Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

As for the swelling, mine took quite some time to go away---I still had swelling at the end of the school day when I returned to teaching after Christmas break. I would say, in looking back, that I had some type of swelling for at least three months after the BTKR. It did subside, but I still had some. It was not until 6 months when I was at around 80%-85%, and it was at 8 months when I could say that I was close to 90%-95%.

I still was icing from time to time, even six-eight months out. Please take a look at this article.

Life in the slow lane
 
As for the swelling, mine took quite some time to go away---I still had swelling at the end of the school day when I returned to teaching after Christmas break. I would say, in looking back, that I had some type of swelling for at least three months after the BTKR. It did subside, but I still had some. It was not until 6 months when I was at around 80%-85%, and it was at 8 months when I could say that I was close to 90%-95%.

I still was icing from time to time, even six-eight months out. Please take a look at this article.

Life in the slow lane

That was a good article -- and a good reminder, @referee54 . Thank you for your frequent admonishments and reminders -- I have needed every single one of them and probably will continue to do so. I do have one question about it. It referred to PT being harmful. Now, having been on Bonesmart awhile and having read most of the articles, I am aware that too aggressive of PT is certainly harmful and I am assuming that is what you are talking about in the article. My PT is pretty gentle and my OS told me yesterday, he'd have been happy if I'd have been at 80 or 85 flexion instead of the 108 I was at. So I don't feel I'm getting a lot of pressure from either of them. I just wanted to clarify that.

What a ridiculously cool (50 degrees) day we are having for this late in May. Overcast, cloudy, gray and had more rain overnight. I'm wanting to go hang out on my deck or my front porch but it's too dang cold. I suppose when it does warm up, it will go from 50 to 90 in about 24 hours -- that's what tends to happen in Kansas.

Roxie
 
I was going to do some light weed whacking today, but after early morning hours discomfort, I modified those plans to more recliner time.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I have a rather large back yard---over an acre, so I not only weed whack, but also use some Roundup on certain spots.

Seeing the date on your surgeries, I would not weed whack for some time. You may want to do it, but I would wait until the knees are further along in the recovery.
 
My husband has been doing to mowing (a little grudgingly, but he agrees I cannot yet even on the riding mower). I've done a little weed whacking in short stints. I take two batteries out once a week and get done what I can. It's been working okay, but I'm watching carefully not to overdo.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Ah, sunshine. At least for a day before we have rain again Friday through Monday. It's either feast or famine in Kansas, it seems.

I've finally moved from the recliner to my bed -- with extra pillows -- and am sleeping a tiny bit better. I took one percocet and one tylenol before bed and didn't wake up to take more so I was hurting at 7 this morning. Needless to say, I took some right away and feel better now. I have PT at 11:30 this morning and am going to exercise my new freedom and drive myself. It's a very short distance from my house so will be a good warm-up.

Roxie
 
It's nice to get back in bed. Just now getting where I can turn on my side and sleep a little. Been on my back with leg or legs elevated on pillows. I'm headed home Sunday. It has been a nice visit with Mom and Dad even with all the pain. but I'm ready to get home. Driving :yahoo:can't wait, good for you!
 
Oh wow... I only used the recliner for two nights because I've never been one to sleep well in it. I think I was awake more than asleep those two nights!
 
Well I drove myself to PT, made a quick stop at Whole Foods on the way home and then came on home. It felt good to get out and drive and I had no problem. My stop in Whole Foods was so short that I did okay there too. The PT spent a lot of time today massaging around the area of the incision now that my staples are out. I would have expected it to hurt but it felt surprisingly good. He didn't measure ROM today and I won't see him again until Tuesday so will just do my simple exercises between now and then.

The skin around my incision is getting kind of sensitive now that the bandage is off. How long does this last and is there a simple solution?

Roxie
 
Roxie, I have sleeves from my offload braces, and they work well to help with that sensitivity against the sheets at night. If you have a pair of thigh high panty hose, that would work too. So would regular pantyhose, strange as that might be.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks @PolarBear60 . I will try that. Today is the 3-week birthday of my new knee. I am starting to see improvement in quite a few areas. Pain is better -- not so much generalized as just some localized areas that I assume were the areas that had more trauma during surgery. Tylenol seems to do the job during the day although evenings are still tough and taking a percocet then helps me get more comfortable. I think part of my problem is I almost waited too long to have this done. From limping on it for so long, I had developed some mild shin splints, tendinitis in my ankle and IT band issues! I should have fixed this before everything else fell apart too. But, the surgeon just says now that everything is properly aligned and the knee is functioning well, it's just going to take some time for the rest of my leg to heal up and start working properly as well. So again, that nasty "P" word rears its ugly head -- Patience.

That dang tight band feeling still drives me nuts across the front lower part of my kneecap. My ROM is progressing very well but I think I could bend almost normally if I didn't have the swelling/tight band. I know it will improve and I've read the information on bonesmart but, I sure want it to happen yesterday!

Another rainy gloomy dreary day here in Kansas. We are going to float away soon, I fear!

Have a great day, all.

Roxie
 
I know what you mean about yesterday. I'm such an over doer anyway.:good-bad:. I just keep talking to myself, "be PATIENCE!." It aiways helps to see someone doing so good. I know not to compare, But I think it is encouraging. Keep up the good work:egypdance:.
 
@Bilbo , some days I think I'm doing great. Other days I feel so stiff and that tight band-like feeling hurts enough that I'm not sure. I guess for all of us, it just takes time.

Roxie
 
I just keep massaging the tight areas -- pulling my fingers along them from bottom to top like my therapist did) and gently flexing. That has helped me a lot.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60 , maybe I need to work on doing that too. Part of it is just from post-surgical swelling and the massage might help with that a bit too if I'm gentle. I took one percocet and one tylenol at 10 when I went to bed last night and didn't wake up until 6. It was stiff then, but not quite as bad as it has been. I took another percocet and tylenol and, other than a bit tight, it feels good now. I'll probably only need tylenol the rest of the day if anything.

We have some friends who live in Denver now who will be stopping by for a bit today enroute to a wedding. It's always a treat to see them. They're the ones we took a cruise to Hawaii with last February. Unfortunately, he needs a knee replacement too and, even though he's about two years older than me, is getting the whole run-around about being too young. I'm going to encourage him to get another opinion.

Another cool, dreary rainy day here in Kansas. Kind of a broken record, I'd say. Have a great day, all.

Roxie
 
I saw that the middle of the country is getting ALOT of rain. So dreary...on the other hand Pittsburgh was a chilly 36 degrees, but now there's sun, blue skies and we should get up to 70. I'm going to be pulling weeds.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom