TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

I have the same goals, Roxie...do something at least every day. Isn't it a great feeling to be able to do something that was so painful before? Can't wait to get my other knee done now for that bone on bone feeling is so painful.. is your other knee ok?
 
No, @bluejuju , my other knee isn't great either. But it isn't nearly as bad as my left one was so I think I might get another year or two out of it. But that's probably about it and may be optimistic. The OS said it's just a matter of time.

It is nice to not have the bone on bone pain in the join that had become my norm before the surgery. That's not to say that there's still not little post-surgical issues I'm still dealing with but it really is all improving.

Tonight I had to go pick up some fruit and veggies from a food co-op I belong to. They didn't have it ready, the line was long and it was very hot. I ended up standing out there for a good 45 minutes and my knee is protesting tonight -- I've been icing and elevating and hope it doesn't keep me awake. My IT band hurts and, I don't know if it's possible but it seems like when my IT band flares up, it pulls on something else down to my ankle.

On the other hand, it may be my own fault. I forgot to put my new shoes on and wore old ones to stand out there that whole time. Silly me.

Roxie
 
Have they said the IT band issues will subside over time?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wberry , Dr. Wingerter showed me on my pre-surgical x-ray how the IT band was really stretched out of place and had moved over into the wrong position -- almost in front of my knee. He said it had stretched out too long. Then he showed me the post-surgical x-rays where you could see clearly that it was back in place. But he said it would take it some time to adjust to being back in the right place and settle down. He said it was common to have an IT problem after a TKR and that it usually resolves on its own. However, if it doesn't, he said he would treat it, probably by sending me back to PT. I've also heard of people getting a cortisone injection in it to settle it down too. I have noticed the past week or so that it doesn't seem to be acting up quite as much -- it hasn't awakened me at night for some time now. But tonight I think I just stood for long enough that it acted up.

Roxie
 
I have read that article, @Celle -- several times as a matter of fact. I'm doing the stretches and, honestly, moderate activity such as walking on a level surface seems to help the most. Stairs do hurt it and, as I found out last night, standing in one place forever does too. I'm still going to try massage and see how that does as well.

@wberry , I know Josephine said that she thought part of your issue was your IT band too. It may be pulling abnormally like mine was pre-surgically due to the other issues you are having. Possibly, when you get the other issues fixed, that may take care of itself over time like mine is expected to. Dr. Wingerter did warn me that it could take a few months for it to settle down on its own.

Roxie
 
Yes she did, it was in response to the pain on the side and below the knee. I surly hope this is the case. I think mine takes a while to tighten up. But with my purposeful pulling back because I am worried the patella might be becoming permanently damaged.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know you are worried, @wberry and I would be too. I hope you at least hear about your appointments this week. I am an impatient waiter and sometimes think it's the worst part. Taking life one day at a time is the way to go but it's so so hard.

We went out to eat with friends last night that I hadn't seen since the surgery. It was great to see them. My husband and I both tossed and turned overnight but I think it was something we ate and not the knee -- always something! I woke up this morning though and looked at my knee and could see the outer ridges of my kneecap on the sides. I imagine it will swell up some as I go through the day but it looks pretty good right now. Bit by bit, it's going down. I do still notice swelling where my knee meets my quad -- assume that's normal??

Hope all has a good day!

Roxie
 
Roxie- I'm having that same swelling at the quad/ kneecap..also some pain there in the morning when I get up, but after walking around it goes away. I'm assuming it is normal and that we need to continue with ice and motrin... anyone else have any idea why at 11 weeks we are experiencing kneecap/quad swelling?
 
*raises hand* me too! But I still have some residual MUA swelling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@tigz and @bluejuju , just a thought but do you think maybe the quad swelling has been there all along but we never noticed it until the other swelling started to go down? If so, it should eventually subside too.

Roxie
 
Think you're right Roxie. The OS did point to that area and said I see you still have swelling *there*.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
It will be interesting to see if our swelling all goes down about the same time since we are at the same or a similar timetable.

Roxie
 
I keep thinking I'm behind you in some respects because of the MUA. :-)

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Hmm, I have swelling and stiffness at the top of my knee/quad also. When I stand or walk it feels like I have a weight at the top of the kneecap. I can't "walk" it out and if I walk for more than 10-15 minutes, it really starts to hurt. I'm couple of weeks behind y'all (June 8) so am not sure if it's the same or different. I don't see my OS again for 10 days.
 
It's quite normal to have swelling continue for quite some time after surgery. It can come from overdoing things. Or it can just happen sometimes. Stiffness will often accompany it. It's best to pay attention to any pain or swelling as a sign to scale things back a bit temporarily, ice and take something for any pain. It's not usually something you can "work thorough" by more activity.
 
Mine went down eventually, at least until my recent issue showed up.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@celynda , I'm sure we (at least me) had the swelling when we were at your point too. I just think it's more noticeable now because the swelling all around it has gone down. And @tigz , I know you had an MUA but I think you've made up for lost time quickly!

Roxie
 
Quick update on a busy day. I was able to sleep last night without the plastic wrap and it didn't bother me at all. I almost have a regular kneecap -- not quite but definitely getting there.

Roxie
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom