TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

@JennyLynne , so nice to hear from you. How are you doing, my friend? And are you still coming to Wichita to see the "Company who rules the world?" Or have you already come and gone?

Roxie

Roxie, I see you read my update.
No trip to the "mother ship" yet, will keep you posted!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Wonderful report and very encouraging to those of us still climbing uphill! I appreciate your kind comments on our posts. Come on over when you get ready to hike the Appalachian Trail... I'll have supper ready when you get here!

Great report! I am so glad your doing so well. No Benton of IT band issues, has that settled out?

@wberry , the IT band still tightens up from time to time and hurts. It hadn't hurt for a couple days and then in the night last night, it woke me up hurting. I think it was probably my very steep hike to the top of El Dorado Lake Dam. We'll see what Dr. W. says next week at my check-up. I suppose it's possible he might want me to go to PT for it but we'll see since it is ever so slowly improving. I got a foam roller and it seems to be what has helped.

Countdown is on for you, my friend!

Roxie

Hope I didn't junks you by asking about it. And yes, a week from today I am going to get fixed. Spoke to the hospital today also.

I remember for a bit I thought my problem was an IT band, but when the knee cap actually got stuck and pulled down and them popped loose, I knew that wasn't the case. I wonder if heat would help along with ice and stretching.

@Kansas Teacher I check in on Tuesday around 9:00 am but surgery is not until around 1:45pm. I will probably be out until that night. They said I should be there thru Thursday at least. Said I would be in 9 tower afterwards.

@wberry , Wesley is a big hospital and has several "buildings" all contained in one but I have visited people in Tower 9 before. If you're lucky, you'll have a nice view of the Wichita skyline but, if you're not lucky, you could just have a nice view of the top of a building somewhere or an alley. I will not visit you on Tuesday -- as a matter of fact, I will be in KC that day doing my 6-month check (a month early) with Dr. Wingerter. I'll be up Wednesday though. If you are up to it or think about it, you might message me your room number and cell if you'd like me to call before I come. Hopefully, they'll have you pretty comfortable on Wednesday.

Roxie

Never been there personally. I will be really anxious to see what me knee is like when I use it on Wednesday. I probably won't be able to tell much due to the swelling initially. If the knee cap doesn't catch and the knee feel tight I will be a happy camper.

Good luck on your appointment, hope all looks fantastic for you. I will get back into it soon and hopefully my 6 moth will be where it should be now by then.

Sorry to hear about your mom in wberry's thread. I don't know the trouble but I hope she's doing better.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

Yes, hope your Mom is doing okay and you had a safe trip. Thanks again for the wonderful brownies. I started munching on them again today. That pain med nausea bought sent me for a loop. I really like the paper cup wrap idea for cooking them you used. Appreciated your company and the brownies so much. God bless you for your taking the time and the kindness.

My goodness. I am a bad, bad, bad, bad bonesmartie. I haven't posted since August 25. I had my 6 month check-up on Tuesday -- actually closer to my 5 month point but rescheduled due to the fact that we will be out of town when the 6 month visit was originally scheduled. All went well and I was given an x-ray, examination and a pronouncement of good knee health! The little soreness I've had on the medial side that I thought was bursitis actually was some minor tendinitis and I am to just continue using the Voltaren gel until it settles down. My IT band has pretty much settled down although I'm sure I could make it flare up with crazy excessive activity. It's much much better than it was though. My doctor said that even though I'm basically healed, some of these little annoying issues take 9 months to a year to sort themselves out. I also still have a bit of discoloration on my knee and on the outside of my calf that I asked him about. He said it was basically caused by circulation and should eventually go away in time but there was a chance it wouldn't.

I am still walking most days 2 miles or more, occasionally substituting or adding a bike ride as well. I do not regularly take tylenol or any nsaids anymore either other than rubbing the topical voltaren gel on the tendinitis about twice a day if I remember to. I'm overjoyed that I can wear my long pants and jeans again without it irritating the scar.

I realized the other day that I am fully at the point where I am glad I had this surgery. I can do pretty much everything I want to do -- bike, walk, hike, shop (my personal favorite!) and do it without excruciating pain. I asked him about my other knee because he had included that in a couple of the x-rays he took. He said the cartilage was thinning but not severely so. It looked about the same as it did when I went to him for my initial visit back in April so it hasn't deteriorated more which is good news. I am hopeful that the fact that I now have a normal heel-toe gait and no limp with help the other knee last longer. He likes to see his patients annually after a tkr to check the implant so I will see him again next October although I can call if I have any problems in the meantime.

I was thrilled to have a moment to stop in and wish @wberry well the day after his knee revision. I wished I could have stayed longer. My Mom had just been hospitalized in Nebraska and I needed to get there so had to rush off. Mom is almost 80 and had a tkr in early February. She did reasonably well but isn't very active and still limps a bit and complains about stiffness. But the reason for her hospitalization was some severe digestive issues and we finally found out today that they found e. coli in her blood and salmonella in her stool sample. I am hopeful that, now that they know what it is, they can treat her correctly and she'll improve. Anyway, I am still in Nebraska and that is why I had to cut my visit with wberry shorter than I wanted to.

Roxie

You are doing fantastic, now if I can to where you are now, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Don't worry about not being able to stay longer. I enjoyed just having you come by, and the brownies.

Great update. Now that they've figured out you mom's trouble, I hope they can find a good fix and she'll be back to good health soon.

But that sounds like an inappropriate leakage is going on. Maybe a perforation where there shouldn't be one?

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015