TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Hi Roxie,

I hope it continues to feel looser and helps lessen the any pain or stiffness long term for you. Make sure you drink a lot of water tonight and tomorrow! Keep us updated!
 
You are certainly going through the ol' wringer, aren't you! I'm so sorry to hear it. But it does sound like the massage was beneficial and I hope you can continue with it for a while. As you know so well.....these things take time and patience....both of which are difficult to come by sometimes.
 
@bluejuju , my swelling is more concentrated in one area so she did it differently. She thought it would help support the IT band too. I hope it continues to help. Are you continuing to be taped?

Roxie
 
I tape about once a week now, keeping it on for two to three days. This week I have a tape running down my incision to help with sensitivity and for a sun block since we are headed to Maine on Wednesday... can't wait to walk on the beach!
 
Lymphatic drainage massage is really great, isn't it? When I get mine done, my feel feel all light and airy like they were going float off the ground! Fantastic!
 
Finally managed to catch up with your thread after spending the last 4 weeks in the wonderful world of recovery! Pleased to hear you're doing well. I'm struggling with a tight band feeling under my knee, underneath the knee joint at the top of the tibia. I see you've had the same issue - any advice you can give me, please? It's like a clamp/tether/vice and is driving me crazy and stopping me walking well. Thanks!
 
Roxie- I can't say if it's the kinesio tape or the compression sleeve, but I have noticed a big difference in my swelling and stiffness-,went to PT today and my ROM was 115/0. Wow- I was just hitting 95 with pain not too long ago. So, something is working - I will continue with both. I have just been doing a strip over my incision- but the basket weave is nice, too. I must say, it's a bit of an owie to take off!
 
That's pretty much where my bothers too, @Raffs . The IT band massage and lymphatic drainage massage have helped a great deal although it's only been one day so I've yet to determine what the long term benefits will be. It really loosened things up and got the fluid moving.

@Josephine is absolutely right. The lymphatic drainage massage was marvelous and so so relaxing -- I almost went to sleep. But the massage on the IT band and other tight muscles was not relaxing -- it hurt while she was doing it! But, when she finished, everything felt a lot looser than it had before.

Getting rid of some of the fluid that was still there really made a big difference in the lingering pain I'd had. I took absolutely nothing for pain last night-- not even Tylenol or ibuprofen -- or this morning and feel fine. Hope it lasts.

Roxie
 
Maybe reverse the order of the massages next time?


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@Kansas Teacher whilst I am more than happy for members to tag me for questions and the like, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't tag me during the course of conversation. I already get 15-20 tags a day which is quite enough, thank you! My thanks .....
 
Three months today since I had my LTKR. My biggest issues are still muscles/ligaments/tendons in the leg readjusting to the new knee. IT band is still tight although the massage did help quite a bit -- I think I need to repeat it. I still have some little pains in the outside of my ankle and outside of my calf. It's crazy what a cascade effect one bad knee can have but I do see tiny minute improvements as I go along so know it will only continue to get better. Sleeping is finally mostly good unless I overdo during the day and then muscle pain around my knee bothers some. but not the joint itself.

I still have a bit of discoloration on the lower medial side of the incision although think maybe it's fading a bit too. The swelling is mostly gone there and in the rest of my knee although I still see some swelling and tightness from time to time.

I do notice that sometimes I get a bit of pain down the front of my tibia -- I'm assuming just part of the healing process too.

Went to the pool with grandkids yesterday and we have had them at our house for 5 days while their parents are on a trip to Mexico. It's been fun but my husband and I will collapse from exhaustion when their parents return tomorrow. They are busy kids.

Hope all of you are doing well.

Roxie
 
Great report, Roxie!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You sound like you're doing great, Roxie. I won't be jealous you're retired since you have the grandkids to wipe you out. :)

- Julie
 
I am jealous both that you are retired and that you have grandchildren! I have four children aged 22 to 30, and all tell me they have no plans to reproduce. That is why I have three dogs. Need something to cuddle.
 
You never know, @Slainte . They're still young enough to change their minds -- my daughter didn't even get married until she was in her 30's.

We are having an uncharacteristically cool August day here in Wichita so I was able to enjoy a mile walk. I may do it again later this evening. I can tell I am getting stronger by how my stride has lengthened out and I am able to walk more briskly. Still some IT issues and I think I need to go for another massage. I do notice that it actually feels better when I'm a bit more active than when I sit around too much. Last night, we drove to Topeka to meet friends which required a lot of time sitting in the car. My IT band was not happy about it and let me know in the night. Frustrating.

Roxie
 
I cannot yet imagine walking a mile. That sounds great!
 
My IT band was not happy about it and let me know in the night. Frustrating.
It can be frustrating at this stage of recovery---as you are moving forward and accomplishing great milestones such as a one mile walk, there are indeed little mischievous parts of our body that still like to remind us that it is a work in progress.
 
Sitting a long time does my knee in. That's one good thing about my job, all the up and down.

That's a great walk, Roxie!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom