TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

I did, but I took it off around 2:30a since I couldn't sleep and it was making me itchy.
I did end up getting about five straight hours of sleep, though...good for me. I must say, it did help with the sensitivity....was able to have my blanket over my knee ! Thanks for the tip, Roxie!
 
When I took mine off around 6 this morning, it was kind of sweaty underneath! And itchy -- so I get what you are saying. But, yay for 5 hours of sleep and improved sensitivity @bluejuju ! I think probably the fact that the wrap holds the warmth in also helps our knees stay looser through the night and less likely to wake up when we roll over, etc.

roxie
 
l used vitamin E oil under the Saran wrap when l was trying it,,my scar all but disappeared wish l could say the rest of my trouble with my knee did,,The head physical therapy lady looked at my knee Tuesday,went in her office came back out and said l had a OS appointment for Thursday,,She said something not right? Maybe some answers,,
 
I guess I'll try the Saran wrap trick tonight. I'm doing great during the day but nighttime is still a challenge. There aren't enough drugs in the world. Do you think using the paper towels underneath would prevent the sweaty feeling?
 
@sabbath so glad you have an appointment!

@Gigi32 I think the youtube vid mentioned paper towels under the saran wrap for people early in their recovery?

@Kansas Teacher now that I think about it, I think it made me itchy which was why I haven't tried it again.

Before my MUA I wasn't a fan of the rocking chair in our family room. Now it's my favorite seat as I browse the forum. :-)

- Julie

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Yes warm, but the lotion soaks in and leaves things soft and pliable.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Warm and moist is a great breeding place for nasties. I got some red bumps on the left leg one time, stopped using it on that leg until the rash was cleared up. Suspect using plastic on clean legs is a really good idea. Maybe lotion helps kill germs? I did try it with paper towels under the plastic before the incision was completely healed and things went fine but didn't seem to make me more comfortable so I dropped the treatment for a few weeks and now love it.

I find it is terrific for stiffness and it is very soothing to have warm knees when I am waiting for sleep to happen. Stiffness is partly swelling so guess it is good for that. I haven't had a sensitivity problem makes sense that having something over the knee that doesn't move when the leg moves would be a good idea.
 
I think I would have been reluctant to use it too early on (before things were completely healed) for that very reason, @KYata . It sure works like a charm now though and did the job last night again.

I can actually see the outline of a kneecap now although the swelling is not 100% gone at almost 11 weeks. The swelling -- and tight band feeling -- I have left is mostly across the bottom of my knee where it meets the tibia and top where it meets the femur. It all loosens up when I ride the bike for 5 or 10 minutes but does stiffen up again later. I'm still taking two extra strength Tylenol in the morning and two before bed in addition to 600 mg. of ibuprofen with breakfast and my evening meal. I had been doing 3 doses of tylenol throughout the day the dropped it back to two and have had no problems. I actually got up this morning and thought, "Hmm, do I even need my Tylenol this morning?" But I don't want to push my luck and I am having some of those weird pains in the front of my tibia that some of you talk about so went ahead and took it. Was it you, @referee54 , who said once that every time swelling decreased, something else ached? I'm waiting for the day I wake up and nothing hurts.

I noticed yesterday when looking with friends at a house they were building that standing around for a lengthened time really made my knee/leg ache on the lower medial side. Walking around doesn't bother but standing in one place does. I'm assuming I just need to make everything stronger -- any additional ideas? I did buy some new shoes but didn't have them on yesterday so that might do the trick.

Take care all and I hope you are enjoying temps cooler than we are right now.

Roxie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of New Balance shows I really love. I also found I need to get new inserts after the knee surgery because my foot stands different than before


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm waiting for the day I wake up and nothing hurts.
One aspect that came to me was that, for a long time, what was abnormal became normal---I was bowlegged and the muscles were not working quite the way they should---they were, I guess for lack of a better word, compensating for each other.

After my BTKR, my legs were aligned correctly and suddenly, my muscles were saying, "What's going on? We haven;t been like this for a long, long time!" The mechanics of walking, standing, etc, became new, as the muscles had to "learn" the the and, ironically, correct mechanics that was absent for so long.

I noticed yesterday when looking with friends at a house they were building that standing around for a lengthened time really made my knee/leg ache on the lower medal side
That is normal---again, even though you are not moving, your muscles are working to support you and to maintain your balance, and sometimes the stamina and sometimes the mechanics itself is off a little bit. It will get better with time

I have a pair of New Balance shows I really love. I also found I need to get new inserts after the knee surgery because my foot stands different than before
Many of us recommend getting entire new pairs of shoes, as the wear pattern on the outsole is matching the old and dysfunctional mechanics.

With the new and normal mechanics, new shows will not have a wear pattern and they will not interfere with your new gait.

I also like New Balance, as they come in widths. My umpiring shoes,---both my plate shoes and my base shoes---are NEw Balance and they are both 11 1/2 4E!
 
I did just buy a new pair the other day too. Today, we went to the gym and I rode the recumbent bicycle for 2 1/2 miles then did a short set of exercises on the hip abductor and adductor machines (I hope I got that right!). I kept the setting very low and only did 12 of each.

This afternoon, our beloved Wichita State Shockers were having an open scrimmage/practice so we went and watched them for awhile. I wore my new shoes and walked into the arena and back to the parking lot without a bit of trouble and absolutely no limp or pain. It brought back memories of how painful it was to even walk from the parking lot to the arena last season. We even upgraded our season tickets last year so we would have a closer parking spot due to my knee. Things like that remind me of why I'm so glad already that I did this. I still have the occasional bad day now and then but I'm starting to see daylight.

Glad to hear that about the standing/body mechanics. It makes perfect sense.

Roxie
 
Well @Kansas Teacher - I tried the Saran wrap trick last night and I can't say I'm a fan yet. It seemed to help for a couple of hours and then I found myself frantically tearing at it at 1am to get it off it was so annoying. I had a miserable night and more miserable day, but that's probably my own fault. I exercised and rode the bike for 10 mins yesterday then took my Mom to the grocery today while lugging my 8 week old grandson around in the car seat. I'm really stiff and swollen right now so I hope ice all night will get things on track. Ughhh...it was one of those days where I kept saying "why did I do this?"
 
don't be discouraged, I think the grocery store is hard, all that walking around. since I am pushing a cart I concentrate on proper gait and it seems so effortless until I get to the checkout and have to wait in line, I always ice and elevate when I get home, sometimes before putting everything away!
 
I tried the Saran wrap trick last night and I can't say I'm a fan yet.
Just a word of caution for everyone here:
The Saran wrap is recommended mostly for decreasing sensitivity in the scar. If it helps with stiffness and swelling, that's a bonus, but it's not the primary purpose.

Certainly, it should not be used until your skin wound is completely healed and there are no scabs or open areas.
 
@Gigi32 , I'm sorry the saran wrap trick didn't work for you and that you had such a rough day. Hopefully, today is better. Grocery stores are exhausting in and of themselves -- let alone carrying around a baby in a car seat. I am ahead of you and didn't even attempt to carry my grandson in his carseat. Those things weigh a ton and you can't walk normal carrying them.

I know that @Celle is right. The Saran Wrap completely takes away my sensitivity but doesn't really help with swelling or stiffness in my case.

I may have overdone a bit yesterday with the hip abduction and adduction machines. Last night, the sides of my knee kept me awake hurting although they weren't sensitive due to the saran wrap! I felt better when I got up this morning though and took a walk around the neighborhood early in an effort to avoid the hundred degree weather we've been having. It felt good and loosened things up and now I'm icing.

I seem to be at the point in my recovery where staying active actually makes the knee feel better but I have to also be careful because being TOO active kind of causes a delayed pain reaction. It's all a balancing act and hard to find the tight wire.

Roxie
 
Roxie,

Which app on your phone are you using to measure ROM?

I know what you mean about feeling like you can do something or be more active and then realizing afterward that was a mistake. I'm almost 6 wks out and this has happened to me a couple of times in the last week. It's so frustrating!


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
Roxie,
I have had some of the sensitivity. I can't sleep with my sheets and blankets yet, I use a soft throw at night so I thought it might help, but I guess I'm too soon because the pain and spasms seem to be my main problem at night right now. Yesterday was just a bad day all around. The baby had his shots this week and I think that made him fussy because he wouldn't nap all day yesterday unless I held him, and I was cranky from not sleeping. Honestly, dealing with my mother is worse than dealing with him - she wears me out at the grocery. I took 50 mg of Benadryl last night and it knocked me out. I woke up once to go to the bathroom around 2 am, put ice back on my knee and went right back to sleep. It's amazing what a few hours sleep will do for you. The baby is much better today and doing what babies are supposed to do - eat, sleep, poop, rinse and repeat.
 
Glad things are looking up for you, @Gigi32 . Moms, babies, sore knees -- not a good combination! My sensitivity is much improved at 11 weeks -- finally -- so I may not need to use the saran wrap much longer. It does help though.

@celynda , I downloaded an app called "Goniometer records." Took me a bit to figure it out though.

I opted to skip the gym today since I walked a good distance this morning. My goal is to do something -- but not the same thing -- everyday. That way I will not overwork anything but will stay active within reason.

Roxie
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom