an eternity. She doesn't need as much care today as she did a decade ago. But, she does need help every day. Most times she is just worn out and can't do anymore. She, like me, doesn't always ask when she needs help. This can her into trouble causing me more work than if she just would have asked for help to being with.

Caregiver fatigue is something that can happen sooner or later to anyone who is caring for you all of the time. It may be a few weeks, years or ever decades. It's all dependent on that person.

My wife doesn't work anymore due to her disabilities, although she probably could but her life would be work and little else as she would end up being in bed the rest of the time. We have talked about her going back to work part time, more for my sanity than hers. It's not uncommon for her to text or call me and demand my attention when I am working to help her with whatever mess she got herself into and/or whatever her priorities are at the time. It is VERY frustrating. But I have been doing this for well over a decade so I get over it a lot quicker than I used to. That doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome a break.

My wife and I don't always get along. We all have our struggles. BUT (big butt :snork:) the one thing we both have is Faith. While I don't tap that as often as I should, I did tell her the day after she got her leg cut off that I didn't "Marry you for better or when you got your leg cut off". I have repeated that many times since.

Marriage is work and hard work at that.

My suggestion is that you vent here and be calm when dealing with your husband. Men don't react well to crying or yelling. Then perhaps you two can have a positive conversation, several of them and eventually it will work itself out.

That's off the cuff advice, obviously I don't know all of the details. But from a high level it's a place to start.
 
@Gingerbread I notice that most of the previous recent messages to you have been from some of our male members. I'd like to offer a different perspective. I was at one time (long ago) married to a man who did and said many similar things that you described your husband doing. IMO husbands who act like that are bullies! And bullying is abuse! And IMO goes way beyond "caregiver fatigue"!!!

YOU did NOT ruin the summer!!! You had knee replacement surgery and that requires time to heal - usually up to 12+ months and your husband is ignoring that. The "no pain, no gain" mentality is counter productive when healing from joint replacement surgery and may actually be setting you back because it's further traumatizing your knee. His ridiculing you and pushing and even (it sounds like to me) threatening you is NOT helping you heal. Leaving a job that is in it's own way abusive is NOT being a quitter - it's being proactive and taking care of your self!

Do you have any family or close friends near by that you could go to? To take a break from all this stress? I would guess that getting a way even briefly (a week or two or ....?)would do a lot to help you relax and get a better handle on what you need to do to both finish healing and decide what is going to be the best for you in the future.

I am concerned about your physical and mental well-being. Do keep us up to date on how you are doing! :console2:
 
@Gingerbread .... now that school is starting back up, won't your husband be at work during the weekdays? Are you planning to drive yourself to therapy? Do you have any neighbors or friends that can take you until you can drive yourself? Or maybe one of your children (if your girls live nearby)?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom