Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

@Slainte -- Fountain of middle age--that is a good one! I have never felt my actual age, that is until now. So middle age is sounding good.
 
Oh @KarriB , that sounds awful. I'm so glad you didn't get hurt when you fell. I can get up okay but it's not pretty nor something I would want others to see.

I suspect I may also be one of those who always know the new knee is there but I could be wrong -- 4 months is still a long ways from being fully healed so we shall see. How's the school year going?

Roxie
 
Today was the first day for kids. My room isn't air conditioned and the temp in my car was 91 degrees when I left school. If I can just get through the heat of this week I think I'll be ok. I don't do well with the heat and of course with first graders I have a smile smacked on my face for a couple of weeks. Thanks for asking, this is the time of the year that retirement looks tempting.
 
I haven't logged on for ages, but just started reading your post. You are doing great! I am a teacher who did not work last year and had surgery Dec 17,2014. Iam back at work now! I have daily stiffness and swelling. In fact the first week of school, the swelling was noticable. I am 8 1/2 months out. I can finally do stairs up without a hand rail but still need one to go down. I am only 51! Keep up your great work and recoverry
 
Yep, right outside the parking lot. My new car does have a remote starter, so I can start the car from my desk, it was nice and cool when I got out there!
 
I don't know, @wberry . I can walk at a pretty good clip now! But I have no doubt that you'll be there soon too. I guess I was lucky @referee54 and @KarriB , I started teaching in the 1980's and even then our rooms had window air conditioners. Well before I retired, our buildings had all been renovated and we had central air. But then again, we start school fairly early in August here so it would have been almost impossible to teach or learn without it. But I am enjoying retirement and have no regrets that I went ahead and did it!

Nice to meet you @50something . There's a lot of teachers/former teachers on here. Glad you have recovered enough to go back to work and hope you have a great school year!

Looks like a hot week in Kansas so I'm going to have to get up early to do my walking!

Roxie
 
@KarriB -- so glad you weren't hurt! When I got knocked over at church two weeks ago, I wouldn't have been able to get up without help. If I lower myself to the floor from our love seat I can back up to it, get my forearms on the cushion and get myself up but it is such an effort I don't do it often. I do feel like I get better results when I exercise on the floor than on the bed.
 
@sdgrandma it actually hurt more to get up than falling. I tend to fall in slow motion. I'll be 2 years out late fall and it disappoints me that I have such a hard time getting up off the floor. It does force me to keep nothing under the sofa, bed chairs, etc. though. Last year when I lost a sock I had to ask my best friend to come up and look under everything.
 
If I do have to get up off the floor in front of someone, I usually warn them ahead of time. "This is not going to be pretty but I can do it!"

Roxie
 
Celynda, I've only done it a couple of times in the last month -- each time, trying to get a cat out from under something. These cats will be the death of me yet. Have a new kitten who I currently cannot find in this room. She's here somewhere, but that's the problem with adopting ferals -- they are recourceful, and since I've found her in all the easy spaces, she's been finding the tougher ones.
 
i can even get up from little first grade chairs, but the floor, ugh.
 
Haven't even tried.. I'm chicken. I have a coffee table in the front room with a bottom close to the ground that is in desperate need of dusting. The only way to dust is to get down on hands and knees and reach in (after removing books and our pokerchip box)... Not even CLOSE to THINKING about trying.. Even the thought would hurt too much!! :gaah:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah @Braunzie , you're a newbie compared to some of us! I was in my sewing room yesterday and accidentally dropped a pin. I actually stood there and weighed my options - risk stepping on it or get down and look for it. Then I remembered that it might actually be one of my grand babies who step on it and I got right down -- even on hands and knees for a brief minute. Can't say I liked it or did it very long but I was glad to find the pin quickly and get back up!

Roxie
 
If I do have to get up off the floor in front of someone, I usually warn them ahead of time. "This is not going to be pretty but I can do it!"

Roxie
Lol, I remember the first time I sat down on the floor just to see if I could get back up. Graceful (not!). Really- you are doing fantastic for only four months post op!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom