Guest viewing is limited

THR ghost blade has a new hip

Hi all , its been a while just had my post operation check up with my surgeon … but my surgeon wasn't there and I got a junior doctor(not even a surgeon) that didn't know nothing about THR and couldn't even answer any bloody questions.
Basically all he could tell me was my wound looks good and my x-rays came back good.
He didn't even check what movement I had in my hip or ask me about how my nerve pain was going.
I never asked my surgeon about what type of metal my new Hips were made out of so I asked this doctor and he told me to ask the surgeon next time I see him which is in six weeks time.
I googled something about having antibiotics before going to see a Dentist after having a THR so I asked this doctor and he said at my age I should be alright in this day and age , but will leave a note on my file so my surgeon can let me know at my next check up.
I was going to ask other questions but there was no point , I might of well just went to my GP.
I suppose the only good thing was X-rays were good according to the report.
But over the last couple weeks I have made very good progress I'm only using a walking Stick and going to the pool everyday and going for decent walks... My GP last week said I could drive now which makes getting around easier now.
Still having a lot of pain on my operated hip when I stand on that leg only but it is getting better slowly so I am happy with that.
Physio told me I'm not ready to go back to work on the 16th yesterday as planned so I am now trying to go back to work on the first Monday of November.
Things are heading in the right direction now with recovery ...yay
 
How frustrating that doctor visit must have been.
Consider calling the office of your OS, explaining your frustration to a member of his care team, expressing you have several questions you want answered. I'm sure they could advise, rather than wait another month and a half.

Great news though on your x-rays! Incision too. Happy for you that things are heading in the right direction.
May it only get better. A great week to you!
@ghostblade
 
:yahoo:glad you popped in.
Was wondering how you were doing...still lots of healing happening but sounds like you are well on your way to double hippy happy!:tada:
 
Hi All ,
Can I ask on here , I read an article on the internet a few weeks ago if I go to the dentist I will need to take Antibiotics before the visit now since I have had a THR, is this true??. Was going to ask my surgeon but since he didn't show up to my appointment and the hospital doctor I saw couldn't answer my question and told me to ask my surgeon which is kinda of frustrating as I was suppose to see my surgeon not him.
Both my feet have swollen up in the last couple of days which is annoying and irritable.
But I'm loving being able to drive now like 5mins to the local pool to do some laps in the pool :-).
Is it normal to drive a manual car for about 20-30mins then start to get a lot of pain in the hips? just went to see a friend and was really saw the last 10mins of the drive .. Then was in quite a bit of pain for a few hours after getting there.
Just worried as I'm supposed to be starting back at work on November 5th and my drive to work is about 30mins long.
 
Hi there!
The protocol on antibiotics for dental visits varies. Your OS and dentist may not even share the same viewpoint. Unless you prefer to follow their advice, or one over the other, I think some of us are left to make an informed decision on our own. Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library. Hope this helps...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ic-concerning-prophylactic-antibiotics.26431/

I was uncomfortable sitting in the car for longer than 30-45 minutes for the first few months. Gradually it got better. Try using an ice pack for longer drives. I did and it helped, or served as a distraction :shrug: don't care which since it brought me comfort. If you try it and it works for you, you could always bring a small cooler with an ice pack for your return trip....until you get beyond it being a nuisance.

Continue to ice when sore and elevate for the swelling you described.
Hope you have a great weekend!
@ghostblade
 
Last edited:
:wave:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well, double hippy.
Leave us an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear.
One more week until your return to work....I hope it's a good one! :)
@ghostblade
 
Hi @Layla ,thank you wow 2 month anniversary wish I could say it went quick.
Not going back to hospital physio anymore as I'm not achieving anything from just doing the same old exercises they get me to do each week then be extremely sore for the rest of the day.
I'm delaying going back to work until 19th November which is what my new physiotherapist recommends which I started seeing this week at a private clinic.
My new physiotherapist only does Hydrotherapy in a heated pool so I'm doing most of my exercises in the pool now , along with lots of walking and some swimming Mon-Fri.
Im still doing some walking at the park and the odd stretching exercises at home but only the ones I feel comfortable doing.
And still icing throughout the day.
Driving a little further each week that goes by.
My only problem I really have is sleeping as I can't sleep on my back well until I am so dam tired I fall asleep which is like 3am in the morning.
Would love to be able to sleep on my side but I always wake up in pain after about an hours sleep and thats on boths sides which sucks.
I do put a pillow between my legs when I try to sleep on my side but still wake up in pain.
Work not really happy I'm not back at work already but I dont feel I'm up to it yet and I need to put my health before work , I need the money but I dont want to go back to work then hurt myself and then more time off because I hurt myself.
I told my boss I'm hoping to be back 19th November which is what my new physiotherapist recommends so hopefully I can do that.
But overall I feel like I'm making heaps of progress which is a nice feeling for a change.
The future looks brighter.
 
Thanks for the update. I'm happy to read you quit the hospital physio, especially because you mentioned you always felt sore afterward. I hope that's not the case with the water therapy. Since it's lower impact on muscles and joints, it makes it easier to over do it. Listen to your body, let it be your guide.

Hopefully the side sleeping will become more comfortable with time. All you can do is keep trying. It's good you have a few more weeks off work since you don't feel ready to return yet anyway. Reading that you feel you've made heaps of progress and that your future looks bright says it all. May it only get brighter!

Please stay in touch. We love updates and they are encouaging and inspirational to those following behind you.
A great rest of the week to you!
@ghostblade
 
:wave:@ghostblade
Won't depress you with the time it took me to get a good night's sleep.
It could be a record on BoneSmart:bored:
I also could not work out how to get comfortable for long and back sleeping was frustrating!
It did finally happen however, so keep the faith!
Hope you have a great weekend!
 
Hi @Layla just an update, been and done 3 Hydrotherapy sessions so far and love it , lots of different exercises to do or not do as he doesn't push anything that I'm not comfortable with painwise.
Being in the heated pool after hydrotherapy session is just heavenly as I just sit in it for an hour or so just relaxing.
Still using the walking stick and moving pretty good.
I am able to walk around the house without the walking stick most days now well atleast up until night time.
Probably going to try walking without the walking stick around some parks next week to see how I go just a little nervous about it.

Hi @Mojo333 yeah I think I'm going to be a while trying to get a good nights sleep. Absolutely hate sleeping on my back, but now with all the progress I'm making with everything else I guess it will just happen one night and I will sleep all night on my side.
I'm curious now how long did it take you to get a good nights sleep.

Have a fantastic week
 
Um...you really don't want to know.
I think it was at the END of month four!:groan:
I honestly thought it would never happen.
I'm also guessing that all the no sleep/bad sleep several years pre-op and hard to figure it all out for being comfortable after surgery got my circadian rhythm out of whack.
It got longer and better after that.
Now I sleep very well!
Keep the faith, @ghostblade :friends:
 
Thanks for updating!
I'm happy you're enjoying and finding relief with hydrotherapy. Refreshing to hear you're not being pushed.
Sounds like you may be successfully moving away from the walking stick. Good for you! Slow and easy is getting you where you want to be. Keep up the good work and enjoy the rest of the week!
@ghostblade
 
Well I can't believe this day has finally come.
I start back at work in 1 hour and 20mins and being able to catch up with everyone.
Doctor told me not to do anymore than 5 hours a day for the rest of this year and he would review it at the end of the year.
Doctor also told me if I can only manage 3 hours a day then only do 3 hours as its up to me.
He has given me a medical certificate stating above info.
My employer is also happy for me to do what ever hours I feel able to do aswell.
I better get a move on have to drive to work now.
 
Good luck on our first day at work! Don't push yourself and do reduce the hours if needed. Ease into this. Sounds like your employer is on board - well done!
 
:dancy:great job and good news, @ghostblade!
Do half of what you think you can, and you'll stay out of the ODIC!

:roseshwr:
 
Best of luck! You'll have to let us know how it goes.
Wonderful news that your employer is agreeable to your OS's recommendation. You're lucky.
We read many stories of member's struggles finding a balance between their OS's recommendations and their employers requirements. Hope you're able to get some rest after work as you're easing back in.
A great week to you!
@ghostblade
 
Good luck with the work. I wish I could do 5 hits a day up to Christmas but not possible.

I am thinking of switching physio for water therapy. For you what are the main differences? Thanks!
 
Hi all , first week back at work done and dusted and it was pretty good surprisingly I only did 5hrs each day Monday to Friday and to be honest thats about all I could handle as I have done a lot of walking at work.
Straight after work I go to the heated public pool for an hour or two to relax and do some mild exercises and a bit of swimming.
Still doing hydrotherapy aswell.
But by the time I get home I'm exhausted and don't move much at all.
Still struggling to sleep though and getting up to go to work is hard on a couple of hours sleep a day.
@SurreyGirl for me the main differences was a great physiotherapist he is fantastic way better than the hospital physio routine which wasn't achieving anything and usually left the hospital very sore.
Also being able to do a lot more in the heated pool and different exercises, low impact and off course less weight bearing helps to.
Just be careful you don't over do it in the pool as when you go to get out of the pool you will be full weight bearing again.
And its just relaxing in a heated pool instead of being in the hospital physio rooms.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Thanks for the update above. It sounds like you handled work well.
Thankfully you were able to work five hr days. I hope this week went well for you also.
Enjoy the weekend!
@ghostblade
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom