Guest viewing is limited

TKR Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon

You are both right @Jamie and @Jockette .
In fact, after 4 (I believe it's been that long) days without one, I had to take one of my few remaining Oxycodone. Been laying here fighting it but had to give in.
I need to strike a balance. I can't do the long walk with the dog and the PT exercises or I pay for it. Every other day may be a good idea, or a shorter walk. Trouble is, my dog forges ahead (he's 10 & 1/2 and doesn't need a leash on my property) and looks at me like "come on Mom". He's so sweet though; because he's old he's slowing down too and waits for me anyway. My faithful companion :)
 
I bet your dog understands more than you think! Dogs are so intuitive.
I agree with the other moderators - take a step back. Doesn’t mean you are regressing, it’s just a bump in a road that has many bumps. Slow is the way to go. Hang in there.
 
Tonight our town is having their "2 months postponed" 4th of July fireworks celebration. Due to having to park and walk so far, I can't go. That and the fact that I wouldn't be comfortable in just a lawn chair without my ice. Tomorrow is my husband's father's side annual family reunion. I can't go to that either; it's at a cabin and I of course would be uncomfortable without my ice and comfortable chair.
I read on here many people going and doing things yet I can't go further than the doctor's office or PT without getting exhausted and extremely uncomfortable and/or getting mind numbing bone pain.
Am I an anomaly? When can I enjoy any semblance of normal life again? It just seems like I should be further along to enjoy some sort of something by now...:banghead:
 
Everyone heals at different rates. It took me forever to be able to sleep at night. Fatigue doesn’t resolve all that quickly. Rest up and heal now and you’ll be able to do the things you want with a good knee - in time. It’s an investment. You are not even 2 months into a 12 month recovery.
 
Everyone is different and heals different. You have had weeks of aggressive PT that did not agree with your knee so you also have to recover from that, as much as from the actually surgery.
 
@Sisterpat and @Jockette you're right. I also had that scare at the ER early on with my allergic reaction.
I am noticing something as well. The past two days I've been eating (for me, and lack of better terms) garbage, especially towards the evening, which is unlike me. Friday was pizza and today was hot dogs and then 2 large bowls of Cheerios. Both days I had large amounts of popcorn in the afternoon as well. appetite has returned with a vengeance. I don't usually go for the carbs like this. Last night I had the pain attack and had to take an Oxycodone and here I am again, needing one.
I completely believe this is related. I've been sticking to a mainly whole foods, Mediterranean style diet. Eating so much of these other things I am certain is throwing me off and causing an inflammatory response.
Does anyone have experience with experimenting with their diet and seeing a change in their inflammation/pain levels?
 
A healthy diet is VERY important both pre-op to help with the trauma of surgery and post-op to help with recovery. When you're filling up on all those carbs, you're probably not getting enough protein. It's one of the most important things for your diet right now. You can supplement with one of the Ensure or similar products if you don't feel like eating a lot of protein-rich foods. Of course, fruits and veggies are important while you're on pain medication and not as active as normal to help with regularity.

That said, we all needed some "comfort" foods in recovery. So don't feel guilty if you slip into those now and then. Mental health is just as important as physical health. For me, it was ice cream.
 
Gingerbread, been catching up on your progress and yes, diet DOES make a difference. I am the only cook in our family due to my husband’s blindness, and he has diabetes, and I have some general inflammation issues, so we eat a modified Mediterranean diet with mostly protein and veggies or fruit. Salad at dinner, for me at lunch, too, with some protein, and very low carbs, no dairy, sub almond milk although I do have yogurt and do okay.

My recovery from my recent TKR has progressed far better than #1, possibly partly due to our diet causing much less inflammation than last time. So, it would not surprise me if your junk food bout could be impacting your healing journey… good for you to consider that, too!
 
Having quite a bit of pain in my right foot and inner thigh currently. Icing my knee per usual; took a Tramadol an hour ago that isn't touching this pain.
I watched my diet today and slipped up only with a few french fries (hubby made some in the air fryer and I couldn't resist!). So trying to stick to Anti-inflammatory diet.
I also did not do my PT exercises.I walked my dog half of what I normally would, trying to be careful not to overdo it. I also sat on our physio-ball and rocked back and forth to guide my knee into some gentle flexion.
It's so hard to figure out what will cause distress and what doesn't.
I have changed the Tramadol to only twice a day. I really don't need it 3 times; so not seeing that as a factor.
Just trying to figure out how to make this terrible pain stop and not keep happening. I'm running out of Oxycodone (10 left), I know my MD won't give more. That's a scary feeling; but what is scarier is continuing to need it. I don't WANT to need it.
I'll be honest I am not consistent with the APAP (Tylenol) and Motrin schedule. I get scared of overloading my liver and figure I can "make due". It's obvious I need to adhere to the regime @Jamie suggested. It's within recommended standards!
You know what they say..nurses and doctors make the worst patients. I'm living proof LOL!
 
So I've been suffering all night. I thought by now this would be gone and it's not. I pray this goes away in the next hour or two because I absolutely don't want to take an Oxycodone in the daytime. It knocks me out, makes me foggy and nauseous.
I am very distressed because I didn't do any PT exercises yesterday. I wasn't even up and down the stairs as much as usual. I did clean my shower and change the cat litter, but those were at opposite times of the day.
I am supposed to go back to work from home in 2 weeks. I don't even see the doctor before then (I see him the middle of that week I return) because he's convinced I should be able to handle 40 hours chained to a desk. I know I sound pathetic but I'm in 9/10 pain now (with 1 minute reprieves). Last time I saw him he almost aspirated my knee but luckily the labs I had drawn came back before I got there and showed no sign of infection. He seems to think that's the only thing that should cause this much pain at this point (that was only 4 weeks out!).
This is miserable.
 
I’m sorry you are discouraged and your surgeon’s attitude isn’t helping any.
Don’t fret about not doing the exercises! Activities of daily living, like changing the cat litter are enough to keep you moving.
The Tylenol/Motrin schedule is only temporary and should not affect your liver. There is an herb that is very liver protective called Milk Thistle which I take every day. You might look into that.
Despite what your surgeon says, this is a long recovery. You just have to accept that fact. Things will get better with time.
 
I do have a combination Dandelion/Milk Thistle supplement that I have foregone since surgery because I was afraid it would dilute the pain meds too quickly. I have been taking it for 20 + years to help with the chronic lymphedema in my right lower leg (which has surprisingly subsided considerably since surgery! I am praying that side effect stays!).
It is comforting to hear that you take it along with NSAIDS and it does not take away their actions appreciably. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will resume a half dose.
I did not take any Oxycodone last night or today. I'm ok right now. Remembered to take my Turmeric with my Tylenol. That seems to help a bit!
I am also doing PT at my pace now. I am beginning to enjoy it-my legs are beginning to "crave" some of the stretches. Doing it the "Bonesmart" way is key.
Thank you so much for this forum. It is a Godsend for me. I hope my journey in some way can help others struggling as well.
 
Seem to have the "insomnia" troubles persisting. I'm at 7 weeks out today and is it still normal to need to be in bed by 8-8:30, then wide awake at 11-1, and again at 2 or 3? I spend my days watching old episodes of "ER" which TBH is awesome. I can't remember having time to indulge in mindless activity, I watch the hours tick away and feel guilty as housework sits undone. But then I have had recent days where I've done my PT, been out walking and tried some housework then suffered terribly in pain. How to find the happy medium?
Also, why is it I can rotate on the stationary bike both ways yet cannot move my leg to more than 80 degrees flexion on my own? PT had to force it to 90 the other day. I don't understand how I can move it on the bike but not otherwise? Anyone ever hear of that?
 
Sleep disruption can last for quite a while.....months, actually for some people. This is why we advise people not to be in a hurry to get back to work. Your body has endured an extreme trauma with the surgery and it takes time to right itself again. Fatigue is part of the deal. I'm glad you're getting plenty of rest. It's important for good healing.

Also, why is it I can rotate on the stationary bike both ways yet cannot move my leg to more than 80 degrees flexion on my own? PT had to force it to 90 the other day. I don't understand how I can move it on the bike but not otherwise? Anyone ever hear of that?
This is why we recommend a stationary bike for post-op exercises. It's gentle rotational movement is so much easier on your knee than other bending exercises. It's the fluid motion you're doing with the pedaling that makes it work so well. Your flexion will come in time. Just be sure to do gentle bends and stretches (maybe 4 or 5 of each) throughout the day. You want to keep challenging your knee's bend consistently, but not pushing to the point of real pain. Please don't let anyone force your knee for a bend measurement! This just inflames your healing tissues and it doesn't help you at all. It just makes the therapist happy to get a higher number. If you cannot do the bend yourself, it's not real ROM and your knee isn't ready to go there yet. Keep working with the bike. It's great exercise.
 
Jamie is right - I couldn’t sleep for months after both TKR’s. But sleep finally returned and now, no problem. Hang in there - it will get better.
 
I'm going to talk to my PT on Monday about getting a stationary bike and which one to get. Hubby has been looking online and has some ideas. Not sure whether to get a recumbent style or regular. I was worried about spending the $$ for a new one. So far the only ones on Offer Up are still rather expensive.
 
A lot of people with back issues feel the recumbent bike is more comfortable. It's really a personal choice.
 
I'm going to talk to my PT on Monday about getting a stationary bike and which one to get. Hubby has been looking online and has some ideas. Not sure whether to get a recumbent style or regular. I was worried about spending the $$ for a new one. So far the only ones on Offer Up are still rather expensive.

A good way to go is to buy refurbished commercial health club equipment. I have a treadmill and elliptical that were about 30 -40% the cost of buying new.

They are built to withstand many hours of use a per day, so a nicely refurbished recumbent bike would last the normal household many years without problems.

Search exercise equipment sellers in your area and check to see if they are selling refurbished stuff.
 
This is why we recommend a stationary bike for post-op exercises. It's gentle rotational movement is so much easier on your knee than other bending exercises. It's the fluid motion you're doing with the pedaling that makes it work so well. Your flexion will come in time. Just be sure to do gentle bends and stretches (maybe 4 or 5 of each) throughout the day. You want to keep challenging your knee's bend consistently, but not pushing to the point of real pain.
I definitely found that for myself.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom