THR ghost blade has a new hip

ghostblade

Country
Australia Australia
I saw my GP in November had xrays and was told I had AVN. I first saw surgeon Feb 2018 , had Bilateral Core Depression 14 March 2018 which didn't work so was told I needed right & left THR. 20th June 2018 I had Anterior THR on my right side and I'm six weeks on from that and all going good walking as best as I can due to the pain still in my left hip which still needsTHR ,driving car from 4 weeks on and returning to work next week for 3 weeks as my left hip THR is booked in to be done 29th August 2018. its been a tough year but was pleasantly surprised as to how quick it all happened as I'm going through the public hospital system.

When my OS told me it was time for THR when I was ready, he said the wait would normally be about 6 weeks.
Well, I wasn't ready then and when I went back in April to say I was ready and assuming I would get a surgery date 6 weeks later was told he was retiring from surgery and was already all booked up. I did have a choice of a new OS but having gotten a recommendation from my boss and doing research on his reputation, decided to go with an OS who, because he has an excellent reputation, is booked up months in advance. The initial consult was 2 months later, really felt comfortable with him and how he answered my questions but he was booked out 3 months in advance. He gave me the option of going with someone else in the practice but I didn't want to start all over again. I had to wait another 3 weeks for my primary doctor to clear me for surgery because she was on vacation and the doc who took over for her would not clear me - so my surgery date was 4 months out from the initial consult in June - surgery is scheduled for October 23rd.

I'm spending the time getting prepared and getting everything in order and just coming to a place of acceptance. Finding this website and reading about all the different recoveries is helpful so I can be prepared for my journey.

welcome 79.jpg
@ghostblade, so glad you're here and so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. As you can see, I have moved your post and its response from moon2stars thread into a thread of your own where you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve, and you will not highjack her thread.

You'll be hearing from other members soon, I'm sure. You may post in other members' threads but your post should be in reference to what is going on with them just as members who post in your thread should be addressing your questions and concerns.

Take care and keep us posted, WE CARE!

Ooops, I replied to the wrong thread. Sorry bout that!

Glad everything is working out for you.

Hi, @ghostblade, so encouraging to read that your RTHR went well and you've got the left one scheduled at the end of August. Once you're had this surgery, you should heal quickly, given that the right hip replacement went well, and then you'll be on your way back to your old life by 2019. Best of luck!

Hi @Barbaraj thank you for your kind words , I am so looking forward to 2019 and a new lease on life.
Just being able to move around without pain is so worth the 2 previous operations and my Left THR coming up on the 29th August.

Hi everyone , getting hold of my surgeon is really hard through the public system and when I do get to see him between my surgeries I have all these questions but forget to ask all of them during my appointments.
Is it still normal to have a lot of swelling 6 weeks on from surgery no pain but quite swollen.
And what would be the time frame for a full recovery , have been told 3 months is a good target when I should be able to do most things before I had the pain in my hip. But friends of mind have said a full recovery could be over a year. Only asking as I wont see my surgeon until my next surgery.

Hi @ghostblade
I see you have a lot of questions. Please read the Recovery Guidelines below. We normally don't leave them until you're on the Recovery side but I think the info may answer a lot of your questions. Come back with any remaining inquiries afterward and we'll be happy to share opinions with you.
A great weekend to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Layla , thank you some very helpful information there , I'm just over six weeks since my June 20th Right THR so this information is really helpful before I have my Left THR on 29th Aug.

Duh! :hissy: I didn't notice you had surgery.
You should have a Recovery thread going. You'd be getting a lot more support
over there while you're healing and waiting on your next surgery. I don't know that many venture back over to the pre-op side often while in recovery.

I'm going to see if this can be moved for you, or if you should just start a new thread over there? To Be Continued...

@ghostblade I moved your thread to the recovery side as you have already had your first surgery. You will get much more input from recovering members here.

Welcome ghostblade.
Is it still normal to have a lot of swelling 6 weeks on from surgery no pain but quite swollen.

I have one word for that. ICE:ice:
Should've been, still should...all you can!
And what would be the time frame for a full recovery , have been told 3 months is a good target when I should be able to do most things before I had the pain in my hip. But friends of mind have said a full recovery could be over a year. Only asking as I wont see my surgeon until my next surgery.
Month four was my big turnaround but as things progressed...less and less restricted.
Full year before hips were not a constant thought!
I did mine both together.
But it has been life changing and worth every minute of recovery for me!:egypdance:

Hi @Mojo333 wow both at the same time , I did ask my surgeon if I could have a Bilateral THR but he said no and would not budge from that decision.
I just wanted the one surgery so I could get back to work asap but also one operation is less risk than having two surgeries.
Instead I went back to work today for the first time since my Right THR on June 20th but that's only for the next 3 weeks till my left THR on the 29th August then another 6 weeks off work.
I do ice my hip as much as I can as it is still quite swollen.
I bet it has been life changing I cant wait to be able to do everything I used to do without the pain.

I was more careful about how I did things, especially lifting excessively heavy items etc. But I was definitely back to life in a good way.
I went back to work, in a supervisory way only, after 6 weeks. Way to early honestly - bills to pay!
But life without hip pain is worth all of it for me.:loveshwr:

One recovery rolling into another.
I agree that Bilaterals are brave souls, I couldn't do it!
However, sometimes I think the ones who are strong enough to "go back for more"
are the truly brave. One good thing is the anxiety of not knowing what to expect hopefully
eases the second time around. Just think how great you'll be feeling in a few months when the
pain is gone! I'm excited for you.
A great week to you!
@ghostblade

Last edited:
Hey ghost blade.
Wondering if work was whipping you out.
I know it did a number on me...my stamina was definitely lacking.
Sending you healing mojo and hoping you are getting psyched for number two!
Have a good restful weekend!

Hi @Mojo333 , work hasn't been to bad a bit tiring but loving being back at work I need to pay the bills, but I must admit I needed the weekends to recoup and rest.
I'm excited for my next surgery and cant wait to get back to a normal life , I took it for granted that I could walk without pain before.
Battling a chest infection right now (but getting on top of it with doctors help) lots of people at work sick so as of today I'm staying away from work as my surgery is next Wednesday and I don't want to be sick or even worst they cancel my surgery for being sick. I cant afford to miss my surgery as if I'm not back at work by mid October full time I will be struggling to pay my mortgage and then things will get bad for me...so hopefully all goes well like my first THR in June.
And cheers for the healing mojo

I do understand the financial burden, I too needed to pay my bills.
One week...and you will be a double hippy!!
Two new hips and no more hip pain!
I do hope your job is not too strenuous...mid October, oh my stars....
Hang in there...I'm rooting for you.

Hi @Mojo333 my job is pretty physical but my employer has been brilliant with me and I can do as many hours as I feel up to doing each week while I'm recovering and just do desk work till I'm fully recovered.
Only 35 hours till my operation and feeling pretty anxious , not about the actual surgery but just hoping all goes well.
I'm glad surgery is 35 hours away as I am just about done with this pain… the pain is so much worst on my non operated side I can hardly sleep , eat walk and I live a pretty awful life due to not being able to do much.
My GP keeps offering me a stronger pain relief but I kept refusing as I don't like taking lots of medication.
But I look forward to 2019 as it has to be a lot better than this year,

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom