Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

That's a thought @PolarBear60 . I didn't think about a perforation. However, the doctor now thinks that what they thought was e. coli in her blood is, in fact, also salmonella like they found in the stool sample. He said the two look similar in the lab but he has to confirm it and we haven't heard for sure.

You all are so nice on this site and I love it. It has been immensely helpful during this long arduous recovery. If it's okay, I've decided I'm not going to sign off for good for awhile yet. I'd still like to come on and give monthly updates at least until my first year is up and check up on friends like @wberry , @JennyLynne , @tigz and many others.

Roxie
 
I hope it isn't a perforation. As I understand it, those are tricky to find and fix. I'm just glad they're puzzling it out.
 
Well, back to it being e.coli in the blood and salmonella in the stool. Good news is, everything seems to be improving this morning which is much more pleasant.

My knee has had more rest than it needs the past few days since all I've done is sit in a hospital room. I'll be glad when I can get back into a routine too.

Roxie
 
Hi Roxie

I'm sorry your moms not well. I hope she continues to improve now. Poor lady must be so uncomfortable.

Thinking of you
Ann x
 
I hope that is a good change. Are you back from Colorado then. Sounds like your in the past 6 month guide window. Maybe in another 6 months you will join the "I never think about my knee club", unless you plan to get the other done. Two people I know who had theirs done this year are going back in to get the other din in the next month or so. I would have been doing the same, but the revising of the right was needed first.

Hope your Mom is at least feeling better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I haven't posted in over a month so am way past due. I am at about the 6 1/2 month point now. Some days, I am at the "I never think about my knee club," but other days I still get reminders that it's there. Today happens to be one of those days. The weather is damp, windy and chilly and those days seem to still bother the tendons and ligaments around my knee along with the joint in the "good knee." I would like to think that eventually that won't be the case in the new knee but I guess we'll see.

We spent a week camping in Colorado then spent about 3 weeks with our daughter and her family in Phoenix. My knee got a lot stronger while I was in Phoenix due to the fact that the 15-month old (a very tiny 15-month old, only 18 lbs.) wanted his Grammy to carry him around all the time. Of course I did and it really didn't bother my knee and it felt so strong by the time I left. I think the dry weather there helped too. Unfortunately, I came home to cool damp weather and it gets achy some of the time here. When it aches, it's mostly the tendon on the medial side that seems to get sore. The IT band issue is mostly resolved although can get a bit tight from time to time. The good news is that it never wakes me up anymore and I generally sleep very well now. Does anyone know if the medial tendon (whatever it's called) will improve on its own or is it going to take PT? I walk well without a limp and it mostly hurts when I start out. After I've walked a bit and loosened it up, it doesn't bother much. At my check-up, the OS told me it would still take a bit for all of those issues to resolve and that a lightweight brace (when I would be doing a lot of walking) might help in the meantime.

He also gave me a prescription for Voltaren gel to rub on it which did help but, unfortunately, caused my skin to break out so I discontinued using it. I generally just take an occasional Tylenol arthritis strength if I need it although did take one Aleve this morning because I was stiff due to the weather. That seems to work well for me and some days I don't take anything.

I hope all of you are doing well.

Roxie
 
It's good to hear things are going well and your doing so much traveling! Retirement is looking good...
 
Nice that carrying your grandchild around strengthens your knee. Maybe you need to move there so you feel good all the time. All kidding aside, glad to hear you doing well.
 
@Slainte , we have actually considered moving there but, when we're there, we miss the two grandkids who live near us in Kansas. When we're in Kansas, we miss the two in Phoenix. I can't win! @KarriB , I highly recommend retirement if you can manage it.

Crazy Kansas weather. Snow in the northwest corner, tornadoes in other areas and high winds expected overnight in Wichita tonight. No wonder my knee has been complaining today.

Roxie
 
Glad you are doing well. I just got back from two weeks at the beach, lots of walking and swimming. My knee felt great. Really strong! But now back to work and my knee hurts. Hmmm, maybe there is a message in that. Still working on my IT band stretches and restarting PT tomorrow. Good luck with the tendon issue.
 
we have actually considered moving there but, when we're there, we miss the two grandkids who live near us in Kansas. When we're in Kansas, we miss the two in Phoenix. I can't win!
It's hard, isn't it?
I live in NZ, and have one granddaughter in England and two in NZ. I'm always torn!

PS: How is your mother now?
 
Thanks for asking, @Celle . My mom is doing quite a bit better but continues to have repeated bouts of uti's. She lives in rural Nebraska and has only one choice of urologists to go to. I am trying to talk her into going somewhere else -- seems like they never stay cleared up for more than a week or two.

And yes, it is very hard to be so torn.

Roxie
 
I'm glad she's doing better. Does your mom have bouts of dementia with the UTIs? That's happened to the moms of a few friends.
 
No, @KarriB , no dementia as far as I, or my sisters, can tell. I wish they could get it figured out and I wish I could convince her to travel to Omaha to see another doctor.

Roxie
 
That's good. I've just recently heard of this, UTI causing dementia in older individuals. When the UTI is gone they seem to be able to revert back slowly, but not fully. How far would Omaha be from her home?
 
My mom has a lot of UTIs, too. She recently woke up with all the symptoms and scheduled a visit with her doctor later that day. Then she did something she hadn't done before. She made a mix of essential oils and Epsom salts and soaked in the tub. Doctor sent her home with antibiotics, but before she could begin taking them called to tell her not to, she didn't have an infection.

Email or message me if you want to know the recipe for what she did.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom