Guest viewing is limited

THR ghost blade has a new hip

Glad things have eased for you @ghostblade ! Easy does it on the PT - really not needed and you certainly don't want that pain flaring up again.

Yes, your wound must be fully healed before any swimming or pool exercise. In addition be very careful with exercise in water. You are weightless and can easily over do.
 
Saw the P.T last Wednesday and he has given me new exercises to do , but I'm only doing what I can manage without to much pain.

Please keep in mind -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Please don't do anything that causes you pain. Would hate to see you suffer a setback.
Wishing you a great week as you continue healing.
@ghostblade
 
Hey friend:wave:
I know recovery can seem oh so tedious and slow when you're in it...especially if you are the active sort.
It would drag by for me:bored:
But I think you are doing wonderful for not even one month out from major leg construction!:ok:
Keep your roll slow...and things will get better faster is what I learned (often the hard way!)
It will be a memory soon enough!:)
 
Hi All , just asking about driving.. I drive a manual car and was wondering what time frame would it be safe to drive. This THR operation was on my Right Hip which is the clutch pedal for driving in Australia.
After my left leg THR I was able drive just after 4 weeks but I'm assuming accelerator and brake pedal are easier to do than the clutch. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are?
 
I've never driven a clutch so I can't comment on that but I did have my right hip replaced
and was released to drive at my 3 week post op appt. I think it has more to do with being off the narcotics
than anything.

Wondering if you've had a post op appt yet? Your OS would best answer this question for you, but I understand your curiosity about others in trying to gauge when you'll feel "comfortable" driving. :driver:
I hope you get the green light soon. A great rest of the week to you. :)
@ghostblade
 
Hi no I haven't had my post op appt yet I don't see my surgeon till 16th of October where he does xrays etc.
I did go back to the hospital 2 weeks after surgery but that was only seeing the hospital doctor to check wound site to make sure it was healing ok.
On my first THR back in June this year at my 6 week post op appt I asked if I could drive he said yes of course I can but I didn't actually ask if I could of driven any earlier as I didnt have to at the time.
I feel I know when I can drive safely but don't want to be driving if it breaches my insurance if I have an accident.
It's just dam impossible to get hold of my surgeon as he is in the public hospital system.
I'm not in any rush to drive as I'm not going back to work till mid October if all going well.
Was just wondering if there was any other Australians from Queensland on this forum that has had THR and knows about driving times frames after a THR.
 
Hi , can someone tell me if possible after 4 weeks left THR is it normal to be unable to put any weight on my Left leg.
I'm still having to use two crutches and over the last 5 days I have had extreme pain in my left side groin area that wasn't there before like this and its like before I had the left THR operation,
Just wondering because when I had my Right THR done in June this year I was able to put weight on it pretty much straight away with little pain and was down to one crutch in about two weeks after that operation.
Man this journey is full of ups and downs and right now I'm beaten its just to hard.
I have battled through severe depression 15 years ago was locked in mental health hospital due to my risk of self harm to myself it was a long hard battle to recover from and only been off my depression meds for about 2 years now but right now I'm heading back down that track again which nearly destroyed me last time.
I am not myself right now and I just cant seem to get motivated to do anything right now and mid October I have to go back to work which I don't even know how I will do that considering I can hardly move yet alone drive to work and work all day.. and I need to work because I have no money left and maxed out my credit card.
Sorry for unloading my problems on here
 
No, please don't be distraught.:console2:
Lots of folks suffer from groin pain and other pains following THR but not to the extent of not being able to put ANY weight on your leg one month out.
Lets ask @Josephine to weigh in but I am certain she will ask you many questions.
Have you called your OS to say you aren't sure you can wait a few more weeks and are unable to put any weight on leg at all?
Hang in there @ghostblade , I am sure we will get this figured.
 
Aww, I'm so sorry you're struggling with pain.
I agree with Mojo that it would be wise to check with your surgeon.
Try not to stress about it because I'm sure there's an answer and a solution.
Rather than sit around worrying, you'd be working toward resolving the problem by making that phone call.

Josephine will connect with you, but she's been off for a couple of days and it may take her time to catch up. When was, or is your post op exam? If you already went, wondering what they had to say about your concerns?

Try not to think about work and all the rest right now, you have a few weeks. Just concentrate on speaking with your OS and go from there.

Please keep us posted, we're here for you and we care. You're not alone.
Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind and answers.
@ghostblade
 
Josephine is away from the forum for a couple of days, but I'm sure she'll respond when she returns. In the meantime, I went back through your recovery thread and can see that the pain and inability to stand or walk you're describing in your post today appears to have just come on recently. Is that true?

What has your activity level been lately? At times in your recovery, it seemed that you were pushing yourself to be up and doing normal activities in addition to therapy exercises, so it is quite possible that you've irritated your tender hip. It really needs time to heal before you do these things. For the first couple of months, all you really need in terms of exercise is a bit of walking. Any increases in activity should be very gradual. You're still healing inside! Please go back to the beginning of your recovery thread and re-read all the recovery articles that were posted for you. Pay special attention to the charts that show the time frames for healing. At 4 weeks, you are just barely out of surgery.

My suggestion is for you to scale all your activity back for a couple of weeks. Ice, elevate and rest as much as possible. Take something, even if it's an over-the-counter medication, for your pain on a regular schedule. If after the first week or 10 days, you're not seeing improvements in your pain and the ability to walk, then you need to either contact your GP or go to the Emergency Room if you are not able to see your surgeon.

The short answer to your question is that it's not the norm for you not to be able to put any weight on your surgery leg at 4 weeks out. More than likely the problem stems from overdoing things, but the only way to know that is to completely rest that leg and see if things improve. If they don't, then the situation needs further attention to determine if there is a different problem.

If you find yourself going down a road to depression, please don't feel you're alone with this happening. Post op depression is actually quite common and it can be treated. Please contact your mental health doctor or your GP and discuss this before it goes too far. There are things that can be done to help with this type of depression and it normally is a temporary condition.
 
Last edited:
Just noticed in reading back that your post op isn't until October 16th.
I would imagine if you called the office of your OS and explained your situation they could squeeze you in.
Try it, please.
 
Hi @Layla I had Physio on Wednesday at hospital and he is concerned with me and is going to try and get hold of my Surgeon to see if he can see me any earlier than the 16th October , but also said he probably wont see me any earlier being a public hospital.
I went to my GP Friday afternoon and he sent me for blood tests just to rule out infection which he highly doubts will be the case but just wants to check anyway.
He also sent me to have X-rays to check if all is ok.
My GP said if I don't here from him by Tuesday then all is good with tests/x-rays.
I have tried getting hold of my surgeon and leave messages but never gets back to me.
My GP has increased my Pain medication to see if that's helps control some of the pain.
Hi @Jamie I am doing what my physio says to do but I don't think I was over doing it but my GP has said to take it easy and scale back exercises for 10-14 days and see how I feel after that , and if no better come back and see him.
I have been icing my hip heaps throughout the day.
After speaking to my GP ( He is a wonderful Doctor very down to earth ) spoke to me about my depression history and reminded me about reaching out to friends and family again like last time and just talk , before going the track of anti depressants again , and he just reminded me I can get through all this and it just takes time.
I will be alright some day I do try and stay positive , but some days its just dam hard.
sorry for rambling on
 
Hi @ghostblade
I'm glad to hear you're being proactive. It's the best you can do. Good for you!
I find it encouraging your GP isn't suspecting infection and is taking the appropriate measures to rule it out.
Hopefully you will soon feel the relief in crossing that possibility off the list along with confirmation all looks well on the x-rays. I hope the meds are effective in controlling the pain as you continue to seek answers.

Please consider setting aside Physio for at least a couple weeks. What do you have to lose? Possibly the pain will begin to subside. Isn't it worth a try?

Here's a refresher on the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

In regard to icing, Josephine, the Nurse Director, always recommends icing sessions are no less the 45-60 minutes, several times per day. Target 4x daily, more if possible. Give it your best shot as it can effectively help relieve pain.

I hope you take your doctors advice and reach out to family and friends. Don't forget we're here also. The lights never go out here, there's always someone around. Don't hesitate to reach out for support and encouragement. We care. Continued prayers for healing and peace of mind.

To brighter days! :SUNsmile:
 
So sorry to read that things have been so tough for you, @ghostblade--pain plus depression sounds really tough to manage and I hope you're able to get some help very soon. Reaching out to friends and family is certainly a good thing, I've found it a real help to chat with people on this forum and certainly I've had friends and family members checking in on me so far. For me, at only one day out of the hospital, it's very early days yet and I know there will definitely be some bumps along the road. Family and friends don't have endless patience, I know, but I'm hoping to continue reaching out to them and not waiting for them to contact me. I am sure everyone's recovery is different, so we all need differing ways of approaching recovery and what will work. It is a long slog, but you've recovered from one hip replacement successfully already, so I hope you believe, despite some setbacks, that you ARE going to recover successfully from this one as well. Hang in there, and realize that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
 
You've taken some great positive steps! Good job. Your GP sounds like a great resource for you and it was good to see him echoing the advice you were getting from us. Sometimes therapists just don't quite understand that exercise isn't always the answer. I especially like your GP's advice about reaching out to those around you for support for any depression that's creeping in. Remember that it is common after joint replacement surgery and it's temporary. Things get better. And, remember that the type of support you need is why BoneSmart is here! Lean on us....you have an entire BoneSmart family here who understands how you feel and what you're going through. Talk to us about your day, what your challenges are and let us know even your small successes. Your friends here will "get it" and will be there to support you.
 
:wave:Hope today has been a better day! I am so thankful it is Friday because I'm pretty sure it will take me until Monday before I like people again. I must have been a magnet for rude mean people this week:skep:
Hope your weekend is sweet!:yes:
By the way, The Post Op Blues are very common...many of us on the site have experienced it and their is a whole thread devoted to it in the Social room.
 
Last edited:
Dropping by to say Hi :hi: and wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling better. Wishing you a peaceful weekend. :)
@ghostblade
 
Hi All , Saturday all I did was rest and ice with no physio exercises, I was real lazy but it felt good.
Today Sunday was all the same Ice and no exercises, except I went to the supermarket with my wife and walked around with crutches while doing the grocery shopping.
Pain wise has been good last two days I'm assuming it is also because of no physio exercises or maybe increase in pain medication.
Still cant put weight on my operated side which is really frustrating as I have to go back to work mid October.
But will rest it for a few more days and hopefully xrays were all good.
 
:happydance:Happy one month hipversary for lefty...slightly belated.

You've got this, ghostblade.
Just stay chilled out.:ice:
 
I'm happy to hear you had a relaxing weekend and your pain has eased a bit.
Prayers all are good on the x-rays. Thankfully you still have a couple more weeks
before your return to work. Stay in touch, we'll be here to listen, support and encourage you.
Wishing you a peaceful week!
@ghostblade
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom