TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

@sdgrandma Someone posted info about this ice bag so I ordered one for travel - small enough to pack and use hotel ice machines. Gave it a trial run last weekend when we went to Minneapolis to see our new grandson and it worked perfectly. The lid is tight and doesn't leak. The fabric is soft, pliable and doesn't sweat or leak at all. Once the ice was melted I used it for a neck pillow and that worked great as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWOMQ1U?tag=ate362da-20
 
SDKate, I do the same thing when the ice melts. The coolness on my neck helps keep the rest of me cool.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That ice bag looks like a great resource for traveling. I actually have a built-in converter in my car and was able to plug my polar pack in and run it while on the road. However, for people that don't have that option, this is a great option!

Back from my two mile walk this morning -- I got up and did it pretty early because it's supposed to be quite hot today. Now icing my knee because, for some reason, it's a bit tender today.

Roxie
 
I have a plug in the truck and could use my CryoCuff while traveling, but getting the bucket at the right height to work properly sounds like a pain when I'm the driver (easy to do as a passenger). I got the ice bags for our big October road trip, and I hope to to simplify the process (I still need to decide how I'm going to strap them onto the knees).
 
I have something that can be heated or frozen in a velcro wrap that I'll use sometimes on the way home from work.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
 
Thank goodness there's so many options out there that we are all likely to find something that will work for our needs!

Roxie
 
I have two like that with the wide elastic strap that velcros. I use the big pad on my knee and the small one behind the knee.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My goodness. I haven't posted since August 25 -- I come on here and read everyone else's updates but had no idea it had been so long for me.

I will hit the 5 month point the first of Oct. which isn't far away now. I mostly have settled in with my new knee on most days although still have the occasional day when I think, "What did I do!" I still take one Aleve in the morning and one in the evening. I tried the Voltaren gel and it didn't seem to do as much good as the Aleve is right now. I don't have much pain at all but still have some swelling where my femur and kneecap meet. It doesn't affect my flexion and is more an annoyance than anything but I still elevate in the evenings and ice some to try and get rid of it. I also still have a little sore to the touch spot on the lower inside of my knee which I am starting to suspect is bursitis. It doesn't really impact my walking at all but is a bit sore. IT band is ever so gradually settling down -- what a long haul this has been! I stretch a lot and have learned through trial and error what activities cause it to flare up. But really all of these things are more annoyances than anything else and they are all improving. I see my OS for my 6-month check-up in early Oct. so will check with him. My 6-months isn't really up until November but we are making another trek to Phoenix to see our daughter and her family and will be gone for awhile so I had to move the appointment up. Thankfully, my OS will happy to accommodate me.

I can tell my legs are getting a lot stronger. I have no problem or pain standing up from a sitting position and, when I walk, I can really stride out and my gait is good. I still generally do two miles a day but the last two days, I have only walked one mile. The wicked Kansas wind was blowing like crazy and my allergies were not at all appreciative of it. But I have also been able to start my tai chi workout (Classical Stretch) again which makes me very very happy. I did it all the way up to my surgery and really credit it for my leg strength which was pretty good right out of the gate. I had tried it at about 2 months post op but could tell I wasn't quite ready for it then. Now, it actually feels good to do it.

I also feel like I finally got over that energy drain that seemed to go on and on. I would say that really started improving at around 4 months and I feel like my energy level is pretty much back to normal now. Unfortunately, so is my appetite so I've really tried to watch it so I don't gain back the 15 pounds I lost post-surgery. So far, I've gained back two so we shall see how well I do from this point forward. Sleeping has finally improved too to the point where I don't feel hung over when I wake up in the morning! That, in and of itself, probably has a lot to do with the improvement in energy too.

My husband and I went and took lunch to our 4th grade granddaughter today at her school. They have picnic tables set up outside for when students have guests. Other than almost blowing away, it was a very pleasant lunch. Tomorrow my husband takes off to fly fish in Colorado with our son for a few days and I shall have the weekend to myself -- I'll probably spend it in my sewing room.

@wberry , I am counting the days for you and am anxious for you to get things headed in the right direction.

Blessings to all,
Roxie
 
Roxie, what a great update!! Very encouraging!! I know what you mean about the appetite.. I've lost about 20 pounds so far :yes!:... but the last few days, I've been feeling it coming back.. Please share any trick you find to staying on the "straight and narrow", so to speak.. :rotfl:

So glad to hear you are doing so well!!! :happydance:
 
So happy to hear you're feeling so well! Good for you, Roxie!
 
Great report, I will look forward to more. 20 days and counting down.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No real secret, @Braunzie . If only there was! Just trying to make sure that my meals are heavy on veggies and light on a lot of carbs. Some days I do better than others. Sigh.

Roxie
 
f only there was! Just trying to make sure that my meals are heavy on veggies and light on a lot of carbs. Some days I do better than others.
For the most part, I eat very few carbs---Saturday is my "cheat day" and I have some pizza and a few beers. Protein and vegies--- sometimes smoothies for breakfast, or eggbeaters and turkey sausage; for lunch a spinach salad most days.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Roxie

You're doing ever so well and pleased doesn't begin to describe how I feel for you. I think it's brilliant!!! Walking, driving wow xxx

I'm also trying desperately with my weight but to no avail. My time will come. Especially now I have improved mobility.

Please keep going. I've loved reading your posts. Take care

Love Ann xxx
 
It has been a long time since I last posted and I will hit the 5 month point in a few days on Oct. 1 so thought it was high time I checked in. I do try to keep up on your stories but just don't have a lot to report on myself these days.

The knee is doing well with very little swelling. I couldn't say it's 100% gone but probably 90% at least. The IT band still flares up from time to time. I bought a foam roller and an IT band like the one talked about on the bonesmart page related to the IT band. They both have helped quite a bit and, many days, I barely even notice it anymore so I do think it's improving.

It is getting harder for me to be a part of the overdid it club! This weekend, we took the grandkids to the lake on a camping outing and, on Saturday morning, I rode about 4-5 miles on my bicycle with my granddaughter followed by a very steep hike up to the top of the dam and back down again. I had little to no swelling from it and no real pain -- a wee bit of stiffness but that's it. I still walk around 2 miles most days although occasionally ride my bike to break things up a bit. I also am doing my Classical Stretch DVD's several times a week -- it's a tai-chi like workout that focuses on stretching and strengthening with a bit of no-impact cardio thrown in.

I still have a little bit of soreness on the lower medial side of my knee which I really think might be a touch of bursitis. Because of that, I am taking one 200 mg. naproxen in the morning and one in the evening. I also put Voltaren gel on that area a couple times a day. I know you're not supposed to use Voltaren gel with another nsaid but since I'm using it topically and taking a relatively low dose of naproxen, I'm not worried about it. Besides, I don't use much and only use it on the one little area.

My 6 month check-up was supposed to be in early Nov. but, since we are about to head out on yet another trip (visiting daughter and camping in Arizona), they rescheduled it for me to early Oct. I think he will be pleased with my progress. I will ask him about the (bursitis?) and the IT band situation. I don't know if those are things he will want me to go back to PT for or if he will feel they will continue to improve on their own. They're relatively minor but, on the days it flares up, the IT band does occasionally wake me up which I'm not thrilled about.

We've had some beautiful fall days in Kansas and walking outside has been a delight as has been watching the monarch butterflies who love the butterfly bushes in front of my house. I hope all of you are having some beautiful pain-free days too.

Roxie
 
Hi Roxie - taking a moment to catch up on your progress - overdue! So pleased to hear how well you are doing!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom